What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How I think this all plays out

Sark isn’t happening but I don’t think any job offsets the entirety of what Texas owes him. If he makes $5.5m/year and CU were to pay $4m/year, I was under the impression Texas still owed him $1.5m. Maybe I’m wrong on that
Right what I’m saying is if he’s making $5.5M regardless he might prefer not coaching or doing TV for a year over taking the CU job which could completely torpedo his career.

Right what I’m saying is if he’s making $5.5M regardless he might prefer not coaching or doing TV for a year over taking the CU job which could completely torpedo his career.
Fair. Honestly, though, I think his career as a tier 1 or tier 2 program HC is likely over anyways, unless he somehow turns Texas around and convinces the boosters he deserves a third year with Arch.

Sark isn’t happening but I don’t think any job offsets the entirety of what Texas owes him. If he makes $5.5m/year and CU were to pay $4m/year, I was under the impression Texas still owed him $1.5m. Maybe I’m wrong on that
You're correct. I would take that a step further-the next HC won't have ties to Saban or Kirby Smart. CU won't go down that road this time after Saban tanked Sark's move to Boulder in 2020.

Frost is much worse than Kiffin.
Debatable. Frost took over an 0-12 UCF program and got them to 13-0 in 2 years. Lane had to deal with sanctions but still inherited a pretty talented roster from Carroll. I enjoy ripping all things Nebraska as much as anyone but Frost was about the hottest candidate in the country when he took the Nub job.

Sark does have experience taking over an 0-12 Pac12 team and turning them around. Let's get our hopes about the ultimate pipe dream: Sark comes to CU and brings Arch with him who wants to live near his uncle Peyton!

How This Plays Out: CU fires KD at some point. A few candidates turn the job down. Some more players portal out. The 3rd or 4th choice is hired.
Some portal players transfer in. Buffs beat CSU by 10 but lose to Nebraska by 14 next year. In 4 years CU finally goes .500 as a member of the B12.

Do you all think it’s possible that RG is actually working on finalizing our new coach behind the scenes? Maybe he really sees the problem here and is fixing it- waiting to announce KD leaving until he has a guy pretty much lined up?

This talk of Sark really gives some hope and I’d like to think CU has already reached out. The other person I think could turn us around is Bronco.

Do you all think it’s possible that RG is actually working on finalizing our new coach behind the scenes? Maybe he really sees the problem here and is fixing it- waiting to announce KD leaving until he has a guy pretty much lined up?

This talk of Sark really gives some hope and I’d like to think CU has already reached out. The other person I think could turn us around is Bronco.
No, I don’t think RG is putting feelers out to a HC currently employed elsewhere. I know we want immediate action but honestly if KD is let go during the season, there isn’t (and shouldn’t be) a huge rush to replace him. A mid season hire eliminates any P5, G5 HC or assistant currently employed so unless someone like Herman or Bronco are your #1 target and you’ve got them lined up and are willing to pay them to basically assemble a staff while an interim runs the team for the remainder of the season, I suspect a hire doesn’t happen until after this season ends.

No, I don’t think RG is putting feelers out to a HC currently employed elsewhere. I know we want immediate action but honestly if KD is let go during the season, there isn’t (and shouldn’t be) a huge rush to replace him. A mid season hire eliminates any P5, G5 HC or assistant currently employed so unless someone like Herman or Bronco are your #1 target and you’ve got them lined up and are willing to pay them to basically assemble a staff while an interim runs the team for the remainder of the season, I suspect a hire doesn’t happen until after this season ends.
Herman and Bronco should be our #1 and #2 targets, respectively.

Yep. If he's talking to anyone it would be candidates who are between HC gigs and not doing anything more than a media or "analyst" placeholder. Bronco, Herman, Mullen, Wells, etc.

Edit: I'd also assume that that profile or a coordinator would be our hiring pool. If there's a buyout, I can't imagine CU is willing to pay millions for that on top of everything else. And, frankly, I agree. No reason to spend millions extra to poach someone's HC.

I think he's trying to work on how he's going to buy out Dorrell right now.

Herman and Bronco should be our #1 and #2 targets, respectively.
Maybe but should we eliminate P5 coordinators from consideration entirely? Because that’s what you’re doing if you’re trying to hire mid-season. I’d prefer to cast a pretty wide net and if that reaffirms your desire to go with Herman or Bronco all the better.

Now while I don’t think there should be a big rush to start the hiring process if it happens mid season, once the process starts and you’re talking to candidates CU needs to be deliberate and move very quickly - like waaaaaay faster than CU typically moves on these sort of things. If Saliman can help grease the wheels better than his predecessors then that will be one positive move from his administration.

I think he's trying to work on how he's going to buy out Dorrell right now.
I would suggest that he offer KD the retirement option on the buyout, give him the whole buyout plus a few mil more, but pay it out over the next 20 years. Keep it a little less than $1 mil per year and it will be hardly noticeable. Sometime in the future you could pay out the remainder to just clear the books of this disaster.

I would suggest that he offer KD the retirement option on the buyout, give him the whole buyout plus a few mil more, but pay it out over the next 20 years. Keep it a little less than $1 mil per year and it will be hardly noticeable. Sometime in the future you could pay out the remainder to just clear the books of this disaster.
I'd tell him you can take $3-5M paid out over time with no offset.

Sounds great, but why would KD take any less than the present value of the contract? Unless CU is able to establish there is a risk of forfeiture (i.e., CU can reasonably claim that they have cause to terminate KD).

I'd tell him you can take $3-5M paid out over time with no offset.
He wouldn't accept that, still owed $7.8 plus the rest of this season which would be another $900,000. That would be $8.7 total through Jan. 2025. Give him a 3% interest rate on the present value of the contract ($8,140,207.90) and pay him over 10 years, your outlay per year would be $954280.70 per year, easily doable.

I wonder what the contract for a new coach will look like after this fiasco? It would make sense for a lesson to be learned and the next contract be incentive laden with specific buy out reductions, but would that actually deter a candidate who is actually qualified and has options? Oh the irony

I wonder what the contract for a new coach will look like after this fiasco? It would make sense for a lesson to be learned and the next contract be incentive laden with specific buy out reductions, but would that actually deter a candidate who is actually qualified and has options? Oh the irony

the contract offered makes no sense. There was no reason to do such a one sided contract at the time. They were offering KD another chance at being head coach- we didn’t steal him away from another school that was winning conference championships.

He wouldn't accept that, still owed $7.8 plus the rest of this season which would be another $900,000. That would be $8.7 total through Jan. 2025. Give him a 3% interest rate on the present value of the contract ($8,140,207.90) and pay him over 10 years, your outlay per year would be $954280.70 per year, easily doable.
Thanks, Rick.

Back