What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- #20/18 WOMEN'S BBall hosts Le Moyne (Wed., 11/8/23, 6:00 PM MT; Free stream) & Oklahoma State (Sunday, 4:00 PM MT; Pac 12 Network)

56-59 OSU heading into the final quarter. After shooting around 25% from 3 their 1st 2 games, OSU's 11-20 so far tonight.

Great team effort in the 2nd half. Absolute grit and guts. Don’t sleep on Wetta. And JR absolutely picked Adia Barnes’ pocket when we got Vonleh as a transfer from Arizona. Go Buffs!

One thing I forgot (that I now remember from last season) after not having to see the team play in tight games so far this season is how calmly and intelligently this veteran team can ratchet up the intensity late (especially on D). Think Wetta alone had 4+ steals late, and the rest of the team was also making things very uncomfortable late defensively, while CU also got on their best offensive groove late to finish with the 86-75 win.
(Extra impressive given how OSU NEVER cooled down from 3, and ended up 15-28 from beyond the arc. Although from the CU coaches' perspective I'm sure that also may lead them to emphasize defending the arc a LOT over the next few practices.)

Tonight was a good win not only because it was against a "power conference" team and future conference mate, but it was a struggle. Frida F. was having a bad night from the arc, and they had to adjust. Buffs were down going into the 4Q, got their **** together, clamped down on D and snagged the W. PAC play is probably going to look more like tonight and less like the game against LSU. Good crowd; hopefully it grows as the season unfolds. Way to go, Buffs!

Side note: #2 UCONN lost to unranked NC State today. Parity in WBB.

Media after today's win:

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/11/12...-win-behind-wettas-efforts-off-the-bench.aspx

"
Game Recap: Women's Basketball | November 12, 2023 | Colin Wagner, CU Athletic Communications Associate

Buffs Use Second-Half Comeback To Spur Cowgirls​

BOULDER – The 20th-ranked Colorado women's basketball pulled off a come-from-behind victory to take down Oklahoma State 86-75 at the CU Events Center Sunday evening. The Buffaloes used a late 13-3 run to help erase a seven-point second-half deficit and stay undefeated on the season.

Despite the Cowgirls (2-1) hitting 15 three-pointers, the Buffaloes' (3-0) defense down the stretch translated into points on the offensive end, helping Colorado overcome its largest deficit so far this season.

"I'm really proud of our response tonight when things weren't really going our way," head coach JR Payne said after the win. "We were not playing great basketball and we found a way to make some adjustments. Everyone stuck together, everyone was just focused on doing what we needed to do to be successful. Different people with really big plays down the stretch."

The Buffs recorded eight steals in the first quarter, establishing an early lead, however, a 16-2 run by Oklahoma State in the second gave the Cowgirls the lead at halftime.

Oklahoma State continued to cash in from behind the arc in the third quarter, hitting seven more triples. But the Buffs managed to stay in the game and trailed by just three heading into the fourth.

When it mattered most, CU rallied behind Kindyll Wetta, Jaylyn Sherrod and Frida Formann as they accounted for 21 of Colorado's 30 fourth-quarter points. The Buffs made 8-of its final-9 field goals and held the Cowgirls to just 16 points in the final quarter to secure the win.

Wetta scored 15 points off the bench, tying her career high in points, totaling eight in the final period. She also had five rebounds and a steal while committing just one turnover the entire game.

"I don't think it's really a switch," Wetta said of her fourth quarter. "I'm here to catch the ball and just play basketball. I caught it. I was open and I shot the ball and made it. Then the ball came to me on defense. It's not always flipping a switch. It's just being sound like Coach [Payne] said and being reliable; just doing what I know I can do."

The Buffs were close to having two players pick up a double-double as Sherrod was just one assist shy of 10 assists to go with her 16 points and five steals. Quay Miller recorded her 14th career double-double at Colorado with 13 points and 10 boards.

CU had a total of 15 steals on the night and outrebounded the Cowgirls 38-24. A big difference maker for the Buffs their 25 trips to the free-throw line while Oklahoma State had only six.

3,931 of the Buffs faithful filled the Events Center on Sunday bringing an energy to the building that hasn't been felt in some time.

"It was incredible," Payne said of the crowd. "I will look into the camera and say 'Buff Nation, come to our games.' It is really good basketball. We have a great team, and we compete. We are a group that you should be proud of. The environment and fan support today were absolutely awesome. Coming out of timeouts, the energy when we made a run, was just like you're saying, unlike anything we've ever experienced here at CU. We need to keep it going and grow it even more."

KEY MOMENT

With 3:53 remaining in the game, Sherrod drove the basket and made an acrobatic AND-1 layup. She knocked down the free throw and gave the Buffs a five-point lead at 74-69.

NOTES

Colorado is now 28-26 all-time against Oklahoma State…now 489-185 at the CU Events Center…attendance for the game was 3,931…highest attendance for a non-conference game since Dec. 29, 2012, vs New Mexico (5,305)…largest attendance for a nonconference game in November…highest attendance since Feb. 19, 2017, vs Oregon on Senior Day (3,988)…first time with 85+ points in three straight games since Nov. 28-Dec. 5 of 2014-15 season (87, 87, 97)...first time Colorado had 5+ players score 10+ points since Feb. 23, 2022, vs No. 25 Oregon...the Buffs outscored the Cowgirls 26-13 in the final eight minutes.

UP NEXT

Colorado women's basketball has almost a full week before its next game against SMU on Saturday, Nov. 18.
"
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2023-24/oklahoma-state/boxscore/16572

Quay Miller: "I really can't tell you much about the week until like the last 30 minutes of my life just now." Girl, same. lol

It seems there is a virus going around in that locker room... Quay sounds like she has a cold, Coach has a nasal-y thing in her voice. It's better for them to be sick now rather than in January...they have all week to recuperate and prepare for SMU. God, I love listening to JR talk about basketball. Very proud to have her leading the team and representing the University. Good win, Buffs!

Back