What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Helfrich interviewing at Oregon (No longer CU OC)

Re: Helfrich interviewing at Oregon

That Denver Johnson hire is looking better and better!

Oh, and Klatt for QBs coach.

If we are talking former Buff QBs, to coach QBs I'd take Moschetti over Klatt. Mike's been at least coaching these last few years, most recently at CSU-Pueblo on Wristen's staff. *

*I'm not advocating either for Buffs QB coach. I think there will be much better QBs coaches available.

I'd be surprised if Helfrich is hired by Oregon.

I think Moschetti was replaced before he even coached a game Southern Colorado (I cannot call it csu. Neither can my father who is a Alum of Southern Colorado). Klatt does come from a coaching background.

Klatt's got a pretty decent gig at FSRM. He's probably the best analyst they have.

It always amuses me that people throw out ex-players at the first hint of a coaching change. I would hope Hawk could hire someone with actual QB coaching experience, but that's just me.

It always amuses me that people throw out ex-players at the first hint of a coaching change. I would hope Hawk could hire someone with actual QB coaching experience, but that's just me.

Let's bring in EB as OC, fire riddle and bring in embree, get rid of collins and bring in sean tufts and .........

I agree

Go north and turn left. Please.
No problem with the timing. Anytime for this to happen is a perfect time.

00trail.states.jpg

Let's bring in EB as OC, fire riddle and bring in embree, get rid of collins and bring in sean tufts and .........

I agree

Sub Gregorak for Tufts. Ty's actually coaching right now:smile2:

It always amuses me that people throw out ex-players at the first hint of a coaching change. .

i agree completely. Mac years are over, get over it folks. i remember when it was a pretty vocal group at NB who wanted Alfred Williams as DC to replace Okruch....."because he bled black and gold". the fact Al has no coaching experience whatsoever, wasn't a factor.

I also feel this way about calls for Beinemy to OC. what has the guy done to *merit* being a coordinator? coach Adrian Peterson and running backs at CU and UCLA?

i'd love to see EB on staff as a recruiter but as OC at this point in his career is ridiculous.

Last edited:

i'd love to see EB on staff as a recruiter but as OC at this point in his career is ridiculous.

Why? Helfrich is 35 years old. EB is 38-ish. EB has played and coached at both the college and NFL level. I think he's earned the shot at the next step on the ladder, personally.

I also feel this way about calls for Beinemy to OC. what has the guy done to *merit* being a coordinator? coach Adrian Peterson and running backs at CU and UCLA?

Why? Helfrich is 35 years old. EB is 38-ish. EB has played and coached at both the college and NFL level. I think he's earned the shot at the next step on the ladder, personally.

I'm not sold on EB as an OC quite yet either, but I do think you could make a good argument that it is the next logical step for him. It would certainly be a gamble, but could be a high-risk, high-reward type of deal. He at least has a track record of coaching at the college and pro level that is pretty good IMO. The other guys like Alfred Williams and Joel Klatt? Please.

I'm not sold on EB as an OC quite yet either, but I do think you could make a good argument that it is the next logical step for him. It would certainly be a gamble, but could be a high-risk, high-reward type of deal. He at least has a track record of coaching at the college and pro level that is pretty good IMO. The other guys like Alfred Williams and Joel Klatt? Please.
why is no one talking about Denver Johnson? The guy has been the HC for quite a few seasons of some pretty decent offenses...

i wasn't sold on Helfrich when he was hired or now. i think this staff would have benefited from someone who had called plays before (especially since the mythical Hawkins "Boise Playbook" has turned out to be a charade)...rather than letting Helfrich learn on the job (which was acceptable with the alleged "system" Hawk was putting in....now, that it's pretty clear that was Peterson's job at BSU.....it seems we've just twittered with the wind scheme-wise and Helfrich hasn't had any real commitment to anything).

I like the Denver Johnson hire because this staff is really young and can maybe use someone with experience elsewhere to keep it from trying to outsmart itself all the time.

In year 1 I would have much preferred, let's say, someone like Hal Mumme, a former coach with a scheme who is looking for some success to get back into the HC game.

as far as EB, do you want him for his credentials or because he's EB? I don't think, on their own, his credentials merit a OC job in a BCS conference right now. let him take an OC job at a mid-major and learn on the job if he wants to go the college route.

Last edited:

If I'm an Oregon fan (which I'm not, thank God) I'm wondering why the hell we're interviewing Helfrich??? CU offenses have not exactly been lighting it up, and they have looked especially weak compared to our peers in the conference.

We would all be scratching our heads if CU was interviewing the OC from the 11th best offense in the ACC for example.

Makes me wonder if he has a legit shot at the job quite frankly.

If I'm an Oregon fan (which I'm not, thank God) I'm wondering why the hell we're interviewing Helfrich??? CU offenses have not exactly been lighting it up, and they have looked especially weak compared to our peers in the conference.

We would all be scratching our heads if CU was interviewing the OC from the 11th best offense in the ACC for example.

See Watson and the fuskers. Sometimes **** doesnt make sense.

i wasn't sold on Helfrich when he was hired or now. i think this staff would have benefited from someone who had called plays before (especially since the mythical Hawkins "Boise Playbook" has turned out to be a charade)...rather than letting Helfrich learn on the job (which was acceptable with the alleged "system" Hawk was putting in....now, that it's pretty clear that was Peterson's job at BSU.....it seems we've just twittered with the wind scheme-wise and Helfrich hasn't had any real commitment to anything).

I like the Denver Johnson hire because this staff is really young and can maybe use someone with experience elsewhere to keep it from trying to outsmart itself all the time.

In year 1 I would have much preferred, let's say, someone like Hal Mumme, a former coach with a scheme who is looking for some success to get back into the HC game.

as far as EB, do you want him for his credentials or because he's EB? I don't think, on their own, his credentials merit a OC job in a BCS conference right now. let him take an OC job at a mid-major and learn on the job if he wants to go the college route.

My thoughts exactly on the mythical Boise Playbook, Maybe Petey wouldn't give DH his copy when DH left.

A huge WTF on the Mumme thing. That guy is a disaster waiting to happen.

I would be pretty concerned if I were a DUck and somebody was handing the OC to Helfrich....

i just mean someone like Mumme: an experienced guy with a track record of O success, first name that popped in my head. more emphasis on a coach with a scheme and experience than Mumme per se.

I agree with BB. People throwing out former players for OC is ridiculous IMO. If Helfrich get's hired it's as Co-OC and mainly as QB coach. I think Chip Kelly would handle most of the play-calling responsibilities

I think Denver should be promoted to OC. It would be nice to have a POWER Running Game.
Some option plays should be thrown in as well!

Here are EB's credentials (as I understand them) - College all american, Finalist for the Heisman trophy, all time rushing leader at CU, NFL draft pick, 4-5 years playing in the NFL, graduate assistant at CU, RB coach at CU, RB coach at UCLA, RB coach at Minnesota Vikings.

He clearly has the playing credentials. To me, I think he has the coaching credentials. Hell, the Denver Broncos just hired a guy who's YOUNGER than EB as their HEAD COACH.

So yes, I'd hire EB on his credentials. The fact that he's a Buff is a bonus. Just because he's not calling the plays doesn't mean he's not involved in drawing up the plays and knowing what plays are run in certain circumstances.

i just mean someone like Mumme: an experienced guy with a track record of O success, first name that popped in my head. more emphasis on a coach with a scheme and experience than Mumme per se.

Understood.

Here are EB's credentials (as I understand them) - College all american, Finalist for the Heisman trophy, all time rushing leader at CU, NFL draft pick, 4-5 years playing in the NFL, graduate assistant at CU, RB coach at CU, RB coach at UCLA, RB coach at Minnesota Vikings.

He clearly has the playing credentials. To me, I think he has the coaching credentials. Hell, the Denver Broncos just hired a guy who's YOUNGER than EB as their HEAD COACH.

So yes, I'd hire EB on his credentials. The fact that he's a Buff is a bonus. Just because he's not calling the plays doesn't mean he's not involved in drawing up the plays and knowing what plays are run in certain circumstances.

Ok that's great, but who coaches QB's

well, i'm with you when his name starts turning up for other OC jobs around the country and not just this one. have you seen his name associated with any other OC jobs? the fact that he's a Buff is more than a bonus, it's the only connection to him and the OC job here. outside Cabral and Darian he's got no connection to this staff. we can agree to disagree, but i don't see it as an option right now based on anything but nostalgia, to be honest. let him take an OC job at a mid-major and prove something first.

i don't see him giving up a pretty good thing in the NFL, moreover. once you make a name you can fired and hired 4-5 times in the "League". re-tread city.

edit: and playing credentials are nice but secondary. Isiah thomas, Magic Johnson...great players, bad coaches.

Last edited:

I don't think EB's coming here either. Just the same, I don't think it would be a terrible hire if he did. Both he and Embree have, IMO, earned their shot at a coordinators job.

As for the QB coaching job - duh, Dave Logan.

Back