What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game Week - TCU, Week 1 (0-0)

I know it doesn't happen often, but I'm really hoping Ralphie makes the trip.
she went to Georgia several years ago, and this is MUCH closer.

b4006dce-24ec-4737-8510-57557fdd5900-AP_Arizona_St_Colorado_Football.JPG
We would have heard by now if she was going. Its such a hassle to get her out of state.

I'm not sure if anyone else here listens to the Shutdown Fullcast podcast, but their episode last week was "Bold 2023 predictions" that were sent in by listeners.

This one made the cut for them to discuss.

They decided that it's probable to happen. To be extremely clear, SDSU plays only two games against P12 competition this year: home vs. UCLA (which the fullcast crew decided would be a win) and @ Oregon State (which they decided to be a loss).

Among other choice quotes: "They got better... but they are SMALL. Their fight video looked like it was shot at a HS practice. I'm afraid of what a team like Utah could do to them."

Now I really want CU to start proving people wrong beginning Saturday.

Ok- so I couldn't let this go and actually looked into it. I used the official Utah depth chart released this week and DNVR's projected starters for CU, comparing height and weight. Takeaways:
  • On the edges of the lines (Tackles and EDGE positions) CU compares favorably with Utah.
  • On the interior positions of the lines CU gives up a significant size advantage to Utah in terms of weight
  • Running back/LB/WR positions are a significant size advantage to Utah
  • Defensive backfield is pretty much a wash (except for Cormani, who is 165 and much smaller than all the other corners
  • Overall, CU is roughly as tall as Utah, but much lighter than Utah.
Just looking at the starting OL/DL, TCU looks to be much bigger there than CU too. :(

I'm not sure if anyone else here listens to the Shutdown Fullcast podcast, but their episode last week was "Bold 2023 predictions" that were sent in by listeners.

This one made the cut for them to discuss.

They decided that it's probable to happen. To be extremely clear, SDSU plays only two games against P12 competition this year: home vs. UCLA (which the fullcast crew decided would be a win) and @ Oregon State (which they decided to be a loss).

Among other choice quotes: "They got better... but they are SMALL. Their fight video looked like it was shot at a HS practice. I'm afraid of what a team like Utah could do to them."

Now I really want CU to start proving people wrong beginning Saturday.

I heard this as well. Are we really that small. I know we’d like to have a few more 300 pounders on the lines, but I didn’t think overall team size was that much of an issue.

After his introductory news conference, Sanders made headlines when video of his first meeting with his team went viral. He encouraged players to enter the transfer portal and warned that many wouldn’t be there by the time Colorado kicked off its season the next fall. It was a similar approach to what Sanders had done at Jackson State but unprecedented at this level.

Not long after the video went viral, Andrews’ phone rang again. Sanders’ peek underneath the hood at Colorado revealed the situation to be worse than he’d anticipated.

“Coach, there’s not 10 folks out here that know how to win,” Andrews remembered Sanders telling him. “They don’t know how to prepare. They don’t know how to work.”

Dozens of players entered the transfer portal before Colorado opened spring football. Sanders pushed dozens more into the portal after spring practice, drawing criticism from around the sport. Today, just 10 players remain from the roster Sanders inherited in December.

But Sanders sees a difference now. He barely criticized his team during preseason camp, and earlier this month, made a promise to his mentor. At Florida State, the Seminoles defense had a metric to measure hustle. On film, when the screen flipped to the next play, if all 11 defenders weren’t in the frame, the coaching staff considered it a loaf.

Andrews looked down at his phone that was buzzing with a text message this month.

“We may not make all our tackles, but I promise you we’ll have 11 people chasing the football,” Sanders wrote. “I promise our guys will be in the picture when the camera goes off.”

With Colorado starting the season Saturday at TCU, Sanders now occupies one of the most coveted spots in coaching just three years after he crossed over from high school to college. Scrutiny is intense.

Just before Sanders’ rookie NFL season began, Andrews asked Sanders his goal. He wanted to start in his first year with the Falcons.

He started 10 games. In year two? He told Andrews he wanted to become an All-Pro. It happened in his third season.

The next year, Andrews asked Sanders what his goal was.

He said he wanted to be the best defensive back to ever play the game.

Andrews has asked the same questions now that Sanders is coaching college football.

“He wants to be the best. He wants his team to be the best,” Andrews said. “And if he tells you something, he’s dead set on doing it.”

Love that

Agree for the long term, but getting embarrassed on Saturday would be a big blow to the CP mystique
To the mystique, yes. Mystique is just reputation BS anyway.

The casual fan only knows Prime for the flash and the commercials.

Those of us paying attention know that CP knows how to build a foundation based on hard work and competition.

If the Buffs get embarrassed it will be used as a motivational tool by CP and the coaching staff of proven winners.

Also, the players who don’t perform will either step up or be replaced.

This is now a put up or shut up program. Full stop.

Just different style. We are much faster than Utah. You can't just compare the size for skill positions.

Interior positions of the lines is much bigger problem IMO.
Except that Coach Lew's offense calls for those OLs to be on the move a lot and also go fast at altitude. I'd like more size, but it's a very different offensive concept from Utah which wants its OL & RBs to wear teams down.

Except that Coach Lew's offense calls for those OLs to be on the move a lot and also go fast at altitude. I'd like more size, but it's a very different offensive concept from Utah which wants its OL & RBs to wear teams down.
True. OL and skill positions, size is more related to your offensive style. That said, I think the size of DL is a legit concern.

I heard this as well. Are we really that small. I know we’d like to have a few more 300 pounders on the lines, but I didn’t think overall team size was that much of an issue.
10-15 pounds between players is a minimal difference when you're at this level. A 6-2 280lb DT who is stronger, has a low center, and is quicker can absolutely destroy a 6-4 315 OL who plays tall and stiff. The era of road graders ruling the LOS is dying.

The DL has me thinking we need to score points and get opponents into passing mode.
They also view the DL as athletes that need to play at a high pace and run to the ball on every play. They are athletic and long, and built well to hold up against fast paced no huddle offenses like USC, UO, and UCLA. A bad matchup for us will be teams like UTAH, but if we can get points on the board early and often, that will play to our strengths.

Back