What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Footballcoachscoop.com

Uh... and? You just named college football royalty. You absolutely can put in Notre Dame in that company. How does this back your argument of "just another school".

In the context of whether Stoops should go to ND, the place he is right now is a better spot. I'd put ND in the level below those schools, frankly. ND isn't Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Texas, etc. It's more like A&M. Large, devoted fan base, historical success, but nothing recent. Good school, but not at the same level academically as Stanford, Northwestern, etc.

In the context of whether Stoops should go to ND, the place he is right now is a better spot. I'd put ND in the level below those schools, frankly. ND isn't Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Texas, etc. It's more like A&M. Large, devoted fan base, historical success, but nothing recent. Good school, but not at the same level academically as Stanford, Northwestern, etc.
its also in South Bend. :puke:

Taking all of Sacky's ND hate out of this thread, if Bob even remotely cheered for ND growing up, and is Catholic, then ND is the ultimate job. Even better if it has had some rough times and he could resurrect the program. More money, a more storied program-- I can see Bob taking that job if offered in a heartbeat.

I don't necessarily disagree that OU is a better place than ND at the moment. I also disagree that ND cannot be every bit the equal of those other schools. An elite coach could change everything. I can also tell you ND is better and will continue to be better than A&M could ever dream of being.

Bob Stoops "dream" job is Ohio State. This talk about ND is ludicrous. But whatever, it makes for fun discussion, I suppose. I wouldn't put any creedence to it whatsoever.

No.

I can tell you for a fact that it is pretty widely known that ND has higher admission standards than most programs.

Because you've been recruited to play football there?

Given that only the NCAA can audit their records there is no way of truly knowing what the standards are to get kids in. The media can not request anything from ND by any sunshine laws like they can with a public school. And ND has a history of not disclosing much they don't have to. This is why the actual amount of the NBC contract is not known nor is the actual budget of ND Athletics known.

It is therefore safe to deduce that if Charlie Weis walked in to the Presidents office and said "I have this 5* kid and I want an exception made for him" we have no way of knowing how that went. You might find the smoke in the fact hat every kid that ND has recruited did or did not ultimately gain admission following LOI. Given the pressure to win and the amounts of money involved they would have an incentive to bend the rules for some kids. Im not saying they do this in a flagrant fashion but I would not be surprised if it occurred once or twice in each class. As long as the kid in question shows up and gets grades its not an issue. It would be foolish to assume that it does not occur.

Last edited:
I don't necessarily disagree that OU is a better place than ND at the moment. I also disagree that ND cannot be every bit the equal of those other schools. An elite coach could change everything. I can also tell you ND is better and will continue to be better than A&M could ever dream of being.

And they are freaking loaded with talent, it would probably be on overnight type fix with a Bob Stoops.

What does ND have that's so wonderful? They have the same historical performance as Army. They lost to freaking Navy this year. Maybe they can start a service academy conference and throw VMI and the Citadel into the group for good measure. They have a bunch of delusional fans and a TV contract. That makes them special? Hype. It's all hype.

Because you've been recruited to play football there?

Given that only the NCAA can audit their records there is no way of truly knowing what the standards are to get kids in. The media can not request anything from ND by any sunshine laws like they can with a public school. And ND has a history of not disclosing much they don't have to. This is why the actual amount of the NBC contract is not known nor is the actual budget of ND Athletics known.

It is therefore safe to deduce that if Charlie Weis walked in to the Presidents office and said "I have this 5* kid and I want an exception made for him" we have no way of knowing how that went. You might find the smoke in the fact hat every kid that ND has recruited did or did not ultimately gain admission following LOI. Given the pressure to win and the amounts of money involved they would have an incentive to bend the rules for some kids. Im not saying they do this in a flagrant fashion but I would not be surprised if it occurred once or twice in each class. As long as the kid in question shows up and gets grades its not an issue. It would be foolish to assume that it does not occur.

:lol:

I guess I cannot argue with that logic. Although your argument falls a little flat when you realize that Urban Meyer gravitated toward Florida because of the academic standards at ND versus Florida. One of the main reasons he took the job in Gainesville is that he knew he would be able to recruit guys that he could never get into school at ND. You can choose to believe otherwise, but your assertion that ND's standards might be below the Big 12 minimum standards is laughable. Utterly laughable.

That tells me everything I needed to know about footballcoachscoop.com. Worthless. Stoops would be insane to take that job. INSANE.

On the other hand, maybe it tells me everything I needed to know about Bob Stoops. :lol:

About 2-3 years ago I'd agree. The problem is, since then, Stoops has been really frustrated by OU's showings against Texas and in BCS bowls. If there's any year for Stoops to bolt, and if Notre Dame is really going to be available, this is the year.

I don't expect him to leave, either. BUT, everyone has that "time to move on" moment with their jobs and he might have had that realization this season. OU won't be much better next year (OL issues will loom large still) and the Sooner fanbase down here is getting antsy.

He's had great success at OU, but if he went to Notre Dame and just got them back to BCS bowls consistently they'd build him a statue under Touchdown Jesus. Remember that, right now, the winning percentages for Davie, Willingham AND Weis is precisely .583. Stoops would roll into ND and win .650-.700 without much effort.

Plus, his wife might be finally winning the "I don't like it here much" war.

I guess I cannot argue with that logic. Although your argument falls a little flat when you realize that Urban Meyer gravitated toward Florida because of the academic standards at ND versus Florida. One of the main reasons he took the job in Gainesville is that he knew he would be able to recruit guys that he could never get into school at ND. You can choose to believe otherwise, but your assertion that ND's standards might be below the Big 12 minimum standards is laughable. Utterly laughable.

Keep in mind that when Mac was here he had 15 more scholarships to work with and was in a conference with easier admission standards then we have now. The big 8 had no minimum gpa which Texas imposed on the other schools. Rumor has it that Mac had an "exception" rule for 1 player per class with Gordon Gee. Was it a big deal, no. Did we win, yes.

I'd agree with you on the Urban Meyer argument.

I guess we'll have to call it a draw for now. :smile2:

Scout.com has ND ranked 11th for 2010 recruiting. Every year they have many of the top players in the nation wanting to play for them, evey though they have stunk for the last 10 years. Private school, tons and tons of $ to spend, huge fan base.

Sounds like a good job to me.

Got this from ESPN Insider:

Coach Dan Hawkins still has his job for now, but the calls for his head are getting louder with each week. Should he be fired, one of the most tantalizing possibilities being floated in the blogosphere is that athletic director Mike Bohn is considering a Kiffin-like arrangement with the Shanahans.

Under this scenario, Colorado would hire Kyle Shanahan, the offensive coordinator of the Houston Texans, as head coach, and his father, Mike, the longtime Denver Broncos coach, would come aboard as some sort of assistant, a la Monte Kiffin with Lane Kiffin at Tennessee. (Indeed, FootballCoachScoop.com reports that Bohn met with Mike Shanahan on Sunday.)

The Shanahans obviously have very close ties to the state, and Mike and his wife just completed a ginormous house (35,000 square feet) in suburban Denver and reportedly are not eager to move. (Would you be?) Kyle turned down a chance to become Minnesota's offensive coordinator last year, citing his desire to remain in the NFL, but running his own program, at age 30 (his birthday is Dec. 14), obviously has a whole different appeal.

With a precedent set at Tennessee, this doesn't appear as far-fetched as it may sound.

And Jim Armstrong thinks that any discussions between Bohn and Mike are about Jeremy Bates.

What makes it so special? The TV contract? They haven't won anything in 20 years. They won a bowl game against Hawaii last year which was the first bowl game since 1993 that they won. They have a TV contract and that's it. Most of the games that they get televised they end up losing. It's just another school. It's OK, but nothing all that fabulous.

And your post answers why ND is still relevant. They've pretty much stunk on ice since Holtz left and they are STILL being talked about. They STILL have their own network. They are STILL independent, unlike Penn State, Miami, Florida State and the like. And STILL, the media and voters prop them up at every turn. College football wants ND to be THE major program. It's just how it is. ND is a NATIONAL school, with no need for a state or region to define it.

Fact is, if they weren't so special Notre Dame wouldn't even be in Div. I-A. They're a private catholic school with crazy-high admission standards in the middle of INDIANA.

I'm 30 and ND has been a joke half of my life, but I "get" why they are where they are. I don't like ND AT ALL but I understand why they get the press they do. I don't know how old sackman is, but I can see people younger than me (maybe a current student?) not getting why ND is what it is. Just speculating on his stance.

Also, I thought blue fonts on message boards were meant to be sarcastic? I read half his posts as jokes until I realized he kept coming with the rhetoric.

Miami is correct that ND can choose to admit whoever they want to. You, however, are far more correct. The fact is that ND chooses not to admit a lot of kids. There is a long list of people who have talked about the admission standards in place there. This article is a pretty good summary of it.

And your post answers why ND is still relevant. They've pretty much stunk on ice since Holtz left and they are STILL being talked about. They STILL have their own network. They are STILL independent, unlike Penn State, Miami, Florida State and the like. And STILL, the media and voters prop them up at every turn. College football wants ND to be THE major program. It's just how it is. ND is a NATIONAL school, with no need for a state or region to define it.

Fact is, if they weren't so special Notre Dame wouldn't even be in Div. I-A. They're a private catholic school with crazy-high admission standards in the middle of INDIANA.

I'm 30 and ND has been a joke half of my life, but I "get" why they are where they are. I don't like ND AT ALL but I understand why they get the press they do. I don't know how old sackman is, but I can see people younger than me (maybe a current student?) not getting why ND is what it is. Just speculating on his stance.

Also, I thought blue fonts on message boards were meant to be sarcastic? I read half his posts as jokes until I realized he kept coming with the rhetoric.

The blue font stays until Hawk is gone. And I'm a man, I'm 41.

I've witnessed first hand the sense of entitlement that exudes from ND and it's followers. Just because THEY think they're something special doesn't make it so. Most of the replies to this subject acknowledge the fact that they haven't been anything special for the last 20 years. If that's the case, then what makes them so special now?

Just. another. school.

I refuse to place them on any kind of pedestal that they don't deserve to occupy. Stoops would be a fool to leave OU. But that's his choice. I'd love to get him out of the Big 12.

It's not a no-brainer because he can make $5 mil/yr in the NFL vs. $1 mil at CU. He is one of the hottest candidates today, doesn't really need to take this job to stay in the spotlight. In fact, failure to be successful at CU might hurt his value.

What NFL team is hiring $7 million dollar coaches recently? All these super bowl winning coaches aren't sitting this year out because they want to, they couldn't get that much as most NFL teams are going with the younger cheaper types and giving them a shot. You think Cower wouldn't go to the Skins for $7 mil a year? The money just isnt there right now.

Besides, I don't think Shanny is that hot of a name anyway. I would love to have him at CU, but I don't see him turning an NFL team around like he did here in Denver 10 years ago.

Miami is correct that ND can choose to admit whoever they want to. You, however, are far more correct. The fact is that ND chooses not to admit a lot of kids. There is a long list of people who have talked about the admission standards in place there. This article is a pretty good summary of it.

C'mon guys. Everyone knows that ND has tough admission standards. Look what Rudy had to go through just to get in. Have we all forgotten the movie?

The blue font stays until Hawk is gone. And I'm a man, I'm 41.

I've witnessed first hand the sense of entitlement that exudes from ND and it's followers. Just because THEY think they're something special doesn't make it so. Most of the replies to this subject acknowledge the fact that they haven't been anything special for the last 20 years. If that's the case, then what makes them so special now?

Just. another. school.

I refuse to place them on any kind of pedestal that they don't deserve to occupy. Stoops would be a fool to leave OU. But that's his choice. I'd love to get him out of the Big 12.

I understand what you are saying, but the point I think is that millions and millions of people, including the media and lots of football coaches DO put Notre Dame on a pedestal. It isn't necessary that you do as well, but recognizing that alot of others do, thus making the HC at ND a coveted one.

Scout.com has ND ranked 11th for 2010 recruiting. Every year they have many of the top players in the nation wanting to play for them, evey though they have stunk for the last 10 years. Private school, tons and tons of $ to spend, huge fan base.

Sounds like a good job to me.

I wonder if Jack Switchback forces Charlie Cheeseburger to shake up the staff and or give up the headset. Given the quality of recruiting better playing calling and preparation might be the answer. Weis is rumored to have rubbed some people the wrong way so there might not be any hope.

I wonder if Jack Switchback forces Charlie Cheeseburger to shake up the staff and or give up the headset. Given the quality of recruiting better playing calling and preparation might be the answer. Weis is rumored to have rubbed some people the wrong way so there might not be any hope.

The thought of Weis rubbing anyone is just wrong, IMO... :huh:

Back