What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How big was this win?

Yeah it's great and all, from a personal standpoint I don't really care. For those who are more casual fans and not so familiar with the program, they care more than I do. Sure being in the top 25 is nice, but if were there and fall out of it right away, like last year it doesn't do much for me.

I agree that staying in is the most important part. It's the next step the program needs to take. Being in the top 25, throughout Conference play would be huge for the program and the attention they get nationally.

I agree that staying in is the most important part. It's the next step the program needs to take. Being in the top 25, throughout Conference play would be huge for the program and the attention they get nationally.
Yep I agree with this, whats the longest we've been in the top 25 in consecutive weeks?

I wonder how much difference it makes in the mind of the committee in seeding if a team has been in the top 25 all year. I know it is supposed to be based on qualitative factors but ultimately when they have to pick one team over a couple of other having seen a team ranked much of the year can't hurt.

Now it's time to get past just being happy to be in the tourney and get ourselves out of that 6-11 seeding grind that usually results in a very tough second round matchup. Make it much easier to play ourselves into the second weekend of the tourney.

I wonder how much difference it makes in the mind of the committee in seeding if a team has been in the top 25 all year. I know it is supposed to be based on qualitative factors but ultimately when they have to pick one team over a couple of other having seen a team ranked much of the year can't hurt.

Now it's time to get past just being happy to be in the tourney and get ourselves out of that 6-11 seeding grind that usually results in a very tough second round matchup. Make it much easier to play ourselves into the second weekend of the tourney.

I'd guess that someone has analyzed this, but my impression is that NCAA seeding has about zero to do with the AP poll.

For example, if the season ended today we would likely get a 3 seed from the committee despite being unranked.

2011 we should've been there. 2012 given how we played into the tourney, we were happy to just be there. 2013 not exactly an achievement to make it, but still a good result. 2014... we expect it, not just making it but atleast a single digit seed, hopefully outside of 7-10 now. Not going to get too greedy, since we've never been higher than a 10 since I've been following them.

Does anyone else think Oregon being in the top 25 helped them make the dance last year despite their poor rpi and bad resume?

Does anyone else think Oregon being in the top 25 helped them make the dance last year despite their poor rpi and bad resume?

It certainly can't hurt if you establish your name during the season to get the benefit of the doubt.

They won the Pac-12 tournament to get the auto-bid and still had the seed they did. It appears they were on the wrong side of the bubble if UCLA had beaten them.

They won the Pac-12 tournament to get the auto-bid and still had the seed they did. It appears they were on the wrong side of the bubble if UCLA had beaten them.

A better example might be Illinois getting a 7 seed. Illini completely fell off but a lot of early hype until January may have led to a perception that they were better than they were.

Yep I agree with this, whats the longest we've been in the top 25 in consecutive weeks?

The longest that I remember is January 1997-to the final ranking of that year. I'm sure they've had longer stretches back in the 50's and 60's, but I'm not enough of a CU basketball historian to know how long those stretches were. Do think if CU got in the Top 25, and stayed in for the duration of the season, that would be the longest they've been in the rankings since at least the 1960's

Also helps in recruiting. Every coach gives the "we're making great strides" or "we're a program on the rise", but when you can say "we're ranked whatever the number is" then I feel like the feeling is there that the program is ACTUALLY getting there. I know that sounded stupid, but I don't know how else to say it. Having an official ranking gives us an advantage over at least 326 other Division I schools. You hear it, you see it, you know something special is going on in Boulder, Colorado.

I'm going out on a limb and guessing we're 18. Probably a little high, but between Baylor's big win and our win, there should be a major jump.

CU in the AP top 25:

11/26/12: 19
11/19/12: 23

1997 Final: 24
3/4/97: 18
2/25/97: 19
2/18/97: 21
2/11/97: 15
2/4/97: 15
1/28/97: 18
1/21/97: 18

12/30/69: 20
12/16/69: 16
12/9/69: 17
1969 Preseason: 10

1969 Final: 18
2/18/69: 18
2/11/69: 14
2/4/69: 20
1/28/69: 17
1/21/69: 17
1/14/69: 20

1963 Final: 10
2/12/63: 7
2/5/63: 7
1/29/63: 8
12/18/62: 6
12/11/62: 8

1962 Final: 9
2/27/62: 9
2/20/62: 9

12/20/60: 15

1955 Final: 15

12/23/52: 18

We also were ranked 25 in the a Coaches Poll on 1/30/2006 and 2/6/2006

This is also a big win because in February and March when media type folks are talking about the merits of this Colorado team, this game will be dicscussed. It's a big win when a December game is still being mentioned on a national level in February and March.

It was the wrong week for it to get maximum coverage, with all of the Conference Championship games. It's a nice resume building win come tournament time. Hopefully, one of many.
rammies making something called the New Mexico Bowl got more play.

If we enter the OSU game ranked, the game should get some pretty good exposure.

If we enter the OSU game ranked, the game should get some pretty good exposure.
One thing I wish there was more of in college basketball is flex scheduling. Some hate it in college football, as you don't know what time a game is usually until 6 days to 2 weeks beforehand, but it's great for TV. A lot of those Pac-12 Network games could get flexed out. That said, if some can't miss national game is on the Pac-12 Network, that might be a good thing in the long term. Look at ESPN 2, the network got bigger partially as a result of airing Duke-UNC, since not many got it, they called their cable provider to complain.

It was a great win in the middle of the most important time in college football...we got our 15 minutes out of it, but it will have BIG ramifications come selection time.

The DC had several mentions in one column about the possible effect on donors. Elway and several (unnamed) deep pockets were with Rick George at the game and visited the locker room following the game. I hope this win leads to some financial support too!

Does anyone know if Elway met with the football recruits on site? Obviously, as a Stanford grad he may not care, but it seems he's been showing up for most of the big home games in either football or basketball lately.

The DC had several mentions in one column about the possible effect on donors. Elway and several (unnamed) deep pockets were with Rick George at the game and visited the locker room following the game. I hope this win leads to some financial support too!

Does anyone know if Elway met with the football recruits on site? Obviously, as a Stanford grad he may not care, but it seems he's been showing up for most of the big home games in either football or basketball lately.
I'm really not sure how connected he is to Stanford at this point. I know he got his number retired. I'm sure he roots for them. I'm sure in basketball, he's rooting for us against anyone but Stanford. It can only help to have John Elway's presence at games IMO. He's the best athlete every connected with sports in the state of Colorado. He's the first (and arguably) only no-brainer in those "Mount Rushmore" of Colorado lists.

rammies making something called the New Mexico Bowl got more play.

Maybe in WEST Arvada......little noise elsewhere in the real world!

You see the front page of the Dever ComPost Sports section Sunday? #1 in Saturday's ESPN Sports Center's Top 10 plays of the day, as well as countless replays on all Sport Centers all weekend.

Maybe in WEST Arvada......little noise elsewhere in the real world!

You see the front page of the Dever ComPost Sports section Sunday? #1 in Saturday's ESPN Sports Center's Top 10 plays of the day, as well as countless replays on all Sport Centers all weekend.
They showed like 15 seconds of highlights, and it was mostly (if not all) within the last 10 seconds past the halfway mark on SC. It was an obvious #1 SC Top 10 do to the dramatic value but also because nothing in the football games stood out.

If this had taken place on a random Wed or even next Sat it would've gotten much more play. More than happy to win this game however.

Back