What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Going rate for recruit visits?

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
The Ohio State AD said this week that recruits are asking for $5,000 just to come out for a visit. On the one hand, it's weird to me that paying for travel & entertainment is not enough to get someone to come to campus for what is essentially a job interview. But on the other hand, the party with leverage can always make demands and change how business is normally conducted. I think this is good insight into what is going on and highlights why CU, which has to fly talent in much more than a program sitting in a blue chip hotbed such as USC, UGA, aTm or Miami, has to be willing to commit to a massive recruiting budget - not just to cover the cost of doing business but also to do a deeper screening process which avoids investing in wastes of time who just want a fun trip and a paycheck.

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith has claimed in a written testimony that it has "become common" for potential prospective college athletes to ask for $5,000 merely to visit a school’s campus.

Smith's assertion comes on the same day he and others from across the world of college athletics appeared before the House Committee on Small Business in Washington, D.C., to discuss the impact of name, image and likeness (NIL) rules on college sports. Smith is among those who believe federal legislation is needed.

“A practice of asking a school for a fee to simply visit campus has emerged; asking for $5,000 just to visit has become common. During visits, discussions now emerge regarding how much a student-athlete can expect from NIL," Smith wrote in his testimony.

Last edited:
The Ohio State AD said this week that recruits are asking for $5,000 just to come out for a visit. On the one hand, it's weird to me that paying for travel & entertainment is not enough to get someone to come to campus for what is essentially a job interview. But on the other hand, the party with leverage can always make demands and change how business is normally conducted. I think this is good insight into what is going on and highlights why CU, which has to fly talent in much more than a program sitting in a blue chip hotbed such as USC, UGA, aTm or Miami, has to be willing to commit to a massive recruiting budget - not just to cover the cost of doing business but also to do a deeper screening process which avoids investing in wastes of time who just want a fun trip and a paycheck.

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith has claimed in a written testimony that it has "become common" for potential prospective college athletes to ask for $5,000 merely to visit a school’s campus.

Smith's assertion comes on the same day he and others from across the world of college athletics appeared before the House Committee on Small Business in Washington, D.C., to discuss the impact of name, image and likeness (NIL) rules on college sports. Smith is among those who believe federal legislation is needed.

“A practice of asking a school for a fee to simply visit campus has emerged; asking for $5,000 just to visit has become common. During visits, discussions now emerge regarding how much a student-athlete can expect from NIL," Smith wrote in his testimony.
“We used to get recruits with cars and tattoos! Now we have to pay them.”

Last edited by a moderator:
On one hand, I hate the idea of paying a kid for a visit. On the other, this has to be another advantage for Coach Prime. There's so much energy, so much attention on CU that kids want to be a part of it. They're seeking him out, which I have to believe reduces or eliminates that payment when kids know the kind of experience they'll have, and the attention they'll receive, if they visit.

I just can’t see Prime playing that game no matter how big the recruit. He understands NIL and supports his players NIL efforts. But he doesn’t like it.

Prime likes the NIL concept, make no mistake. He just doesn't like the collectives.
Exactly. He disagrees with funds set up to win bidding wars for acquiring talent in college sports. He wholeheartedly embraces helping a college athlete build their brand so that businesses see an ROI opportunity in licensing a player's name, image or likeness to promote its goods or services.

That's where I'm at, fwiw. Everyone should play by the same rules on room, board, scholarship, tutors, etc. plus a merit scholar stipend for being a student athlete. I'm even in favor of a profit share for players which drives that stipend. But NIL needs to be about market value as a paid endorser.

Last edited:
Exactly. He disagrees with funds set up to win bidding wars for acquiring talent in college sports. He wholeheartedly embraces helping a college athlete build their brand so that business see an ROI opportunity in licensing a player's name, image or likeness to promote its goods or services.

That's where I'm at, fwiw. Everyone should play by the same rules on room, board, scholarship, tutors, etc. plus a merit scholar stipend for being a student athlete. I'm even in favor of a profit share for players which drives that stipend. But NIL needs to be about market value as a paid endorser.
and a players union.

Seeing the Marvin Harrison injury got me thinking. The NFL/ NFLPA rule of not being able to enter the league until 3 years removed from HS has always been b.s. But they can keep that and change draft rules now that we have NIL. Make it so that they can draft anyone at least a year removed from HS. Pay a signing bonus based on draft position while they're still in college if they decide to stay. Other than the money, I think NBA used to have this. I think MLB maybe still has something like it.

Seeing the Marvin Harrison injury got me thinking. The NFL/ NFLPA rule of not being able to enter the league until 3 years removed from HS has always been b.s. But they can keep that and change draft rules now that we have NIL. Make it so that they can draft anyone at least a year removed from HS. Pay a signing bonus based on draft position while they're still in college if they decide to stay. Other than the money, I think NBA used to have this. I think MLB maybe still has something like it.
That is NHL type isn’t it

I think the MLB rule is something like if they get drafter right out of HS they can sign with an MLB team but if they decide not to go then they have to play at least 3 years of college baseball.

so after 3 years does the team who originally drafted him still own his rights or is he eligible to re-enter the draft?
I don't remember. Maybe they have rights, but if they can't reach agreement (or choose no to) either the player re-enters draft or maybe becomes a free agent anyone could sign if they trade for the rights?

I don't remember. Maybe they have rights, but if they can't reach agreement (or choose no to) either the player re-enters draft or maybe becomes a free agent anyone could sign if they trade for the rights?
No there’s no draft and follow in baseball. An MLB team doesn’t retain the rights to a player when they don’t sign after being drafted. They go back into the draft free of rights until they run out of college eligibility. So if a high school kid does not sign, they can go to a JUCO and be drafted after each year at that JUCO, or they can go to an NCAA school and can be drafted again after 3 years post high school graduation or if they turn 21 by a certain date, whichever comes first.

This is more the NHL model. They hold a players rights through college, then the player becomes a FA if they can't reach agreement before graduation. MLB used to have a draft and follow model for a year, until the next draft, but they've since changed the rules so players have to have a deal within a couple of months or they go back into the next year's draft.

Why not $100K per visit? if you're going to pimp yourself out that should be chump change over the long term.
Wish I'd thought of this when I worked in corporate America, quit every other year and make bank at no cost to me.

You Are Dumb Mario Lopez GIF

NIL payments need to be transparent and deposited into an escrow account. Player collects when they get their degree or when they go to the league for example.

Would at least establish an accounting trail. Any payments not made thru escrow account would constitute violation.

NIL payments need to be transparent and deposited into an escrow account. Player collects when they get their degree or when they go to the league for example.

Would at least establish an accounting trail. Any payments not made thru escrow account would constitute violation.
I think a profit share could work like that. Players have it waiting for them when their eligibility is exhausted.

I like that idea. However I’m not sure NFL GM’s would be willing to pump money into a recruit and risk that investment by them playing for a college program.

Say a team drafts Travis Hunter and pays him bank. Do you think they’d want Deion playing him both ways? No way.

Back