What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- #20/18 WOMEN'S BBall hosts Le Moyne (Wed., 11/8/23, 6:00 PM MT; Free stream) & Oklahoma State (Sunday, 4:00 PM MT; Pac 12 Network)

Missed the game. Interesting that the neither Lele Tanuvasa nor Ruthie Loomis-Goltl played tonight. I know that Kennedy Sanders and Shelomi Sanders are injured.

Hope to read a recap from from someone who was at the game.
The play by play guy says that 2 freshman are redshirting and 2 players are hurt so 4 were not dressed. I think Lela and Ruthie are redshirting

Media after this past evening's win:

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/11/8/womens-basketball-colorado-dominant-in-victory-over-le-moyne.aspx

"
Game Recap: Women's Basketball | November 08, 2023 | Colin Wagner, CU Athletic Communications Associate

Colorado Dominant In Win Over Le Moyne​

BOULDER – After its huge win on Monday over No. 1 and defending champion LSU, any fears that the Colorado women's basketball would come out flat were quickly put to rest, as the Buffs defeated Le Moyne 97-38 here Wednesday night at the CU Events Center.

The Buffaloes (2-0) dominated from start to finish against the Dolphins (0-2) who are competing in their first season at the Division I level. Colorado recorded a whopping 42 points off of 25 turnovers while holding Le Moyne to just 14 field goals. The offense also dished out 29 assists, which is the most in a game since December 2, 2001. The 59-point victory tied the 11th largest margin of victory in program history.

"I don't think anyone could impose any higher expectations on us than we levy on ourselves," head coach JR Payne stated after the win. "Every single day we really are trying to be excellent in everything we do. We hold each other to a really high standard, collectively we do that. I don't even really have to say that much, if we're ranked higher, awesome. If we're not, it doesn't really matter to us. We know that we're really good, we know that we can compete with anybody on our schedule so we train and compete like that every single day."

Maddie Nolan was on fire from three-point range, scoring all 15 of her points from behind the arc on 5-7 shooting. Frida Formann and Aaronette Vonleh joined Nolan in leading the offense as they combined for 28 points on the night. Vonleh recorded a double-double with 13 points and 11 rebounds, four of which were offensive boards, and Forman added 15 points of her own.

Although the offense was firing on all cylinders, the defense is what stood out. The Buffs had nine different players record a steal while the team recorded 17 total steals. Colorado held the Dolphins to a 29.8 field goal percentage and 15.8 three-point field goal percentage.

"Defense is always our focus," Payne said. "We take a lot of pride in defending and we get frustrated when people score on us. We want to be awesome on defense, we want to be stingy on defense, get stops, create turnovers. I thought our inside presence was great tonight, every shot was contested, they hit shots, that's gonna happen, but as long as we're doing our thing and contesting shots, we're happy."

The Buffs look to keep things rolling at the CU Events Center on Sunday when they take on Oklahoma State at 4 p.m.

KEY MOMENT
After the Buffs had built a comfortable lead, they added on to it with 19 unanswered points in the third quarter.

NOTES
Colorado is now 1-0 all-time against Le Moyne…CU is now 488-185 at the CU Events Center… this was the highest attendance at the CU Events Center for a non-conference women's basketball game since December 21, 2016 against Wyoming...CU had the most assists in a game since 29 against Iowa on December 2, 2001... The 59-point victory ties the 11th-largest margin of victory in program history...CU led by more than 30 points at the half for the first time since December 21, 2017 against Westminster where the Buffs led by 49... CU allowed fewer than 10 points in the first quarter with just six, the last time under 10 being seven points against Duke in last year's NCAA tournament ... This is the first time CU has had 90 points in back-to-back games since the 2000-01 season against Oklahoma (93) March 8, 2001 and then against Sienna (98) on March 17, 2001.

UP NEXT
The Buffs will stay home to take on Oklahoma State in Boulder on Sunday, Nov. 12 at 4 p.m. MT.

QUOTES
Head Coach JR Payne
Opening Statement

"That was a great game, good in lots of ways. I knew that we would be really focused and not have a hangover from the previous game. I knew that, but it's really great to just see everyone locked in and really focused on this game. It's great to have so many people play and so many people contribute, even playing some different positions and a totally different type of team than the team the other night, schematically and what they were running and so I loved how we responded and gave great effort."

On Having 29 Assists And Sharing The Ball
"I love that for multiple reasons. One, I keep telling people how unselfish our team is, truly no one cares who gets the shots or who scores some points or who gets the shine, which is really fun to play in that system. It's also fun to have that type of efficiency. I think the last game we had a lot of assists as well. And so I think it just speaks to the unselfish play and the fact that we have lots of different players that can do a lot of different things."

On Avoiding A Hangover After Beating LSU
"It's a very mature group that recognizes the importance of what we're doing every single day. They know that, in our quest to compete every day, win every game, win a championship, compete for a championship, we have to be that. That doesn't mean we'll play perfectly every night or make all of our shots every night but our effort and our focus are totally in our control. Our team knows that. That's something we must do every day."
"
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2023/11/8/2349258.PDF

I liked the two freshman that played last night. Look to be very athletic and I think JA is going to be a very good player. I was impressed with #1 for the other team. She can play. I have to give J.R. credit, her transfers make an impact, love having another shooter and Smith is going to be a critical player down the road

(posted in error)

But since I'm here, a low value:
I never have like the use of "Lady" to label women's teams.
They don't call the men the Gentleman Buffs. It seems a little demeaning to me, like they are a secondary/auxiliary team.
I think people should drop the Lady, and just call them the Buffs, or Colorado. It is almost always clear from the context, which team is being referred to.

Last edited:
Good opponent with a good start time. I think they could have 4,000+ fans in attendance as the momentum builds. If they keep it going I could see some games this year with over 8,000+ in attendance which hasn't happened since the Ceal Barry days. This is going to be a fun season.

RG and gang need to promote the crap out of this team during the men's game on Friday and football on Saturday. Have Deion record a message to the fans. Lure the students with some Cosmos slices or something. Sunday should be a good match-up, and I think this particular squad can turn a lot of casual fans into followers of the sport- they are such an exciting team to watch play. They deserve a packed house this season; the OSU game is a perfect opportunity to fill the Events Center. Go Buffs!!

(Watching VT-Iowa right now. It's a great game so far. So awesome to see this sport blowing up!)

(posted in error)

But since I'm here, a low value:
I never have like the use of "Lady" to label women's teams.
They don't call the men the Gentleman Buffs. It seems a little demeaning to me, like they are a secondary/auxiliary team.
I think people should drop the Lady, and just call them the Buffs, or Colorado. It is almost always clear from the context, which team is being referred to.

WBB at Colorado officially dropped the Lady Buffs in 1993 or 94. It should not be used. I didn't like it whey it happened but I now understand why it was done. You won't see Lady Buffs coming from the athletic department. The players I have talked to don't consider themselves Lady Buffs. They are Buffs and that is the way it should be.

I do have to give the AD office credit - they’re very active promoting the women’s programs on social media. It’s not a full blown marketing blitz but it’s a hell of a lot more than other schools do.

This They are marketing better than they have in years but they can do more.

In the Ceal Barry days they marketed those teams going to the Dance every years like you couldn't believe. They had a television reporter who traveled with the team.

This team definitely deserves every butt in the seat they can get.

I watched VT-Iowa last night because our volleyball match was not going well. That game was marketed nationwide with Clark as the big draw. Clark did not disappoint and it was close until the very end. That is what I expected when we played LSU in stead of the blowout we got. Iow

Iowa State has averaged the most fans for several years and they are drawing close to 10,000 for their non conference games. Iowa has sold out all of their games this season so theiy will outdraw Iowa State this season.

The exhibition game has been free forever and this year they charged for that. I don't think that was a good move.

here is a once in a lifetime picture the last 4 coaches showed up last night for Brittney Spears induction into the CU hall of fame. I guess time heals all wounds since KMM sued CU for being fired

I was curious what Coach Lappe is doing. I guess it's not "Coach" anymore. 4th year as Sr. Associate AD at USF.

Looks like KMM is a color analyst for ESPN3. Her little ones would be all grown up by now.

It was fun to see photos of Brittany Spears. I know she played overseas for a while. Playing for KMM hurt her as a player because she never learned to play defense. It was her job to shoot and shoot she did.

Before the LSU game, they were ranked #1, we were #20. Checking today, neither team's rankings have changed. What's with that?

Before the LSU game, they were ranked #1, we were #20. Checking today, neither team's rankings have changed. What's with that?
Mens' rankings come out every Monday. I think the same for the womens'

I have GA seats for the women's game and usually sit in the same seats I have for men's basketball. Just got booted from my seats for the first time ever. I'm taking it as a good sign that the crowds are coming. Student section is light with 30 here and only 1 banana with 3 minutes to tip off. Need to start some pizza/burrito incentives to get more students here.

The Buff defense is the story in the 1st quarter as they've already forced 10 turnovers which have led to 12 points. Overall, they lead 24-16 in what looks like will be a QUICK game with OSU also looking fast. (Announcers saying the Buffs have a nice size advantage over the shorter Cowgirls.)

Ugly 2nd quarter as at one point the announcers said the Buffs gave up a 2-16 run. It's a 35-39 OSU lead at the half.

Buffs only 3-13 from the arc, while OSU has 7 in from the same number of attempts. Turnovers and points off turnovers are now tied at 11 and 12, respectively, for both squads.

I was going to post that Sherrod was just moving too fast tonight - bless her. Then coach said at half "we're rushing it too much, we're too intense"

Back