What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Honest Q for fusker fans

I think the better question is whether you guys are OK with the wrist-slap that Purify got?

He deserved to sit several games, if not be booted from the team. Instead, he misses a meaningless game...

Publicly the husker faithful are very disappointed and think he should have got an more severe punishment.

Behind closed doors they are high fiving each other that he's only missing the East Chicken **** High game.

I've heard this all before with Houston and Incognito. In fairness to the fuskers I know, they actually defended Houston and Incognito much more so than Purify. It's too bad Mo is not more like his uncle.:huh:

Philly,

If you don't know why we slid those years, I can spell it...S-O-L-I-C-H. He was a great Assistant but that doesn't necessarily translate to master Head Coach(see Norm Chow). Besides..people were catching up to the option. No biggie, all we had to do is adapt.

Now for out of conference....always been 1 premier, 1 mid tier and a couple of puffs. Always has been, always will be. About the time you start netting 1+ million per home game, you will understand this. As you are finding out internally, facilities do not pay for themselves and they usually don't get fully paid for by private donations either.

Do you honestly think a program is "afraid" to play someone??? If that was the case, NU would decline any bowl bids.

I know the money issue.... PSU takes the cake.... PSU declined to play CU because CU wouldnt give them a 2 for 1 home series. I understand the financial aspects of it. Lincoln makes more money than CU does BY FAR for home games. CU makes more money by having a prime time game on TV (in the past few years: Florida State, Arizona State, USC, UCLA, Washington, Michigan, Wisconsin, Miami). Its a market issue that is one example of the inequities of college football.

That doesn't make it right.... NU's MO is to play 3 crappy out of conference games and then take a team that is a low level BCS conference team....

You played PSU and ND the last few years.... you scheduled them when they were actually decent..... and the USC game came upon because the NCAA added a 12th game. Your schedule is better than the early 90's.... but it still reeks of tune up games.....

Back to your slide.... you can credit Solich, u can also credit that Nebraska couldnt ... by rules, take the players that they used to take on the 85 scholarship limit. Some might say that NU had to clean up their act due to some bad publicity of players (Cough on steroids Cough) or (assault).... I dont need to go into tit for tat on the rap sheet of CU v. NU... we have a convicted murderer on ours.... but no one can deny that they Big 12 forced the schools to recruit better athletes... combine that with the 85 scholly limit.... and u have an automatic competitive advantage for Texas, California, and Florida based schools. They have historically the best High School talent.

Diatribe finish later.. newborn crying

I know the money issue.... PSU takes the cake.... PSU declined to play CU because CU wouldnt give them a 2 for 1 home series. I understand the financial aspects of it. Lincoln makes more money than CU does BY FAR for home games. CU makes more money by having a prime time game on TV (in the past few years: Florida State, Arizona State, USC, UCLA, Washington, Michigan, Wisconsin, Miami). Its a market issue that is one example of the inequities of college football.

That doesn't make it right.... NU's MO is to play 3 crappy out of conference games and then take a team that is a low level BCS conference team....

You played PSU and ND the last few years.... you scheduled them when they were actually decent..... and the USC game came upon because the NCAA added a 12th game. Your schedule is better than the early 90's.... but it still reeks of tune up games.....

Back to your slide.... you can credit Solich, u can also credit that Nebraska couldnt ... by rules, take the players that they used to take on the 85 scholarship limit. Some might say that NU had to clean up their act due to some bad publicity of players (Cough on steroids Cough) or (assault).... I dont need to go into tit for tat on the rap sheet of CU v. NU... we have a convicted murderer on ours.... but no one can deny that they Big 12 forced the schools to recruit better athletes... combine that with the 85 scholly limit.... and u have an automatic competitive advantage for Texas, California, and Florida based schools. They have historically the best High School talent.

Diatribe finish later.. newborn crying

back to my point....

I dont think u can blame Solich.... the surrounding circumstances had more of an impact than your coach did.

Your fairly new here,my rep on this board is the class clown..... i have also been to Lincoln 6 times for games... didnt miss a game from 1991-2002... leave it to your imagination as to why. I like the rivalry... wish we could get better faster...... but I have issues with your program as you I am sure have isues with mine.

Last edited:
I don't think that Cally is on the hot seat this year because he is still doing better and better each year. Is it slowly getting better.................yes. Sure we would like for it to go faster, but when you go from an option team to a WCO you guys and gals know as well as me that is a HUGE change. It's taking some time to get his recruits in here, but he is getting them here. I think anything short of a Big XII Championship is a disappointment this season, but again that's just my feeling. I question his playcalling sometimes, but by no means am I a football calling genius. If I was I wouldn't do what I do that's for sure. Three season's ago we have a losing season, two seasons ago we go to the Alamo Bowl and beat Michigan, last season we get a trip to the Big XII Championship, but lose and then get a bid to the Cotton Bowl against Auburn. This season............................you can see the trend so the next obvious step is a Big XII Championship..........................do you think I'm asking for too much? :smile2:

I think anything short of a Big XII Championship is a disappointment this season, but again that's just my feeling.

If our season doesn't show drastic improvement over last year (6 wins or more), you will have plenty of company in your inevitable disappointment.:thumbsup:

Geez Philly, we'll get along jus tfine. I have a newborn also and am kind of a class(some say ass) clown also! Anyway...the 85 limit had far less to do with the fall from grace than Frankie, and I was a staunch supporter of hiring Frank. The 85 limit helped mid tiers more than it hurt us. If he would have recruited top shelf players with the available schollys, he wouldn't have had any issues. The staff as a whole got old and lazy.

From a personal stand point...when my nephew was recruited 5 years ago...NU had coaches in house as did T A&M, Iowa, Northwestern and others. Dan Young was the NU coach that visited and my brother said it was one of the LEAST inspiring talks ever. He said all the other teams had younger, more vibrant and exciting representation. He really didn't know how NU convinced any kids to come.

When Cole Bunner and Andy Birkel are your crown jewels, you got some issues...you are probably scratching your head just like I was....

By the way, why does everyone assume a Nebraska fan hates CU? They are not my favorite but I have to admit, I rarely missed a home game on TV when channel 4 carried all of them with Les what's his name as play man. I always liked watching them and still do. I only get irritated by the half truths and lies spouted by both sides. Nothing wrong with good natured ribbing but NO PROGRAM is fault free. Does the Purify deal bother me? No. Was he brought back just to try to win? Only in the minds of Conspiracy Theorists. Hey, he wasn't even our top receiver last year...Nunn was. I don't know the facts of the case and I doubt anyone else does either. Most scumbag coaches have been identified by past actions(Erickson, J Johnson, Switzer, Holtz, Sherrill, etc). Callahan is certainly not a scumbag.

And someone asked about the whole "Genius" thing. Since I'm not a coach, I defer to those in the profession and most seem to think he is OK. I guess I would like to see something from one of his peers that says he is a jerkwad. Most coaches won't say someone is a jerkwad but they will also rarely give an endorsement of someone unless it is warranted.

Does the Purify deal bother me? No. Was he brought back just to try to win? Only in the minds of Conspiracy Theorists. Hey, he wasn't even our top receiver last year...Nunn was. I don't know the facts of the case and I doubt anyone else does either. Most scumbag coaches have been identified by past actions(Erickson, J Johnson, Switzer, Holtz, Sherrill, etc). Callahan is certainly not a scumbag.

Mo pled guilty, big guy. This is no conspiracy, he pled to the charges. And still only gets 1 game off. If that doesn't bother you, you might want to take a long look in the mirror.

Just looked. Still doesn't bother me. I suppose if you get into a little trouble we should suspend you from work? Only difference 'tween Mo and 99% of the population is he got caught. Does it make it right? Nope. Should he be kicked off? Nope. A college kid in a scuffle....wow...unheard of. And again, unless someone knows the no **** sherlock facts, why judge? If he truly is a villain, he will slip up and be gone. If no more slips, I would say it was a good judgement of character. Time will tell.

My best buddy got a DUI his Freshman year at NU. He said never again because he had to explain that at every job interview out of college and check the old felony box. He turned out to be a pretty good fella despite his transgression.

Anyway, I think the point was...did he get 1 game because we need him? Of course not. How could that be if he isn't our top receiver? Nunn is. Purify didn't catch 1 ball against SC last year so how in the hell can this be a reason???

If you get kicks out of pointing fingers, have at it. Still won't make it right.

Just looked. Still doesn't bother me. I suppose if you get into a little trouble we should suspend you from work? Only difference 'tween Mo and 99% of the population is he got caught. Does it make it right? Nope. Should he be kicked off? Nope. A college kid in a scuffle....wow...unheard of. And again, unless someone knows the no **** sherlock facts, why judge? If he truly is a villain, he will slip up and be gone. If no more slips, I would say it was a good judgement of character. Time will tell.

My best buddy got a DUI his Freshman year at NU. He said never again because he had to explain that at every job interview out of college and check the old felony box. He turned out to be a pretty good fella despite his transgression.

Anyway, I think the point was...did he get 1 game because we need him? Of course not. How could that be if he isn't our top receiver? Nunn is. Purify didn't catch 1 ball against SC last year so how in the hell can this be a reason???

If you get kicks out of pointing fingers, have at it. Still won't make it right.

Ah, yes, the old 'we need to give them a second chance' talk. You've had to use that one several times as a holer fan, haven't you? From LP to Christian Peter to Incognito (with several others I haven't mentioned in between) and now Purify.

I dont' get kicks from pointing fingers. But I do think actions need to have consequences. Real ones, not bull**** 1 game suspensions. You do the crime, you pay the piper. ****, Sean Tufts got suspended for a game for littering. Mo P drives drunk and beats the **** out of someone and gets the same punishment.

Unleashed: Do I think BC is on the hot seat? From the fans: Most Likely. From Pederson: Not on your life. This (BC) is Pedersons baby and he will never give up on it as long as he is the AD here. Yes I sure do and I think deep down he knows this. I think BC at first had no idea how to coach in a "college atmosphere" but is slowly changing. I have to say that I am very happy with all the good recruits BC has brought in. I also think he has "dumbed down" the WCO offense to help these kids play better. Just my two cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, if you have kids, the first time you smell alcohol on their breath, I expect you to post here that you have officially suspended them from school and all activities. I smell a Ted Haggard scenario here...say one thing and do another.

I would rather be honest than a hypocrite.

I won't change your mind and you won't change mine so there we are.

Not sure how this morphed from "is Cally in trouble?" but, no he is not. Look for a 5 yr extension in the next few months.

OK, if you have kids, the first time you smell alcohol on their breath, I expect you to post here that you have officially suspended them from school and all activities. I smell a Ted Haggard scenario here...say one thing and do another.

Not sure how this morphed from "is Cally in trouble?" but, no he is not. Look for a 5 yr extension in the next few months.

259607293_l.gif

I also think he has "dumbed down" the WCO offense to help these kids play better. Just my two cents.

That is definitely your key to success. An overly-complex offense is just too much for college kids to grasp in their short time on campus.

Hey Buffarino also....

No need to get into a rap sheet war with the Huskers..... we have our own in house problems!

Besides..... Mo's brush with the law...... while isnt good..... really isnt that big of a deal compared to what is going on in the sports world today.... Even Barry Bonds looks like a Saint!

By the way, why does everyone assume a Nebraska fan hates CU? They are not my favorite but I have to admit, I rarely missed a home game on TV when channel 4 carried all of them with Les what's his name as play man. I always liked watching them and still do. I only get irritated by the half truths and lies spouted by both sides. Nothing wrong with good natured ribbing but NO PROGRAM is fault free. Does the Purify deal bother me? No. Was he brought back just to try to win? Only in the minds of Conspiracy Theorists. Hey, he wasn't even our top receiver last year...Nunn was. I don't know the facts of the case and I doubt anyone else does either. Most scumbag coaches have been identified by past actions(Erickson, J Johnson, Switzer, Holtz, Sherrill, etc). Callahan is certainly not a scumbag.

And someone asked about the whole "Genius" thing. Since I'm not a coach, I defer to those in the profession and most seem to think he is OK. I guess I would like to see something from one of his peers that says he is a jerkwad. Most coaches won't say someone is a jerkwad but they will also rarely give an endorsement of someone unless it is warranted.

You sound pretty reasonable....

How old is your little one? Boy? Girl?

Mo didn't just go drink. He went out, beat the **** out of someone, and he drove drunk.

The drinking doesn't bother me, but the other 2 sure as hell do. Who is saying to boot him for drinking? Not me. It's what he does when he drinks that bothers me.

Threadjacking is an honorable pastime around here. You'll get used to it.

Hey Buffarino also....

No need to get into a rap sheet war with the Huskers..... we have our own in house problems!

Besides..... Mo's brush with the law...... while isnt good..... really isnt that big of a deal compared to what is going on in the sports world today.... Even Barry Bonds looks like a Saint!

My intent is not to re-hash all the problems with NU's program over the years. Just saying this is a bull**** punishment, much like they have been in holerland in the past.

I don't give a **** what's going on elsewhere. I think actions need to have real consequences. Otherwise you teach these kids that **** like driving drunk and getting into fights is no big deal.

Philly, you better change your tone towards me or you may get mobbed. You may want to call me a "Reasonable Asshole". that will keep all sides happy.

Got a 4 month old, Jace and a 4 yr old Ceja, both boys. Getting old so I had to use the same 4 letters for each name so i don't forget.

OK Buffarino, I will give in on Purify if you agree to get after Unleash for **allegedly** sodomizing that gobbler in his picture. That to me is truly offensive and I would not photograph myself doing so. C'mere birdie...gonna make you gobble like a turkey...just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Sorry Unleash, just trying to get Buffarino to accept me. Falls under the good natured ribbing.

Sorry Unleash, just trying to get Buffarino to accept me. Falls under the good natured ribbing.

I'll never accept holers. I'll tolerate them, but never accept them.:smile2:

One of my groomsmen is an NU alum. I merely tolerate him, too.

thanks lammie.

BRCop, Waylon, Dusty, Blackshirts, and other fuskers what are your takes?

And feel free to bring this up about Hawk in two years if CU doesn't appear to be going anywhere.

......... just got back from vacation... yes the fishing was great. lots of NU news while I was out of country.....

first off, welcome Rock, good solid posts. It is also nice to see the other good husker fans posting on this Kameltoe, Blackshirt, BRIowan, Lammie... all level headed posts.

lots happened in Lincoln this week; Purify got off too easy IMO should have been at least one more game (one per incident). He did get fined and has comm service to perform, has hopefully learned a lesson but I just cant help but think Cally went soft so he has wiggle room should this kid **** up again, if he would have given 4 games and then Mo does something else he would pretty much have to toss him.... just my opinion but there it is.

NU had a strong week of recruiting gaining 3 since I left. NU also lost another 05 kid, not good, both Roarks were suppose to be good players but something else is working here and I don't know what it is.

As for Cally being on the hot seat? ....the simple answer is, not under this AD, Smiley Stevie Pete knows he is connected at the hip with BC for better or worse now and the only thing they can do is to make this work to save their own skins IMO.
I like Cally as a man (I may be in the minority here) he has had a very tough job, to retool NU's O into the new millennium was no small task and he did not have much to do it with. NU had good quality kids on D but on O it was very thin. IMO BC needs another B12N title and play in the CCG again. There are still many unanswered questions about BC's game calling ability and halftime adjustments that concern me more than the W's and L's right now, he can sustain losses to SC, UT and maybe another 1 or 2 then lose in the CCG without being on the hot seat as long as the losses are respectable and NU gets beat by talent and not poor decisions from the skybox and sideline.

I think he is a hell of a recruiter, very organized and a hard worker.... but this is a watershed year, and if Cally comes out looking weak between the ears it is bad news for him and Stevie Pete. There is still a faction of VIP's that have yet to give him the open arms treatment. TO may even be working against him IMO keeping the pot stirred up in subversive ways, using former players as pawns (although I think he is trying to get at Stevie Pete more than Cally).
NU is also structured contractually so that the vast majority of local sports talk radio is stacked up against NU, this is somewhat of a new development for our state. NU has the official voice of Husker radio in Pinnacle and all other talk shows can not get the opportunity to talk to any staff member in any sport (except for golf???) so it becomes easy for them to shoot arrows because there is never a response, only the official word from the official mouth piece.... it is a HUGE mis-calculation when designing the current radio deal now that there have been struggles and there is a need for the current staff in FB and Hoops to do some PRing... we will see, it promises to be interesting if nothing else.

Sorry for the delayed response and long post but there you have it, I could have gone on for sometime more on this topic.....:smile2:

if the fuskers don't have a winning season or even if they have a 6-6, 7-5 type of year and they don't beat anyone good, i think cally and pedey will both get fired, extension or not.

things are set up for a fusker year in the north, if they don't do it this year, i think the fusker fans and boosters will want blood.

but, i am just an observer from far away.

if the fuskers don't have a winning season or even if they have a 6-6, 7-5 type of year and they don't beat anyone good, i think cally and pedey will both get fired, extension or not.

things are set up for a fusker year in the north, if they don't do it this year, i think the fusker fans and boosters will want blood.

but, i am just an observer from far away.
after I posted last night I went to Huskerpedia to get caught up and low and behold, Smiley Stevie Pete got an extension and a raise both to my disappointment, so it appears that Cally will get one as well IMO..... but if a 6-6 occurs you can bet things will get heated up.

The ONLY way Cally goes is if the bottom falls out for some reason(unless it is a mass injury situation). Stevie P. is on record saying it is no longer "X" number of wins driven, it is about where the program is headed and if things are being done right. Steve understands that all programs are subject to an off year and will only win it all on occasion. He is extremely level headed in that respect and knows a revolving HC door is a sure fire disaster. His concern is to recruit properly, produce a competetive product, graduate players and have outstanding facilities. The rest will take care of itself.

He has a HC that has reached the ultimate game in football. Regardless of anyone's thoughts, you don't get there by being an idiot. If one wants to argue that talent alone got him there, then the same could be said for the talent he is gathering at NU. Every coach will make a curious call now and again. Could be the opposing coaches are making great calls...who knows?

The day and age of 9+ per year are OVER....most can accept that. In the day of the 85 scholly limit(and contrary to popular belief, this HELPS NU), expectations have to change.

On the scholly issue...imagine if stockpiling were still allowed? A great number of people committing to NU would stay in Texas, Cali, Florida, etc and go to the home school. Now THAT would hurt.

The way to stay near the top now is to simply build a better mousetrap and they are well on the way...like it or not.

I may have asked this before and it could be a whole 'nother thread....BUT...

Did the North teams CATCH NU or did NU actually FALL BACK to the rest of the pack? I tend to think NU fell back but am open to discussion and namecalling:)

First off...thanks Van for the kudos...second....It is a very slim chance we will go 6-6. I predict we'll lose 3 or fewer (maybe a little wishfull thinking).

Anyways...like I said, I think I would have liked to stay with Solich IMHO...but that's just my opinion. I still love Callahan but my only gripe about him is that he still coaches like he's in the pros and I think he needs to bring it down a notch.

First off...thanks Van for the kudos...second....It is a very slim chance we will go 6-6. I predict we'll lose 3 or fewer (maybe a little wishfull thinking).

Anyways...like I said, I think I would have liked to stay with Solich IMHO...but that's just my opinion. I still love Callahan but my only gripe about him is that he still coaches like he's in the pros and I think he needs to bring it down a notch.

I dont knock your opinion about Franky..... the thing is, we will never know. If that all-star outfielder comes in as QB, NU might have challenged. My own family is split on this topic and it gets discussed PLENTY while fishing. If Frank was fired after the 7-7 season nobody doubts the call being right, but to retool the staff and go 10-3... with a dynamic DC... who knows. SP grates on me more all the time, he may be doing a good job but he is still a dickhead when it comes to PR. I am hoping for the best but still bracing for it not to happen..... BC is the key and we will find out soon enough if he is the man the Rock thinks he is.... it will be fun to watch.

Last edited:
Additionally, I hear lots of "Cally is gonna be gone"....

I ask...for WHO?

Factually speaking...the ONLY Offers/Rejections last go 'round were:

Rich Rodriguez- we offered a 2-1 with us playing 2 there as part of the deal.

Al Saunders- stayed in the Pros

The Guy from the cowboys- stayed in the Pros

Urban Meyer- no interest and wanted to bring his whole staff.

Contrary to popular belief...Pelini DID have a shot but wanted 2X the money he was offered.

So again, who would bring more bang for the buck? No matter how Steve ended up with Callahan, he will end up looking pretty lucky in a few years.

Back