What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Good day re:CSU

sparkles is also rumored to be a top candidate for the fuskers. that buyout is going to become less and less relevant if the bidding war heats up.

i wonder if sparkles sent the uf guys home so he could hear what the fuskers are willing to offer... this guy became a red hot commodity. good for him. i thought he did a great job with the sheep.

Would make for an interesting battle.

Also if Florida and Nebraska are after him would that force Michigan to also at least try to talk with him. We know they have other candidates but if Sparkles becomes "the" hot guy even more than he is now it could get very interesting.

Ya LOTS of conflicting info out there right now.

However a plane from FoCo to Birmingham has left. Timing is too coincidental.

Still can't shake the feeling that the Florida AD screwed up or made this process much more difficult than it needed to be.

sparkles is also rumored to be a top candidate for the fuskers. that buyout is going to become less and less relevant if the bidding war heats up.

i wonder if sparkles sent the uf guys home so he could hear what the fuskers are willing to offer... this guy became a red hot commodity. good for him. i thought he did a great job with the sheep.

Last rumor is that the Nubs are zero'd in on Brett Bielema. The AD has a long relationship with Bielema from Wisconsin. Buyout only 2.5MM.

Now why you would leave the SEC with your team on an upswing is beyond me. Especially to live in f*&ckin' Lincoln.

A bidding war would be a good situation for CSU. Probably the only way we get the entire lump sum.

Last edited:
Still can't shake the feeling that the Florida AD screwed up or made this process much more difficult than it needed to be.

It is starting to look that way. That Coloradoan reporter just said that Sparkles and Family weren't on the plane that just left for Birmingham. Very very odd. This has become a giant cluster. Florida gets egg on its face, FoCo is now in limbo with their coach and the vultures are circling. Crazy process and I think UF being so public about it, really screwed it up.

Hard to figure but we know a couple things.

After all this it would be almost impossible for Sparkles to come back and coach CSU next year, he's gone.

Also just consider that there is more than one airplane available to fly him to Florida. May simply be a case of deal closed, now he has time to tie up loose ends, get a good nights sleep, meet with the team and his assistants some of whom are close friends, and then fly out to Florida for the press conference.

Not exactly a pressing reason for him to be in Florida tonight.

Florida: Per sources, Jim McElwain has informed his players at Colorado State that he is leaving for the Florida job.

This is on footballscoop right now-Sparkles didn't want to pull a Todd Graham, and that was the only reason why he wasn't on Gator One when it left.

Florida: Per sources, Jim McElwain has informed his players at Colorado State that he is leaving for the Florida job.

This is on footballscoop right now-Sparkles didn't want to pull a Todd Graham, and that was the only reason why he wasn't on Gator One when it left.

This report has been contradicted by the players.

History tends to repeat itself. The last time UF hired a great coach, he was the coach of the year in the MWC. I think they feel like they have the next Urban Meyer on their hands.

Somebody better grab Hoke, then. RichRod isn't doing too bad in Tucson.

Oh man, news in orlando reporting deal has stalled due to CSU's buy out clause. Apparently CSU will not budge on the $7.5mil.

Wow. Just wow if true. That would be unbelievable.

And a disaster for CSU. I know CSU wants the full cash, but it doesn't look good to future coaches, and it probably won't settle well with McElwain. Nothing like a disgruntled HC who hasn't been recruiting much to come back next season.

What are the stipulations of the buyout if he just resigns and takes the UF job? It's clear he wants it.

Not sure this is a great move by CSU unless they are certain that someone else will pay the whole $7m. He is about as lame a duck as you can be now.

Why doesn't Florida just cough up the money? Its not like they don't have it. The Florida AD looks like a complete idiot.

They are also on the hook to muschamp for 6+ mil. I know Florida has a lot of money, but roughly 14mil for 2 coaches, before salary is quite an expense.

It'll be awkward in Ft. Fun if this deal falls apart...for about a week. Then it'll be back to normal. Sparkles is a professional. If the deal falls apart because of factors that are outside his control, then he'll stay at CSU and continue to be as good a coach as he can be. I wouldn't worry too much about hard feelings if UF and CSU can't come to an agreement on the buyout.

Keep in mind that this all would be a lot easier if there was an actual AD up there. CSU is learning the hard way how important a competent AD is.

RamNation is awesome right now, some choice threads:

"Don't forget to "Unlike" and "Unfollow" CJM FaceBook Page"

"LSU lost Nick Saban. They seemed to survive. Wisconsin lost Bert Bielema"
That's hilarious! Some CSEwe fans are completely delusional.

Actually, if you read his tweets with a Napoleon Dynamite voice, it works pretty well.

People, STOP believing all these STUPID reports that we've been called into a team meeting. GOSH!

But my lips hurt real bad!

attachment.php

It'll be awkward in Ft. Fun if this deal falls apart...for about a week. Then it'll be back to normal. Sparkles is a professional. If the deal falls apart because of factors that are outside his control, then he'll stay at CSU and continue to be as good a coach as he can be. I wouldn't worry too much about hard feelings if UF and CSU can't come to an agreement on the buyout.

Keep in mind that this all would be a lot easier if there was an actual AD up there. CSU is learning the hard way how important a competent AD is.

Exactly. McElwain will get up and say all the right things about how this is where he wants to be, blah blah blah. This just wasn't the right move, blah blah blah. He and his family love Fort Collins.....and then he will go on collecting his seven figure salary.

Last edited:

I don't know. There are rumors that McElwain has been talking to UF for 2 weeks now, since before their bye and loss. There are also rumors that he and his staff have been hardly recruiting this cycle as well.... only 6 commits right now.

Current targets have had visits canceled for this, this is splayed across the tube. I don't see how it is good for anyone.

They are also on the hook to muschamp for 6+ mil. I know Florida has a lot of money, but roughly 14mil for 2 coaches, before salary is quite an expense.

But you have to be ready and willing to spend it if you make the trip to Fort Collins and do something this public. Now anyone Florida goes after looks like their second choice because they got cheap.

Last edited:
This is a mess for CSU. It is a mess for UF. If UF doesn't get it done, they look foolish, like they went after their guy only to be too stingy to make it happen. Cadillac tastes on a Chevy budget. If CSU doesn't work a deal, then it will be the first of never before they get an up and comer to sign on the doted line with any buyout clause, that HC knowing he will be held hostage for the last penny if and when a big job comes along. It is in the best interest of both parties to get a deal done...pronto.

Channel 4 reporting that Florida is leaving without McElwain on the plane. Talks will apparently continue. That would be the biggest botch job in history if the Florida AD isn't able to close the deal with McElwain and CSU.

Plane that took Florida AD Jeremy Foley to Colorado now returning with no deal in hand with McElwain

Rut roh!

No deal has been reached to bring McElwain to Florida to replace Will Muschamp. Reports from media in Colorado had indicted McElwain's $7.5 million buyout was a major roadblock in the negotiations.

GatorZone.com, the athletic department's web site, sent out a Tweet that said: "We’ve had very productive conversations with Coach McElwain and his wife Karen and those continue."

Thats not a good sign for UF.

Last edited:
Back