What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Going for 2

Couldn’t agree more, sounds like they only went for 2 because they hadn’t realized the previous play was a TD, but I like going for 2 on the road in that situation every time, was surprised announcers were so critical.

I have to admit this was confusing AF. Live in the stadium the one side judge did a no call and then after a few seconds it looked like he looked at Montez and threw his hands up for like a second. I was sitting in a predominant USC section and half the people missed the call, and were wondering what the hell was going on. They never called it on the PA and it didn’t look like the adjusted the score on the scoreboard until after or during the 2 pt conversion. I was confused, and trying to figure out why they spotted the ball so far back when it looked like at worst he might have stepped out at the 1.

That makes sense that they didn't know. The TD signal was very late and we didn't have a timeout so they were trying to set up a play from the 1 to punch it in on what I think would have been 3rd down.

Still unacceptable, though.

Meh. Not in the same category as a Embree’s infamous QB sneak on 1st down.

Mark Johnson was indignant during the KOA radio broadcast that 6 points weren’t even put scoreboard even after the ref’s very late TD signal. The officials didn’t help add much clarity to the situation.

Really on the sloppy late TD call than anything. As far as the announcers, let's just keep in mind that Brady "There has never been a completed pass out of bounds" Quinn was on the call last night.

They didn’t put points on the board, the touchdown signal was really late. Everyone in the stadium was confused, go look at Ryan Abraham’s twitter feed.
Yep. Everyone around me thought there was no touchdown.

On a random note, the SC fans around us were very cordial, and pretty much ignored us. They knew their team pretty well and all hated their play calling. There were a couple of people around me that bitched about the refs on every play to the point it was pretty amusing and annoying. The refs kind of sucked for both sides but they could not believe many of the calls were possible. I have to admit that i am still trying to figure out the pass interference in the end zone against SC, i never saw it, but then again they rarely show a replay that shows anything of value if it could be against them.

weird situation all around on going for 2, I can let that one slide.

What I can't let slide is the final drive of the first half. That was some monumentally stupid **** for Mac to not call a timeout. It's not the first time either, Mac definitely goes full moron sometimes in the last 2 minutes.

And what the **** was that 16+ play drive in the 10 min to 5 min left in the game drive? Absolutely zero urgency from our team. Running the ball constantly, not playing fast. I had no sense that they still even wanted to win the game at that point. Weird

Even though the officials were late in calling the TD, they clearly signaled TD within 15 seconds of the play being “over”. The play clock was reset once they finally signaled it, so I really don’t buy the excuse they thought it was just another play. And if that is actually the case, then I don’t even know what to say about a professional coaching staff not understanding what’s going on. Don’t get me wrong, pac12refs is a real shame, but there’s no excuse for that, IMO

weird situation all around on going for 2, I can let that one slide.

What I can't let slide is the final drive of the first half. That was some monumentally stupid **** for Mac to not call a timeout. It's not the first time either, Mac definitely goes full moron sometimes in the last 2 minutes.

And what the **** was that 16+ play drive in the 10 min to 5 min left in the game drive? Absolutely zero urgency from our team. Running the ball constantly, not playing fast. I had no sense that they still even wanted to win the game at that point. Weird
Yeah it seemed like they just wanted to burn time until halftime. Then they realized the offense was executing on the drive for once that quarter (that HORRIBLE quarter), and probably should’ve been managing the clock rather than burning it.

So, we would all agree that the brilliant Coach Mac would not go for 2 in that situation EVER? Only in a unique situation such as this would it have happened.

The end of the first half lack of timeout, and the long drive to basically signal to the world that we want to get the heck out of LA with our tails between our legs are the type of things that MM comes up with because I feel like he tries too hard to be the nicest guy in the world, instead of a coach with a killer instinct. When you are paid over $2 million to coach the signature school in a state, then you need to give these kids and us fans your all!

They didn’t put points on the board, the touchdown signal was really late. Everyone in the stadium was confused, go look at Ryan Abraham’s twitter feed.
Yes. I saw.

Question: when ball was moved back to three, why was the spotter with the goggles in the box not screaming his head off.

Yeah it seemed like they just wanted to burn time until halftime. Then they realized the offense was executing on the drive for once that quarter (that HORRIBLE quarter), and probably should’ve been managing the clock rather than burning it.
MM addressed this at his presser.

I’ll summarize...

He was afraid. Had flashbacks to last year. Turtled. Went full beta male.

Yes. I saw.

Question: when ball was moved back to three, why was the spotter with the goggles in the box not screaming his head off.
The TD call was delayed but o my by like 10-15 seconds. There’s no excuse for MM or anybody else on the staff not knowing it was a TD and they were lining up for two

So, we would all agree that the brilliant Coach Mac would not go for 2 in that situation EVER? Only in a unique situation such as this would it have happened.

The end of the first half lack of timeout, and the long drive to basically signal to the world that we want to get the heck out of LA with our tails between our legs are the type of things that MM comes up with because I feel like he tries too hard to be the nicest guy in the world, instead of a coach with a killer instinct. When you are paid over $2 million to coach the signature school in a state, then you need to give these kids and us fans your all!
This. MM accepted defeat right before half by not calling a TO when it was necessary to call a time out to try to put pts on the board. He might have been thinking of hitting up in n out after the game.

Yep. Everyone around me thought there was no touchdown.

On a random note, the SC fans around us were very cordial, and pretty much ignored us. They knew their team pretty well and all hated their play calling. There were a couple of people around me that bitched about the refs on every play to the point it was pretty amusing and annoying. The refs kind of sucked for both sides but they could not believe many of the calls were possible. I have to admit that i am still trying to figure out the pass interference in the end zone against SC, i never saw it, but then again they rarely show a replay that shows anything of value if it could be against them.
The TV replay clearly showed the DB grabbing the WRs jersey prior to the arrival of the ball. Clearly PI.

The TV replay clearly showed the DB grabbing the WRs jersey prior to the arrival of the ball. Clearly PI.
That would explain why they never showed the whole replay. That was really annoying, but I guess I would do the same

Check out my thread pac 12 officiating is enough to make me want to puke. Cfb refereeing is the worst in all sports

So not only were those high quality PAC12 officials confused, they managed to confuse the players, coaches, and fans.

Coaches should know what is going on but with everything going on at one time on the sidelines and a call that is delayed and unclear it doesn't surprise me that there would be some confusion. Remember the 5th down game all those years ago most of the coaches on both teams didn't know exactly what was happening.

The failure to manage time prior to halftime was a much worse problem. Getting points there could have given us some momentum and changed the game some.

In the end I don't think it would have mattered. Our OL had no chance against their front seven athletes.

I need to retract my criticism as I had the TDs confused. I was thinking of the Evans TD run that took some time for he officials to make the call.

If you don't make it, you're down 11 and now require two touchdowns. If you do make it you require a touchdown and a field goal to win. If you just kick the PAT you require a TD and FG to tie. The risk of being down 11 grossly outweighs the benefit of being down 9 with 1:42 left in the game.

Back