What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Honest Q for fusker fans

Yeah...I concur with what your saying. Pattywhack seems to be all about the Nebraska getting $ and not enough about keeping our prestige.

Also, change your avatar picture its distracting the piss out of me

Waylon.

My Brother & I have this same conversation weekly...He thinks Stevie P. acts like a prick, etc, doesn't say enough, ect...

I counter with ...what should he say? Since when are details of a coaching search public knowledge? Who exactly does he report to? That is who he should be keeping in the loop.

I been a fan since about '70 and have never felt the need to be informed.

Conversely, if he had come in...said publicly...we need to scrap the offense, times are a changing, etc...would it have changed anyones outlook? Nope...we would still be in the same position...some would agree, some wouldn't.

As far as the coaches...I posted about my nephew's recruitment and the coach comparison. Trust me, a change was needed to keep up. We needed a whole new dynamic.

I may be daft, but I really can't think of anything Steve has done that I disagree with. Can you imagine being in his shoes and having to make these decisions...talk about grapefruits.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT Stevie P.:)

I may be daft, but I really can't think of anything Steve has done that I disagree with. Can you imagine being in his shoes and having to make these decisions...talk about grapefruits.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT Stevie P.:)

You would be welcome in our boat anytime :lol:....

This thread is about to get the big..... "why dont you ****ing fuskers go to a fusker site" treatment and probably justifiably so..... but your points are valid and a fresh take in my opinion.... "replace him with who" is an awesome point. like I said earlier it is time to make this work. Someone on another NU site posed the question for the SP haters (I actually am more of a disliker than a hater, he just grates on me like nails on chalkboard) "list the top 5 things that SP has done to deserve firing".... it would be tough to come up with a valid list deserving of his removal.... but I still just dont like that asshat, he does not represent me or what I consider Nebraska values.... enough of the high-horse stuff.

:lol:..... this is the best NU thread on any site right now, discussion without emotion or anger.... Allbuffs rocks, period...... but the natives will be dumping on it very soon and I dont blame them. Awesome stuff Toe and Rock.

You would be welcome in our boat anytime :lol:....

This thread is about to get the big..... "why dont you ****ing fuskers go to a fusker site" treatment and probably justifiably so..... but your points are valid and a fresh take in my opinion.... "replace him with who" is an awesome point. like I said earlier it is time to make this work. Someone on another NU site posed the question for the SP haters (I actually am more of a disliker than a hater, he just grates on me like nails on chalkboard) "list the top 5 things that SP has done to deserve firing".... it would be tough to come up with a valid list deserving of his removal.... but I still just dont like that asshat, he does not represent me or what I consider Nebraska values.... enough of the high-horse stuff.

:lol:..... this is the best NU thread on any site right now, discussion without emotion or anger.... Allbuffs rocks, period...... but the natives will be dumping on it very soon and I dont blame them. Awesome stuff Toe and Rock.

I've never come to this site to spam worthless CU hate or anything like that. I like the Big12 and I like our 'semi' rivalry. It's fun to take shots at each other but only in fun....it's entertaining. I like allbuffs as well...I just like to talk Col. Football...PERIOD. I post on hboard as well but the one reason I don't post there as much is because it's SO BIG. There are so many people posting and so many threads it's all too overwhelming. I like the smaller atomosphere here and as much as people from Colorado and Nebraska like to argue it...we're not that far from each other in terms of how we act or live.

Oh and by the way...**** CU :smile2:

It's nice to know that we can provide you all a room. Just clean up your mess afterwards.

I think I was going to make some statement about this thread, but got distracted by the gals in Waylons posts, and....

what were we talking about again?:cool:

Actually, since I started posting ehre last week, nobody has been obnoxious. I admitted I was a "Reasonable Asshole" and all has been well. No need to BS, it is easier to tell it like it is.

Buffarino can be a little ornery but is coming around.

Since people have been ignoring this question, I will make it more obvious..

)(#*()$&*@#&$*_@#*(%*(!$*()!()$&..DID THE NORTH ACTUALLY CATCH UP TO NU OR DID NU FALL BACK TO THE PACK_(&$&_*(@$_!@*&$_@*&$@&*!$!@*_$_*

I think NU just fell back. And the one thing I have to blame is our declining emphasis on our defense. That's my 2 cents.

)(#*()$&*@#&$*_@#*(%*(!$*()!()$&..DID THE NORTH ACTUALLY CATCH UP TO NU OR DID NU FALL BACK TO THE PACK_(&$&_*(@$_!@*&$_@*&$@&*!$!@*_$_*

great change of topic.....
IMO the facts speak for themselves.... the B12N did not play a ranked team amongst themselves for a stretch of like 4 years, the B12N was and still might be weak.

So, when looking at the big picture...to fix something you need to first know what happened....

"We fell back" is a much different and easier fix than "They caught up", Ceteris Paribus, of course.

Why did we "fall back"? Fix these and we should be OK....

1. Recruiting fell off....fixed(on paper at least)
2. Facilities aged...fixed big time
3. Offense a turn off to kids WITH ELIGIBILITY(not to us old timers)...yep, fixed
4. Inability to recruit to Siberia, Midwest.....obviously not true, just needed better salespeople.

In my business, eliminating your 3 major deficiencies takes care of about 90% of your issues and that certainly appears to be the case.

That just leaves us with "those that caught up or passed us" AKA, the South.

Now we can talk coaching and other intangibles...

Actually, I think the North as a whole fell back. UNL just fell back the most, making it appear that the North caught up to UNL.

The north blows until they can prove any different. As much as it pains CU fans (myself included) we need NU to beat USC. As much as it pains NU fans, they need CU to beat FSU (pipe dream) or Georgia next year to make a statement that the north is back. We need KSU to scare the **** out of and possibly beat Auburn.

Until we start beating teams from the south consistently, and from OOC, then the North will still be weak. And just one team will not make a difference. We need two or three really strong teams. NU and CU need to be like the OU and UT of the north.

The north blows until they can prove any different. As much as it pains CU fans (myself included) we need NU to beat USC. As much as it pains NU fans, they need CU to beat FSU (pipe dream) or Georgia next year to make a statement that the north is back. We need KSU to scare the **** out of and possibly beat Auburn.

Until we start beating teams from the south consistently, and from OOC, then the North will still be weak. And just one team will not make a difference. We need two or three really strong teams. NU and CU need to be like the OU and UT of the north.

:yeahthat: and the North needs to beat the South in a damn Championship game.

now that is something I can shake your hand on... and buy the first beer. Amen Brutha.

I agree...although I don't think the North is as bad as folks think across the country. I wish we could line up challenges across entire conferences like they used to do in basketball so you could measure the Big XII against entire conferences. I would particularly like to put the Big 10 up to the challenge to prove how week that conference really is....

Beyond the unimportant babble I just blurted - I believe the North has been mired in mediocrity and the fuskers have fallen into that same category.

Now let's get our (North) **** together and start winning the conference...

This next season is going to be HUGE for the North teams. They need to start stepping up and end this bull**** about the South!!!! Like I said in another thread I am going to be rooting for any North team that plays a South team or OOC play and hope like hell they win!!!!

I respect opinions about everyone cathing up and not playing ranked opponets and yadda yadda yadda but ranked or not...when we went to the National Championships in the 90s we either barely got beat or won (sometimes by a whole lot *cough* Forida) and that was supposed to be against 'the best team in the nation'. I just don't think we've ever gotten any respect. But yes, we've fallen back a lot. And in my opinion, I think the north is very weak, at least right now. I mean look at it this way...

North (Historically, Past 10 years)

Iowa State - Never really done much of anything
Kansas State - Puhhhhlease
NU - Decent Program
Kansas - Puhhhhlease again
CU - Decent Program (Once they start clicking)
Mizz - Decent Program

Historically in the last decade we haven't done squat...any of us

1st post, long time viewer. Love the latitude given on this board. Callahan is under NO PRESSURE. Any comparison to Solich is ridiculous. As much as other teams may wish Solich was still here, it ain't happening. CAlly & crew are here for the long term and most couldn't be happier. Anyone that says a balanced offense can't work in the midwest really needs to look back to the 70'S(still under Ozzie). The ONLY reason for the switch to the option was to better compete with OU.

No offense, but when the North Teams handle NU like they did the last 4 years, it is apparent the talent is low. I'm really not sure why, but Callahan has caused Big Twelve teams some personal grief for no real reason. I can see OU being a little pissed but he generally keeps his mouth shut and doesn't dis anyone. Any insight as to why this is?

By the way. The AD just got a 5yr extension so Cally DEFINITELY isn't going anywhere?

Also, When you guys handled us a couple years in a row, I'm pretty sure we weren't saying...hey, Barney has to go...his talent and coaching suck. I think we were saying...hey, Solich is TRENDING downward, we need a change to catch up...and we did.

Steve Pederson just got an extension until the year 2013. For those of you who don't know, Stevie-P is the AD. He hired Callahan. From an objective point of view, I think that Callahan will not be on the hot seat because Callahan is Stevie's boy. Unless Billy C really screws something up, I think he's in.

From my point of view, I think Billy C is doing a tremendous job. he is bringing in absolutely top notch talent. I couldn't be happier with the level of talent he is bringing into NU. He is an absolute accountant and is pretty much a genius when it comes to X's and O's. The only real drawbacks I see with him are that he sometimes lets his temper get the best of him, (F-in hillbillies, and pri madonnas can go to K-State) and that it seems like he may not be too terribly good at making in game adjustments.

All in all, I think the jury is still out on how good he really is. I certainly have his back all the way. I named my puppy Billy C.

I don't think that Cally is on the hot seat this year because he is still doing better and better each year. Is it slowly getting better.................yes. Sure we would like for it to go faster, but when you go from an option team to a WCO you guys and gals know as well as me that is a HUGE change. It's taking some time to get his recruits in here, but he is getting them here. I think anything short of a Big XII Championship is a disappointment this season, but again that's just my feeling. I question his playcalling sometimes, but by no means am I a football calling genius. If I was I wouldn't do what I do that's for sure. Three season's ago we have a losing season, two seasons ago we go to the Alamo Bowl and beat Michigan, last season we get a trip to the Big XII Championship, but lose and then get a bid to the Cotton Bowl against Auburn. This season............................you can see the trend so the next obvious step is a Big XII Championship..........................do you think I'm asking for too much? :smile2:

As for Cally being on the hot seat? ....the simple answer is, not under this AD, Smiley Stevie Pete knows he is connected at the hip with BC for better or worse now and the only thing they can do is to make this work to save their own skins IMO.
I like Cally as a man (I may be in the minority here) he has had a very tough job, to retool NU's O into the new millennium was no small task and he did not have much to do it with. NU had good quality kids on D but on O it was very thin. IMO BC needs another B12N title and play in the CCG again. There are still many unanswered questions about BC's game calling ability and halftime adjustments that concern me more than the W's and L's right now, he can sustain losses to SC, UT and maybe another 1 or 2 then lose in the CCG without being on the hot seat as long as the losses are respectable and NU gets beat by talent and not poor decisions from the skybox and sideline.

I think he is a hell of a recruiter, very organized and a hard worker.... but this is a watershed year, and if Cally comes out looking weak between the ears it is bad news for him and Stevie Pete. There is still a faction of VIP's that have yet to give him the open arms treatment. TO may even be working against him IMO keeping the pot stirred up in subversive ways, using former players as pawns (although I think he is trying to get at Stevie Pete more than Cally).

How the worm doth turn.... :cool:

Thought it would be interesting to take a stroll down memory lane to what our resident Fuskers had to say when Cally and Pedey got their extensions. As much as it pains me to do it :smile2:, I have to give big props to WVS for his comments back in July. Maybe the guy does have a clue after all... :lol:

Interesting how things can change in a few months. Three months ago, most fuskers here seemed pretty happy with the Cally and Pedey extensions. 6 months ago, Rockies fans here (myself included) were pissed about Hurdle's extension, and some were equally pissed about O'Dowd getting extended as well. Now? Most fusker fans are leading the parade taking Cally and Pedey to the gallows, and Rockies fans are certainly not bitching about Hurdle and O'Dowd having those contract extensions this week... Just goes to show, ya just never know.... :huh:

Thought it would be interesting to take a stroll down memory lane to what our resident Fuskers had to say when Cally and Pedey got their extensions. As much as it pains me to do it :smile2:, I have to give big props to WVS for his comments back in July. Maybe the guy does have a clue after all... :lol:

Interesting how things can change in a few months. Three months ago, most fuskers here seemed pretty happy with the Cally and Pedey extensions. 6 months ago, Rockies fans here (myself included) were pissed about Hurdle's extension, and some were equally pissed about O'Dowd getting extended as well. Now? Most fusker fans are leading the parade taking Cally and Pedey to the gallows, and Rockies fans are certainly not bitching about Hurdle and O'Dowd having those contract extensions this week... Just goes to show, ya just never know.... :huh:

That is very cool to read, thanks for digging hoss. Looks like we know which way the water is flowing. I saw a clip of Cally from after the OSU game where they asked him if he feared for his job (which is a bull**** question to ask) and it was not his answer that pissed me off. It was his off the cuff tone/denial like when the throatslash occurred. that smug look, snarl. he had done a very good job of controlling that for the last 2 years but it was back in a heartbeat, my skin crawled. I like BC, he needs to at minimum step aside as OC and just steer the ship, revamp the staff (he may have no choice now).... mark it down, IT IS HIS ONLY CHANCE TO STAY AT NU. There will be a blood letting very soon and if he survives it he will need to be a HC only. He runs a clean program, he recruits well, he is organized but HE IS NOT A GOOD GAME TIME COACH. This should have been a break out year on O for sure and it is not happening, period. He changes or he goes and I hear he said recently he will not ask for any staff member to resign (in fairness to him that was before 4 pm today) IF he holds to that he signs his own walking papers.

I like BC, he needs to at minimum step aside as OC and just steer the ship, revamp the staff (he may have no choice now).... mark it down, IT IS HIS ONLY CHANCE TO STAY AT NU.

You realize that if he does that, you'll have captain von booger shortbus shawn watson running the offense in fuskerville, right?

I really don't think you want that. But by all means, go right ahead.

You realize that if he does that, you'll have captain von booger shortbus shawn watson running the offense in fuskerville, right?

I really don't think you want that. But by all means, go right ahead.

Not if TO says we are going to the revamped veer or whatever they call it these days, Watson could be part of what changes. Optimistic grant you but possible.

Not if TO says we are going to the revamped veer or whatever they call it these days, Watson could be part of what changes. Optimistic grant you but possible.

So your interim AD is now dictating what kind of offense your football team is going to run. :huh:

So your interim AD is now dictating what kind of offense your football team is going to run. :huh:
There is not an interim AD but if his initials become TO believe me there may be a change or "an offer Cally can't refuse". It happened to FS when SP came aboard and it was working (I still would have fired him) and yes I think if the IAD is TO the WCO might get a veer feel to it quickly (next year) in blocking schemes and running plays. If Cally digs in his heels he will disappear.

I was happy with Callahan before the season, but I have never been happy with Pedey. I don't think anyone in Husker land could have predicted this type of meltdown for this season. Given the talent we have on this team and how he destroyed it, along with his assistants, it was in no way predictable. **** him and Pedey!!!! :lol:

Waylon, wouldnt you be a little worried about installing an offense becuase its the latest fad? it seems in football the people that define a shift in offensive strategy win and win titles. People who follow trends tend to win for a while but they dont win titles, given that wouldnt you be a little afraid of just jumping on the newest offensive trend/fad?

EX: spread, run and shoot, WCO etc...

Waylon, wouldnt you be a little worried about installing an offense becuase its the latest fad? it seems in football the people that define a shift in offensive strategy win and win titles. People who follow trends tend to win for a while but they dont win titles, given that wouldnt you be a little afraid of just jumping on the newest offensive trend/fad?

Screw it then let's go back to the option. :smile2:We'll be trend setters again. :thumbsup:

All I know is the WCO does not "take what it wants"..... How is the veer a fad? it was the original O was it not? has it ever gone away totally? NU's old triple option was part veer. The wishbone the same. When I see WVU it looks like a balance of WCO and the TO option game. some of the plays look like old films of Army.... IMO it is more of a full circle thing than a fad. I bet if you ask Urban Myer or Hawk they would say the principles of their O have been in CFB forever. Maybe we are splitting hairs.... I dont see NU even if FS was reinstated running the Power I anymore. The WCO has limits, option FB is coming back, just in a modified way IMO. I like watching WVU and UF, it is fun, looks like fun for the players... we will see.

Thats a fair assessment of the entire situation I do think the WCO still has its place but I think the pure form of any offense is a bad idea pulling aspects from each as you mentioned key to success.

Back