What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How big was this win?

It was huge, BUT, it didn't happen at a time when everybody was watching. It would have been a much bigger deal had it happened in the tournament. As it stands, most folks don't pay much attention to regular season non-conference basketball games. So while it's huge for the program and for CU fans, it won't do much outside of that, I'm afraid. Maybe I'm wrong.

I think it's somewhere in between. It didn't have to be in the tournament but it certainly would've been much more high-profile if it had happened in February. Yesterday was CCG day in college football and the NFL is in the stretch run, so except for the hardcore college b-ball fans most people haven't turned their full attention to college b-ball yet.

I think it's somewhere in between. It didn't have to be in the tournament but it certainly would've been much more high-profile if it had happened in February. Yesterday was CCG day in college football and the NFL is in the stretch run, so except for the hardcore college b-ball fans most people haven't turned their full attention to college b-ball yet.
Yep agreed, I think most people don't turn their attention for the most part to cbb until after cfb is over, maybe even the NFL. I've said this before, but the Super Bowl until March Madness is the driest period on the sports calender. NBA/NHL seasons haven't heated up. NFL is over. Baseball hasn't begun or just in ST.

Just got back from the broncos game. Got so many comments on my hat about the game. The cu fight song even broke out in the bathroom one time. Yes we were all intoxicated

It was huge, BUT, it didn't happen at a time when everybody was watching. It would have been a much bigger deal had it happened in the tournament. As it stands, most folks don't pay much attention to regular season non-conference basketball games. So while it's huge for the program and for CU fans, it won't do much outside of that, I'm afraid. Maybe I'm wrong.

It was the wrong week for it to get maximum coverage, with all of the Conference Championship games. It's a nice resume building win come tournament time. Hopefully, one of many.

Correct me, because my memory probably isn't that solid on this... but the last time we were ranked, didn't we go and lose the next game and not sniff T25 again?

Correct me, because my memory probably isn't that solid on this... but the last time we were ranked, didn't we go and lose the next game and not sniff T25 again?

Dude why?

Yes it was versus Wyoming last season.

Wasn't the next game, but shortly after. CU beat Texas Southern (barely) and Air Force, and then lost to Wyoming. Getting ranked is a big deal; staying ranked is the hard part.

What do you think we will be ranked (if we are)?

Villanova jumped from #38 to #14 when they beat #2 Kansas and #24 Iowa on a neutral court. They were also undefeated.

We were #37 coming into this week. We won at an unranked CSU and at home against #6 Kansas. We also have the 1 neutral site loss to last week's #20 Baylor who beat #3 Kentucky on a neutral court.

Using 'Nove as the upper limit, we could jump all the way to #13.

More realistically given that there's more stability with every week that's in the books and that we have a loss, I'd split the difference and guess that we jump up 12 spots instead of the 24 they did.

I'll guess we come in at #25.

I'm not going to rank it compared to others but it is huge not only because we beat at top 10 big name program but that it wasn't a fluke that we did it. This wasn't a game we won because they had a terrible day or were missing two starters or any of a number of other reasons. Both teams went out to play and we won.

To me it is huge because it doesn't stand alone. This isn't the game taht we spend the year talking about wishing it could be the norm. Instead it is a game that we look at as how it impacts the rest of the season, what it means for our tourney seeding, how top recruits look at it, etc.

Mainly it is big because while it is an upset in the eyes of most people it isn't a shock, it isn't a miracle, it isn't a once in a decade fluke. Instead it is part of the growth of a program. And that makes it much more important that a lot of the "shocking" wins we have had in the past history of the program.

It was the wrong week for it to get maximum coverage, with all of the Conference Championship games. It's a nice resume building win come tournament time. Hopefully, one of many.
If this game were next week, I think it would've received much more play and certainly on a random Wed night. But who knows, they work with ESPN and this might've been the best time slot for them. Whatever, I'll take it. Do I wish we could've led off SC, of course. But this means a lot to long-time Buffs basketball fans like myself. And I realize by longtime(2004), I know many have been following them for much longer.

Wasn't the next game, but shortly after. CU beat Texas Southern (barely) and Air Force, and then lost to Wyoming. Getting ranked is a big deal; staying ranked is the hard part.
Don't really care about just getting ranked, we've been there. Once we get into the top 20, that will be bigger. But I still just want to keep winning.

Villanova jumped from #38 to #14 when they beat #2 Kansas and #24 Iowa on a neutral court. They were also undefeated.

We were #37 coming into this week. We won at an unranked CSU and at home against #6 Kansas. We also have the 1 neutral site loss to last week's #20 Baylor who beat #3 Kentucky on a neutral court.

Using 'Nove as the upper limit, we could jump all the way to #13.

More realistically given that there's more stability with every week that's in the books and that we have a loss, I'd split the difference and guess that we jump up 12 spots instead of the 24 they did.

I'll guess we come in at #25.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/rankings/top25 I think this was already posted but this guy has us all the way up at #13. I am going to go with #20.

Don't really care about just getting ranked, we've been there. Once we get into the top 20, that will be bigger. But I still just want to keep winning.

Can't disagree more. Being ranked is huge for exposure. When they show the top 25 ticker, they see Colorado. When they go online to see scores, Colorado is displayed prominently. Our highlights against good teams are on ESPN and our games are picked up for a national TV audience. If Arizona and Colorado are both ranked, it will be hard for game day to not come here.

There is a lot of great exposure that comes with being ranked and I want it.

Can't disagree more. Being ranked is huge for exposure. When they show the top 25 ticker, they see Colorado. When they go online to see scores, Colorado is displayed prominently. Our highlights against good teams are on ESPN and our games are picked up for a national TV audience. If Arizona and Colorado are both ranked, it will be hard for game day to not come here.

There is a lot of great exposure that comes with being ranked and I want it.
Yeah it's great and all, from a personal standpoint I don't really care. For those who are more casual fans and not so familiar with the program, they care more than I do. Sure being in the top 25 is nice, but if were there and fall out of it right away, like last year it doesn't do much for me.

It's college basketball, most of the schedule is done ahead of time with GameDay being an exception.

Yeah it's great and all, from a personal standpoint I don't really care. For those who are more casual fans and not so familiar with the program, they care more than I do. Sure being in the top 25 is nice, but if were there and fall out of it right away, like last year it doesn't do much for me.

It's college basketball, most of the schedule is done ahead of time with GameDay being an exception.

It is big from the national awareness standpoint.

For those of us who follow it closely, all we're going to care about is the RPI rank and the Pac-12 standings.

It is big from the national awareness standpoint.

For those of us who follow it closely, all we're going to care about is the RPI rank and the Pac-12 standings.
I mean I'd rather be ranked than not ranked, but I'm going to be blowing up my wall with "we're ranked." Hope that clarifies where I'm coming from. We make it to the top 15, I'll get excited.

I mean I'd rather be ranked than not ranked, but I'm going to be blowing up my wall with "we're ranked." Hope that clarifies where I'm coming from. We make it to the top 15, I'll get excited.

I hear you. My main motivation for wanting to be ranked is so that when I go to the college football scoreboards I don't have to click an extra time to get to all of NCAA D1 from the Top 25 scores that automatically pops us.

I hear you. My main motivation for wanting to be ranked is so that when I go to the college football scoreboards I don't have to click an extra time to get to all of NCAA D1 from the Top 25 scores that automatically pops us.
Hadn't thought about that, but there's definitely that. I noticed CU has been left SC many times, moreso in basketball. And if were ranked they're atleast showing some highlight, as small as it maybe.

Being ranked is massive for exposure, those that say it doesn't matter are wayyyy off the mark. I think we come in around 23-25.

There is some extra exposure on the various sports networks score banners. If you're ranked, you are showing up in their Top 25 category and being displayed more frequently. For example, espin will show the T25 scores every time, but may break other games into 2 or 3 groups that will rotate and be shown less frequently.

re: bolded word above .... a bit premature Nik

Back