What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game Thread - Men's bball in Knoxville to play #12 Tennessee (Tuesday, 12/8, 4:00 PM MT)

This is somewhat entertaining to read the morning after....

Comparing how we played against a team that lost to a DII school without coaches to how we played against the #12 team in the country. Yes we lost, and dropped the opportunity for a Top-15 OOC road win on the other side of the Mississippi, but they will be fine.

This is somewhat entertaining to read the morning after....

Comparing how we played against a team that lost to a DII school without coaches to how we played against the #12 team in the country. Yes we lost, and dropped the opportunity for a Top-15 OOC road win on the other side of the Mississippi, but they will be fine.
They absolutely will be, but there are some things that are concerning:
- Battey looks like he's just happy to be out there. Right now he's like that character in a movie that is the talented loveable guy, but is just bopping along until the bad guy on the other team does something that pisses him off and then he gets mad and goes off, saving the day. We need somebody to be pissing off Battey right now.
- Covid after effects or not, Schwartz is carrying over some baggage from last season that is very concerning given he should be the Pippen to Kin's Jordan on this team.
- Interesting that it now seems Parquet may be the glue guy on this team.
- Somebody (Tad, Tomlinson, Kin) should have had a talk with Barthelemy at halftime and coached him up with the point that if your shot's just not there, there are other things you need to be doing to help the cause. JRs/SRs can just keep shooting and hope it clicks, FR should not be.
- Still waiting on Daniels to hit a clutch shot or go on any sort of run. Waiting...and waiting...

All that said, get some things straightened out, stay healthy and this is a pretty good team. Just frustrating knowing that if we even bring our B Game last night we could have gotten a W.

Checking game stats, we were -8 on turnovers and +1 on OReb. That's 7 fewer possessions.

Throw in that they got to the line more and shot better. Add in that a bunch of our turnovers were steals - much worse than travels and other TOs that stop play since they lead to run outs.

Should have lost by 20. I'm actually impressed that we can play that bad on the road against a top 15 team and still have a chance in the final game segment.
That's one way to look at it. The other way is that TN shot 35% from the field and if they were closer to their norm we would have been blown out. We hung around because Tenn wasn't able to bury their shots.

That's one way to look at it. The other way is that TN shot 35% from the field and if they were closer to their norm we would have been blown out. We hung around because Tenn wasn't able to bury their shots.
We shot 33% from the field. Not our norm either. So, what's your point?

We shot 33% from the field. Not our norm either. So, what's your point?
My point is that we missed an opportunity to get a win against a good team that was struggling during their first live game action. We didn't execute very well.

My point is that we missed an opportunity to get a win against a good team that was struggling during their first live game action. We didn't execute very well.

Except for the first quarter of the game, we executed well on defense. We also outrebounded them.

That defensive and rebounding effort against a more physically talented team - despite missing parquet - was awesome and hugely impressive. Our front court - the main question mark going into the season - held their own against a bunch of MEN. That's a great sign.

It's too bad we wasted it due to poor offense. However, we shoot 7/22 instead of 5/22 from 3 and it's a last possession game. WE WERE SO CLOSE. Against a top 10 team. Hell yea. Give us credit for the defense and rebounding. And also give Tennessee a lot of credit for making us play like dog **** on offense. Not a lot of teams will have the athleticism, especially at guard, to do that to us.

Kin has an average offensive game and we win this game.

I don't know why anyone is trying to make this mixed bag a turd.

I think I might be beating a dead horse here but when is Tad going improve our offense in the half court? Do we need upgrade the assistant coaches who can properly implement offensive sets?

CU needs to recruit a highly skilled big that can post up and pass so we can get that easy basket down low when the offense struggles (every game) and/or beat the zone by playing in the high post/top of the key and have players cut to the basket. CU has a history of their PF/ leading rebounder being a guard. Hopefully this incoming class makes a difference in the future.

I think I might be beating a dead horse here but when is Tad going improve our offense in the half court? Do we need upgrade the assistant coaches who can properly implement offensive sets?

CU needs to recruit a highly skilled big that can post up and pass so we can get that easy basket down low when the offense struggles (every game) and/or beat the zone by playing in the high post/top of the key and have players cut to the basket. CU has a history of their PF/ leading rebounder being a guard. Hopefully this incoming class makes a difference in the future.

I think we need to keep in mind that you aren't going to be able to do it all, they are college kids. So if you want to focus on the half court, you will have to take away from somewhere else. Can it improve, yes, but I think too often people look at one item that is deficient not realizing that to make that aspect of the game better, you will have to take away from somewhere else.

Generally, I think Tad spends most of his time focusing on defense, and moving things around, doesn't seem to me that much time or energy is spent on the half court offensive sets. And that is ok.

Checking game stats, we were -8 on turnovers and +1 on OReb. That's 7 fewer possessions.

Throw in that they got to the line more and shot better. Add in that a bunch of our turnovers were steals - much worse than travels and other TOs that stop play since they lead to run outs.

Should have lost by 20. I'm actually impressed that we can play that bad on the road against a top 15 team and still have a chance in the final game segment.
I like being overly optimistic and imagining that it would have come down to the last possession if we just hit some 3s; make 3 more of them and it's 56-56, that only brings the team 3P% up to a very reasonable 36.4% (8-22).

One weird thing I noticed last night was, after 10 years of being a fan of a Tad coached team, I never felt like turning the game off...even after that bull**** Vol on Vol elbow violence wrong call that lead to a 5 point swing and killed our offensive comeback burst late in the game. Shows me that I trust Tad's recent teams to hang around because of their defense and rebounding, and will grit it out until the end.

Other bright points:
- I liked the energy Da Silva brought, he'll be a great upperclassmen
- Horne is allsome
- Battey plays solid zone D for an undersized PF/C, and had one flash on offense of the crafty Battey we grew to love last year
- Walton/Battey can be effective bigs when facing zone if we focus on facilitating ball movement through them

Head scratchers:
- Horne & Walker need WAY more minutes
- There is a weird vibe when Schwartz and Daniels are out there at the same time
- Kin feeling alright?
- Half court ball movement took a major step back, that was on us, not them

We have decent depth, just not stars except 4 Kin who cant carry the team when he is gonna be the opponents focus. Rotation: Kin, Parquet, Kee, Maddox, Walker, Horne, Battey and hopefully a better Schwartz. Walton if bigs are in foul trouble. Clifford possibly later in the season. I think the rotation may need to be as many as 9 due to covid related absences during the season.

Yeah, we didn’t play great in our game, offensively, but welcome to college hoops - especially in 2020.

Fixed that for you.

The team learned about the game and had 48 hours to prep for a top 10-15 team. And they didn't practice as much as they wanted to because of COVID restrictions.

Get ready for a LOT of headscratching games this year.

View attachment 41730
Imagine being a top 20 team and half of your total 51 points scored were from free throws. Against ****ing Abilene Christian.

Yeah, we didn’t play great in our game, offensively, but welcome to college hoops.
Hard to shoot when you are getting, allegedly, hacked on every shot.

Yeah, we should definitely recruit Luke Garza. There's dozens and dozens of those guys that are going to be player of the year.

Come On Reaction GIF by NBA

Back