What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Football Spring Practices start February 22nd

I'm totally looking forward to the Dartmouth/Alabama match up in next years national championship game. Those practices they run at Dartmouth really make a difference.

Was the Dartmouth DC available when we hired Eliot?
Man, what an embarrassment that we didn't hire that guy.

I'm totally looking forward to the Dartmouth/Alabama match up in next years national championship game. Those practices they run at Dartmouth really make a difference.
Again with the logical fallacies. Perhaps this is intentional?

I don't really dislike anyone on this board, but you are the rare mix of brash and uninformed who believes that having opinions on everything equates to being knowledgeable.

Have a good day and I will no longer waste my time engaging you in any sort of fashion.

Just because something is done at a lower level, doesn't mean there isn't validity to it. Harbaugh stole UM's "train" formation on offense from a Colorado High School and they use it quite often in the RZ and short yardage. In fact, a lot of innovative concepts come from the high school or lower level college programs. I'm pretty sure Randy didn't suggest that Dartmouth was a powerhouse program that could compete with Alabama, just that they are doing things in practice that is eliminating as much same-team contact as possible to avoid both short term and long term injuries. I would wager that most big time programs will be adopting similar methods within 5-10 years. Sackman's inability/refusal to change or adapt with the times never ceases to amaze, and I've only known him as an internet poster for a couple years.

Agree @TSchekler , thank you. For anyone interested this is what I was referring to and a pretty cool concept, http://www.mobilevirtualplayer.com/ .

I am not suggesting that this method is flawless or should be preferred, just offering a different viewpoint. In addition to Dartmouth College using this method, many NFL and NCAA coaches support this method and can see the benefit.

“The applications we are quickly finding are endless. It never gets tired and it runs at an appropriate football speed. In today’s NFL, with player safety the focus, I think it’s going to provide opportunities to improve without the hand to hand or man to man combat.”
– Steelers Head Coach, Mike Tomlin

I could probably support what the Ivy League did with removing all tackling from practices during the fall season. But I think you have to practice tackling at some points in your annual schedule if you want the team to be good at tackling and safe in how they do it.

I read that whole article and not one word on how to conduct a Spring Game.

Logical falacy?

I could probably support what the Ivy League did with removing all tackling from practices during the fall season. But I think you have to practice tackling at some points in your annual schedule if you want the team to be good at tackling and safe in how they do it.

Certainly. But that is where the tackling device comes in for them. They can practice tackling while limiting risk of injury. The first year that they used the system they had the #1 rated scoring defense in the country.

Dartmouth only plays a 10 game schedule, maybe we should try that too
Again, not saying that we should adopt this, just that there are some alternative ideas out there. Would it make you feel better if Notre Dame, West Virginia, and the Dallas Cowboys incorporated the system into their practices?? Because they have.

You have to be physical in practices, get the form down at least. Hitting drills in other words. It doesn't have to be taking guys to the ground but the spring game they should. You can get hurt just as easy when nobody hits you at all.

Maybe we can incorporate some sort of air bag system that inflates at a certain g-force and encapsulates the player in a sort of bubble wrap. Then they could use it on the lazy river after practice.

These responses are just wonderful. Thank you all for your well researched and applied responses.

We have a difference of opinion, that's fine. But at least take the time to look at the research and alternatives rather than firing off a irreverent and ridiculous reply. I don't think these kids should have to possibly mortgage their future everyday in practice or go full contact in a Spring game in order to entertain us sufficiently. If there is a viable method to eliminate additional and needless head trauma and bodily injury, it is worth taking a look at, in my opinion. Your response to my opinion shows either a callousness to the student athletes or an inability to properly research and discuss nuanced topics. Neither option is a badge worth displaying.

These responses are just wonderful. Thank you all for your well researched and applied responses.

We have a difference of opinion, that's fine. But at least take the time to look at the research and alternatives rather than firing off a irreverent and ridiculous reply. I don't think these kids should have to possibly mortgage their future everyday in practice or go full contact in a Spring game in order to entertain us sufficiently. If there is a viable method to eliminate additional and needless head trauma and bodily injury, it is worth taking a look at, in my opinion. Your response to my opinion shows either a callousness to the student athletes or an inability to properly research and discuss nuanced topics. Neither option is a badge worth displaying.
Then don't have a spring "game".

I think there is good reason to look at ways to reduce injuries and legitimate ways to do it but ultimately football is a dangerous game, some injuries are going to happen.

By turning the spring game into a glorified scrimmage or worse I agree that they are missing a huge opportunity to build interest among the fan base. We will never have the kind of interest that they do in the south or at some other schools where the local college team is the big deal in the area. This doesn't mean that we should just write off the support we have and that we could build.

Another factor to consider is that these players are football players. They work hard in conditioning the entire off-season. They are busting tail in spring practice while other students are enjoying student life. They want to play football. Why not play something closer to an actual game, give them a few thousand cheering fans, make it fun and reward their hard work. It might just help keep interest up and make them work harder.

The kids shouldn't have to possibly mortgage their future in practice? Give me a ****ing break. I read your research and that's fine, do whatever to minimize injuries. But spare me the poor college kid routine.If it's too dangerous then DON'T PLAY. Use the scholarship to further your career in your field of choosing.

That would be like me telling the military to stop jumping out of airplanes and have a giant slippy slide to the the earth below or switching to marshmallow bullets.

We all make choices, there's more risk the more physical path you choose.

I respect your opinion but have to stop, Ive already gone MTN buff....

They get 8 full contact practices out of 15 mandated and monitored by the NCAA. One of them is the spring game and it should as closely as possible recreate game type situitions for the benefit of the whole team and coaching staff. The reward far outweighs the risk.

That practice is going to be full contact anyway. Why not make it a game simulation?

Back