What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How I think this all plays out

I agree, there is an opportunity to inject some excitement and really push for CU fan season ticket renewals ahead of a great home slate of games next year.

My fear is that they know those games are going to be sellouts no matter what, though, and I'm thinking that all Nebraska tickets will only be part of season ticket packages, so they know they are going to make their money whether Dorrell is still coaching or not.
This.

They will only sell a minimal nunber of single game CSU or Nub game tickets.

To get those tickets, you will have to buy a 3 game package at a minimum.

Which will keep the "tickets sold" number artificially high next year.

Concessions / butts in seats will take a massive hit in the other home games though.

RG has tied KD to the wheel and himself to mast, and they're going to ride the ship down together.

PD ain't going to do nothing about it either.

The only way something happens this year is if Saliman or the regents force it.

There's a good chance we're looking at two winless seasons in a row.

The G5 move isn't happening. CU will wind up in the Big 12 because I think its going to be the power 5 leftovers conference when all this is done. For as bad as CU has been, it still brings the Denver market to the table from a college sports perspective in a way little brother does not.

CU has a source to buyout KD-its called next year's schedule. The Nubs are back. CSU is back. USC is back one last time. You want a new coach people can get behind in place.
I don't disagree with you at all. I never said I agreed with anything about moving to G5 or that CU won't get an invite to the big 12. If the AD believes next years schedule can pay for KD, a new coach, and the loan payments for the $18mil deficit in 2021...great. As Patebuff said, if they do it right its certainly possible.

And at the time, maybe the thought was that the AD can take on the loan, forego a % of the media rights payouts for the next however many years, and then the new media deal, thinking it would include USC and UCLA at the time, would kick in and soften the blow of the loan, while the University didn't miss a beat.

Hopefully, our new President sees that the AD is important and the entire media rights landscape has completely shifted since 2020, and that the school needs to help out a bit now just like every other University did during 2020.

Probably wishful thinking, but again we are talking about ~$10m total, that is probably very easily made up over the next 1-2 years with season ticket renewals, concession, merch and donations that would likely come with a reinvigorated fan base due to a good coaching hire.
Bold of you to assume the coaching hire would be good.

This.

They will only sell a minimal nunber of single game CSU or Nub game tickets.

To get those tickets, you will have to buy a 3 game package at a minimum.

Which will keep the "tickets sold" number artificially high next year.

Concessions / butts in seats will take a massive hit in the other home games though.

RG has tied KD to the wheel and himself to mast, and they're going to ride the ship down together.

PD ain't going to do nothing about it either.

The only way something happens this year is if Saliman or the regents force it.

There's a good chance we're looking at two winless seasons in a row.
The UCLA game was my last. At least until I am convinced there is an institutional desire to succeed. My first indication will be when Dr. Phil, RG and LC are FIRED.

The UCLA game was my last. At least until I am convinced there is an institutional desire to succeed. My first indication will be when Dr. Phil, RG and LC are FIRED.
Yeah, but some nub is going to buy a 3 game package next year so he can come to paradise and watch big red.

if you only went to one game this year that's net +2 for next year already.

There are very few, if any, hires right now that wouldn’t get the fan base excited, but I get your point. The hope is that if they are going to pay the money to get rid of KD, they are doing so with the intention of making the best possible hire and getting it right
What they’ll do is hire a guy they think is good and then go back to pretending they don’t have a football program.

No one said CU is leaving the PAC for G5. What I said it that the AD doesn't believe the PAC will survive nor that the B12 will extend an invite. If they turn out to be correct...please explain to me what other option CU has? At no point did I say they would turn down an invite to the B12 if they got one, only that there are people who would rather move down.

Independence, our own network TV deal, paint Jesus on the side of Norlin Library.

Just the fact that Harsin can be pulled out of his house at night and led to the guillotine 24/7 makes it a massively safe bet where Karl seems to be enjoying 60-90 day notification protection like he’s a tenant
Harsin was one fluke play in OT away from getting fired Sunday. They’re home dogs against LSU and gonna get blasted in Athens the following week. IMO, Dorrell lasts at least through this season.

This is what I'm saying. I'd take almost any odds if it's the field vs KD on who gets fired first.
CU shats the bed against ua to continue being winless, then i think they will make the move headed to the bye week. ... especially if it is as ugly as we think it may be.

i'm figuring CU wins this weekend and the geniuses pat themselves on the back for their wisdom and patience until they are utterly shocked at how the rest of the season goes.

i mean, ****, have we not all seen enough? there is no there, there. this isn't working. slip out the back, jack. make a new plan, stan.

cough, sputter, sputter, cough.

i hate everything.

The new QB bought Dorell a few games. Leadership is too confused/ scared/ unprepared to make a move.
If they were smart, they'd already have a short list of HC candidates. They don't and they'll flounder in a coaching search.

CU shats the bed against ua to continue being winless, then i think they will make the move headed to the bye week. ... especially if it is as ugly as we think it may be.

i'm figuring CU wins this weekend and the geniuses pat themselves on the back for their wisdom and patience until they are utterly shocked at how the rest of the season goes.

i mean, ****, have we not all seen enough? there is no there, there. this isn't working. slip out the back, jack. make a new plan, stan.

cough, sputter, sputter, cough.

i hate everything.
What's considered an ugly loss for CU ?
Lose by 24+ points ? 20 points ?

Sarkisian might be available at the end of the year.

I have a buddy who works with someone close to one of the big boosters from West Texas; you know the oil tycoon type.
There's been some small whispers amongst themselves that a handful of the big money guys really, really want Urban Meyer at Texas. Especially with the move to the SEC and all that. The apparent thought is that they'd prefer to wait a year, until Herman is completely paid off and try to grab Urban next year but the sentiment that he might take another job before that could really fast forward the process. I have no idea how much of a reality Urban to Nebraska is, I don't think he'd take that job, but who knows. Also, would Notre Dame move on from Marcus Freeman after a year and try to nab Urban for his 'dream' job? All of this stuff will surely play a role into what Texas decides to do. Sark is definitely feeling a LOT of heat from the inner circle of rich guys at Texas though.

Take it with a grain of salt surely but I wonder if all the right things fell into place, would Sark consider Colorado again? Or would Colorado, given our dumpster fire of leadership, even consider him again?

Sarkisian might be available at the end of the year.

I have a buddy who works with someone close to one of the big boosters from West Texas; you know the oil tycoon type.
There's been some small whispers amongst themselves that a handful of the big money guys really, really want Urban Meyer at Texas. Especially with the move to the SEC and all that. The apparent thought is that they'd prefer to wait a year, until Herman is completely paid off and try to grab Urban next year but the sentiment that he might take another job before that could really fast forward the process. I have no idea how much of a reality Urban to Nebraska is, I don't think he'd take that job, but who knows. Also, would Notre Dame move on from Marcus Freeman after a year and try to nab Urban for his 'dream' job? All of this stuff will surely play a role into what Texas decides to do. Sark is definitely feeling a LOT of heat from the inner circle of rich guys at Texas though.

Take it with a grain of salt surely but I wonder if all the right things fell into place, would Sark consider Colorado again? Or would Colorado, given our dumpster fire of leadership, even consider him again?
I’m pretty sure Sark is a non-starter. He makes an average of about $5.5M a year and I think his contract was fully guaranteed (Texas can afford to do stuff like that, RG does it…because). So assuming it has typical offset provisions CU can’t pay him more than he’d make not coaching Texas.

I know we’d all love to think he’d work for a $1 salary since Texas is paying him $5-6M anyway and we can reallocate the funds we would have paid the HC to assistants or an NIL fund but I don’t think that’s realistic.

I’m pretty sure Sark is a non-starter. He makes an average of about $5.5M a year and I think his contract was fully guaranteed (Texas can afford to do stuff like that, RG does it…because). So assuming it has typical offset provisions CU can’t pay him more than he’d make not coaching Texas.

I know we’d all love to think he’d work for a $1 salary since Texas is paying him $5-6M anyway and we can reallocate the funds we would have paid the HC to assistants or an NIL fund but I don’t think that’s realistic.
No chance he comes to CU. Will take over for O’Brien at bama ones he’s hired elsewhere this off-season

Urban’s dream job was once Notre Dame but that was before “little Urbie” took control of his decision making. Nebraska deserves this guy.

Sark isn’t happening but I don’t think any job offsets the entirety of what Texas owes him. If he makes $5.5m/year and CU were to pay $4m/year, I was under the impression Texas still owed him $1.5m. Maybe I’m wrong on that

Back