What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread - #5/7 WOMEN'S bball on the road to face Arizona (Fri.,1/5/24, 6:00 PM MT; P-12 Net.) & ASU (Sunday, noon MT; P-12 Net.)

I never thought this team can go undefeated in the Pac and I still don't.

Zona didn't have much opportunity to rest players because they have so few players.

The team may just have been overconfident. 14 TOs in the 1st half - many of them just sloppy/careless on our part. There were a few times when players kept moving forward while dribbling, but left the ball behind.

Media after yesterday's win:

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/1/5/w...kes-down-arizona-behind-another-late-comeback

"

No. 5 Colorado Takes Down Arizona Behind Another Late Comeback​

Buffs use a 14-9 run down the stretch

By: Colin Wagner, CU Athletic Communications Associate

BOULDER –
No. 5 Colorado survived its first road conference game of the season after defeating Arizona 75-74 Friday night in a hostile environment at the McKale Memorial Center.

"This is a basketball town," head coach JR Payne stated after the win. "We're good friends with Tommy Lloyd so we follow Arizona basketball pretty closely and they love their basketball. They're very knowledgeable basketball people. They know when to cheer and when to get crazy. When to get loud and I think that they have a real home-court advantage with that."

Despite the noise, the Buffaloes (12-1, 2-0 Pac-12) put together a fourth-quarter comeback for the second straight game to beat the Wildcats (9-5, 1-1 Pac-12) by just one point. Colorado has outscored its last two opponents by a combined 21 points in the fourth quarter after outscoring Arizona by seven (23-16) in the fourth tonight.

Quay Miller showed up for the Buffs while the team struggled to find its way early on. Miller had nine of her 14 points in the first quarter and was just one rebound shy of a double-double with nine boards.

"I thought Quay [Miller] really carried us early," said Payne. "She was on the glass, finishing inside and shooting a couple of nice 3s. I mean she was just playing like Quay, she's a great player and experienced."

Aaronette Vonleh came through in the clutch, following a quiet first half. She led the Buffs' big fourth quarter with six points, finishing with 11 points to go with her seven rebounds and four assists.

Jaylyn Sherrod continued to have the hot hand, finishing with a team-high 18 points and recording four assists and four steals.

Colorado capped off the game, shooting 64.3% (9-14) in the final period and outscored Arizona 18-6 in the paint.

"We just stuck together," Sherrod explained. "I said coming out for the fourth quarter that we got to stick together. We know that that is a hard environment to play in. We've never won here before [as a group]. We already knew the fans were into it and that's their sixth man. We just had to stick together and that's what I told the group."

The Buffaloes dominated the glass as they outrebounded the Wildcats 41 to 21 while 17 of their 41 rebounds came on the offensive glass. Colorado's turnovers kept Arizona in the game, however, the veteran core for the Black and Gold got the job done down the stretch on the road.

The Buffs will head up the road to Tempe on Sunday, taking on Arizona State on Sunday.

"I think the biggest thing is resting, fueling, hydrating and resting," Payne stated. "Our team does a really good job with their mental preparation so I think that they can learn a scout, they can learn a new team, they can study their tendencies and digest them and really know who Arizona State is without even taking a physical breath."

KEY MOMENT

Sherrod converted on an AND-1 layup to put the Buffs up 74-72 with under 1:30 remaining in the game. Following the free throw, she stole the ball and forced a foul, hitting one of two from the line to go up 75-72 with 1:22 to play.

NEXT
The Buffs will take a drive up to Tempe, Ariz. to take on the Arizona State Sun Devils on Sunday at 12 p.m. M.T. (Pac-12 Networks).

NOTES
CU's first win at Arizona since Feb. 27, 2015…CU improves to 19-10 overall against the Wildcats…The win gives CU its second six-game winning streak of the season…The Buffs are now 2-0 in conference play for the second time in 17 seasons…Arizona had just seven players dressed for the game…The game featured 10 lead changes and 11 ties…CU has now hit at least one 3FG in 102 consecutive games…Friday was CU's first game decided under 11 points this season…Miller's 14 points give her 900 for her career at Colorado…CU was +20 in rebounding (41-21)...Arizona totaled 23 points off CU's 19 turnovers…CU had 21 assists, marking its 10th game of the season with 20+ helpers…CU's 19 turnovers were the second most this season (21 twice).
"
______________________________________________________________________________________

Box score -

Could be wrong but I think Sherrod got benched for ball hogging. It was really bad in the third quarter and then she did it to start the 4th. There was one possession where she just dribbled around forever and then the shot clock ran down and we fired up an awful shot. No passes at all for the entire shot clock. I understand that she's probably the best player on the team, but you need to pass the ball and run an offense.

I was at a bar watching the game, and walked home during part of the 4th. I was surprised by this comment, and wanted to see the part of the game I missed, so I just sat down and rewatched the entire 2nd half. To put it simply, there's no way she got benched for "ball hogging" in the 2nd half.

There's not a single possession in the 2nd half where she over dribbles and we don't get a good shot off because of the shot clock. In the 3rd, the first few possessions she makes basic passes to the wing. One possession she picks up her dribble too early and they have to call timeout. Two possessions near each other she makes great passes to Frida for open threes, but she misses them. On one play, she makes a good in bounds pass to Maddie for an open three that she makes. The last possession of the third, there's 10 a second difference between the shot and game clock, she drives and tries to pass to Quay in the corner but it's knocked out of bounds. There were still 10 seconds on the shot clock.

In the 4th, she starts by passing it before she gets past half court. They then ran a clear out play with everyone behind the three point line where she drives and gets fouled. On another, she drives to the basket with her left and loses control but Smith picks it up for a 3 point play. She then makes a great full court pass for a layup. A couple other possessions she doesn't even touch the ball. She then comes out with about 5 or 6 minutes left in the fourth.

She came out 50 seconds into the 3rd quarter, and the announcers even remarked "the leading scorer of the game" is coming out early in the 2nd half. I don't believe she took a single shot, or had a single turnover in the 2nd half until she comes back with 2 minutes left and proceeds to get a 3 point play and then steals it and gets fouled on the lay in attempt.

So you're either talking about things you saw in the first half, or your eyes were deceiving you. If anything, I wish Sherrod would have been far more aggressive in the 2nd half. I guess I apologize for being defensive and/or pedantic, but when you accuse probably the best player on the team and a 5 year Buff of being a ball hog, I think you should be accurate about it.

I was at a bar watching the game, and walked home during part of the 4th. I was surprised by this comment, and wanted to see the part of the game I missed, so I just sat down and rewatched the entire 2nd half. To put it simply, there's no way she got benched for "ball hogging" in the 2nd half.

There's not a single possession in the 2nd half where she over dribbles and we don't get a good shot off because of the shot clock. In the 3rd, the first few possessions she makes basic passes to the wing. One possession she picks up her dribble too early and they have to call timeout. Two possessions near each other she makes great passes to Frida for open threes, but she misses them. On one play, she makes a good in bounds pass to Maddie for an open three that she makes. The last possession of the third, there's 10 a second difference between the shot and game clock, she drives and tries to pass to Quay in the corner but it's knocked out of bounds. There were still 10 seconds on the shot clock.

In the 4th, she starts by passing it before she gets past half court. They then ran a clear out play with everyone behind the three point line where she drives and gets fouled. On another, she drives to the basket with her left and loses control but Smith picks it up for a 3 point play. She then makes a great full court pass for a layup. A couple other possessions she doesn't even touch the ball. She then comes out with about 5 or 6 minutes left in the fourth.

She came out 50 seconds into the 3rd quarter, and the announcers even remarked "the leading scorer of the game" is coming out early in the 2nd half. I don't believe she took a single shot, or had a single turnover in the 2nd half until she comes back with 2 minutes left and proceeds to get a 3 point play and then steals it and gets fouled on the lay in attempt.

So you're either talking about things you saw in the first half, or your eyes were deceiving you. If anything, I wish Sherrod would have been far more aggressive in the 2nd half. I guess I apologize for being defensive and/or pedantic, but when you accuse probably the best player on the team and a 5 year Buff of being a ball hog, I think you should be accurate about it.
I'd have to rewatch it, but what I think I remember is her ball hogging at points in the first half and the offense wasn't running well. I imagine something was said at half time and then the first possession didn't go the way they had talked about so she was pulled from the game to reiterate the points made by the coaching staff at half time. Just spitballing.

I think she is slightly sore and injured and JR wanted to keep her min down to get through both games.
Others have to step up, but Sherrod is our Clark, and one of the best WBB players in the country due to her speed and now she is a very good shooter

Scary game, glad it is over. Does every AZ Coach, Player, and Fan have to be obnoxious douches

To me it is obvious by this point, that this time is not much without Sherrod running the point. Sherrod knows what she is capable of. She is quick and smart. She is probably her worst critic. She has so much talent. We only go as far as Jaylyn takes us in the conference and the Dance.

Somehow we need to get back to having at least 4 players in double figures for scoring. It's true that CU is not sneaking up on anyone. If Sherrod goes down we are in trouble.

In the meantime, I know we are the better team today. Now they have to show it on the court. Every team is after them.

Utah coach said after Friday's game that teams are going after Pili and hurting her. I didn't watch Utah's game vs Arizona State, but apparently she had to leave with an injury. Coach said she had to leave the Colorado game briefly. Does she really not think that every player is told to be physical? This is not the game of even the 2000/s. It's a much more physical game.

Different games are officiated differently. Even within the same game, fouls get called differently. Have to go with the flow. When this type of defense started being played in the 2000-., I did not like it. I thought it was too physical. If you don't play this type of ball, you will not win.

Nette taking off her own left ankle tape, looks like they'll retape on the sideline. Not going back as of now

puzzledASU does not have a weirdly sexualized female version of their mascot

Confused Eminem GIF

Media after today's win:

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/1/7/womens-basketball-no-5-buffs-complete-road-sweep-with-win-over-asu

"

No. 5 Buffs Complete Road Sweep With Win Over ASU​

By: Colin Wagner, CU Athletic Communications Associate

TEMPE, Ariz. –
No. 5 Colorado finished with two wins in the desert this weekend after defeating Arizona on Friday night and Arizona State 81-68 here Sunday afternoon.

The Buffaloes (13-1, 3-0 Pac-12) picked up their seventh straight win behind a dominant second quarter against the Sun Devils (8-7, 0-3 Pac-12), outscoring ASU 25-7 in the period. Colorado shot both 50.0% from the field and three-point range while holding Arizona State to just 8.3% from the field in the quarter.

Aaronette Vonleh erupted early with a 14-point first quarter which led to a team-high 20 points on 10-of-15 shooting in the game.

"It's kind of like football if you can establish the run as they say," head coach JR Payne said about getting Vonleh going early. "I'm not a football person, but yeah, anytime you can have that balance of inside scoring -and very efficient inside scoring, I think it opens up the perimeter game as well. That balance is important."

Next, it was Maddie Nolan's turn who had nine second-quarter points after cashing in on three 3s. Vonleh and Nolan helped Colorado reach 50 points in a half for the seventh time this season.

"She had a great weekend," Payne said regarding Nolan. "She's incredible. She's a coach's dream. Anyone in the country would love to coach her because she's so unselfish, so hard working and just wants to be a part of a great team. And she contributes in so many ways that don't show up on the stat sheet."

The huge first half from CU allowed the Buffs to accumulate a total of 76 combined bench minutes between seven players this afternoon. Charlotte Whittaker, Sara-Rose Smith and Kindyll Wetta combined for 17 points off the bench with Whittaker leading the group with seven.

Colorado seemed to be extra dialed in after the closely contested one-point win over Arizona by coming out of the gates hot and with 25 points in each of the first two quarters. The Sun Devils did pose a comeback threat late in the fourth as a result of CU turnovers, however, the Buffs managed to pick it up and hang on for the victory.

The Buffs will travel back to Boulder to play the Cal Golden Bears on the night of Friday, January 12th.

KEY MOMENT
Nolan knocked down two 3s within a minute and a half of each other to extend Colorado's lead to 43-20 and force an Arizona State timeout with four minutes remaining in the second quarter.

NEXT
The Buffs will continue Pac-12 play at home against Cal on Friday, January 12th at 7 p.m. MT.

NOTES
Colorado improves to 14-16 all-time against Arizona State…The Buffs are now 3-0 in conference play for the first time since 1996-97…Colorado has now won seven consecutive games, its longest winning streak since eight games from Dec. 16 - Jan. 20 last season…Colorado has also won five straight on the road dating back to the team's win at Duke in the second round of the NCAA Tournament last season...Wetta finished with two steals to give her 151 in her career…Nolan finished with 11 points, her second game in double-figures as a Buff…Sherrod closed with three steals and moved into ninth all-time at CU tied with Sandy Bean (1978-82) with 236 steals.
"
________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2023-24/arizona-state/boxscore/16632

Played better than Friday night but they let the 4th quarter get away from them. Didn't cost them in this game, but it could in the future.

Netty is so much fun to watch. She quietly does her thing.

Frida was back to herself.

Free throw shooting left a lot to be desired this game. That is not going to fly in the long run.

Freshman Jadyn Atchison got in for 2 minutes and had 1 foul. Mikayla got in for 1 minute and had 2 fouls.

Brianna McLeod is not seeing a lot of playing time.

Carol Callan said ASU's previous coach always scheduled the Colorado game on a weekday afternoon and brought in all the school kids to have a big, screaming crowd. It was hard for the players to hear each other on the court and CU did not fare well against that.

After all Pac 12 teams have played 3 games each, UCLA, Stanford and Colorado are all undefeated. That ends this weekend when CU plays Stanford.

Utah got beat yesterday in OT and is 1-2 and I think they are a good team.

A lot of season left to play

Back