What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How much will the Defense miss the 8 NFL starters?

I really think if the O can start fast from game one, it'll give the D a chance to get it going. They need to get comfortable playing together.

If we are better than expected, it will be in large part due to Eliot being better than advertised.
I was referring to defensive back play after losing so many guys to the NFL. But agreed, the front 7 needs to perform for that to happen.

Worthington is the wildcard no one is talking about in the defensive backfield and I suspect he will be a breakout star this fall.

He had 3 starts before getting suspended but has gotten things turned around to get back onto the squad. He has a child now and seems to have matured significantly but has said he's watched what the other guys did and he has the same goals.

After spring, DJ Elliot mentioned Worthington as "a surprise".

This kid is big, fast, hits like a mother****r and sounds supremely motivated. 6'2" 210 and 4.5. Worthington, along with Fo, Mueller, Oliver, Julmisse/Blackmon/Udiaffia and this DB corp will not take as big a step back as many may think.

Worthington is the wildcard no one is talking about in the defensive backfield and I suspect he will be a breakout star this fall.

He had 3 starts before getting suspended but has gotten things turned around to get back onto the squad. He has a child now and seems to have matured significantly but has said he's watched what the other guys did and he has the same goals.

This kid is big, fast, hits like a mother****r and sounds supremely motivated. 6'2" 210 and 4.5. Worthington, along with Fo, Mueller, Oliver, Julmisse/Blackmon/Udiaffia and this DB corp will not take as big a step back as many may think.
MacIntyre said during Pac-12 media days that Evan would have been projected to start last year if he hadn't had his sabbatical from the team.

The other thing about having so many athletes in the secondary is that this usually means very good things for the special teams coverage units.

I heard he is actually closer to 4.3 speed.

Double negative from last year...WRs will make DBs better during practice.

E.G. How to defend the one hand grab at the cone.

When comparing last year to this year, I think it clouds the issue to consider Oliver, Moeller & Laguda because those guys had prominent roles on both teams. For those three, it's a push. Maybe it's more clear to compare the outgoing with only the incoming:

Chido vs Blackmon
Ahkello vs Julmisse
Tedric vs Fisher/Worthington
Olugbode vs. Lewis
Gilbert vs. Hasselbach?
Tupou vs Edwards
Kafavalo vs Coleman
Falo vs. McCartney

Those are based on the pre-camp depth chart. Apologies if I got anyone's position comparison wrong. I realize Ted vs. Fo would be more accurate but I wanted to capture all the new people.

Thoughts? Where do we upgrade vs downgrade?

If we are better than expected, it will be in large part due to Eliot being better than advertised.

Agreed. In addition to the plan of attack, I wonder how Eliot will match up in motivating his players. I found it very telling how the defensive players unanimously talked about how Leavitt's energy was noticeably missing from the bowl practices.

I think we have enough returning talent to effectively fill what we've lost imo, even if not as well.

When comparing last year to this year, I think it clouds the issue to consider Oliver, Moeller & Laguda because those guys had prominent roles on both teams. For those three, it's a push. Maybe it's more clear to compare the outgoing with only the incoming:

This does ignore that returning guys usually improve. '17 Afolabi should be better than '16 version, for example.

Last edited:
Agreed. In addition to the plan of attack, I wonder how Eliot will match up in motivating his players. I found it very telling how the defensive players unanimously talked about how Leavitt's energy was noticeably missing from the bowl practices.

Tend to agree, but that bowl had to be tough given Tumpkin knew he was going away and had destroyed his career, Clark was negotiating to leave his long time mentor, and HCMM was dealing with the victim's phone calls. Probably made it impossible for staff to make up for Leavitt loss.

Really think there will be some slight growing pains in the first few games, but that the cream will rise to the top by conference play and they'll be gelling. Obviously, there's going to be a slight drop-off talent wise, but not as much as people think. DB's are going to be a strength again with a little bit of playing together. I think the DL will surprise everyone. That leaves the LB position, which will be a huge question mark until they can prove otherwise. The players are there everywhere except LB.

I know what the question was in the initial post - but I am more concerned/uninformed about the coaching. I think the athletic talent is there, but the coaching losses are more intriguing to me.

I know what the question was in the initial post - but I am more concerned/uninformed about the coaching. I think the athletic talent is there, but the coaching losses are more intriguing to me.

Good point, the easy thing to point to if the defense takes a big step back will be the starters that were lost. We have the double whammy this year of new coaches (other than Jeffcoat) and a new system. The one thing that gives me hope for the secondary is that MacIntyre has always kept an eye on that position group, and helped coach the coaches as well as the kids.

Has there been any discussion from players on differences in the system they are running vs last year?

Not worried about losing tumpkin from a technical standpoint, that was the first time he coached defensive backs. However, I thought he did a great job teaching the safeties about offensive schemes and how to diagnose and that will be missed. TT always seemed like he was a page ahead of the offense last year and knew exactly what they were going to do

Not worried about losing tumpkin from a technical standpoint, that was the first time he coached defensive backs. However, I thought he did a great job teaching the safeties about offensive schemes and how to diagnose and that will be missed. TT always seemed like he was a page ahead of the offense last year and knew exactly what they were going to do
I don't think we lose a thing on x's and o's. Els and Eliot know the techniques and assignments to detail as well as JT and JL did. I'd also call it a wash in terms of game plan and scheme adjustments. Where we have questions are on play calling (JL had the feel) and on lighting a fire under the guys (both JL and JT were intense as hell on the sidelines & during practices, keeping guys fired up).

I don't think we lose a thing on x's and o's. Els and Eliot know the techniques and assignments to detail as well as JT and JL did. I'd also call it a wash in terms of game plan and scheme adjustments. Where we have questions are on play calling (JL had the feel) and on lighting a fire under the guys (both JL and JT were intense as hell on the sidelines & during practices, keeping guys fired up).
Yep.

I'm starting to see some talk that the leadership on this team is stronger than last year's. I'm hoping that helps with the intensity/lighting a fire side of things.

The narrative I see emerging is good defense in 2017 will be mostly due to MacIntyre, but bad defense will be mostly due to Eliot.

One point I saw on the Scout board that I hadn't considered regarding the DL... if the coaches didn't believe in the depth and were relying on fall practice competition to find guys they were confident in... they wouldn't have moved two DLs to offense in the spring.

I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised at the talent and depth of our DL this season.

One point I saw on the Scout board that I hadn't considered regarding the DL... if the coaches didn't believe in the depth and were relying on fall practice competition to find guys they were confident in... they wouldn't have moved two DLs to offense in the spring.

I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised at the talent and depth of our DL this season.

IMO if Javier can be on the field more often than not, our DL will be fine. That dude is big enough to do what Wilfork used to do, definition of a "Space Eater".

Back