What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread - (RV) Men's bball on the road vs. #20/21 CSU (Wed., 11/29/23, 7:00 PM) & hosting Pepperdine (Sunday, 3:00 PM MT)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Next up for RV (Recieving Votes) Buffs men's basketball (5-1) is a 2 game week. 1st off they head up the road to Fort Collins to take on the #20 (media poll)/ #21 (Coaches' poll) ranked CSU Rams (6-0) Wednesday evening, and then they head back to Boulder and host the Pepperdine Waves (3-5) on Sunday afternon.

Wednesday's game is scheduled to be shown on the CBS Sports Network, while Sunday's will be on on one or more Pac 12 Network channels . (Further info and links are available near the bottom of this thread.)

Note- Not that they necessarily mean much if anything, but in the last NET Rankngs I can find for last season (dated 4/3/23), the Buffs ended up at #76, while CSU was #115 and Pepperdine #208.

Go Buffs!!!

(Preview(s) not available as I type this.)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Links with more more info on the upcoming opponents:

CSU:
Roster
- https://csurams.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
Stats - https://csurams.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2023-24
Schedule - https://csurams.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
Their preview article - Not available as I type this.

Pepperdine:
Roster
- https://pepperdinewaves.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
Stats - https://pepperdinewaves.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2023-24
Schedule - https://pepperdinewaves.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
Their preview article - Not available as I type this.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links:

Live video:
Vs. CSU
- Game is scheduled to be shown on the CBS Sport Network channel. (If like me you've NEVER looked for that channel until the Daytona Beach tournament last week, looked like the HD channel is #846 for Denver metro area Comcast/ Xfinity customers. For anyone with a subscription that includes access to that channel, I'm guessing the game might also be viewable on the CBS Sports App (if there is one), maybe Paramount+ and/ or through a link at http://www.cbssportsnetwork.com/ .?.)
Vs. Pepperdine - Game is scheduled to be shown on the Pac 12 National and Mountain channels. For anyone with a subscription to any Pac 12 Network channel, I'm guessing the game will also be viewable on the Pac 12 App, or through a link at https://pac-12.com/mens-basketball/event/2023/12/03/pepperdine-colorado .

Live audio - The games will be available on 850 AM and 94.1 FM in the Denver/ Boulder area and maybe other stations in the Buff radio network. In addition, free audio streams for the games will be available at:
Vs. CSU - https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2860&type=Live
Vs. Pepperdine - https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2862&type=Live

Link to link to live stats (All games) - http://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statmonitr.php?gid=colo
For specific games (If blank, not available as I type this.):
Vs. CSU -
Vs. Pepperdine - https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=483968

Game notes: (Note- Left empty for games that don't have any as I type this.)
Vs. CSU -
Vs. Pepperdine -

A couple of pre game thoughts.
- If all players play to their average we're better across the board.
- The fact that this game is at Moby swings things about 4-5 points in CSU's favor given word is this is their Hoops Super Bowl (shocker)
- Defensive matchups if it were me - Simpson on Stevens, TDS on Cartier, Lampkin on Scott, Williams on Strong, Hadley on Clifford
- Simpson and Stevens will get theirs. Ultimately it will come down to whether the real TDS shows up from the start, Lampkin takes advantage of his mismatch inside and makes his shots from 1-3 feet and/or creates opportunities for others, Hadley hounds Clifford into one of his infamous 1-8 type shooting nights and which 2nd group steps up and delivers.

It's not even December and this is a must win.

Please god tell me we get Mtn West refs, or local FoCo high school refs - Pac-12 refs will get Eddy 3 fouls in the first 12 minutes and put Nique at the line 112 times.

Please god tell me we get Mtn West refs, or local FoCo high school refs - Pac-12 refs will get Eddy 3 fouls in the first 12 minutes and put Nique at the line 112 times.
Same refs for P12, MWC, WAC, WCC, etc. Regional D1 crews, not employees of a single conference (unless something recently changed).

A couple of pre game thoughts.
- If all players play to their average we're better across the board.
- The fact that this game is at Moby swings things about 4-5 points in CSU's favor given word is this is their Hoops Super Bowl (shocker)
- Defensive matchups if it were me - Simpson on Stevens, TDS on Cartier, Lampkin on Scott, Williams on Strong, Hadley on Clifford
- Simpson and Stevens will get theirs. Ultimately it will come down to whether the real TDS shows up from the start, Lampkin takes advantage of his mismatch inside and makes his shots from 1-3 feet and/or creates opportunities for others, Hadley hounds Clifford into one of his infamous 1-8 type shooting nights and which 2nd group steps up and delivers.

It's not even December and this is a must win.
A couple of additions to this ^^ incisive list -

- CSU players are going to remember getting shellacked in Boulder last season (one of the biggest margins in the series)
- CSU fans are gonna want revenge for the OT loss in football
- The Buffs have a height/length advantage, will they use it?
- Cody will be the x-factor, will he assert himself at key moments in the game?
- Will CU react better to the being disrupted in running their offense then they did in the FSU loss?

Agree that this is a must win.

Buffs match-up well vs. both CSU & #10 Miami FL on 12/20; gotta get 1 of 2 wIns!

I’m more concerned with CSU’s elite D than Miami’s match-up, including CSU #3 in US in transition D, which should be a big test of our half-court offense. But they run so many guys back, we should dominate O-boards.

I’ve only driven up to Fort Collins for 2 games in 30 years of following CU Buffs here, but really tough place to play! Another Battle of Toughness tomorrow? We didn’t fare so well in the last one versus FSU!

Preview for tomorrow's game - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/11/28...s-ready-for-road-test-at-no-20-colorado-state

"

Boyle's Buffs Ready For Road Test At No. 20 Colorado State​

November 28, 2023 | Men's Basketball, Neill Woelk

BOULDER — Every college basketball rivalry game has a little extra juice, particularly when it's an in-state matchup.

But Wednesday night's Colorado-Colorado State tilt in Fort Collins (7 p.m. tip) could have more spark than normal — and a little more at stake — thanks to the recent play of both programs.

Tad Boyle's 5-1 Buffaloes spent two weeks in the nation's top 25 earlier this month before slipping to "also receiving votes" status in the most recent poll on the heels of an overtime loss to Florida State last week.

The 6-0 Rams, meanwhile, made their debut in the national rankings this week, coming in at No. 20 after a victory over No. 8 Creighton — making it the first time in the history of the rivalry that Colorado State will be ranked when playing the Buffaloes.

"We talk about small opportunities that lead to big opportunities, and every time we step on the floor it's a small opportunity," Boyle said after Tuesday's practice. "Colorado State's a small opportunity, but it's a little bit bigger than maybe some of the other opportunities. One it's an in-state rival, number two it's a quality opponent in a true road game."

The game is no doubt a solid opportunity for the Buffaloes to burnish their resumé with a quality road win in non-conference play. It's also a chance for the Buffs to get a taste of a true hostile environment — something they will see regularly in Pac-12 play.

"Hopefully, at the end of the year true road games mean something, winning on the road means something," Boyle said. "When you're able to do that in a hostile environment it gives you confidence as you go into league play and that's really what everybody's trying to do right now, is position themselves for league play. And these games are important, not only for us, but they're important for the Pac-12."

But beyond the opportunity at hand for both squads, the game is also a chance to boost the overall profile of college basketball in the state.

"What a great opportunity for college basketball fans in the state of Colorado," Boyle said. "It's good for the game in this state. And it's good for our guys to understand what it's going to be like in a hostile environment because it will be hostile."

Nikko Medved's Rams have no doubt captured the attention of CSU faithful with their 6-0 start. Point guard Isaiah Stevens — who Boyle calls "one of the best guards in America" — leads the Rams in scoring (17.5 per game) and assists (7.8 per game), and he is 31st in the nation in assist-to-turnover ratio (3.92).

But the Buffs have their own quality guard in junior KJ Simpson, who also leads his team in scoring (18.3 ppg) and assists (4.5 per game) and is 32nd in the nation in assist-to-turnover ratio (3.86).

"KJ is a great player in his own right," Boyle said. "Those two guys going head to head will be worth the price of admission."

But the Rams are far more than a one-man show. Grad student Joel Scott, the younger brother of former Buffs star Josh Scott, is averaging 14.5 points per game. Former Buffs Nique Clifford, who transferred to CSU in the offseason, is scoring at a 13.2 clip.

And, the Rams are fifth in the nation in shooting percentage, hitting nearly 54 percent of their shots from the floor.

"They all shoot the ball extremely well," Boyle said. "They're one of the most efficient offenses in the country. They've got four grad transfers and two seniors, so they're one of the oldest, most-experienced teams in the country as well."

The Buffs are coming off an 85-68 win over Iona on Sunday, a game that helped rinse the bad taste of last week's overtime loss to Florida State from their mouths. Both Simpson (15 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists) and Tristan da Silva (17 points, 3 rebounds) got back on track after difficult outings against the Seminoles.

Now they will be tested in their first true road game of the year in an atmosphere that will no doubt be unfriendly to everyone in black and gold.

"It's gonna be a heck of an environment," Boyle said. "Colorado State took care of their business against Creighton and we didn't take care of our business against Florida State. That's why they're ranked and we're not. There's nothing we can do about it other than go try to win the next game which is this one … I like our guys, I like our team. It should be hell of a college basketball game, especially for November in the state of Colorado. We know we'll be ready. I know CSU will be ready."

BROADCAST: The game will be televised by the CBS Sports Network. KOA radio (850 AM) will carry the broadcast with Voice of the Buffs Mark Johnson and Scott Wilke on the call. The pregame show begins at 6:30 p.m.

THE SERIES: Colorado has a healthy 93-65 overall all-time edge against the Rams, including last year's 93-65 win in Boulder, which was CU's third straight win in the series. But the series has been much closer in Fort Collins, with CU holding a 37-28 edge.
"

Ticket value is holding up for this game.

Secondary sales sites have tickets starting at $61 + fees, but a lot of tickets went up for sale today. Not sure they'll drop to a reasonable price.

Buffs match-up well vs. both CSU & #10 Miami FL on 12/20; gotta get 1 of 2 wIns!

I’m more concerned with CSU’s elite D than Miami’s match-up, including CSU #3 in US in transition D, which should be a big test of our half-court offense. But they run so many guys back, we should dominate O-boards.

I’ve only driven up to Fort Collins for 2 games in 30 years of following CU Buffs here, but really tough place to play! Another Battle of Toughness tomorrow? We didn’t fare so well in the last one versus FSU!

Moby is a difficult place to play. It gets really loud in that ugly place. I hate their court.

Predictions?

This is big tonight. I just don't know if we have the fortitude. Hope I'm wrong. FSU OT really bummed me out and I was blind from that for a few days. But my sight is back thankfully.

Wool 81
Buffy 77

That is correct -- the term 'Pac-12 Refs' has always been a misnomer for hoops. We'll have largely the same officials pool next year and beyond.
Sarcastic Season 9 GIF by The Office

Need KJ to channel his inner Spence and just be the best guy on court. Spence loved to punish CSU. I also think he was quoted calling them lil bro after punishing them. Good Times!
Even better, it was before punishing them.

“It was a one-point game last year and they rushed the court,” CU guard Spencer Dinwiddie said. “They showed how much it meant to them to beat us.”

Asked about the irritation level CU had with Rams fans rushing the court, Dinwiddie deadpanned, “A little bit” before going further.

“You just kind of see when the little brother beats the big brother once, then they are going to be happy, they are going to rush the court,” Dinwiddie said. “When we win tomorrow night, I don’t think our fans are going to do that.”

Huh. Today I learned that "Moby Arena" is not named for some obscure Colorado A&M basketball player, but in fact so named because it looks like a whale, and is therefore named after Moby Dick.

That is really stupid.

Huh. Today I learned that "Moby Arena" is not named for some obscure Colorado A&M basketball player, but in fact so named because it looks like a whale, and is therefore named after Moby Dick.

That is really stupid.

Steve Kewskin, the Rocky Mountain Collegian’s sports editor at the time, called on students to submit ideas for naming for the new athletics facility.

The suggestions included references to its shape and appearance, including “Giant Mushroom,” “Great Arch,” “The Saddle,” and “White Whale,” as well as “Ramnasium,” “Pumpkin Palace” and simply “The New Gym.”

Robot Wtf GIF

I will be referring to it exclusively as the Pumpkin Palace moving forward.

Back