What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

If you were AD... MacIntyre's job security

Both Noyer and Lytle should be capable of stepping in and spelling Montez if he gets hurt. There really shouldn’t be too much of a drop-off there.

Both Noyer and Lytle should be capable of stepping in and spelling Montez if he gets hurt. There really shouldn’t be too much of a drop-off there.
I haven't seen anything that says Noyer is capable and still haven't seen Lytle play so; agree to disagree.

I think MM has to make a bowl game or CU has to move on.

I think that if MM gets us to 9 wins, CU has to fight like hell to keep him.

I don't think that's going to be a problem-he had very little interest from anybody after 2016, and he's still going to have a record that is well under .500 for his career if we win 9 or 10 this year.

Where will CU get money to make its 2019-20 athletic department budget numbers if reduced attendance during a losing 2018 season and the resulting reduction in season ticket sales for 2019 and reduced donations for the AD aren't mitigated or flipped by making a coaching change that excites the fan base?

Sometimes you do have to spend money in order to make money. Trying to save money in a way that erodes excitement your consumer has about your product is not a financially sound business strategy.

It's never a desirable situation when you fire a coach. But sometimes it is what you need to do. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that and I don't think it will. I'm expecting a good season and a situation where RG is in a position where he either finds a bigger deal for a deserving coach or collects some buyout money as MM departs while having great momentum for hiring a replacement.
The spend money to make money is tried and true in most cases, however we gave him a really large contract with very high buyouts for the near future. Which is probably the point, MM and RG agreed to a contract that binds CU to MM for more than a year or two. I'm just not sure that firing MM and the whole staff after two down years (following a really great revitalization,) makes sense considering the previous decade of ineptness. I mean the guy had a 5-7 season after losing pretty much his whole defense and record setting QB. To me, firing him sets us back far more than it helps us, both financially and football wise. A transition class would really set this team back imo.

The AD is spending money insofar as it has funds available. 2016 rejuvenated the fan base but 2017 reminded us of our previous failings. Will enough people show up in 2018 who can help the AD meet its budget projections? Yep. It won’t likely get critical because people will still show up. It may be fewer people showing up but people will still go to games and spend money. Donations are harder to come by but they’ll still come.

There may be a tipping point, but the AD is nowhere near it in the next year or two. By then, the buyout will be a lot easier to sell to fans and easier to pay.

You realize the Boise State coach whose record he beat by just 7 weeks is Dan Hawkins, right? You're seriously using that as the statistic for Leavitt being a super coach? Very strong argument for a coach being able to take us to the next level.

I do not agree with that at all - first Dan Hawkins did not build Boise State - BSU moved to FBS in 1996 and Pokey Allen had built the foundation(national runner up in 1-AA in 1994) for that move but died of Cancer in 1996, Houston Nutt was hired for one year and then Dirk Koeter was hired and took them to their first FBS Bowl game in his third season. Yes Hawkins was the coach when they were finally ranked but he did not build the foundation or the Program (they had 2 10 win seasons before he was made HC). Compare that to South Florida where Leavitt was the coach to start a program - they did not have football before he was there. He was hired in 1997, they moved to FBS in 2001 and were in their first Bowl game in 2006. Leavitt's accomplishment was pretty phenomenal since he build it from scratch. You cannot compare Hawkins to that. I think Leavitt has shown he can take it to the next level - From no program (and no facilities) to 1-AA, to 1-A, to FBS, a ranked team and Bowl games.

If you look at who CU is competing with then you would realize this is a bad take. Many schools across the country pack their stadiums, collect huge donations and have mega donors support despite them not performing on the field so expecting CU to compete with those without the support and infrastructure doesn't make sense. If this school had the support it needed to compete at the highest level these facilities would have been built in 2004/2005 when the program started to tumble, not when it hit rock bottom in 2012. Many people on here just have unrealistic expectations of the program over the long term based on the headwinds the coaches and AD face. Obviously right now there aren't many excuses but just wait a couple years when RG tries to upgrade the west side of Folsom or has to fire Mac and hire a new head coach, it will be painfully obvious.

Are you guys even awake. We just upgraded our facilities supposedly second to none - that took a lot of DONORS MONEY. We broke ground on the Champion Center in 2014 and had it completed in 2015 so MM has had the past four years to use it as a recruiting tool (not much bump, IMO). You know why donors get pissed off - because of excuses and people not appreciating what other sacrificed to give them. And it was not lack of Support for the facilities in 2004/2005, it was politics and a weak ass AD.

The spend money to make money is tried and true in most cases, however we gave him a really large contract with very high buyouts for the near future. Which is probably the point, MM and RG agreed to a contract that binds CU to MM for more than a year or two. I'm just not sure that firing MM and the whole staff after two down years (following a really great revitalization,) makes sense considering the previous decade of ineptness. I mean the guy had a 5-7 season after losing pretty much his whole defense and record setting QB. To me, firing him sets us back far more than it helps us, both financially and football wise. A transition class would really set this team back imo.

There's no excuse for this team not getting to a bowl. Period. Let's look at the schedule:

CSU-Middling MWC team. They've finished 7-6 in all three years under Mike Bobo.
Nebraska-Probably the 12th best team in the Big 10 (I'd put Rutgers and Illinois below them). We can and probably should win in Lincoln.
New Hampshire-FCS team.
UCLA-Chip Kelly will turn them into a powerhouse IMO, but this is the spot where you want them in your schedule. Friday night game, so I would expect a loud, fairly inebriated crowd. Winnable game.
ASU-Herm Edwards was the worst coaching hire of last year, and I'd bet money they end up in last place in the South preseason. This game is at home. I'd be concerned if we don't win this one by 10+.
USC-First game on the schedule I chalk up as an L
Washington-another L
Oregon State-That program has been a mess since Mike Riley left. This is another game I'd be concerned about not winning by at least two TDs.
Arizona-Loss
Wazzu-Somewhat of a coin flip, but they lost Alex Grinch and Luke Falk, and this game is also in Boulder.
Utah-I think every game but last year was decided by 10 or less points. Still a winnable game.
Cal-Winnable game.

If there's no bowl game this season, MacIntyre needs to go. If you follow up 10 win 2016 with back to back missed postseasons, you've got enough of a sample size to say 2016 was a fluke. Again, there's no Kevin Sumlin like clause that says he gets his money within 60 days of termination, so I'd say given that its easier to fire him if it comes to that. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but this team (and staff) will need to prove it to me. I thought 5-7 last year was unacceptable.....especially given the 3 score loss at Utah to finish the year.

Last edited:
There's no excuse for this team not getting to a bowl. Period. Let's look at the schedule:

CSU-Middling MWC team. They've finished 7-6 in all three years under Mike Bobo.
Nebraska-Probably the 12th best team in the Big 10 (I'd put Rutgers and Illinois below them). We can and probably should win in Lincoln.
New Hampshire-FCS team.
UCLA-Chip Kelly will turn them into a powerhouse IMO, but this is the spot where you want them in your schedule. Friday night game, so I would expect a loud, fairly inebriated crowd. Winnable game.
ASU-Herm Edwards was the worst coaching hire of last year, and I'd bet money they end up in last place in the South preseason. This game is at home. I'd be concerned if we don't win this one by 10+.
USC-First game on the schedule I chalk up as an L
Washington-another L
Oregon State-That program has been a mess since Mike Riley left. This is another game I'd be concerned about not winning by at least two TDs.
Arizona-Loss
Wazzu-Somewhat of a coin flip, but they lost Alex Grinch and Luke Falk, and this game is also in Boulder.
Utah-I think every game but last year was decided by 10 or less points. Still a winnable game.
Cal-Winnable game.

If there's no bowl game this season, MacIntyre needs to go. If you follow up 10 win 2016 with back to back missed postseasons, you've got enough of a sample size to say 2016 was a fluke. Again, there's no Kevin Sumlin like clause that says he gets his money within 60 days of termination, so I'd say given that its easier to fire him if it comes to that. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but this team (and staff) will need to prove it to me. I thought 5-7 last year was unacceptable.....especially given the 3 score loss at Utah to finish the year.

Haven't see what Vegas thinks, but I think I would set the O/U at 5.5 games.

He was just extended, 6 wins he stays, 5 wins he stays, 4 wins he might stay. This isn't about what should happen, it's what will happen. I don't particularly care for MM, but facts is facts.

I do not agree with that at all - first Dan Hawkins did not build Boise State - BSU moved to FBS in 1996 and Pokey Allen had built the foundation(national runner up in 1-AA in 1994) for that move but died of Cancer in 1996, Houston Nutt was hired for one year and then Dirk Koeter was hired and took them to their first FBS Bowl game in his third season. Yes Hawkins was the coach when they were finally ranked but he did not build the foundation or the Program (they had 2 10 win seasons before he was made HC). Compare that to South Florida where Leavitt was the coach to start a program - they did not have football before he was there. He was hired in 1997, they moved to FBS in 2001 and were in their first Bowl game in 2006. Leavitt's accomplishment was pretty phenomenal since he build it from scratch. You cannot compare Hawkins to that. I think Leavitt has shown he can take it to the next level - From no program (and no facilities) to 1-AA, to 1-A, to FBS, a ranked team and Bowl games.
Either way no one that built that Boise State program proved to be a P5 level coach unless you want to give all the credit to a 2nd year OC. You seem to be arguing for a program builder, which we don't really need. MacIntyre already took us from FCS level to FBS level and beyond in a metaphorical sense. Petersen dominated for years and years and has almost no flaws as a coach, that's what made him an elite coach.

Except for the lack of experience....
I go back to when Sefo got hurt in Michigan. Montez steps in and was awful that day, but once he had a week to work with the first team offense, he was much more effective. I see the same kind of thing in play if Montez gets hurt this year. Plus, Montez was a RS Freshman at the time. Noyer has had more time in the system than Montez did when he was thrust into the starting job. And Lytle has the same level of experience. It’s not like we would be throwing a true Freshman out there. Noyer and Lytle both have some time in the system.

Honestly, this isn’t a huge concern for me. I’m far more concerned about the health of Javier Edwards than I am about Steven Montez.

Either way no one that built that Boise State program proved to be a P5 level coach unless you want to give all the credit to a 2nd year OC. You seem to be arguing for a program builder, which we don't really need. MacIntyre already took us from FCS level to FBS level and beyond in a metaphorical sense. Petersen dominated for years and years and has almost no flaws as a coach, that's what made him an elite coach.

The question didn't start off as who is the best coach. Petersen is a coaching legend. Schiano would be a damn fine coach.

As we don't wan't to gamble another five years on an upstart (some up and coming coordinator or a G5 coach), the question was originally posed as: who is an already great coach that we could get to come to CU. We aren't getting Petersen. I would take Schiano, but is probably in line for a major P5 job. Leavitt is desperate to be a head coach, but no one will offer him the job as he is a former child slapper. Seems to me that Leavitt is a great coach we could actually get.

Haven't see what Vegas thinks, but I think I would set the O/U at 5.5 games.

He was just extended, 6 wins he stays, 5 wins he stays, 4 wins he might stay. This isn't about what should happen, it's what will happen. I don't particularly care for MM, but facts is facts.

Again-there's no reason why this team can't make a bowl game given the schedule. Every winnable Pac 12 game sans Cal IMO is in Boulder. A couple other things-Rick George was the one who was putting forth the expectation that the football team should be winning conference championships by..........2020 or 2021 in his strategic plan? He's risking going down with a guy he didn't even hire if MM misses another bowl and keeps his job. He's a savvier businessman than this, people. If MM goes 5-7 again, Rick George will find the money to get rid of him.

Compare that to South Florida where Leavitt was the coach to start a program - they did not have football before he was there. He was hired in 1997, they moved to FBS in 2001 and were in their first Bowl game in 2006. Leavitt's accomplishment was pretty phenomenal since he build it from scratch. You cannot compare Hawkins to that. I think Leavitt has shown he can take it to the next level - From no program (and no facilities) to 1-AA, to 1-A, to FBS, a ranked team and Bowl games.

This.

Leavitt's recruiting, player development, preparation, and game planning appeared to be substantial in his brief stay here. I believe, like here, he moved the Ducks upwards in every defensive stat in year one. Comparing him to Hawkins is a fools errand.

I can see a scenario where we are killing it in recruiting but have a disappointing year, losing 3-4 games by slim margins and winding up 5-7. In a situation like that, I think RG looks at the talent coming in and shows some patience.

I can see a scenario where we are killing it in recruiting but have a disappointing year, losing 3-4 games by slim margins and winding up 5-7. In a situation like that, I think RG looks at the talent coming in and shows some patience.

RG has already given MM 6 years. MM isn't RG's hire. MM has had some controversy surrounding his tenure (deserved or not, its true). RG has been plenty patient.

None of us sit in on the meetings between MM and RG.

MM could be acknowledging lackluster recruiting because he was focused on getting other things in order (support infrastructure, academic support, changing the culture, etc) but now that those are fixed, it's time to really fix recruiting.

Or he could actually believe that the recruiting effort for the last 5 years has been acceptable, and that the only way you win without outright cheating is by building a senior heavy team that really comes together a la 2016.

I'm sort of at a point where neither philosophy would surprise me. I hope it's the former, but most of me really thinks it's the latter. In which case, we're screwed.

Last edited:
None of us sit in on the meetings between MM and RG.

MM could be acknowledging lackluster recruiting because he was focused on getting other things in order (support infrastructure, academic support, changing the culture, etc) but now that those are fixed, it's time to really fix recruiting.

Or he could actually believe that the recruiting effort for the last 5 years has been acceptable, and that the only way you win without outright cheating is by building a senior heavy team that really comes together a la 2016.

I'm sort of at a point where neither philosophy would surprise me. I hope it's the former, but most of me really thinks it's the latter. In which case, we're screwed.

Either and both of these scenarios are just excuses.

Back