What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#IsItNovemberYet

Post had a nice article on Dombek. It basically said that he’s figuring it out and improving rapidly. I’m not sure what that means as far as him contributing anytime soon. I’m sure it will be a gradual process with him.

Post had a nice article on Dombek. It basically said that he’s figuring it out and improving rapidly. I’m not sure what that means as far as him contributing anytime soon. I’m sure it will be a gradual process with him.

I read the guy still only weighs 190 lbs. I think Tad uses him as instant offense off the bench, but he won't take too many minutes from Siewart unless he can rebound and defend--and that seems unlikely at 190 lbs.

I read the guy still only weighs 190 lbs. I think Tad uses him as instant offense off the bench, but he won't take too many minutes from Siewart unless he can rebound and defend--and that seems unlikely at 190 lbs.

190 is just too thin. I hope to see him in non con but if anything happens to Beatty/bey/Siewert/walton, I bet tad turns to strating.

Bullard transferred to Iowa after two seasons to get away from Tom Miller. Had a successful career with the Houston Rockets.

Certainly too slight to play Tad ball, but I have my suspicions that the kid can score and we can use a microwave off the bench. A man can dream, anyway.

View attachment 31916

Damn. I leave for an hour and a mini Matt Bullard thread breaks out????!!!!! I’d get on board your Dombek train if he could play the 3. Hopefully we don’t have to wait too long for him to gain the 20 lbs he’d need to match bullard’s freshman weight.

Certainly too slight to play Tad ball, but I have my suspicions that the kid can score and we can use a microwave off the bench. A man can dream, anyway.

View attachment 31916

I'm with you, but I think we're a full season away from seeing Dombek actually contributing in meaningful minutes this season. What's great though, is that we don't need him to contribute at all - he can just improve his game in practice and work on his strength. Next year though.............watch out, hopefully (I still think he's a project that was worth taking, but who knows if he ever cracks the rotation).

So where's the report(s) on this morning's scrimmage? Are those who attended recovering from the football loss and thus not up for posting?

Since the players are playing each other in a scrimmage, sometimes it can be hard to tell just how good they are. Was that a great shot... or poor defense? Was that block great defense or a weak run to the rim? That said, here are my thoughts about the scrimmage;

The thing that stood out most for me this year was that, while there were some really impressive plays by individuals, no player was able to dominate. I believe that is a positive. In my opinion, the reason was that there were so many really good players on the floor. I have been a season ticker holder for 40 years now. Overall, this team may have the best depth during that time ... Don't hold me to that, I get a pass for old age memory ... But it's got to be close.

The true freshman Keeshawn Barthelemy is a name to remember in more ways than one. He is supposed to red shirt, but I think that Tad will be severely tempted to play him. You can tell the good (maybe great?) ones. He has floor sense, great vision, can handle the ball, distributes, shoots with good from and is not afraid to take his 165lb body to the rim in traffic. This kid is terrific ... no fear and plays like he belongs. Can't wait for him to grow up. The times when McKinley and he were on the foot together, they played very well off of each other ... probably would be the best guard tandem on the team

D'Shawn Schwartz has definitely been in the weight room. He looks strong and more mature. He shot very well from the three, but also rebounded and passed ... asserted himself more than I have seen in the past. I think that he can have a break out year.

McKinley was McKinley ... no sign of rust or injury. He is the man on this team. At last year's preseason scrimmage, I thought that he pressed and tried to do too much ... not so this year. Let the game come to him ... and asserted himself when the opportunity (or inclination maybe) presented itself. His three point shooting seems to have improved.

Tyler Bey looks like he picked up where he left off last year. He did all of the things that made him noteworthy in the last half of last year's season. In addition he make some outside shots ... but his shooting form still seems a little "unique" to me. Also noteworthy was what appeared to be more expressions of leadership on the floor. I think that will make him even more effective.

Evan Battty also seemed to be in his groove. As I recall, he lead the team in charges taken last year ... did that two or three times in the scrimmage. Evan is the juice. I love this kid. I think that he will be fun to watch for three more years. And he is a load underneath, but sill one of the best vision/passers on the team.

Daylen Kountz has gotten a little bigger and he is playing with a lot of confidence ... 2nd best guard on the team in my opinion (assuming that Keeshawn red shirts).

Eli Parquet looks bigger and stronger as well. I watched him some in shooting drills and he looked good. We will see if that translates to the game.

It was good to see Dallas Walton back on the floor. He has been on the sidelines now two out of three years due to injury and his freshman red shirt to recover from high school injuries. If his knees hold up he can make a significant contribution this year. But you can see some rust from not being in game action for a while. This guy is underrated from a skills point of view ... he can shoot the ball (made a long three) and he is 7.0 ft. I don't think that he will start early on, but he will likely round into form if his health holds out. He is easy to root for.

Jakub Dombek looks stronger than his advertised 190 lbs. He is still learning and developing, but he made a driving reverse layup coming down the baseline in heave traffic that was a thing of beauty. I also watched him in shooting practice. He can shoot the ball. I think that he is going to be a big contributor as time goes by ... maybe not so much this year due to team depth, but he certainly shows promise for the future.

Shane Gatling looked about the same ... playing with a lot of intensity and he made (and missed) some threes. He may be challenged more this year for playing time.

Lucas Siewert has probably the best three point shooting form on the team (except for maybe Schwartz). He seems to be having some fun out there in his senior year ... nothing tentative about him anymore.

Maddox Daniels (the JUCO transfer this year) looks to be better than I thought he would be. He has great shooting form ... shoots the three but also has a good floor game, hustled and drove to the basket a couple of times. At 6/6 he is a big guard and may get good minutes, depending on the match ups. Could not tell too much about his defense, but he is athletic.

Alex Strating is still Mr Hustle ... showed the same grit and teamwork as last year ... this guy gets the most out of his gifts.

The walk-ons seem to be well integrated as teammates, but none were particularly impressive compared to the scholarship players.

I think that this will be an enjoyable year for CU basketball fans. But I am mindful that in years with high expectations, sometimes things don't pan out so well. Still, we are due ... maybe overdue ... to make a run at a PAC 12 championship and make some noise in the NCAA. I have my fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Appreciate the in depth report. Sounds very encouraging although scrimmages only tell so much. Tad has his work cut out figuring how to best utilize the talent and developing a rotation. With so many capable and flexible players, I'd think a fast pace offense and pressure defense may be likely. And I do recall Tad talking about D White in his redshirt year similarly to how he has talked about Barthelemy.

Agree with most of the above. Love the new kid Keeshawn. 2 years from now it will be his team.
Dombek gonna be a player. Looks stronger and bigger than the reported 190.
Maddox Daniels is an upgrade. Shane stepping up his game because of him. win win.

Great watching the team even if it was just a scrimmage. Keeshawn B was very smooth and looks to be a great addition after his red shirt season. The team should be ready to go from the start since everyone is back. Now that the team can field 11 solid players I really hope we play to the strength altitude gives us and start running and pressing teams more especially those with short rotations. Need to scrape and claw all season to get as high of a seed as we can in the big dance for a strong run. I have had season tickets for 25+ years and this team is one of the best and deepest that I have seen. Undefeated at home is a possibility.

Per https://pac-12.com/article/2019/10/...womens-basketball-media-days-next-week-pac-12 , men's bball media day is this Tuesday, with the main coverage from 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM on all Pac 12 network channels. The Buffs (represented by "... Tad Boyle and student-athletes McKinley Wright IV and Tyler Bey") are scheduled on 3:15 PM MT. (Commissioner Scott's opening remarks are scheduled within a shorter separate TV slot scheduled from 11:00 - 11:30 AM MT.)

SKO Buffs!!!

(As I noted in their "hype" thread, women's bball media day is tomorrow.)

Boy! You would think that opponents may hang with us through the first couple of rotations but eventually our depth will overwhelm most of them. Our bench will definitely be a key.

Concur with pretty much all that @Hoops Fan said. I think Dallas will probably spend a couple months struggling to find his way again, but a couple times during drills he took it hard to rim, looked like he trusted the knee and was ready to play. If he can get back to being a solid contributor by conference play, that would be huge (like 7 feet huge). It also looked to me like Daylen had been working on his shot, during shootaround he looked smooth to me.
I suspect day 1 will be Kin, Bey, Battey, D'Shawn, Shane again? With Dallas, Daylen, Maddox, Siewert next. I'm #TeamStrating after the P12 tourney last year, but he's still gonna struggle for minutes, with Eli and Jakub I'd say.

Anyone else nervous about this china trip? What if they make a move in the trade war by arresting the Buffs as spies? Remember, they almost locked up ucla guys last year.

Back