What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game thread - (RV) Men's bball heads to Brooklyn to face #15 Miami (of FL) (Sunday,12/10/23, Noon PM MT; ESPN2)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
With finals week beginning, RV (Recieving Votes) Buffs men's basketball (6-2) 1st heads to the Big Apple to compete in 1 of 4 games being held this Sunday at the "NABC Brooklyn Showcase" (NABC ='s National Association of Basketball Coaches). It should be a great challenge for the team as they face off against the #15 ranked Miami (of Florida) Hurricanes (6-1), with the opening tip scheduled for noon MT.
(The Buffs' game is the 2nd scheduled for the day, with only 2-1/2 hours separating their scheduled start from the start of the 1st game (which is North Texas vs. Furman). Therefore, I assume any unscheduled things such as overtime(s) could easily cause the opening tip-off to slip.)

The game is scheduled to be shown on ESPN2 . (Further info and links are available near the bottom of this thread.)

Note- In the latest (some of the 1st of the season?) NET Rankngs released (dated 12/5/23), the Buffs are at #52, while the Hurricanes are #58.

Go Buffs!!!

(Preview not available as I type this.)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Links with more more info on Miami (of Florida):

Roster
- https://miamihurricanes.com/sports/mbball/roster/
Stats - https://miamihurricanes.com/sports/mbball/cumestats/season/2023-24/
Schedule - https://miamihurricanes.com/sports/mbball/schedule/
Their preview article - Not available as I type this.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media Links:

Live video -
Game is scheduled to be shown on ESPN2. For anyone with a subscription that includes access to that channel, I assume it will also be viewable on the ESPN app and/ or at https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/b3c64cb6-8d74-4fa1-89db-b77e9c86f21e.

Live audio - The games will be available on 850 AM and 94.1 FM in the Denver/ Boulder area and maybe other stations in the Buff radio network. In addition, a free audio stream for the game will be available at https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2865&type=Live .

Live stats - https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=494584

Game notes: (Note- Left empty for games that don't have any as I type this.) -

I really don't want to say this, but the Canes are going to beat us by double digits. They are very much built and coached like FSU, but with better athletes and better coaching. We have to shoot well and TDS and Lampkin must show up. Not holding my breath.

I really don't want to say this, but the Canes are going to beat us by double digits. They are very much built and coached like FSU, but with better athletes and better coaching. We have to shoot well and TDS and Lampkin must show up. Not holding my breath.
Canes don’t have the same paint defense as FSU. Height is extremely different between two squads. The amount of layups we missed at the rim in the FSU game going against their size and length was absurd don’t think we will have that same issue with Miami. -tallest player in their starting rotation is 6’7. They do have very athletic long guards but hope this is a game Eddie can break out.

Hard not to assume they won't turtle when away from the Keg against a capable opponent until proven otherwise.

Hard not to assume they won't turtle when away from the Keg against a capable opponent until proven otherwise.
For ****s and giggles, I looked up some stuff. TDS this season, average ORtg at home (5 games) - 159.8, average away from Boulder (3 games) - 79.3

martin lawrence GIF

For ****s and giggles, I looked up some stuff. TDS this season, average ORtg at home (5 games) - 159.8, average away from Boulder (3 games) - 79.3

martin lawrence GIF
am I correct that metric does attempt to account for the quality of the opponent?

I think his 3pt % is over 60 at home and might actually be 0.00 away/neutral.
The issue is tension/nerves. Can you think of any other?
CU has a great bio-feedback based, relaxation training program. According to the psych dept. many people never learn how to relax, what it feels like mentally and physically. I took it many years ago and learned a lot.
It may not seem macho, but sometimes when you have a simple problem, a simple answer works best. (a whole lot better than, "C'mon. shake it off", "the baskets the same size" stuff.).
A couple of times, Tad brought in Seals, for a bit of training. IMO, being able to relax while performing, can be just as important as learning to be "tough"

The issue is tension/nerves. Can you think of any other?
CU has a great bio-feedback based, relaxation training program. According to the psych dept. many people never learn how to relax, what it feels like mentally and physically. I took it many years ago and learned a lot.
It may not seem macho, but sometimes when you have a simple problem, a simple answer works best. (a whole lot better than, "C'mon. shake it off", "the baskets the same size" stuff.).
A couple of times, Tad brought in Seals, for a bit of training. IMO, being able to relax while performing, can be just as important as learning to be "tough"
Maybe Tad needs to go back to that. Because if we're being honest, other than KJ this might be the softest team Tad has ever had.

I hate to admit that I don’t feel good about our chances versus Miami FL too. I also don’t feel good about PAC-12’s chances to get more than 3 NCAA teams, with strength of other conferences: maybe 2 of CU, ‘Zona, UCLA, USC, Oregon get left out of tourney?

But interestingly similar match-up’s between CU & Hurricanes: Both: running teams, turn-over-prone, can get sped-up, lack of elite toughness. Miami has edge w/ elite shooters & how well their Freshmen playing. But CU with edge in D/Rbding/Starter’s Size&length.

3 Big Questions: 1) does CU force 6’6 245 Big Omier to Bench for 6’10 Nwoko, or does Miami force more minutes for Hammond (vs Miami’s essentially 4-guard starting line-up)?
2) Hurricanes on D trap ball-handler & short-pass to force opponents to make quick decisions on O, & speed-up the game. Can Buffs not get sped-up; like in their 2 losses?
3) Can Buffs take advantage of Starters size to close out on elite shooters, or does Tad go zone or even his switching 1-5 spots D - which might mean less Lampkin at 5?

Backcourt Similarities:
Miami’s Pack, like KJ, are both more scoring PtGs- but edge to KJ for his explosiveness. Miami’s Joseph, like Hammond, both pass-1st/D-1st PtGs- edge to Jospeh for Elite D.
da Silva starts on 6’5 Poplar; CU misses D of injured RJ. Slight Backcourt edge to Miami?

Wing Similarities: Cody vsCleveland/both elite slashers lacking reliable J-shot/Cody’s playmaking w/ edge. But Miami brings BigPt George off bench, whose playmaking is similar to Cody’s. Cody’s athleticism probably gives him edge versus George. 6’7 Christian shooting well (like Miami’s whole team), but Miami doesn’t have good counter to Tristan.+Hadley/O’Brien’s toughness helps give CU the over-all edge on Miami’s Wings?

Frontcourt: Lampkin’s size, D & toughness w/ edge over Omier? Diop&Dak’s skill & athleticism similar to 6’8 Casey. Nwoko’s 6’10 250 neutralizes some of Lampkins advantages. Both Omier & Nwoko w/ edge over Diop/Dak. Slight frontcourt edge to CU?

I hate to admit that I don’t feel good about our chances versus Miami FL too. I also don’t feel good about PAC-12’s chances to get more than 3 NCAA teams, with strength of other conferences: maybe 2 of CU, ‘Zona, UCLA, USC, Oregon get left out of tourney?

But interestingly similar match-up’s between CU & Hurricanes: Both: running teams, turn-over-prone, can get sped-up, lack of elite toughness. Miami has edge w/ elite shooters & how well their Freshmen playing. But CU with edge in D/Rbding/Starter’s Size&length.

3 Big Questions: 1) does CU force 6’6 245 Big Omier to Bench for 6’10 Nwoko, or does Miami force more minutes for Hammond (vs Miami’s essentially 4-guard starting line-up)?
2) Hurricanes on D trap ball-handler & short-pass to force opponents to make quick decisions on O, & speed-up the game. Can Buffs not get sped-up; like in their 2 losses?
3) Can Buffs take advantage of Starters size to close out on elite shooters, or does Tad go zone or even his switching 1-5 spots D - which might mean less Lampkin at 5?

Backcourt Similarities:
Miami’s Pack, like KJ, are both more scoring PtGs- but edge to KJ for his explosiveness. Miami’s Joseph, like Hammond, both pass-1st/D-1st PtGs- edge to Jospeh for Elite D.
da Silva starts on 6’5 Poplar; CU misses D of injured RJ. Slight Backcourt edge to Miami?

Wing Similarities: Cody vsCleveland/both elite slashers lacking reliable J-shot/Cody’s playmaking w/ edge. But Miami brings BigPt George off bench, whose playmaking is similar to Cody’s. Cody’s athleticism probably gives him edge versus George. 6’7 Christian shooting well (like Miami’s whole team), but Miami doesn’t have good counter to Tristan.+Hadley/O’Brien’s toughness helps give CU the over-all edge on Miami’s Wings?

Frontcourt: Lampkin’s size, D & toughness w/ edge over Omier? Diop&Dak’s skill & athleticism similar to 6’8 Casey. Nwoko’s 6’10 250 neutralizes some of Lampkins advantages. Both Omier & Nwoko w/ edge over Diop/Dak. Slight frontcourt edge to CU?
Good analysis. One comment though - our frontcourt doesn't have an edge over anyone right now. We're getting bodied inside by much smaller teams. I'm starting to get tired of opponents completely outworking Lambkin, LOB, etc. I would definitely give the edge there to Miami.

The only way we win this is if TDS shows up, Lambkin toughens up and we limit our turnovers.

Preview in front of tomorrow's game - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/12/9/...et-to-face-15-miami-in-nabc-brooklyn-showcase

"

Buffs Set To Face #15 Miami In NABC Brooklyn Showcase​

By: Troy Andre, Associate Director/Athletic Communications
Tip: 12 p.m. MT
TV: ESPN2 (Kevin Brown, Cory Alexander)
Watch Online: WatchESPN
Radio: KHOW 630 AM (Mark Johnson, Scott Wilke)
Satellite: Sirius XM 161 or 198 & SXM App (960)
Listen Online: CUBuffs.com
Live Statistics: https://statb.us/b/494584

THE BUFFALOES: Colorado is 6-2 following a 91-66 decision over Pepperdine at the CU Events Center on Dec. 10. The win moved the Buffaloes to a perfect 5-0 record at home and will be looking to take that success out on the road. Colorado is 1-2 away from home this year will all three of those contests being decided by six points or less. One of those games - the last neutral site game against Florida State went to overtime.

Colorado is one of the top all-around shooting teams in the country, ranking in the top 11 nationally in all three percentage categories: overall field goal, 3-point and free throws. The Buffaloes are fourth in the nation in 3-point accuracy at 41.8 percent, eighth in overall shooting (.516) and 11th from the line (.787). Colorado is the only program in the nation ranked in the top 11 in all three categories (through games of Dec. 6). The Buffaloes lead the Pac-12 Conference in all three as well.

ABOUT THE HURRICANES: Continuing the momentum from its Final Four run a year ago, Miami is 7-1 overall and ranked No. 15 in the latest Associated Press and USA Today Sports Coaches Top 25 polls. The Hurricanes have won their last two, including a 62-49 home win over Notre Dame in their Atlantic Coast Conference opener.

Like Colorado, Miami is off to a tremendous start offensively. The Hurricanes are averaging 84.6 points per game while shooting 51.3 percent from the field. Miami ranks second in the country in 3-point shooting at 42.5 percent and is also 10th nationally in 3-point defense, allowing opponents just 25.7 percent from deep. Overall opponents are averaging 69.5 points against the 'Canes while shooting 40.7 percent.

Junior guard Wooga Poplar leads the Hurricanes at 16.5 points per game and ranks fifth in the nation in 3-point shooting at 53.7 percent (22-41). Junior forward Norchad Omier tops Miami in rebounding at 9.8 per game while averaging 16.1 points on 57.7 percent shooting. Junior guard Matthew Cleveland averages 14.8 points on a team-best 64.8 percent from the field.

THE SERIES: This will be the second meeting between Colorado and Miami. The Buffaloes claimed the only other meeting, a 73-66 decision in Coral Gables, Fla., on Jan. 3, 1957. Colorado is 5-13 all-time against current ACC teams. This will be Colorado's second ACC opponent of the season, dropping a 77-71 decision to Florida State on Nov. 21, in the Sunshine Slam in Daytona Beach, Fla.

IN THE POLLS: Colorado was ranked in the first two Associated Press regular season polls, with a high of No. 18 on Nov. 20, the program's best since hitting No. 18 on Feb. 7, 2020. Colorado debuted at No. 25 in the first regular season Associated Press Top 25 Men's Basketball Poll released on Nov. 13.

It was just the second time since 1970 the Buffaloes appeared in the first regular season AP Poll. Colorado appeared in the exact same spot, No. 25, on Nov. 11, 2019; a season where the Buffaloes were ranked for a school-record 13 weeks, climbing as high as No. 16.

Overall Colorado has 57 all-time appearances in the AP Poll. The Buffaloes were second among teams receiving votes in this year's preseason poll. Colorado received five points in the latest AP Poll on Dec. 4.

Colorado made its lone appearance this season in the USA Today Sports Coaches Top 25 poll on Nov. 20, coming in at No. 21.
"

Back