What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread-(RV) MEN'S BBall ends non-conf. hosting N. Colo. (Fri., 12/15/23; 6:00 PM; Pac 12 Net.) & Utah Tech (Thurs.,12/21, 5:00 PM; Pac 12 Net.)

Just got an up close view of Cody’s wrist. That brace/cast looks pretty damn significant. 😬
Sounds bad, oh wait.
tv land doctor GIF by nobodies.

UNC is an annoying, goofy bunch. I hope they lose every game going forward this season. RPI be damned.

Just got an up close view of Cody’s wrist. That brace/cast looks pretty damn significant. 😬
Like I’ve said, I’ve had wrist tendinitis and it hurts like hell just to move it. You have to completely immobilize it. I mean, just holding a pen hurts. So I’m not concerned about that. Once inflammation begins to dissipate the wrist heals up quickly. The old RICE thing.

If it were broken, they wouldn’t be talking “day to day.” It’d be 6 to 8 weeks.

Last edited:
Who tracks assists - the official scorer?

It's the only discretionary call in BB. It's usually obvious, but I'm curious.

Who tracks assists - the official scorer?

It's the only discretionary call in BB. It's usually obvious, but I'm curious.
I think almost every foul call is discretionary

I also think lane violations occur on >95% of FT attempts and the few times they're called is discretionary

I'd normally state that as 'subjective' vs 'discretionary' though

I also think lane violations occur on >95% of FT attempts and the few times they're called is discretionary

Steals are occasionally interesting too, one player pokes the ball loose, the other one collects it is very different than intercepting a pass.

You are correct. But, FWIW, assists are a positive stat, fouls and lane violations are negative

You are correct. But, FWIW, assists are a positive stat, fouls and lane violations are negative
Yep.

And while we're on the subject, I think a missing individual stat is tracking passes that lead to a teammate taking FT attempts, call it "free throw assists".

Media after last night's W -

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/12/15/mens-basketball-buffaloes-roll-past-northern-colorado

"

Buffaloes Roll Past Northern Colorado​

By: Neill Woelk, Contributing Editor

BOULDER — Colorado had six players in double-figure scoring Friday and the Buffaloes rolled to a 90-68 win over Northern Colorado at the CU Events Center.
Tad Boyle's Buffs improved to 8-2 with their third straight win while the Bears fell to 4-6.

One of Boyle's main goals all week had been to make sure the Buffs didn't experience a letdown in the wake of last Sunday's big 90-63 win over No. 15 Miami.
Colorado put those worries to rest in a hurry. The Buffs used a 21-5 surge over the final nine minutes of the first half to take a 48-27 lead at the break, then opened the second half with a 22-7 run to put the game away.

Guard KJ Simpson led CU in scoring with 21 points to go with five steals, five rebounds and four assists. Eddie Lampkin Jr. recorded his second double-double of the season with 10 points and 10 rebounds to go with six assists, J'Vonne Hadley tallied 15 points and six assists, Luke O'Brien scored 14, Tristan da Silva added 12 and Julian Hammond chipped in 10.

Saint Thomas led UNC with 27 points, but he shot just 10-for-22.

Colorado finished with 23 assists, the Buffs' sixth game this season with at least 20 assists. CU shot 49 percent from the floor (35-for-71) and held a 43-32 edge on the boards.

Defensively, the Buffs held UNC to 42 percent shooting (25-for-60) and also forced 15 Bears turnovers, which Colorado converted into 28 points.
CU hit the 90-point barrier for the fifth time this season and Colorado improved to 95-8 in home non-conference games in the Boyle era.
"Overall — you get 23 assists and six guys in double figures, that's good," Boyle said. "Our team is starting to come together."

The Bears never threatened to slice the margin under 20 again.

Simpson continues to make his case as being one of the best point guards in the country. Friday was his sixth game with at least 20 points and he now has three times as many assists (44) than turnovers (14) to go with his 20 steals.

"We're starting to rely on KJ like we used to rely on McKinley (Wright), both offensively and defensively," Boyle said. "He's playing at an elite level. If there's nine better point guards in the country, I want to see them. There's some good point guards in college basketball this year and KJ Simpson is one of them and to me he's a top 10 guard in the country."

TURNING POINT: After UNC cut Colorado's lead to five midway through the first half, the Buffs went on a quick 11-2 run to push their lead double digits and the Bears never threatened again.

WHAT IT MEANS: The Buffs improved to 6-0 at home and made sure there was no letdown after a big win over Miami.

KEY STATISTICS: Colorado finished with 23 assists, the Buffs' sixth game this season with at least 20 assists … CU shot 49 percent from the floor (35-for-71) and held a 43-32 edge on the boards … Colorado held UNC to 42 percent shooting (25-for-60) and also forced 15 Bears turnovers, which Colorado converted into 28 points.

NEXT UP: The Buffaloes wrap up their non-conference schedule next Thursday with a 5 p.m. home game against Utah Tech (Pac-12 Network) at the CU Events Center. Colorado then opens Pac-12 play with home games against Washington (Dec. 29) and Washington State (Dec. 31).
"
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2023-24/northern-colorado/boxscore/16558

Preview for tomorrow evening's game - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/12/20/mens-basketball-buffaloes-close-out-nonconference-with-utah-tech

"

Buffaloes Close Out Nonconference With Utah Tech​

December 20, 2023 | Men's Basketball

By: Troy Andre, Associate Director/Athletic Communications

Game 11 - Utah Tech, Thursday, Dec. 21, 2023
CU Events Center, Boulder, Colo.
Tip
: 5:02 p.m. MT
TV: Pac-12 Network (Drew Goodman, Matt Muehlebach)
Watch Online: Pac-12 Now App, Pac-12.com
Radio: KOA 850 AM & 94.1 FM (Mark Johnson, Scott Wilke)
Satellite: Sirius XM 388 & SXM App (978)
Listen Online: CUBuffs.com
Live Statistics: http://statb.us/b/483970

THE BUFFALOES: Colorado is 8-2 overall having won three-straight and four of its last five after a 90-68 win over Northern Colorado on Dec. 15. The Buffaloes will close out the nonconference portion of their schedule Thursday vs. Utah Tech.

Colorado is one of the top all-around shooting teams in the country, ranking in the top 13 nationally in all three percentage categories: overall field goal, 3-point and free throws. The Buffaloes are third in the nation in overall shooting at 52.1 percent, seventh from the line (.792) and 13th in 3-point accuracy (.398). Colorado is the only program in the nation ranked in the top 10 of field goal and free throw percentage and the only one in the top 13 of all three categories (through games of Dec. 19). The Buffaloes lead the Pac-12 Conference in all three as well.

ABOUT THE TRAILBLAZERS: Utah Tech is 5-6 overall and off to a 2-0 start in the Western Athletic Conference. The Trailblazers have lost their last three. This will be the ninth road contest in 12 outings for Utah Tech, with an even 4-4 mark through the first eight. The Trailblazers average 69.2 points while shooting 43.7 percent from the field. Defensively, Utah Tech allows 73.0 points, holding opponents to 42 percent from the field.

Junior forward Tanner Christensen leads Utah Tech at 12.2 points and 7.2 rebounds per game while shooting 56 percent from the field. Junior guard David Elliott is averaging 11.6 points and shooting 50 percent in five games off the bench. Junior guard Noa Gonsalves is averaging 10.5 points and has a team-best 18 3-point field goals.

THE SERIES: This will be the first meeting between Colorado and Utah Tech. The Trailblazers, formerly known as Dixie State, are in their fourth year of transitioning to NCAA Division I. Colorado is 14-9 against current WAC teams, including a 1-1 mark last season.
"
________________________________________________________________________________________

We seem to get really lazy and/or disinterested when we go up big. I know it’s human nature but it’s frustrating to watch.

Back