What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#FireROD (UPDATE: #woot!)

Jennifer Lawrence GIF

Good start. I would not want a permanent hire at this point though as I am hoping we can hire an actual qualified OC and let him bring in his guys for that system starting in December.

Well, that is one. Hard not to view it as a positive. Until there is real and substantial change at the top, and everyone from the Pres. down is all about success at FB, we are re-arranging deck chairs. I am looking for many more heads to roll.

Well, that is one. Hard not to view it as a positive. Until there is real and substantial change at the top, and everyone from the Pres. down is all about success at FB, we are re-arranging deck chairs. I am looking for many more heads to roll.
While I agree, this was the elephant in the room.

The weakest link on the coaching staff has been removed.

It's a good thing and a great first step.

it is a start. i don't want to celebrate a guy losing his job and the cajun schtick in boulder was somewhat endearing. still, his resume didn't exactly scream "ready for p5" ball. the guy from bama as an interim is a good choice. he's got more big program experience than the guy he is interim replacing.

Someone sent a great suggestion on twitter.

James Cregg

Pac-12 ties as USC OL Coach from 2010-13
CO ties (went to CSU & was a GA there + coached the Broncos OL from 2014-16)
More west coast ties by coaching the Rams after the Broncos
LSU OL Coach who delivered the national championship

They fired him in 2020. Officially, they said "for cause" and are trying not to pay him. He's suing. Basically, he admitted to NCAA investigators that he'd had illegal contact with a recruit during Covid, but the NCAA didn't issue a violation so it really didn't rise to a "for cause" termination. Rumor is that the real reason he was fired was because there was a blue chip recruit he was the lead on, he was assumed to be a LSU lock, and he lost him so Coach O terminated him.

He was making $700k at LSU,, so maybe out of our reach. But you never know. I think this is a call you have to make.
Kind of shocked Arizona State hasn't hired him already.

it is a start. i don't want to celebrate a guy losing his job and the cajun schtick in boulder was somewhat endearing. still, his resume didn't exactly scream "ready for p5" ball. the guy from bama as an interim is a good choice. he's got more big program experience than the guy he is interim replacing.
If Vlachos gets something done with this OL, give him the FT gig.

Well if that's what it looks like it could mean, I was excited for about 10 minutes and then McChesney just pissed all over my oatmeal and then curb stomped me
I think he’s saying that he would agree to be hired if offered the job. He reminds me of the folks who appear on the ABC “The Bachelor/ette” franchises. The relationship ending would be about as dramatic.

I am excited to see what Coach Vlatos can do with the line! If they were being poorly coached, then maybe he can loosen them up and they can return to run blocking like last year and maybe they can give Lewis a second longer

The thing that sucks is this likely doesn’t make a bit of difference in our on field play for the remainder of the year.

There is a reason offenses are typically behind defenses in spring training and fall camps. OL “gelling” and getting the communication down on blocking schemes takes months of work.

The thing that sucks is this likely doesn’t make a bit of difference in our on field play for the remainder of the year.

There is a reason offenses are typically behind defenses in spring training and fall camps. OL “gelling” and getting the communication down on blocking schemes takes months of work.
Unfortunately true.

I think you’re right about drastic improvement, but if they are able to identify the issues the group is having with communication and the defensive fronts, I think we will notice a difference.

I don’t think people truly understand just how awful things were under Rod. It might as well have been one of us out there

OL is about assignments and getting off the ball fast. We have done neither well this year (stating the obvious). Just like any position, in order to play fast you have to know your assignment and trust those around you. Both are correctable, but agree that it takes time.

No reason this shouldn't have been done going in to the bye week at the latest.

I’m all for this change, but does it seem weird that we are promoting the guy who was responsible for coaching blitz pickup? Have we picked up a blitz this year?
My thoughts exactly. I do not want to dance on Coach Rod's grave, but that is why CFB coaches are handsomely compensated, they can get the heave ho pretty quickly and unceremoniously. I wish him well in future endeavors.

Back