What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

If you were AD... MacIntyre's job security

So you'd fire him if the Buffs win 9 games? 3 ooc wins. 5 conference wins. Plus a bowl game win.
That's just plain "week" minded.
Yes. The goal is to win championships, conference and national. 5-4 won’t cut it. See Strat Plan.

Thanks for pointing out misspelling. I fixed it.

I'm a little confused that a truly mediocre, not highly sought after coach (but a really nice guy) has a contract that makes him too expensive to get rid of. Probably another 5 or 6 win season, but 4 is real possible. From year one, MM has been a very poor game-day coach. Loses his composure, doesn't make good half time adjustments.

That's my honest opinion.

Let's be honest, unless he pulls a miracle season out and gets them to the playoffs or a win in one of the other BCS bowls nobody is coming after him that is a major type program. He's not going to have a better situation than he does here. This team isn't winning 11 or more games this year so that isn't happening.

Firing would require either a significant scandal type event or a complete collapse, meaning 4 or less wins and the team getting embarrassed on the field in an Embree like fashion. That isn't happening either.

Plan on MacIntyre being our coach for at least the 2019 season.

Duff pretty much nailed it.

I just don't see how one can have justification with 5 or less wins, when a coach has had six years and only one year with success. However, I really fear 5 wins and think RG could get some pull back from the University from the hefty buyout with that result. Anything less than 5 and I think RG gets the ok in pretty much all scenarios.

1. Five wins. I'm curious whether the AD's money is fungible, though. George proved he can raise money; are all donations available for salaries, as well as other projects? My five win cutoff is based on the assumption that they are.

2. A top ten finish and outstanding recruiting is about as close as to a simple answer as I can get. If we fail to win the PAC because one or two other teams have exceptional years, we could still finish in the top ten. Then, if he really wants to stay, consider opening up checkbook - if he doesn't sell Rick George on being all in at Boulder, see what happens.

5-4 in conference seems bery weak in year 6.

I’d fire him unless he wins 6 in conference and puts CU on pace for three-year football goals in the Strat Plan.
So being better than half the conference after getting demished regularly is weak?
Bring back Embree!

I’d let anyone take him off our hands. He’s turned things around but I dont think he can take the next step. Guy is not a good recruiter and unfortunately that’s what it takes these days. No social media presence and being terrible with the media doesn’t promote our program at all. I think Chev is our future coach. For me I hope we overachieve this year bc of our offense and Mac gets an offer elsewhere giving Chev the chance to step in. We need to get younger in order to be able to recruit to CU. Recruiting far out weighs coaching in today’s college football unfortunately. Just my opinion.

1. Five wins. I'm curious whether the AD's money is fungible, though. George proved he can raise money; are all donations available for salaries, as well as other projects? My five win cutoff is based on the assumption that they are.

2. A top ten finish and outstanding recruiting is about as close as to a simple answer as I can get. If we fail to win the PAC because one or two other teams have exceptional years, we could still finish in the top ten. Then, if he really wants to stay, consider opening up checkbook - if he doesn't sell Rick George on being all in at Boulder, see what happens.

Our AD made $192 in 2017. https://www.denverpost.com/2018/01/12/cu-buffs-athletics-financial-report/

Firing MacIntyre AFTER the 2018 season would cost just over $9mm. Firing his staff would likely add another million bucks.

Rick George would have to specifically fundraise for the purpose of paying these buyouts AND the raises of the next staff. The next staff would need to be more expensive since we’d be firing MacIntyre due to on field performance. Building from our current mediocrity would require a better and more expensive coaching staff.

The last I checked, CU doesn’t have the free spending gazillionaire donor class of our competitors. Getting together the required capital isn’t impossible, but would certainly require a lot of maneuvering to the point where it may be pointless.

If MacIntyre wins the South a 2nd time in 3 seasons, wouldn’t that refute the argument that his ceiling is bowl appearance mediocrity? Especially since recruiting is improving from 2017-2019 versus the previous level?

If MacIntyre wins the South a 2nd time in 3 seasons, wouldn’t that refute the argument that his ceiling is bowl appearance mediocrity? Especially since recruiting is improving from 2017-2019 versus the previous level?

Not if he gets blown out in the conf championship and the bowl game. We’re not firing him, we can’t afford it. Giving Mac any credit for recruiting is a mistake. It’s all Chev and the assistants.

Not if he gets blown out in the conf championship and the bowl game. We’re not firing him, we can’t afford it. Giving Mac any credit for recruiting is a mistake. It’s all Chev and the assistants.
Chev was a legacy who Lance & Rick definitely encouraged to be hired. But Eliot and Brown are driving a lot of it right now, along with Els, Adams and Ambrose all doing a lot on the trail. I don't think you can refuse to give credit to the HC for the staff recruiting well any more than you can give credit or blame for anything else the coaching staff accomplishes. I strongly believe it is wrong-headed to come from a position that anything the program does well or poorly is in spite of the HC.

Chev was a legacy who Lance & Rick definitely encouraged to be hired. But Eliot and Brown are driving a lot of it right now, along with Els, Adams and Ambrose all doing a lot on the trail. I don't think you can refuse to give credit to the HC for the staff recruiting well any more than you can give credit or blame for anything else the coaching staff accomplishes. I strongly believe it is wrong-headed to come from a position that anything the program does well or poorly is in spite of the HC.
I’ll give him credit for putting together the staff. All I’m saying is we’ve been very mediocre in recruiting and he hasn’t helped that at all. He hasn’t “sealed the deal” or flipped one big time recruit. Every guy we’ve gotten, the assistants got themselves. The guy is a good leader of men and a good week to week teacher of football/technique. Does zero in games or in recruiting in my opinion.

I’ll give him credit for putting together the staff. All I’m saying is we’ve been very mediocre in recruiting and he hasn’t helped that at all. He hasn’t “sealed the deal” or flipped one big time recruit. Every guy we’ve gotten, the assistants got themselves. The guy is a good leader of men and a good week to week teacher of football/technique. Does zero in games or in recruiting in my opinion.
The less I know the more I'm sure of it.

He's actually pretty good at the one on ones with recruits. MacIntyre is a much better recruiter than people realize. It was one of his strong suits as an assistant back in the day and since he's been at CU he has actually been the guy on a number of late in-home visits who closed players for us. Just because he's not a showman doesn't mean he isn't good at recruiting.

I think, however, a big issue when he came to CU is that he was so focused on building the program infrastructure and culture that he made the mistake of hiring coaches who knew his ways instead of emphasizing the need to have assistants on staff who would kill it on the recruiting trail. With his first round of changes he didn't seem to appreciate the geographic footprint and that 1/3 of the staff couldn't be mostly focused on Florida. He seems to be transitioning into more emphasis on recruiting and much better focus on where CU recruits now.

The 2019 class needs to be a big year that makes another leap. It needs to be a Top 30 class at a minimum (which is pretty much just top half of P5 programs). Top 20 is when I would say recruiting is right where it needs to be.

Anything less than 7 wins and he gone. 7-9 wins he stays.

If he goes 10-2 with a PAC 12 Championship he probably gets an extension.

Caveat: He needs to show that he can increase the level of recruiting more than the mediocre bump since the facilities were upgraded. Boulder, the academics, the campus and the new Facilities sell itself. Maximizing the talent level of 2 and 4 star players is great. Getting in some 4 and 5 star, difference makers, can return the program to dominance.

I’d let anyone take him off our hands. He’s turned things around but I dont think he can take the next step. Guy is not a good recruiter and unfortunately that’s what it takes these days. No social media presence and being terrible with the media doesn’t promote our program at all. I think Chev is our future coach. For me I hope we overachieve this year bc of our offense and Mac gets an offer elsewhere giving Chev the chance to step in. We need to get younger in order to be able to recruit to CU. Recruiting far out weighs coaching in today’s college football unfortunately. Just my opinion.
I like Chev but what kind of coaching tree does he have to lean on to build a staff? I’m not sure he will be a great OC, much less a HC.

Scott Frost he aint(yet).

I like Chev but what kind of coaching tree does he have to lean on to build a staff? I’m not sure he will be a great OC, much less a HC.

Scott Frost he aint(yet).
What did frost have until he got his chance? I guess if Chev gets it I would think he’s leave a good chunk of the staff the same. I’d think he’d possibly bring in some of his old friends from Texas tech. ESP with Kingsbury on the hot seat. Not sure if that’s bad or good but I don’t like the he needs experience argument. Nebraska almost lost frost to Florida/ FSU bc they went with Riley and his experience and wanted frost to gain his experience elsewhere.

Average wins per season, 5 seasons...
MacintyreConf avg HawkinsConf avg 10 yearsConf avg
52.4 3.82 4.42.2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Seven seasons fired after going 7-5
BarnettConf Avg
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

What did frost have until he got his chance? I guess if Chev gets it I would think he’s leave a good chunk of the staff the same. I’d think he’d possibly bring in some of his old friends from Texas tech. ESP with Kingsbury on the hot seat. Not sure if that’s bad or good but I don’t like the he needs experience argument. Nebraska almost lost frost to Florida/ FSU bc they went with Riley and his experience and wanted frost to gain his experience elsewhere.
Frost was an OC for 3 years before a G5 school gave him an HC opportunity - and he nailed it.
Average wins per season, 5 seasons...
MacintyreConf avgHawkinsConf avg10 yearsConf avg
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Seven seasons fired after going 7-5
BarnettConf Avg
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Not totally fair for the past 5 years, given what GB inherited vs what MM inherited, but absolutely fair in year 6.

Frost is gonna flop his first year. Book it. He will be looking at that shiny new object on his ring finger...the coveted, self-granted MNC ring from Josten's via UCF.

I got this advice about startup companies that are still struggling along after four years: If something great was coming it would have happened by now.

I don't really need to see the record this year. I gave MM five years in my mind and I have seen what he can do. I realize that there is a lot of parity in the PAC12. My bar is pretty low. After 2016 all I really needed to see was a 0.50 record in conference. That would have given me evidence that we had a strong program going through a rebuild year. Instead we were the worst team in our division and pretty much back to where we were prior to 2016. MM has produced a bottom of the conference team for all his years except 2016; a year which I now attribute mostly to Leavitt.

However, I don't think we can afford to buyout his contract either, given the options CU has available to recruit an elite head coach (they aren't good). If we did buy him out we would buy him out for another mediocre talent, and be in the hole for it. That is what we have done for the past 15 years if you think about it. So we need to live with MM a little longer and hope he improves with experience and OJT? Maybe he can improve the program incrementally enough that, in a few years, we look like a slightly better coaching destination. But we should be strategizing and building options that we can execute in another few years.

This notion that CU isn’t an attractive place to coach is way outdated, IMO. That was probably the case in 2012, when we were the absolute worst program in D-1 football, had antiquated facilities and tepid admin support. We could only offer one year contracts to the assistants, too. All of that has changed. The overall health of the program is way, way better today than it was then.

If it happens that we need to hire a new head coach, I’m not concerned about the general perception of the program hindering the search. We won’t be hiring Nick Saban, but just about any successful Non-P5 head coach would be very much in play.

No cash to fire him, and RG isn't spending a ton of his capital to fire a guy he just gave an extension to. The only way he's gone is if this turns into a Hawk situation. And that won't happen for another 2 or 3 seasons. MM still has the Buffs looking enough like a competent football team. Unless he starts going Hawkins in Kansas, I think he is safe for a while.

Plus, I think he gets 5 to 7 wins this season, and that gets him at least one or two more seasons.

Short of taking a number two on the chancellor's desk, he will be back.

Frost was an OC for 3 years before a G5 school gave him an HC opportunity - and he nailed it.

Not totally fair for the past 5 years, given what GB inherited vs what MM inherited, but absolutely fair in year 6.

I included GB as a bit of a yard stick. Take out the two seasons of 5 wins or less and that average goes from 7 wins to 8+ per season

This notion that CU isn’t an attractive place to coach is way outdated, IMO. That was probably the case in 2012, when we were the absolute worst program in D-1 football, had antiquated facilities and tepid admin support. We could only offer one year contracts to the assistants, too. All of that has changed. The overall health of the program is way, way better today than it was then.

If it happens that we need to hire a new head coach, I’m not concerned about the general perception of the program hindering the search. We won’t be hiring Nick Saban, but just about any successful Non-P5 head coach would be very much in play.
Disagree. Outsiders look at our one successful year as an outlier. Look at our DC coaching search. Had no big names nor interest from anyone of relevance. That to me is telling to where we think we are and where we actually are.

Back