What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

If you were AD... MacIntyre's job security

At what point does the $$ excuse go away because a mediocre/below average football team is producing mediocre/below average revenues and mediocre/below donations?

Look at MM"s original coaching staff...almost all have been pushed out. It was pretty terrible staff. Put up or shut up with MM this year. All comes down to the O-line and running game. If Morretti plays to his potential....and the xfer from Va Tech is a gamer.....will keep D off the field and take pressure off of Montez. If the D has another season of Ole' play, the "Leavitt was the heart and soul" of the winning season will again be revitalized. I was hopeful that he would get extended only 3 years....oh well. Too bad Mississippi had enough common sense to avoid MM....

when the CU boulder community at large understands how valuable a healthy and successful football program is.
I think the bigger issue than buying out the contract is the budget for the new hire.
If the AD was able to get approval for $150m+ for the Champions Center and IPF, and continue to have serious upgrades on the horizon, why is money being discussed as a deal breaker to get the 2nd most important position in the AD right? Assuming the next coach they hire is a good one, the money spent on the buyout and on the new contract is a mid-term investment into the overall health of the AD.

If the AD was able to get approval for $150m+ for the Champions Center and IPF, and continue to have serious upgrades on the horizon, why is money being discussed as a deal breaker to get the 2nd most important position in the AD right? Assuming the next coach they hire is a good one, the money spent on the buyout and on the new contract is a mid-term investment into the overall health of the AD.
hiring and firing coaches, is always political in Boulder. Always.

Besides the AD could sell that the Champions Center and IPF benefit the AD as a whole, it helps student athletes in all programs and levels at CU. It also includes the sports medicine facility which is a big selling point to the community and academics.

Football coaches, benefit the football program. Salaries for football coaches ALWAYS get compared to professor/admin salaries. They always get political.

Besides the AD could sell that the Champions Center and IPF benefit the AD as a whole, it helps student athletes in all programs and levels at CU. It also includes the sports medicine facility which is a big selling point to the community and academics.

Football coaches, benefit the football program. Salaries for football coaches ALWAYS get compared to professor/admin salaries. They always get political.
Football coaches, and in turn football programs, help build the brand of the entire AD and University as a whole. Every other sport, including basketball, benefits from a good football program, which is created by a good football coach. I'm sure you agree and are just providing the facts of the situation, but keeping MM around after a 4-5 win season because the money and politics would be too damaging is a ridiculous and short sighted way of thinking.

Football coaches, and in turn football programs, help build the brand of the entire AD and University as a whole. Every other sport, including basketball, benefits from a good football program, which is created by a good football coach. I'm sure you agree and are just providing the facts of the situation, but keeping MM around after a 4-5 win season because the money and politics would be too damaging is a ridiculous and short sighted way of thinking.

Welcome to Boulder!

Welcome to Boulder!
I guess with the big money facilities, approval of hiring a guy like Leavitt, hiring Rick George, approving contract extensions and pay increases, and the whole "commitment to sustainable excellence" mantra that has infiltrated the CU Boulder community, I just figured CU had moved past this mentality. I'm still not convinced they haven't, but my posts are geared more toward the people here who adamantly believe MM is untouchable because of the money.

At what point does the $$ excuse go away because a mediocre/below average football team is producing mediocre/below average revenues and mediocre/below donations?

When CU egg heads don't openly root against athletics, when we play in a conference that wants to make money off of its own network, and we have tens of thousands of die hard fans that live and die with the product on the field.

Because the school wasn’t paying for any of that stuff out of the general fund. It was a pretty easy request: “hey, we’d like to build some stuff that should make us better. We will pay for it. Are you OK with that?”

When CU egg heads don't openly root against athletics, when we play in a conference that wants to make money off of its own network, and we have tens of thousands of die hard fans that live and die with the product on the field.
I don't know specifics that back up #1, I can agree with #2 but don't know how that affects CU's coaching situation, and I've seen/been to Folsom Field the last two years when CU has been "good" or at least had expectations, and I fully believe a consistently good to great football program will bring out a ton of fan support, that in turn, will create more money for both the AD and the general University. These are the facts of the case, and they are undisputed.

I don’t know why we are suddenly hoping he gets hired away. The trajectory of the program since he has taken over has been decidedly positive. We have solid assistant coaches across the board. Attendance is up. Recruiting has improved. I get that it’s taking longer to resurrect the program than we would like, but man, some of you guys are brutal.

Exactly. The issue isn't whether it is a lot of money to buy out MM's contract by the standards of other very large programs. The issue is: will the history and politics in Boulder allow that to happen. It's hard for folks to politically stomach that we pay one man that much money...especially when we owe a lot of money to the last HC.

Note that in the entire history of CU we have always found bargain, up-n-commer's for our new HC positions. It will either be a promising position coach somewhere, or a coach who was successful in the Mountain West the previous year. That's who's on our radar.

I don’t know why we are suddenly hoping he gets hired away. The trajectory of the program since he has taken over has been decidedly positive. We have solid assistant coaches across the board. Attendance is up. Recruiting has improved. I get that it’s taking longer to resurrect the program than we would like, but man, some of you guys are brutal.
He’s been to a bowl game once in five years and wasn’t even competitive. He took over and won 4 games, 5 years later he won 5 games. How is that decidedly positive? Recruiting has improved due to the new facilities and young coaches. He’s shown he’s a get the ship righted coach, not a take a team to the next level coach.

He’s been to a bowl game once in five years and wasn’t even competitive. He took over and won 4 games, 5 years later he won 5 games. How is that decidedly positive? Recruiting has improved due to the new facilities and young coaches. He’s shown he’s a get the ship righted coach, not a take a team to the next level coach.
I think 4-5 wins a year is decidedly more positive than 1-3 wins per year. Now the question is can he get them to 8-9 wins a year. There's no question in my mind the program is much more attractive to a coach than it was when food cart rolled through here. So I give MM credit from that standpoint. I worry if we do pull in a great recruiting class, will they stick if MM is given the boot after this season due to an under-performing team. But we first have to pull in a great recruiting class for that to be a worry at this point.

It's not brutal, more just acknowledging MM is nothing special as a HC. If he leaves... meh.

I think 4-5 wins a year is decidedly more positive than 1-3 wins per year. Now the question is can he get them to 8-9 wins a year. There's no question in my mind the program is much more attractive to a coach than it was when food cart rolled through here. So I give MM credit from that standpoint. I worry if we do pull in a great recruiting class, will they stick if MM is given the boot after this season due to an under-performing team. But we first have to pull in a great recruiting class for that to be a worry at this point.
I honestly don’t think anyone is coming here for Mac. If we completely clean house I could see some leave. If we keep the majority of the staff in place and promote Chev then I don’t think it’s an issue at all.

I honestly don’t think anyone is coming here for Mac. If we completely clean house I could see some leave. If we keep the majority of the staff in place and promote Chev then I don’t think it’s an issue at all.
You post as if you know. It's annoying.

You post as if you know. It's annoying.
Do you know otherwise?? Sorry I put “think” in there for a reason. It’s just personal opinion. Mac is the least awe inspiring person and it just seems to me that he only gets inolved at the end of a recruitment as the icing on top. The relationship is made with the actual guy recruiting him.

it just seems to me that he only gets inolved at the end of a recruitment as the icing on top. The relationship is made with the actual guy recruiting him.

Ummmm...

Yeah. About that. That’s the way it works pretty much everywhere. But if it makes you feel better to be pissed of over it, knock yourself out.

Ummmm...

Yeah. About that. That’s the way it works pretty much everywhere. But if it makes you feel better to be pissed of over it, knock yourself out.

No, when a guy goes to Washington I’m sure he has a connection with their coach as he’s an impressive/dynamic guy. Same is said for the majority of the consistently successful programs across the nation.

No, when a guy goes to Washington I’m sure he has a connection with their coach as he’s an impressive/dynamic guy. Same is said for the majority of the consistently successful programs across the nation.

giphy.gif

What an argument you make to support your opinion! There’s a reason every recruit calls him coach Mac. He’s so forgettable they can’t remember his first name.

What an argument you make to support your opinion! There’s a reason every recruit calls him coach Mac. He’s so forgettable they can’t remember his first name.
You’re talking out of your ass on a subject you clearly know nothing about but are pretending to be some kind of expert.

Have fun with that. I’m not interested in engaging in a debate.

Back