What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games we care about (MBB resume)

COLORADO wins 73-70 at Stanford to go to 9-5. Trees fall to 5-8.
Grambling (7-5) wins 101-42 vs North American.
UC Riverside (8-5) wins 71-59 vs CS Bakersfield.
Northern Colorado (5-8) loses 72-81 at Weber State.
Utah (10-4) wins 58-43 at Cal (1-13).

North Alabama won at Jacksonville State. 👍
aTm handled biz at home vs Prairie View A&M.
P12 After Dark right now is USC at Washington with UCLA at Wazzu at 9.

(Only one that matters for us is rooting for UCLA since we play them twice and Wazzu once - this rule justifies rooting against Zona in all P12 games this year too)

USC handled UW pretty easily.

UCLA got what I think was their 1st lead of the night on a game winning basket.

Also, last night's win bumped CU to #57 NET.

Maybe you gurus can set me straight, but all this talent and CU loses to also rans like Cal, Grambling, UMass and Boise. why?

I also suspect the NCAA's are no-go territory absent a Pac 12 auto bid by winning the tourney and the NIT may be at risk at this point.

Why are they playing so poorly?

Maybe you gurus can set me straight, but all this talent and CU loses to also rans like Cal, Grambling, UMass and Boise. why?

I also suspect the NCAA's are no-go territory absent a Pac 12 auto bid by winning the tourney and the NIT may be at risk at this point.

Why are they playing so poorly?
No leadership, and no heart

Seems to be a weird disconnect with a few teams this year, ie. where they stand in NET vs being nationally ranked...

Wisconsin: AP: #18, NET: #61 (behind CU)
Charleston: AP: #22, NET: #53
St. Mary's: AP: #30, NET: #9
WVU: AP: No votes, NET: #20
Miami: AP: #16, NET: #40

Those first two are barely on the right side of the bubble, but they're ranked nationally. Seems there's bigger discrepancies this year between computers and voters than I remember in years past.

Seems to be a weird disconnect with a few teams this year, ie. where they stand in NET vs being nationally ranked...

Wisconsin: AP: #18, NET: #61 (behind CU)
Charleston: AP: #22, NET: #53
St. Mary's: AP: #30, NET: #9
WVU: AP: No votes, NET: #20
Miami: AP: #16, NET: #40

Those first two are barely on the right side of the bubble, but they're ranked nationally. Seems there's bigger discrepancies this year between computers and voters than I remember in years past.
Wow. That is big.

Also, kenpom thinks our defense is 32. Much better than a top 70 offense

I expected this thread to be retired by this point.
mood GIF

I don't think we can claim to be on the Bubble.

However, yesterday's win jumped our Buffs 10 spots in the NET Ranking to #65.

Utah's at #56. A road win this weekend to get us to 15-11 and #60ish with the opportunities still on the schedule would mean that we're still alive. The tough schedule to finish is actually a blessing.

Worst case: it goes chalk and we'll have to win the P12T to Dance this year. (No different than where we've been for a month.)

Best case: Buffs win 4 or more of the final 6 (all games Tier 1 or 2) and we're either a Dance lock or at least firmly on the Bubble.

I don't think we can claim to be on the Bubble.

However, yesterday's win jumped our Buffs 10 spots in the NET Ranking to #65.

Utah's at #56. A road win this weekend to get us to 15-11 and #60ish with the opportunities still on the schedule would mean that we're still alive. The tough schedule to finish is actually a blessing.

Worst case: it goes chalk and we'll have to win the P12T to Dance this year. (No different than where we've been for a month.)

Best case: Buffs win 4 or more of the final 6 (all games Tier 1 or 2) and we're either a Dance lock or at least firmly on the Bubble.
We will win more than chalk. But not enough

Probably. 16-15 or 17-14 entering the P12T would probably be the smart money.

Grambling, Cal & the ASU choke likely killed this season. Should be at least 17-8 (8-6) right now. 😢
Yup. So close to good despite everything. Tads doing a good job with this group even though he did a bad job putting them together

Yup. So close to good despite everything. Tads doing a good job with this group even though he did a bad job putting them together
We've got 2 of the top 5 or 6 scorers in the conference. Most of our losses saw either or both score 10 or fewer. They both have to play well for our Buffs to have a chance.

And that's ok, really.

Problem is we've got no one who has shown up as #3. Hadley was averaging 8 & 6, which is a fine #4. But where's the #3? It needed to come from the group of Nique, Hammond, Ruffin, Gabbidon & LOB - all averaging 5-6 ppg while all shooting 40%.

My hope is that Nique & LOB are starting to shoot like they're capable lately. More often than not, one of them looks like he'll give us an efficient 10 points.

We've got 2 of the top 5 or 6 scorers in the conference. Most of our losses saw either or both score 10 or fewer. They both have to play well for our Buffs to have a chance.

And that's ok, really.

Problem is we've got no one who has shown up as #3. Hadley was averaging 8 & 6, which is a fine #4. But where's the #3? It needed to come from the group of Nique, Hammond, Ruffin, Gabbidon & LOB - all averaging 5-6 ppg while all shooting 40%.

My hope is that Nique & LOB are starting to shoot like they're capable lately. More often than not, one of them looks like he'll give us an efficient 10 points.
3d option has been the Achilles heel for sure. Nique. Sigh

3d option has been the Achilles heel for sure. Nique. Sigh
Most frustrating thing with Nique has been that it's been 100% mental. He has been getting great looks all year off catch & shoot or being set up for drive & pull-up or finish - all out of the basic offense from getting the ball as the defense is rotating/recovering. All season, he'd get 8-12 great looks a game from that if he hadn't allowed a shooting slump to cause him to press on O and pout on D / rebounding. If he would have been mentally tough enough to just play his game with confidence, he'd be exactly the missing piece.

Back