What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

If UNLV gets its football stadium, should the Pac-12 add them?

Should the Pac add UNLV if it gets its stadium built?

• Total voters
Did the ACC roll in all its tier 3 media revenue rights when it did the ACCN deal with ESPN?
I actually didn't realize ACC was equal distribution on bowl and tourney money rather than by contribution. Thanks for quoting me or I wouldn't have looked it up. UT won't like that equality. But if they could keep their Tier 3 rights, they would listen.
I believe the Tier 3 rights went to ESPN four years ago, landing the games on ESPN3

I believe the Tier 3 rights went to ESPN four years ago, landing the games on ESPN3
Hmmm. I have to assume there's an "out" with that due to Notre Dame. Hard to imagine they would agree to only considering the ACC if that would mean it couldn't keep its special revenue streams. I'd always thought that the ACC structure is what landed them and had UT paying attention.

i've been thinking a bit more about unlv in the p12-- there are some obstacles, i think.

obviously, the academics aren't up to par in general and that will make the university presidents and even ADs nervous. if you are a p12 AD, do you want to add a new team with deep billionaire backers, a brand new nfl stadium, and fewer academic hurdles in recruiting?

i've been thinking a bit more about unlv in the p12-- there are some obstacles, i think.

obviously, the academics aren't up to par in general and that will make the university presidents and even ADs nervous. if you are a p12 AD, do you want to add a new team with deep billionaire backers, a brand new nfl stadium, and fewer academic hurdles in recruiting?

If you are a president of a college - no, no and no. Your head is too far up your own arse.

For the rest of humanity the answer is yes, yes and yes.

In a western state w/o a Pac team - check.
Easy airport with cheap flights - check.
Plenty of hotel rooms for visiting fans - check.
Gambling - check.
Near LA - check.

This thread really should be titled "If UNLV remains in Vegas, would the Pac-12 be crazy not to add them?"

If you are a president of a college - no, no and no. Your head is too far up your own arse.

For the rest of humanity the answer is yes, yes and yes.

In a western state w/o a Pac team - check.
Easy airport with cheap flights - check.
Plenty of hotel rooms for visiting fans - check.
Gambling - check.
Near LA - check.

This thread really should be titled "If UNLV remains in Vegas, would the Pac-12 be crazy not to add them?"

so, all the benefits you suggest above are good for (a) the fans and (b) the conference revenue and (c) unlv. but, are they good enough for the other members of the conference to possibly create a monster program that puts you at a competitive disadvantage? i'm not sure how it shakes out, but i am sure that your plusses are not the main considerations of the league presidents who must vote unlv in.

so, all the benefits you suggest above are good for (a) the fans and (b) the conference revenue and (c) unlv. but, are they good enough for the other members of the conference to possibly create a monster program that puts you at a competitive disadvantage? i'm not sure how it shakes out, but i am sure that your plusses are not the main considerations of the league presidents who must vote unlv in.
I think that the big question here is just that: does a team in Nevada dilute recruiting without adding anything? In terms of the risk of UNLV becoming good, that's the least of the concerns. Everyone would hope that they would. Doormats don't bring any value.

I concede it is a concern, but you shouldn't have the mindset that you don't want to add a school because they might get good. It's like not wanting to hire the best candidate because you think thy might leave eventually. Get the best person/school/location in and let the chips fall where they may.

Adding Las Vegas as an actual PAC 12 home destination isn't the worst idea ever. Branding is a good thing.

Adding Las Vegas as an actual PAC 12 home destination isn't the worst idea ever. Branding is a good thing.
And while basketball certainly doesn't drive realignment, there's no question that UNLV would be in the upper echelon for the Pac and raise our hoops prestige considerably on the national level. For national perception, they'd probably be #3 in the conference.

As I posted earlier, the All-Time AP Top 100 for basketball has:

#4 UCLA
#8 Arizona
#25 UNLV
#39 Utah
#40 Stanford
#50 USC
#52 Washington
#60 Oregon State
#66 Oregon
#77 Cal
#79 Arizona State
CU & Wazzu outside the Top 100
http://collegebasketball.ap.org/top-100

I think that's significant.

fwiw, New Mexico is #55, Houston is #56, BYU is #63, SMU is #86, and SDSU is #92. So UNM, UH and BYU enhance hoops prestige, but not like UNLV would. SMU & SDSU wouldn't hurt, but wouldn't move the needle.

I'm not a fan of adding UNLV. Football drives the revenue bus and I don't see UNLV ever being a significant draw locally or nationally.

Basketball does make a lot of sense. UNLV is a nationally respected name in MBB. I could see them becoming a regular top 10 type program given a major conference connection.

I've been going through CU offers and I'm starting to believe strongly that adding Houston (UNLV would be the good 2nd team) would be great for the Buffs on the recruiting front. If CU's paired rival became UH and we could promise games in Houston every other year, it would be huge for us. Utah would pair well with UNLV, too.

That new CSU stadium is starting to come together and they just started installing the new playing surface this week. Stadium size doesn't appear to be as big of an issue in the Pac-12 as it was in the Big 12. Oregon State's Reser Stadium was just 35k before they demo-ed one side of the stadium and rebuilt it.

The more we win, the better it will be for us. A rival might finally emerge because they will get tired of getting their behinds kicked by the mighty Buffaloes. If not, we might need to be ready to have CSU as a conference mate.

That new CSU stadium is starting to come together and they just started installing the new playing surface this week. Stadium size doesn't appear to be as big of an issue in the Pac-12 as it was in the Big 12. Oregon State's Reser Stadium was just 35k before they demo-ed one side of the stadium and rebuilt it.

The more we win, the better it will be for us. A rival might finally emerge because they will get tired of getting their behinds kicked by the mighty Buffaloes. If not, we might need to be ready to have CSU as a conference mate.
The ag school can't even grow their own grass...

And while basketball certainly doesn't drive realignment, there's no question that UNLV would be in the upper echelon for the Pac and raise our hoops prestige considerably on the national level. For national perception, they'd probably be #3 in the conference.

As I posted earlier, the All-Time AP Top 100 for basketball has:

#4 UCLA
#8 Arizona
#25 UNLV

I think that's significant.

That's not significant because Jerry Tarkanian has been dead for 2 years now.

Potential 1st mover toward 16-team conferences: ACC

ACC's in a unique position here because Notre Dame is making under $16M a year from its NBC deal. That deal going through 2025 is the main sticking point here so there would need to be some negotiation between ABC/ESPN and NBC in order to make it happen. But ND doesn't screw with a Grant-in-Rights agreement of a conference.

The big question for the ACC would be: who is the 2nd team? UConn or Cincinnati would be the easiest because they can leave the AAC without it causing a major upheaval. However, West Virginia might be the more attractive target for the conference. It's highly questionable that the ACC needs the Connecticut market when they've already got Syracuse and Boston College. I actually think Cincy makes the most sense due to being a traditional hoops power, Ohio recruiting grounds and population, decent strength in football in recent years, and being an excellent geographic bridge in the middle of the Louisville-South Bend-Pittsburgh triangle.

Last edited:

ACC's in a unique position here because Notre Dame is making under $16M a year from its NBC deal. That deal going through 2025 is the main sticking point here so there would need to be some negotiation between ABC/ESPN and NBC in order to make it happen. But ND doesn't screw with a Grant-in-Rights agreement of a conference.

The big question for the ACC would be: who is the 2nd team? UConn or Cincinnati would be the easiest because they can leave the AAC without it causing a major upheaval. However, West Virginia might be the more attractive target for the conference. It's highly questionable that the AAC needs the Connecticut market when they've already got Syracuse and Boston College. I actually think Cincy makes the most sense due to being a traditional hoops power, Ohio recruiting grounds and population, decent strength in football in recent years, and being an excellent geographic bridge in the middle of the Louisville-South Bend-Pittsburgh triangle.

Add UCF or SF to the mix. Miami and FSU may block that for the same reasons Duke, NC State, and UNC would block ECU.

That means, UConn and Cincy are the least objectionable teams available.

Who is the actual source on the ND rumors? Checking on it over the last few days, seems shaky at best.

I ask because the Reddit thread on the rumor seems to be implying there is nothing of substance to the rumors.

I ask because the Reddit thread on the rumor seems to be implying there is nothing of substance to the rumors.
One thing Brando said - and he's probably right - is that 12-1 trumps 11-1 in the new playoff selection setup. So the big domino to fall would be for a ND team to get left out at 11-1 when a 12-1 conference champ gets selected. Big 12 learned this lesson and added a completely superfluous conference championship game.

Have to hope for WVU to the ACC to kick this off.

WVU would have to have an interest in this from a standpoint of geography but it's hard to see the B12 letting them go without a fight or at least a poison pill financial penalty.

If WVU does get out it would certainly put the future of the B12 in greater doubt.

Funny that ND who everyone though was getting a windfall when they signed the NBC deal now finds themselves on the negative end financially.

Afraid though that @Duff Man is right, this smells like a bunch of clickbait for a columnist

WVU would have to have an interest in this from a standpoint of geography but it's hard to see the B12 letting them go without a fight or at least a poison pill financial penalty.

If WVU does get out it would certainly put the future of the B12 in greater doubt.

Funny that ND who everyone though was getting a windfall when they signed the NBC deal now finds themselves on the negative end financially.

Afraid though that @Duff Man is right, this smells like a bunch of clickbait for a columnist
Agreed, it just adds to the amount of schools in the Big-12 that are okay with the conference breaking up which is ultimately what we want.

Agreed, it just adds to the amount of schools in the Big-12 that are okay with the conference breaking up which is ultimately what we want.
Yep. My suspicion is that for Oklahoma and Texas, the Big 12 is fine because they make so much off their Tier 3 and apparel/licensing deals that they're just fine with the conference... as long as it delivers enough prestige of schedule to maintain their prestige. The teams you have to look at leaving are the others who might have a compelling reason to get out and secure a place in a more stable conference while they have the chance. That could be KU to the B1G or WVU to the SEC/ACC or TT to the Pac-12. OU's recent statements make it sound like they wouldn't want the SEC and would look B1G or Pac-12, while OSU feels the opposite about things so maybe there would be a split there. It might take OSU to the SEC to break things up, as that would eliminate the political difficulties of OU/OSU being linked. But, bottom line, I think what it will take to fracture the Big 12 is some defections from their bottom 8 teams and it appears that the 2 conferences that have the money to make this happen are the SEC and B1G.

Yep. My suspicion is that for Oklahoma and Texas, the Big 12 is fine because they make so much off their Tier 3 and apparel/licensing deals that they're just fine with the conference... as long as it delivers enough prestige of schedule to maintain their prestige. The teams you have to look at leaving are the others who might have a compelling reason to get out and secure a place in a more stable conference while they have the chance. That could be KU to the B1G or WVU to the SEC/ACC or TT to the Pac-12. OU's recent statements make it sound like they wouldn't want the SEC and would look B1G or Pac-12, while OSU feels the opposite about things so maybe there would be a split there. It might take OSU to the SEC to break things up, as that would eliminate the political difficulties of OU/OSU being linked. But, bottom line, I think what it will take to fracture the Big 12 is some defections from their bottom 8 teams and it appears that the 2 conferences that have the money to make this happen are the SEC and B1G.

All of this time some of their teams are hoping and praying that the league hangs together.

If the B12 were to break up Iowa State would be of almost zero interest to any existing P5 conference. This is why they are happy to go along with whatever it takes to keep UT/OU happy. I think that TTU would have a hard time finding a landing spot in the P5. KjSU has some success in the Snyder years that may give them some appeal but they would be sweating as well.

TCU has done pretty well since they have made the jump to P5 and would be in a better position than the schools mentioned above. Kansas with their flagship status and BB success would also have some strong appeal but no guarantee.

Baylor would look to be a good candidate for a P5 conference but with their history and reputation I would think they are close to toxic.

The big question for the ACC would be: who is the 2nd team? UConn or Cincinnati would be the easiest because they can leave the AAC without it causing a major upheaval. However, West Virginia might be the more attractive target for the conference. It's highly questionable that the ACC needs the Connecticut market when they've already got Syracuse and Boston College. I actually think Cincy makes the most sense due to being a traditional hoops power, Ohio recruiting grounds and population, decent strength in football in recent years, and being an excellent geographic bridge in the middle of the Louisville-South Bend-Pittsburgh triangle.

Given the financial challenges and their continuing to put off starting the ACC Network, I wonder if ESPN would "unload" its ACC rights on to NBC.

Back