What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#FireROD (UPDATE: #woot!)

So Dorrell acknowledges OL play has been an issue the entire season, but says this was the right time to make the change. Feels like they spent the bye week trying to figure out the issues in order to avoid firing anyone, but when nothing was really different, this was the only thing left to do.

If, in the end it falls on coaching, then we can assume KD will step down at the end of the year!

So Dorrell acknowledges OL play has been an issue the entire season, but says this was the right time to make the change. Feels like they spent the bye week trying to figure out the issues in order to avoid firing anyone, but when nothing was really different, this was the only thing left to do.

Well shucky darn, golly gee whiz, I guess we'll kinda sorta have to do something eventually.

It’s obvious that whatever the “fix” was supposed to be after the bye week didn’t work. But since Ariz gave up in the second half, KD was willing to give it one more week.

If, in the end it falls on coaching, then we can assume KD will step down at the end of the year!
He means it all falls on the position coaches because he isn't actually involved in the day to day meetings, so he is just now trying to figure out what the issues are specifically.

In all seriousness, Dorrell has been a career WR coach, with the exception of 3-4 years where he had QB/OC roles. I am serious when I say that I'm unsure if Dorrell, himself, knows enough about OL play to actually fix issues and make necessary adjustments. I think Saban or Kirby once said that they lean on their OL coaches more than any other member of the staff, particularly for in game adjustments, because it's the one position group where 5 guys have to be on the same page and all performing well for the offense to be successful.

How did Dorrell (or RG/LC/etc) ever think he could get away with hiring an OL coach with the resume and lack of experience of Rodrigue?

To be fair, they can kind of treat this week as a bye week with a scrimmage on Saturday.

Does this mean KD will need to pop into a few O line meetings this week? Because him popping into other meetings has really worked well.

I don't know who needs to hear this, but if I hear one more mother****er suggest that CU hire Matt McChesney in any capacity as a coach, I will personally find that person and kick their ass.

1. MitchRod was an absolute unmitigated disaster as the OL coach, and many (correctly) point out that he was a HS OL coach before getting to CU. He had at least coached OL in college in some capacity. To my knowledge, McChesney has never coached organized football at any level. Period.
  2. "He'd at least lock down Colorado recruiting."
    1. See the top overall point- he's never coached a day in college. That also means he's never recruited an OL to a school. If you were a premier OL prospect, you're going to go to CU and be coached by a guy who's never coached at this level?
    2. Here's the list of Six Zero guys I could find (also think Aidan Keanaaina‍ and Atteberry are missing). It's about half of the 4-5* to come from the state since he opened his doors.
    3. If I were a HS coach, I'd be pissed off at a guy who thinks he can coach and train my players better than I can to the point he charges for it- do you think many of them are on friendly terms with McChesney?
  3. McChesney, and more specifically his personality, would cause major issues at CU. Remember how I said it was plenty humiliating to be a CU fan right now? What happens when two assistant coaches get into a fistfight on the sideline?
  4. STOP HIRING GUYS BECAUSE THEIR PRIMARY QUALIFICATION IS THAT THEY USED TO BE BUFFS
  5. Again, and this is the most important point, we just got rid of a guy who was hilariously underqualified- you want to see that movie again?
Has anyone seen Matt McChesney and Joe Rogan in the same room together?

Our boosters are what got us Jon Embree as head football coach. Love their passion and support, but they need to be removed from the decision making process on coaching hires.
Lame. Works at USC and Tex…
Never mind.

Build the Bridge to Success​

Egos at the door. If you are ready to work, we are ready to take you to the next level.

Although we specialize in football training, we offer speed, agility, and strength training programs that cross over to all sports. We can also tailor a program to your sport or team. In our gym we also can offer personal 1-on-1 sessions with professional footballers who know what it takes to be seen and taken seriously in high school and college.
He just decided to plagiarize the Church of Scientology and add some football jargon.

In all seriousness, Dorrell has been a career WR coach, with the exception of 3-4 years where he had QB/OC roles.

Also, not including the 5 seasons he was the head coach at UCLA, of course. I absolutely agree the Rod hire was a huge mistake, clearly, and it's easy to bash all our coaches (rightfully so in many cases). But I think the crux of all the problems with our team have stemmed from the atrocious OL problem. Not sure if the cause was only Rod, but I'm willing to see if team improvement is possible with better OL play. Not sure that can be "solved" this year, though.

To be fair, they can kind of treat this week as a bye week with a scrimmage on Saturda

I think this is exactly how the team should be looking at this. There is NO chance of beating Oregon, so let's use to to work on the proper OL techniques... that Rod had them "unlearning." I also don't think Landman or Lang should play. Any Senior that doesn't need reps should sit in favor of players who can benefit from live reps: re most of the second and third teams.

Even more, I think we should start the game with our second team. The game will get out of hand super fast in the first quarter, then we can put in our starters who can benefit from getting some "live" work (with the proper techniques) against OU's second and third team....truly treat this as a lengthy scrimmage...

This is good news. And probably bad news too.

The Good: It's great that we have a guy on staff that knows some of the players and their tendencies. He's got a decent pedigree with NFL experience and is off the Saban coaching tree (I assume). As QC in that particular role he has obviously spent a lot of time thinking about tactics and strategy.
The Bad: Why did it take this long? I would have to assume questions were asked of him and opinions were expressed. Perhaps help was even offered. As QC role he probably has not coached any of the players directly. Not sure how long its been since he last coached but I dont think of that as bad. Is this the 'Fire Rodrigue before I fire everyone else to save my own ass' move?

Pretty obvious McC was campaigning for the job and didn't get it. That's at least somewhat encouraging we didn't cave and hire someone desperate and unqualified. Time will tell if we are truly committed to improving based on who is the OL coach going in to next year.

Does Matt hold an assistant coaching position or head coaching position at the HS level currently? Or in the past?

High School o-line coaching experience ✅
Connection to Mac era✅
would accept $750,000 salary ✅
Tan rested and ready✅

all I need is to get the Twitterverse behind me, correct?!?
No coaching experience for me, but I did play OG/DE in high school (albeit not good…and under-sized, but managed to be “big” for my school”

I’d take the job for 250K and benefits based on “lack of experience”. I’ll even recruit!!

The fact that guys like FlaBuff would actually be an upgrade, and the rest of us couldn’t do worse than Rod, says everything we need to know.

I have. He and I were in the J School together (no fake mustache). I used to beat him up for lunch money.

You're just bitter because he stole your girl.
Truth be told, I think he’s pissed at me for letting him take her.

Back