What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Gary Barnett to replace Larry Zimmer on KOA in 2016.

I'd say that if you played a drinking game in which you had to drink every time 1) Mark Johnson lets a play go without citing down and distance, and/or 2) Mark Johnson describes the type of snap (e.g. "chest-high snap"), you won't make it through the game.

3) Describing every throw as "rifles a pass..."

All I can say is viva P12 network, live TV with other commentators is great....even if CU draws the guys we have never heard of before. One more year with Zim, the dude is a legend, he will be missed.

Great to hear this! I've always supported Barnett and thought he was the victim of that witch hunt. The guy has continued to bleed Black and Gold even after the way he was treated by the University.

Did KOA ask for Dr. Dave's and Mary Keenan's permission?

I think this is truly awesome! I'm a big GB fan. I think his regime was torpedoed by the whole scandal thing and that if not for that, he'd have had a very successful run.

Wow, really stoked for this. Barnett has been loyal to this program even after he got, imo, railroaded by the CU administration.

Friend of mine was just at a Rotary luncheon that Zimmer was speaking at and he texted me this "breaking" news. He was disappointed when I told him it was up on the news feed.

Great choice! GB is a good dude and a Buff through and through. Has always stayed around the program and has always been willing to help the coaches that have followed him. Never had that same presence around northwestern?

Did KOA ask for Dr. Dave's and Mary Keenan's permission?

I think this is truly awesome! I'm a big GB fan. I think his regime was torpedoed by the whole scandal thing and that if not for that, he'd have had a very successful run.
Maybe, but he would also have stuck himself with Bernard Jackson as QB.

Ha! Love it!

As someone who listens to the KOA broadcast every week by necessity, and not by choice, I like Mark Johnson.
I forgot to mention that Leavitt was awesome! AWESOME! I don't even remember what he said, aside from "I don't know about you all, but I'm tired of practice! Let's play some football!" but I just remember feeling the presence and getting fired the **** up when he got up to the podium and started yelling at all of us.

Does the University have control over this?
I think that CU officially runs and produces the football and basketball radio networks, and then essentially sells the product to affiliates, like KOA (when I was in college they even had a broadcast affiliate at one of the Aspen stations, so I could listen when I went home). Buffalo Sports Properties is the entity that manages media rights for CU broadcasts. They have some kind of arrangement with Learfield Sports, and are listed as a "property" of Clearfield Sports, although I am unclear what that means. Learfield appears to be involved in marketing collegiate properties, so maybe they sell the network adds and the feed to local stations. My impression is that Buffalo Sports Properties is like a division of the Athletic Department (their mailing address is at Folsom), so Rick George would have ultimate control over it.

Does this mean Vince Okruch will do the on-field reporting during games now that Chad Brown is an assistant in Seattle?

Maybe, but he would also have stuck himself with Bernard Jackson as QB.
My point is kind of based on no scandal therefore no recruiting restrictions therefore better players. But I could be wrong like I usually am.

I think that CU officially runs and produces the football and basketball radio networks, and then essentially sells the product to affiliates, like KOA (when I was in college they even had a broadcast affiliate at one of the Aspen stations, so I could listen when I went home). Buffalo Sports Properties is the entity that manages media rights for CU broadcasts. They have some kind of arrangement with Learfield Sports, and are listed as a "property" of Clearfield Sports, although I am unclear what that means. Learfield appears to be involved in marketing collegiate properties, so maybe they sell the network adds and the feed to local stations. My impression is that Buffalo Sports Properties is like a division of the Athletic Department (their mailing address is at Folsom), so Rick George would have ultimate control over it.
But, also, Mark Johnson is sports director for KOA. I know CU and KOA have a contractual agreement. I wonder what the Contract says? Does it give KOA Carte Blanche on personnel or does CU have approval rights?

BSP works very closely with the AD, but are separate from the AD. BSP manages the contracts for radio ads, banner ads (ie. Bank of the West ads around the stadiums), stadium ads (on video boards, etc.), game day sponsorship's (King Soopers Breast Cancer Awareness, etc.), and other events on-campus for athletic events. BSP is kind of like a franchise of Learfield Sports. Each school has their own ____ Sports Properties (not all, but most D1 schools use Learfield), but the corporate entity is Learfield Sports.

Simply awesome news! I love Gary Barnett!! It will be great to have him around the program full time...even if it isn't as coach, which he would still be if the non-scandal scandal hadn't happened..and we would be a perennial power as well, but I digress.

Congrats Gary!!!

Barnett should be recorded in history as one of the best on the field coaches this university has ever seen. His downfall was getting disenchanted with prima donnas and helicopter parents and stopped recruiting top talent when he caught any whiff of these situations. I would bet he would acknowledge this in private moments now that he is removed from the situation.

I am happy to have him back involved with the program in any capacity. I hope he develops into a solid media personality.

Great news-GB has been doing radio work for several years, and I've heard him do some games here and there in the SEC over the years. Solid analyst, and thrilled he's back in the fold.

I was surprised at how often Gary was spotted around the CU football program considering his railroading of a decade ago. He really loves this place. Couple his passion for Colorado football with his knowledge of the game and you have a tremendous asset to the broadcast team. The only drawback is that he's only 10 years younger than Zim so you wonder how many years he'll be doing this.

my most vivid and favorite buff memories are from the Barnett era so I am a big fan of this. He always seemed to care about CU football.

Also, I am a fan of Mark Johnson and think they will be a great team. I wonder how Chad Brown feels. I thought he might be guy to replace Zimmer

Kind of unfortunate timing with the Baylor story. Some of the national media doesn't have the same rosy memory of Barnett that people here do.

Caught a few games on the radio here and there with GB as the analyst - he's pretty good at the role. It's going to be nice having some who also bleeds black and gold replacing Zim.

Back