What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

ITT: We Discuss Students & Mike Bohn (For Some Reason)

That's an ineffective stick, when a more effective carrot is probably the appropriate course of action. Seriously, you're going to tell the students "show up or we will sell your seats", when they don't use the seats anyway? That's just another "F you" to the students. Hardly what we need to be doing right now.
The idea is try to get them to use them. And so when they do take the seats away, the students won't say, "if we had known we would've come to more games."

If they have a demand for seats which aren't being used, shouldn't they be sold or should they just sit empty?

The idea is try to get them to use them. And so when they do take the seats away, the students won't say, "if we had known we would've come to more games."

If they have a demand for seats which aren't being used, shouldn't they be sold or should they just sit empty?

What makes you think they could be sold? My section is right next to the students and it's not full most games.

I think it is simply poor marketing. Build the hype machine and people will come.

I know what the idea is. It won't work. You're threatening to take away something they're not using in the first place. They aren't going to magically show up due to a threat of losing seats they weren't previously using.

I think it is simply poor marketing. Build the hype machine and people will come.

Agreed. CU needs to do a better job of getting the word out on tickets and games. Football has billboards up around Denver about 10 months out of the year but basketball rarely has anything. Plus, now that CU has some homegrown talent on their roster, they should be doing more to promote that fact. I tell my sportsfan coworkers how cheap CU tickets are and they are amazed - it's like no one has ever told them that there is good college basketball less than 1 hour away.

A lot of that is due to the fact that RG has a lot of other things he's dealing with right now. I'd like to think they have somebody at the AD who is responsible for marketing, but something tells me they don't.

What makes you think they could be sold? My section is right next to the students and it's not full most games.
They sold out of season tickets this year. I did question somewhere else(maybe even here), what the renewal rate would be this year.

Even if those seats were filled, they'd be making more revenue than they would be with the students who don't show up.

Agreed. CU needs to do a better job of getting the word out on tickets and games. Football has billboards up around Denver about 10 months out of the year but basketball rarely has anything. Plus, now that CU has some homegrown talent on their roster, they should be doing more to promote that fact. I tell my sportsfan coworkers how cheap CU tickets are and they are amazed - it's like no one has ever told them that there is good college basketball less than 1 hour away.
What many of us having been saying for a long time even with the price increases this year, it's still arguably the best entertainment value on the Front Range.

I think if they were to cut 500-1000 seats the seats would be baseline, premium seats. The students get fantastic seats, they need to use them or lose them IMO. Could move the band, but it would be difficult to get a functional, confined setup like they have anywhere but the corners.

that only punishes the die-hards we dont need to double down on this.

Where does our attendance rank in the conference? Is this even a problem? 9k average amirite?

Where does our attendance rank in the conference? Is this even a problem? 9k average amirite?
The attendance just accounts for tickets sold and we have like 8500 between students/season ticket holders before any individual tickets/visiting tickets are sold.

The attendance just accounts for tickets sold and we have like 8500 between students/season ticket holders before any individual tickets/visiting tickets are sold.

pretty sure they count them at the door, all of the users have clickers to count something.

Before cutting student capacity or accepting empty student seats I think they have to consider the contribution a full student section makes to the atmosphere and game experience. How many of those people buying season tickets are there because of the entire game experience, not just what happens on the floor.

I go back to Sacky's post. CU cannot just put this thing into cruise control and count on having the fans and money keep rolling in. If efforts need to be made to get and keep the students engaged for the current and future health of the program then make those efforts.

Agree with you here the thing is we need a budget to fund the CUnit to run promo's marketing etc. If we cut a few hundred seats and sell those we could have a self funding budget for the CUnit 2,000 fans that show up every game is better for the atmosphere than getting 1500 most games and the occasional 2500.

how did you wander off into total attendance?

Some of this thread "wandered" into non-student attendance as well. Either way I don't see a problem if we are that much better than the rest of the conference (except Zona) regardless of student attendance

Last edited:
pretty sure they count them at the door, all of the users have clickers to count something.
My point is if there's some snowstorm that hits tomorrow night and not too many people want to go -- let's say 5000 people showed up. It would still go down as 9700 (or whatever the number is) in the box score because it's just about paid attendance.

Some of this thread "wandered" into non-student attendance as well. Either way I don't see a problem if we are that much better than the rest of the conference (except Zona) regardless of student attendance
I definitely think some are making too big of a deal about this everything considered. That said, when we talk about how good our student section it is underwhelming besides KU and likely, UofA.

I definitely think some are making too big of a deal about this everything considered.

That is where I disagree this has the hallmarks of a dumb CU move, as Sacky mentioned this is not cultivating the fan base during this success is repeating what we did in football during our 15 year run of success. The more students we engage fervently, the more we get to take ownership of the team, the more that will be fans, donors, and season ticket holders in the future. Winning does cure all ills but doing the right things while your winning means people pay more for scarce tickets, and more people show up and try to stem the tide when you suck.

That is where I disagree this has the hallmarks of a dumb CU move, as Sacky mentioned this is not cultivating the fan base during this success is repeating what we did in football during our 15 year run of success. The more students we engage fervently, the more we get to take ownership of the team, the more that will be fans, donors, and season ticket holders in the future. Winning does cure all ills but doing the right things while your winning means people pay more for scarce tickets, and more people show up and try to stem the tide when you suck.

This success is nothing like the success we had in football. I think that is one of the problems. To us diehard fans, this unprecedented success is very exciting and unexpected. However, in the grand scheme of things to casual fans, this run of success is really not that impressive. We haven't had a sustained run in the top 25 (and therefore are not on sports center etc.), our games are not readily available on many TVs, our star player went down for the year, and we've won just one tournament game and haven't really made any sort of splash in March Madness. That's not a recipe to draw in the casual fan. I don't mean to diminish the team's accomplishments, because they are great, I'm just trying to point out that to the casual and disinterested fan, they may not appear as impressive as we think they do.

Another issue that I think is important is the apparent divide that exists between the die hard CUnit folks at the bottom of the student section and the casual fans that show up looking for a good time. For some reason there seems to be animosity between these two groups. I've heard on this board about the dorks up front and their stupid cheers and stuff as well as a disregard for the folks who show up for the big games and sit up top from the CUnit die-hards. For some reason, there appears to be a disconnect between the hard-core student fan, and the student fan that turns up for a good time. Not everyone is going to follow the buffs like we do and know the names of the players and the stats etc., but almost everyone likes to have a good time. I don't know which side this divide is being caused by, but I think it is a definite problem that needs to be addressed. If a casual fan shows up and can't stand the die-hards or feels unwelcome, he probably isn't going to show up again.

Oh, and they should serve 3.2 beer again.

Last edited:
This success is nothing like the success we had in football. I think that is one of the problems. To us diehard fans, this unprecedented success is very exciting and unexpected. However, in the grand scheme of things to casual fans, this run of success is really not that impressive. We haven't had a sustained run in the top 25 (and therefore are not on sports center etc.), our games are not readily available on many TVs, our star player went down for the year, and we've won just one tournament game and haven't really made any sort of splash in March Madness. That's not a recipe to draw in the casual fan. I don't mean to diminish the team's accomplishments, because they are great, I'm just trying to point out that to the casual and disinterested fan, they may not appear as impressive as we think they do.

Another issue that I think is important is the apparent divide that exists between the die hard CUnit folks at the bottom of the student section and the casual fans that show up looking for a good time. For some reason there seems to be animosity between these two groups. I've heard on this board about the dorks up front and their stupid cheers and stuff as well as a disregard for the folks who show up for the big games and sit up top from the CUnit die-hards. For some reason, there appears to be a disconnect between the hard-core student fan, and the student fan that turns up for a good time. Not everyone is going to follow the buffs like we do and know the names of the players and the stats etc., but almost everyone likes to have a good time. I don't know which side this divide is being caused by, but I think it is a definite problem that needs to be addressed. If a casual fan shows up and can't stand the die-hards or feels unwelcome, he probably isn't going to show up again.

There is a couple things that bother me about them. Costumes are cool or whatever, I just think they are kind of weird and I think a lot of students agree with me and the first impression is these guys are strange I don't want to associate myself with them. I'm usually in the 8th row or so and there have been a couple times where a chant is done wrong or something and they turn around and just yell at people. They just look and act entitled and people don't like being talked down to by weird kids in costumes. When an opposing team is shooting a free throw they keep telling the student section to sit down, so the guys in the costumes will stand out to distract the free throw shooter. This doesn't include everyone and everytime that happens the whole student sections enthusiasm goes down. And this is what really really pissed me off. My younger brother (he is a sophomore in high school but looks potentially old enough) and I came up for the Oregon game during Winter Break. He wanted to get there really early so we could be up front so we showed up two hours before the game. He has always loved the C-unit and was super pumped to sit in the student section. We get there and I know that the Buff man or whatever always sit in the front, so no big deal we sat in row three. There is really no one else there quite yet. Instantly, an usher comes up and says we have to move. I tell him why, it is the student section I am a student. He says that the first three rows are reserved for people who come to every game. Well I go to every game, but since I don't have a costume apparently I can't sit where I want in an open seating section. We move back two rows and he says we have to move back still. So five rows are apparently reserved for that game for these guys even though I love CU basketball just as much as they do and know just as much as they do. It really pissed me off and my brother has not wanted to go back to another game after that debacle.

There is a couple things that bother me about them. Costumes are cool or whatever, I just think they are kind of weird and I think a lot of students agree with me and the first impression is these guys are strange I don't want to associate myself with them. I'm usually in the 8th row or so and there have been a couple times where a chant is done wrong or something and they turn around and just yell at people. They just look and act entitled and people don't like being talked down to by weird kids in costumes. When an opposing team is shooting a free throw they keep telling the student section to sit down, so the guys in the costumes will stand out to distract the free throw shooter. This doesn't include everyone and everytime that happens the whole student sections enthusiasm goes down. And this is what really really pissed me off. My younger brother (he is a sophomore in high school but looks potentially old enough) and I came up for the Oregon game during Winter Break. He wanted to get there really early so we could be up front so we showed up two hours before the game. He has always loved the C-unit and was super pumped to sit in the student section. We get there and I know that the Buff man or whatever always sit in the front, so no big deal we sat in row three. There is really no one else there quite yet. Instantly, an usher comes up and says we have to move. I tell him why, it is the student section I am a student. He says that the first three rows are reserved for people who come to every game. Well I go to every game, but since I don't have a costume apparently I can't sit where I want in an open seating section. We move back two rows and he says we have to move back still. So five rows are apparently reserved for that game for these guys even though I love CU basketball just as much as they do and know just as much as they do. It really pissed me off and my brother has not wanted to go back to another game after that debacle.

You should have stayed in your seat and ignored him. plus that guy is a creep

You should have stayed in your seat and ignored him. plus that guy is a creep
I gave up after telling the guy that's bull**** for like five minutes. Next time I will try to do that. Maybe I will show up early and sit in Buff Man's seat for the ASU game and see what happens. But its stuff like that, that may cause the disconnect.

First off I agree with you. But two points to that, we had more success in football and football is a much bigger deal. It's a lot easier to reach the ceiling in basketball so to speak, with fewer seats to fill. Given that they've sold out of season tickets, the only thing left to do other than a major renovation or a new arena is to raise ticket prices and hopefully get more donations. But we've got a practice facility so in terms of facilities, I don't know how much more we can really do.

I've been trying to preach what your saying about how it's frustrating to us diehards the lack of support we've been getting this year, but it shouldn't be as shocking as some have made it out to be. While CU is in a much better place than we're used to, this is still a team that has one NCAA win and hasn't been in the top 25 too much during this time (as you pointed out). The fans have already responded to the past success by buying more tickets. And a few have converted to getting emotionally invested in this both time-wise/money-wise. However, there's plenty of people out there, who just care about the conference games or even games like KU/UofA. I think they'll need to get to the "next level" before we see more. Now, could CU do more of course. Ultimately, it's up to the fans however.

The reason for the divide IMO is because people get into pissing contests thinking they're a better fan than another fan, who doesn't religiously follow this team and go to every game.

I don't really have a problem so much with them reserving the first few rows for fans who go to every game. And maybe the first row could be costume only. But after that, if you go to every game you should be treated the same as every other fan. That kind of stuff you talk about bugs me how they prioritize certain students over others, who are just as loyal.

Back