What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- #7 Women's bball hosts Boston U. (Tues, 11/28,6:00 PM MT), visits Air Force (Sat.,1:00) & hosts UT- Arlington (Tues., 12/5, 11:00 AM MT)

was Sherrod and Vonley sick. They did not seem to have their usual energy today. I know Smith had the flu against BU and that is why she did not play much
Sherrod only played 17 minutes and Vonleh 14. Had to think it was due to illness or injury.

Hard to create an opinion when I wasn't able to watch. Would like so see players other than Frida consistently take and make treys (this isn't the first game where this has happened).

Media after today's game:

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/12/2/womens-basketball-no-7-colorado-soars-past-afa-74-58

"

No. 7 Colorado Soars Past AFA, 74-58​

December 02, 2023 | Women's Basketball

Frida Formann led the way with 23 points

By: Seth Pringle, Athletic Communications

USAFA, Colo. – The seventh-ranked Colorado women's basketball team improved to 8-1 on the season with a 74-58 win over in-state rival Air Force at Clune Arena on Saturday.

The Buffaloes led by as much as 22 in the game, due in large to a 23-point effort from senior Frida Formann. The Denmark native went 8-for-17 from the field and hit five more 3s on the season, moving past former Buff Jenny Roulier and into fifth all-time with 206 career 3s.

"Hitting the 3s is fantastic and that's what most people see [from Formann]," head coach JR Payne explained after the win. "I see the fact that she opens up lanes for other people. I see that she's an incredible screener and it's very hard to leave her so she can get other people open. Besides hitting shots, she's just one of those players that makes everybody's life a little bit easier."

CU was able to play 14 players on the day, getting key contributions from Sara-Rose Smith off the bench. The junior transfer added 11 points and eight rebounds in her 17 minutes. Kindyll Wetta was also effective off the bench, lending eight points, six rebounds three steals and two assists. Redshirt freshman Shelomi Sanders checked in for the Buffs for the first time this season hitting a late 3-pointer for her first career points as a Buff.

The Falcons pressed the Buffs early on Saturday, keeping the game within six points in the first quarter. AFA forced the Buffs into 21 turnovers and scored 15 points off the CU mishaps.

"We knew they were going to be a no-quit type of team," Smith noted. "We just had a big emphasis on working out how we can get each other open and not let them speed us up. We just had to stick to what we do."

Air Force (4-4) was led by Taylor Britt and her 13 points.

Colorado used its decisive advantage in the post to its advantage. The Buffs outrebounded the Falcons 49-30, with Quay Miller snagging a team-high nine boards. CU had 15 offensive rebounds, scoring 11 second-chance points and totaling 40 points in the paint.

"We haven't played anyone really this year that guards the way that they guard," Payne added. "We talked about it. I thought we were pretty prepared, but it's still a different feeling when you get on the floor and it's happening. I was proud of how we persevered, stayed the course and figured some things out. In the end, we were able to take advantage inside."

Key Moment
Colorado limited the Air Force offense to just eight points on 4-for-17 shooting in the second quarter. CU was outscoring AFA 13-8 midway through the quarter but went on an 11-0 run in the final five minutes to complete the 21-8 quarter.

Up Next
Colorado will be back at the CU Events Center on Tuesday, hosting the team's Field Trip Day. Tip-off against UT Arlington is set for 11 a.m. MT.

Notes
CU is now 9-0 all-time against Air Force…CU's 16 assists were the second fewest this season (11 vs NC State)…The 49 rebounds were the most since recording 50 against Washington on Feb. 12, 2023…The Buffs' 21 turnovers tied for a season-high (LSU)…Formann has now scored 20+ points three times this season…She has also hit 5+ 3-pointers in three games…Formann has yet to miss from the free-throw line this season improving to 20-for-20 (2-2 today)…Sherrod didn't attempt a free throw, keeping her streak of 21 consecutive intact…CU only attempted eight free throws, tied for the fewest this season (Cincinnati).

Quotes
Head Coach JR Payne
On Air Force –
"This is exactly what I expected. I always say I love being around our military and being able to see young women like this and knowing what they pour into their daily effort to serve our country is incredible. They play exactly how you would want our military to play – super tough, totally fearless, never quit. They are all in all the time. I always know that this is one of our hardest games. Just because of their mindset. Today was no different. It's always a battle."

On overall play – "I thought in spurts we were really good. I thought the second quarter was fantastic. I don't know how many points they scored [8] but everything was tough. It was very hard for them to get a good clean look. Early in the second half, they were scoring a lot. I didn't think the defense was bad. I thought they were hitting the shots. I thought we were contesting shots pretty well. But the more aggressive we are usually the better we are."
"

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2023-24/air-force/boxscore/16577

Real nice turnout of Buff fans at the game today. I'd estimate 400-500 - which was about half the "crowd". Friend I went with, who had no rooting interest in the game, said it reminded him of a high school atmosphere.

IMG_2315.jpg

The building looks like it did way back in the 70's when I was down there for a men's game. Except for the blue and different lines, it isn't a lot different than it was then.

I hope bus trips can become a thing for these close games. The trips to CSU and Wyo were always fun, even when we lost. Going to Laramie, we sometimes had to take some creative ways back due to road closures. The bus trips to Salina were fantastic unless we got beat in the 1st round of the tournament and had to get on the bus the next day. The dribver enjoyed us so much that he requested to be our driver. If you asked him, he would take us anywhere in Salina that we wanted to go.

The team has played a lot of games since the season started and traveled a lot of miles. JR commented after the game how long it takes to go through Customs.

So they have one more game before finals and then UNC after finals. Then the Pac-12 conference season starts and so many teams will be duking it out to win. I don't think any team will go through the conference undefeated. I was sure Cameron Brink was a senior last year. Maybe this is her 5th year but it sure sounds like she is better than ever and she beat us once.

The building looks like it did way back in the 70's when I was down there for a men's game. Except for the blue and different lines, it isn't a lot different than it was then.

The same could be said about our arena lol. CUEC was built in 1979 and it looks it's age. Hopefully the AD is putting together a renovation plan for the arena, as RG alluded to a few weeks ago.

Good win in Colorado Springs! Playing Air Force in any sport is going to present unique challenges, and the Buffs responded well. Does anyone know why CSU isn't on the schedule this year? I enjoy the regional match-ups... I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens in conference play! Go Buffs!

On paper, tomorrow's game v UT Arlington looks like a 40 point win for the Buffs.

Also, why is this game as well as the NoCo game scheduled for the middle of a weekday?

This one is to Celebrate Women in Sports or something and it will be full of school kids. I don't understand the reasoning behind day games during the week either.

Yes, Coors needs major renovations. I was at the first game in that building, against a Russian men's basketball team. It doesn't look much different aside from the video boards. The promised seat backs where all of the bleacher seating is has never been done. That was supposed to be done back in the 80.s.

At the half, Formann leads in scoring with 20 (mainly from her 6-9 shooting from 3). Miller with 10 (including 2-3 from deep) and Vonleh with 11 are also in double figures.

Coach Payne probably not happy with a 4-8 turnover disadvantage, although the Buffs I believe still had a small (1 point or so) advantage in points off turnovers.

It's 77-55 at the end of 3.

Hopefully not an "expensive" quarter for the season, as Sadler got hurt (ankle) while fighting with another Buff for an offensive rebound. She just came back to the bench on crutches with ice rapped around the ankle.

Watching in person - the offense was a lot of fun until the last two minutes or so. The defense was awful. Lots of work to do there before Utah comes to Boulder at the end of the month.

No, the result wasn't ever in doubt. There were periods of time where it reminded of an ABA game with both teams getting open shots from the perimeter and a fairly high tempo. Fortunately, the Buffs have Frida who was deadly from deep today (7-10) with an assist from Quay who went 4-7. UT Arlington went with a zone for most of the game and the weakside was often wide open, this certainly played a role in Jaylyn racking up 13 assists.

Next game isn't for 16 days, I assume this is due to finals.

Hope that Tameiya is okay in the long run.

Kennedy Sanders, Lele Tanuvasa, Mikayla Johnson & Ruthie Loomis-Goltl were not dressed for the game.

they need to work on their defense. it has been a problem this year. They are going to work on that a lot over the next 2 weeks I am sure. It does help that Utah's best player is out for the year even though it sucks she is injured.

Their general defense is awesome when they want to play defense. I don't think it's capability issue, it's the motivation issue.

That said, they do have perimeter defensive problem. They prioritize TO over preventing 3 point shooting

Media after today's win -

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/12/5/...down-ut-arlington-approaching-conference-play

"

No. 8 Colorado Takes Down UT Arlington​

By: Colin Wagner, CU Athletic Communications Associate

BOULDER – No. 8 Colorado took care of business in a 95-74 victory over UT Arlington at the CU Events Center on Tuesday.

2,673 fans were in attendance for the Tuesday afternoon affair with a majority of them being from local area schools participating in the team's Field Trip Day.
Frida Formann led the offensive attack, scoring 20 of her 23 points and hitting six 3s in the first half. Her first-half 3s set a CU record for the most in a half and she added another 3-pointer in the third quarter, tying the school record of seven made 3s in a game for the second time this season. Quay Miller had a great performance as well, recording a double-double with 21 points and 11 rebounds. She shot 63.6% from the field and had three steals on the defensive end.

Jaylyn Sherrod matched Miller with a double-double performance herself. Sherrod had 11 points while setting a new career-high in assists with 13. The 13 assists tie former Kennedy Leonard for fourth most in a game by a Buff. Leonard matched the feat three times throughout her career. The Buffs totaled 28 assists on 37 mad baskets on the afternoon.

"Throughout the season, you're trying to get better, every day you're trying to be better," head coach JR Payne stated. "As coaches, we're kind of wired to look at the weaknesses or look at the areas that we can improve, but I'm also smart enough to be able to celebrate the really great things that we did as well. I'm proud of lots of things on the stat sheet and excited for some opportunity to focus on ourselves in the next couple of weeks."

It took one quarter for the Buffaloes (9-1) to get things going against the Mavericks (1-8, 0-2 WAC) as both teams found themselves in a six-point game after the first. Colorado responded by outscoring UT Arlington 22-13 in the second quarter and the Buffs didn't look back from there.

The Buffs used their size and speed to their advantage on Tuesday. Colorado was plus-16 in rebounding and had 13 fastbreak points.

CU now has a short break before they play Northern Colorado on Thursday, Dec. 21 in the last non-conference game of the regular season.

"It's been a really tough preseason," Payne said after the game. "We intentionally scheduled a really tough preseason, knowing that these guys can handle it. But congrats to them for being able to learn a new scout every other day, be able to make adjustments, be able to be in lots of different states and airplanes. What they have done in the first month of the season has not been easy, but they continue to work. They continue to have each other's back and I think that's the sign of a great team."

KEY MOMENT
The Buffs went on two separate six-point scoring runs in the second quarter, outscoring the Mavericks 12-5 in the full stretch. The two runs put the Buffs up 16, 48-32, and helped them to go into halftime with a 51-36 lead.

NOTES
Colorado is now 1-0 all-time vs UT Arlington … Colorado shot 50% from the field in the first three quarters (55.0, 50.0, 52.9) ... CU's 29-point first quarter was its best opening quarter of the season (Prev. 26, Le Moyne) ... All 10 games of the season have been decided by 10 or more points ... Two players had double-doubles, Miller (21 points, 11 rebounds) and Sherrod (11 points, 13 assists) for the first time since November 29, 2017 against North Dakota State … Formann now has the most 3-pointers in a half by a Colorado player with six (It was previously five seven times with the last time being Emma Clarke against Denver on Dec.12, 2019) … Formann also tied the Colorado single game 3-point record with seven 3s (This is the ninth time a player has made seven threes in a game) ... Formann now has 213 career 3-pointers and trails Manyd Nightingale (224) for fourth all-time … Sherrod set a new career high in assists with 13, nine of which came in the first half (Her previous career high was 11 assists against NJIT on Nov. 10, 2019)...Her double-double was the first points and assists since she had 19 points and 10 assists at Utah on Dec. 29, 2019.

UP NEXT
The Buffs have a two-week break before taking on Northern Colorado on Thursday, Dec. 21 at noon in their last game before conference play begins.
"
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2023-24/ut-arlington/boxscore/16578

JR's teams have always had trouble guarding the 3 point shot. If they play against a 3 point shooter who gets hot like Frida did yesterday, they will lose.

In the press conference, they are at or near the bottom in the defensive categories. JR's teams have won in the past because of their defense. Coach T needs to get to work on the defense. JR said that they haven't had much time to work on regular things since the season started because of the schedule and all of the travel. They have just had time to go over the scout and practice for the next game. Hopefully they do some hard work after some time to rest and heal.

She said Tam has a sprained ankle. Hope that's all it is.

Not only were Frida and Quay good, but Jaylyn was dishing out assists. I believe she had 10. She said Frida was so hot, let her shoot.

I love that I got called a Karen for defending my Buffs on Facebook. Someone said we were unranked and unknown when we beat LSU and after beating them, the powers that be just slotted us as 3rd. :unsure:

We were ranked and I don't think we were unknown except to fans on the East Coast. I will continue to defend us this season as long as we keep winning and there is reason to defend them.

I love that I got called a Karen for defending my Buffs on Facebook. Someone said we were unranked and unknown when we beat LSU and after beating them, the powers that be just slotted us as 3rd. :unsure:

We were ranked and I don't think we were unknown except to fans on the East Coast. I will continue to defend us this season as long as we keep winning and there is reason to defend them.
😂
They call anyone Karen if the person complains about bullsh!t they don't want to be called out on.

Not only were Frida and Quay good, but Jaylyn was dishing out assists. I believe she had 10. She said Frida was so hot, let her shoot.
Jaylyn had 13 assists. I wouldn't have guessed watching the game that she had that many. They came so easily.

I hope that Quay has gotten her shot back. She really struggled at the end of last season and at the beginning of this one. The Buffs need her to be consistent with her three level scoring.

It's pretty wild that this team hasn't looked as good as that first game again, yet they're still mostly winning by 20 points. They can put down the hammer when they need to, but they've been able to coast a bit.

we can complain about things with the wbb team but they play at an entertaining level. I watched New Mexico and Southern Utah tonight and it was rough. Neither team really looked like they had a clue how to run an effective offense. I really appreciate how fun this team is to watch

I watched the Iowa State-Iowa game Wednesday. On paper, Iowa should have won by a large number. Iowa ended up winning 67-58.

Iowa State decided to try the approach of make Clark beat us. It almost worked. It was back and forth in to the 4th quarter when Clark did anything she wanted.

Both teams play a fun game of hoops and a full house makes it even more fun to watch. Iowa State is playing 3 freshmen now and one is really going to be special before she is done at Iowa State. Kid is apparently very coachable and is learning every game. She was by far the best player in all of her high school games. Now it isn't like that and she is still scoring and she can shoot free throws. Of course, making free throws is a requirement if you are playing for Bill Fennelly.

Back