What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

If you were AD... MacIntyre's job security

"South Florida's ascension into the top 25 from entry into I-A/FCS is the fastest in NCAA history, surpassing Boise State's rise by a mere seven weeks.[5] The Bulls achieved another record on September 30 when they became the fastest program of the modern era to reach the top 10, landing at #6 in the AP Poll and #9 in the Coaches' Poll."
You realize the Boise State coach whose record he beat by just 7 weeks is Dan Hawkins, right? You're seriously using that as the statistic for Leavitt being a super coach? Very strong argument for a coach being able to take us to the next level.

You realize the Boise State coach whose record he beat by just 7 weeks is Dan Hawkins, right? You're seriously using that as the statistic for Leavitt being a super coach? Very strong argument for a coach being able to take us to the next level.
...but we now know that Hawkins wasn't the coach responsible for the Boise State success.

Compare Leavitt to Schiano and I fail to see why some are so infatuated with Leavitt. Schiano was more well-regarded than Leavitt at the time both were in the Big East and Schiano routinely beat him (kicked his ass once even), and his 11-2 season is 10x more impressive than collapsing from a #2 ranking. And nowadays Schiano's a better DC at a more respectable program. Not arguing for Schiano, just that some's perspective seems extremely skewed when it comes to Leavitt.
That would be a great hire.

We should expect more because the AD told us he expects more....With your take everyone should suspend their donations and we should see if the RMAC would take us.

This isn't what I wish it to be. This is the way it is. In fact my post should want everyone to do the opposite. A FB program is so much more than the coaches. If the fans and community don't support it in a "top 25" kinda of way, then you are always going to be expecting the coaches to perform above and beyond.

Fair-weather fans and fair-weather donors are not going to make an elite or a very good program. The fact that many on here "withhold their donations" or season ticket subscriptions as some kind of penance to the AD is a symptom of exactly what I'm talking about; not a solution.

Washington turned their program around not just by hiring a good coach. They rebuilt the support of the program and the fanbase and then hired a great coach.

never posted that, never said that, never thought that. I'm just talking about the here and the now.
You asked why we should expect to be more successful than Washington State - if that's not a pathetically defeatist attitude, I don't know what is.
This isn't what I wish it to be. This is the way it is. In fact my post should want everyone to do the opposite. A FB program is so much more than the coaches. If the fans and community don't support it in a "top 25" kinda of way, then you are always going to be expecting the coaches to perform above and beyond.

Fair-weather fans and fair-weather donors are not going to make an elite or a very good program. The fact that many on here "withhold their donations" or season ticket subscriptions as some kind of penance to the AD is a symptom of exactly what I'm talking about; not a solution.

Washington turned their program around not just by hiring a good coach. They rebuilt the support of the program and the fanbase and then hired a great coach.
Ah yes, it's the fans fault. If we would just pay up instead of complaining about a decade of ****ty product we wouldn't be in this mess. Good call.

I think MM has to make a bowl game or CU has to move on.

I think that if MM gets us to 9 wins, CU has to fight like hell to keep him.

[QUOTE.Just because of our past success? Are we a higher profile program than the team we shared the MNC with, Georgia Tech? Do you think of them as a national powerhouse? Look at the financial makeup, last 3 years record, their in-game attendance, recruiting, etc of the Yellow Jackets and you would find that we are fairly comparable.
GT has missed a bowl game twice in the last 20 years. They did come in the last two years but they’re far more consistent than we are. I’m not saying we should win 9-10 games every year but we damn sure should never miss a bowl game. Literally half of college football makes a bowl and we’ve been there once in the last 10 years. I’m not asking for greatness, just demanding that we aren’t disgraceful.[/QUOTE]
Yes and they only had the dumpster fire of a bad HC for 3 years under Bill Lewis while we had it 6 under Hawk and Embree.

To me, MikeMac's first 2 years here were burnt pancakes. Year 3 we had so many near-misses it was insane. Year 4 was obviously a huge success. Year 5 a step back. In those 3 years his record is 19-20 overall (11-16 Pac 12). Based on where we were to where we are now I think he has earned 2018 and 2019. After that any buyout would be greatly reduced and our talent level would be at a place that the next HC wouldn't have a scorched earth roster to inherit either as Coach Mac did.

Remember: The facilities upgrades and long-term coaching contracts have all come in the last few years; they weren't here when Mac started.

Yes, I do expect CU to regularly have winning seasons, be ranked more often than not, and go to good bowl games. But you have to take an honest look at where we are at as a program to see we aren't there yet and that we are closer and closer to that being attainable and that Coach Mac has done alot of heavy lifting to get us here. Anyone who says we should have gotten here sooner is just playing 20/20 hindsight. There could have been things done better (OL/DL recruiting is a huge issue) but overall we are still raising the bar every year.

You asked why we should expect to be more successful than Washington State - if that's not a pathetically defeatist attitude, I don't know what is.

Ah yes, it's the fans fault. If we would just pay up instead of complaining about a decade of ****ty product we wouldn't be in this mess. Good call.

If the AD had the funds and pressure that a sold-out stadium and waiting list on season tickets could bring then they could be far more aggressive about financial buyouts of underperforming coaches. This isn't professional football.

Would you give him a pass if for example Montez gets hurt early in the season? Are there conditions?

Agree with this, although if Ty Evans stays on board I'd probably give him another game or two slack.

Would you give him a pass if for example Montez gets hurt early in the season? Are there conditions?
If you only have one serviceable qb on your roster after 6 years of recruiting you’re already doing it wrong. Let’s not act like Montez is Dashaun Watson

If the AD had the funds and pressure that a sold-out stadium and waiting list on season tickets could bring then they could be far more aggressive about financial buyouts of underperforming coaches. This isn't professional football.
That would be nice but it's not reality. The football program needs to deliver a good product if they want a sold out stadium and waiting lists for tickets. Waiting for some mega donor to show up or for fans to suddenly pack the stadium for a losing team is not a viable strategy.

Last edited:
That would be nice but it's not really. The football program needs to deliver a good product if they want a sold out stadium and waiting lists for tickets. Waiting for some mega donor to show up or for fans to suddenly pack the stadium for a losing team is not a viable strategy.
If you look at who CU is competing with then you would realize this is a bad take. Many schools across the country pack their stadiums, collect huge donations and have mega donors support despite them not performing on the field so expecting CU to compete with those without the support and infrastructure doesn't make sense. If this school had the support it needed to compete at the highest level these facilities would have been built in 2004/2005 when the program started to tumble, not when it hit rock bottom in 2012. Many people on here just have unrealistic expectations of the program over the long term based on the headwinds the coaches and AD face. Obviously right now there aren't many excuses but just wait a couple years when RG tries to upgrade the west side of Folsom or has to fire Mac and hire a new head coach, it will be painfully obvious.

This.

Honestly Montez (and I really like Montez's potential) should be really scared of Lytle. If that kid gets thrust into a starting role due to injury, I am not sure he gives it back.
Given he's yet to throw a pass in a Buff uniform, I am sure there is ample evidence of this..... I'm optimistic he's a good player, but he's not shown us anything yet but size/speed and arm strength, all of which Montez has in spades.

Where will CU get money to pay for two coaching staffs? We made a pretty big commitment to him and the staff.

Given he's yet to throw a pass in a Buff uniform, I am sure there is ample evidence of this..... I'm optimistic he's a good player, but he's not shown us anything yet but size/speed and arm strength, all of which Montez has in spades.

He really impressed me in the spring game. I know, I know it was a spring game. The arm talent just jumped out to me. He is a more refined passer than Montez. Montez may likely be a more talented all around QB because of his mobility and improvisation. Still I think Lytle, with some game experience, would be very difficult to pull off the field.

Where will CU get money to pay for two coaching staffs? We made a pretty big commitment to him and the staff.
Where will CU get money to make its 2019-20 athletic department budget numbers if reduced attendance during a losing 2018 season and the resulting reduction in season ticket sales for 2019 and reduced donations for the AD aren't mitigated or flipped by making a coaching change that excites the fan base?

Sometimes you do have to spend money in order to make money. Trying to save money in a way that erodes excitement your consumer has about your product is not a financially sound business strategy.

It's never a desirable situation when you fire a coach. But sometimes it is what you need to do. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that and I don't think it will. I'm expecting a good season and a situation where RG is in a position where he either finds a bigger deal for a deserving coach or collects some buyout money as MM departs while having great momentum for hiring a replacement.

In this day and age, coach buyout dollars should be in the budget every year (usually they are structured over a period of time anyway). It’s something every program deals with all the time, unless they are one of the select few that has a very long term coach. If in a given year you don’t have to spend on a buyout, put it towards the next year or towards a capital improvement fund.

If you look at who CU is competing with then you would realize this is a bad take. Many schools across the country pack their stadiums, collect huge donations and have mega donors support despite them not performing on the field so expecting CU to compete with those without the support and infrastructure doesn't make sense. If this school had the support it needed to compete at the highest level these facilities would have been built in 2004/2005 when the program started to tumble, not when it hit rock bottom in 2012. Many people on here just have unrealistic expectations of the program over the long term based on the headwinds the coaches and AD face. Obviously right now there aren't many excuses but just wait a couple years when RG tries to upgrade the west side of Folsom or has to fire Mac and hire a new head coach, it will be painfully obvious.
Raising money, improving fan engagement, cultivating a donor base and corporate partnerships, and selling tickets are the AD's job so are you saying RG is the problem? Fans showing up and donating are a symptom of the problem, not the cause. Besides, blaming fans is a completely fruitless exercise.

The coach can only control butts in the seats to the extent that he's producing a winning program and right now he's not.

Since Mac has been here I've seen one barrier to success after another removed by the AD: significantly increased salary pool, long term contracts for assistants, largest facilities upgrade and fundraising campaign in AD history, relaxed admission requirements for Juco players, and patience.

What in your mind needs to happen before we can start expecting some return on the investments being made into the program? Mac is making 4.5x what we paid Embree and he's winning 5 games a year - is that good enough 6 years in??

Back