What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

ITT: We Discuss Students & Mike Bohn (For Some Reason)

The CUnit doesn’t own the seats. We “sell” them back to the school? huh. The AD owns them. They aren’t going to give that money to the CUnit, they are going to put it into the same pool of dollars that is funding only ONE thing - the excellence in sustainability epic cool we’re going to be so great in football lets not support college basketball program or whatever they are calling it.

Sorry I hit a nerve you are right the CUnit does not own the seats, and the AD can do what ever they want ultimately. However you'd probably be surprised at the reception you'd get if if you broached the subject reasonably with the AD, you might also look at picking up sponsors for the CUnit. You'll have to be a bit more corporate probably and work with the school more closely but if you want the money that is a deal you'll have to do with the devil. We are in a huge revenue and cash crunch right now, Bohn's forecasts he left us with were predicated on nearly 6k more a game in attendance for football which when it is all said and done will leave us 2-3million deeper in the hole than expected. Coming to the table with creative ways to self-fund will go a long long way.

Sorry I hit a nerve you are right the CUnit does not own the seats, and the AD can do what ever they want ultimately. However you'd probably be surprised at the reception you'd get if if you broached the subject reasonably with the AD, you might also look at picking up sponsors for the CUnit. You'll have to be a bit more corporate probably and work with the school more closely but if you want the money that is a deal you'll have to do with the devil. We are in a huge revenue and cash crunch right now, Bohn's forecasts he left us with were predicated on nearly 6k more a game in attendance for football which when it is all said and done will leave us 2-3million deeper in the hole than expected. Coming to the table with creative ways to self-fund will go a long long way.

No worries, you didn’t hit a nerve, I was drinking all day yesterday after my 9:30 class. No biggie. Here is what I do know - The CUnit has really enjoyed the relationships that they were able to build with Half Fast Subs (having own sandwich etc) and approached the athletic department to discuss expanding the community corporate relationships the CUnit had directly. After all, the students in the CUnit are the ones supporting the businesses on the hill and in the community. Long story short the students basically got shot down because they already have their corporate sponsorship program through BSP (Buffalo Sports Properties). CU AD is really good at saying no.

I love the idea of getting funding for the CUnit - in fact, I think it’s necessary. But until they are independent and not interwoven into an already existing marketing budget, they are basically tools of the athletic department.

I went to a couple back when they were holding them. Good venue but the neighborhoods around made a lot of complaints because of noise, parking, trash, drunken concert goers, etc.

Don't remember exactly what the final resolution was but the result was an end to the frequent concerts there.

So it's similar to Thursday night-Sunday morning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No worries, you didn’t hit a nerve, I was drinking all day yesterday after my 9:30 class. No biggie. Here is what I do know - The CUnit has really enjoyed the relationships that they were able to build with Half Fast Subs (having own sandwich etc) and approached the athletic department to discuss expanding the community corporate relationships the CUnit had directly. After all, the students in the CUnit are the ones supporting the businesses on the hill and in the community. Long story short the students basically got shot down because they already have their corporate sponsorship program through BSP (Buffalo Sports Properties). CU AD is really good at saying no.

I love the idea of getting funding for the CUnit - in fact, I think it’s necessary. But until they are independent and not interwoven into an already existing marketing budget, they are basically tools of the athletic department.

I've been through that with the school Leerfield basically has the rights to most things and kicks back through BSP - trying to run it up the flagpole at leerfield might be the way to go.

I went to a couple back when they were holding them. Good venue but the neighborhoods around made a lot of complaints because of noise, parking, trash, drunken concert goers, etc.

Don't remember exactly what the final resolution was but the result was an end to the frequent concerts there.
Thought they discontinued in part because of the switch from turf to grass?

That may be a company line, but it's bullsh*t. They run the Bolder Boulder on that surface every Memorial Day. 40,000 or so people running on that grass. They put down a protective cover. It's fine. They did the same thing when they had artifical turf. You can bust up artifical turf just as easily as natural grass, and natural grass will grow back.

That may be a company line, but it's bullsh*t. They run the Bolder Boulder on that surface every Memorial Day. 40,000 or so people running on that grass. They put down a protective cover. It's fine. They did the same thing when they had artifical turf. You can bust up artifical turf just as easily as natural grass, and natural grass will grow back.
And graduation as well.

That may have been a part of it but grass isn't an issue in lots of other venues. They simply cover the grass with a protective hard surface that comes off again as soon as the show is over. Folsom would be easier to cover and protect than most because it is a smaller grass surface and doesn't have a huge amount of crown to deal with.

As I said I don't remember the specifics but I know that at the time there was a lot of complaining from the campus neighbors. The noise issue was a big part of that complaining. How the decision came down in the end is something that someone else who was closer to it would have to answer.

So, not trying to be dense here, but what would be the purpose of funding for CUnit? To what use would the money be put? How much are we talking about the CUnit needing? Why is this a necessity to build on what is currently happening, and how would it result in more butts in seats per game? Is there some sort of plan that has been generated that illustrates the need for funding? How would funding CUnit be more beneficial to the university and athletic department than using money for the purposes that it is currently being used (capital projects, scholarships, etc)?

The CUnit has requested for a funding stream officially on multiple occasions and it has never been granted on a basis of “distracting donors from other avenues of donation"

Why again does the CUnit need sustained significant funding or corporate relationships?

Of course CU athletics is not going to be cool with having the CUnit recruit sponsors - they want companies to support them, not a non-affiliated random student group that is showing up at their events. If any unofficial sponsorship is done and advertised at games the CUnit could find out what an uncooperative AD looks like pretty quick. If the AD begins to act hand in hand with the CUnit, they have to become responsible for the content to some degree. Anything that looks like an official acceptance of the *uck 'em up cheer could bring down network wrath on the AD, for instance. If it is unorganized students it is just kids being kids.
Want to get official money, get ready for open involvement and direction from the University - 'who joins, who leads, what is acceptable, what is not' - it all comes with a price.
I know Half-fast plays adds in CEC - but I can't recall if they are official sponsors of the CUnit or not. I would think if I was in the CUnit leadership I would be working all the handshake, off the books, relationships I could. Get the manager at half-fast to run a special for anyone wearing a CUnit T-shirt. See if one of the members can get a job at a print shop and get an employee discount on the BuffChips printing. Approach individual donors about kicking a hundred bucks here or there when needed. If it needs to be more than that, it would seem like it is becoming more about the organization and less about students having fun at a game....?

Don't get me wrong - as a fan at the other end of the stadium I appreciate what the CUnit has done, but in the world of business, especially public institutionalized business - every organization has to weigh the costs and balances. Become official and the fun begins to become more sanitized and the policies of the parent institution begin to be applied. On the other hand remain independent with a vague relationship of tolerance with the university, and trade self determination for less funding and visibility.

C-Unit should become just like Utah's MUSS group: http://ulink.utah.edu/s/1077/index.aspx?sid=1077&gid=1&pgid=941

As a member of the football MUSS, you receive a reserved seat for each home football game. As a member of the basketball MUSS, you receive priority seating for certain basketball games.

MUSS members receive a one-of-a-kind MUSS T-shirt.

Football MUSS members are invited to attend a tailgate before each home football game. The tailgates include free food and prize giveaways. Football MUSS members are also given the opportunity to travel to an away game for a discounted price.

Basketball MUSS members are invited to attend a few pre-game parties before selected home basketball games. The pre-game parties include free food, prize giveaways, and a chalk talk by a basketball coach.

If you read the entire article at the above link, there's stuff about guest passes and other things. It's a very good setup.

C-Unit should become just like Utah's MUSS group: http://ulink.utah.edu/s/1077/index.aspx?sid=1077&gid=1&pgid=941

As a member of the football MUSS, you receive a reserved seat for each home football game. As a member of the basketball MUSS, you receive priority seating for certain basketball games.

MUSS members receive a one-of-a-kind MUSS T-shirt.

Football MUSS members are invited to attend a tailgate before each home football game. The tailgates include free food and prize giveaways. Football MUSS members are also given the opportunity to travel to an away game for a discounted price.

Basketball MUSS members are invited to attend a few pre-game parties before selected home basketball games. The pre-game parties include free food, prize giveaways, and a chalk talk by a basketball coach.

If you read the entire article at the above link, there's stuff about guest passes and other things. It's a very good setup.
Right, and Utah also charges their students almost 3 times the mandatory athletics fee that CU does ($28.50/semester vs $84.01/semester) and then charges each student who wants to be part of the MUSS $215. It is more beneficial for their AD to work with them because they are getting a pretty good chunk of change from the student body as a whole. I don't think CU students will be tripling their athletic donations any time soon.

Why again does the CUnit need sustained significant funding or corporate relationships?

Of course CU athletics is not going to be cool with having the CUnit recruit sponsors - they want companies to support them, not a non-affiliated random student group that is showing up at their events. If any unofficial sponsorship is done and advertised at games the CUnit could find out what an uncooperative AD looks like pretty quick. If the AD begins to act hand in hand with the CUnit, they have to become responsible for the content to some degree. Anything that looks like an official acceptance of the *uck 'em up cheer could bring down network wrath on the AD, for instance. If it is unorganized students it is just kids being kids.
Want to get official money, get ready for open involvement and direction from the University - 'who joins, who leads, what is acceptable, what is not' - it all comes with a price.
I know Half-fast plays adds in CEC - but I can't recall if they are official sponsors of the CUnit or not. I would think if I was in the CUnit leadership I would be working all the handshake, off the books, relationships I could. Get the manager at half-fast to run a special for anyone wearing a CUnit T-shirt. See if one of the members can get a job at a print shop and get an employee discount on the BuffChips printing. Approach individual donors about kicking a hundred bucks here or there when needed. If it needs to be more than that, it would seem like it is becoming more about the organization and less about students having fun at a game....?

Don't get me wrong - as a fan at the other end of the stadium I appreciate what the CUnit has done, but in the world of business, especially public institutionalized business - every organization has to weigh the costs and balances. Become official and the fun begins to become more sanitized and the policies of the parent institution begin to be applied. On the other hand remain independent with a vague relationship of tolerance with the university, and trade self determination for less funding and visibility.

I love this comment for a number of reasons and let me explain why. You have identified the EXACT essence of the complicated relationship the CUAD has had for 10 years with the CUnit. At times, in meetings, there has been very loud yelling. Anyway Half Fast is an official sponsor of the CUMBB team and a sponsor of the Tuba Cheer (which was WAY more fun years ago). A large supporter of the CUnit (have you tried the CUnit sandwich at half fast yet? it’s cheap as f*** on gameday) but NOT a direct sponsor. The leadership as far as I know has tried to expand relationships with other business in Boulder. Namely, Illegal Petes, The Sink etc. but any progress that is made is quickly tailored to the wants of the AD and not the needs CUnit. No trust. This bureaucracy is what keeps the CUnit from wanting to go build more of these relationships.

The CUnit is very close with the owners of half fast. They have shared graphics with Half Fast to use for flags etc.

Buffchips are printed by CU Marketing at no cost to the CUnit in exchange for censorship of the Buffchips. Trust me, the uncensored ones are genius.

Approaching specific donors for money here and there for ‘special projects’ is something that has been done now multiple times. Most recently the Lai’s at the LuOut game. THANKS ALLBUFFS!!!

Its obviously very complicated. But I would say the students in charge have done a remarkable job considering their constraints.

Question: what's the policy for single game student tickets to men's basketball games (i.e. how do students obtain them and is there a cost)? I started looking into this several weeks hoping my Buff daughter might come to a game with us, but Little H dashed those hopes before I found anything besides student season tickets. I'm sure single game tix are available for students, and my lazy searching notwithstanding, the athletic department doesn't make it easy. Of course, she probably received an email or info packet explaining the process that she never bothered to read.

Given student attendance at the last few games, I'd hope the administration would make it easy.

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=69327

Right, and Utah also charges their students almost 3 times the mandatory athletics fee that CU does ($28.50/semester vs $84.01/semester) and then charges each student who wants to be part of the MUSS $215. It is more beneficial for their AD to work with them because they are getting a pretty good chunk of change from the student body as a whole. I don't think CU students will be tripling their athletic donations any time soon.

Which tells another story about the innate student support for athletics at CU when compared to a conference rival.

Question: what's the policy for single game student tickets to men's basketball games (i.e. how do students obtain them and is there a cost)? I started looking into this several weeks hoping my Buff daughter might come to a game with us, but Little H dashed those hopes before I found anything besides student season tickets. I'm sure single game tix are available for students, and my lazy searching notwithstanding, the athletic department doesn't make it easy. Of course, she probably received an email or info packet explaining the process that she never bothered to read.

Given student attendance at the last few games, I'd hope the administration would make it easy.

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=69327
Someone currently there can speak to this better than I can. I believe they sold out of student season basketball tickets. It's first come, first serve for most of them. But the one with higher demand (like KU/UofA), they require you to get tickets in advance through whatever procedure CU chooses.

I believe for the Winter Break games, they might sell more GA tickets.

OK, so then we have 2k students whose parents bought them season tickets and aren't using them. :bang:

Assuming you're right, this gives an immediate avenue to address at least one prong of the problem: the students with season tickets need a convenient way to exchange them with other students and incentive to do so. That way the well-off kids who got season tix just for AZ and KU can share with those less fortunate.

Someone currently there can speak to this better than I can. I believe they sold out of student season basketball tickets. It's first come, first serve for most of them. But the one with higher demand (like KU/UofA), they require you to get tickets in advance through whatever procedure CU chooses.

I believe for the Winter Break games, they might sell more GA tickets.

OK, so then we have 2k students whose parents bought them season tickets and aren't using them. :bang:

Assuming you're right, this gives an immediate avenue to address at least one prong of the problem: the students with season tickets need a convenient way to exchange them with other students and incentive to do so. That way the well-off kids who got season tix just for AZ and KU can share with those less fortunate.
A few things if the students didn't pay: it's not like their parents are going to be most concerned if they are using the tickets as opposed to grades, staying out of trouble, etc. Second, it's a sunk cost. They already paid for the tickets, whether or not they go. Third, they buy those season tickets else they can't go to the marquee games.

I'm just not sure how much demand there is for the typical conference games especially on weekdays for an exchange. I think Spencer's injury took part of the wind out of this season especially for non-hardcore fans. Yeah before everyone jumps on me for that comment, they should be more motivated to go since this is one of the most exciting seasons in the past 50 years, but that obviously not enough.

Once the game starts they allow single game tickets for students to be purchased depending on the capacity of the student section. For example, the Washington game any student could get a single game ticket cause it wasn't full. It's five bucks at the student entrance on the right. If that doesn't work out get there early and by a standing room ticket. They go on sale on gameday and just sit in GA.

This is different than they'll pay for the tickets but not the lodging, food, and transportation involved like they previously announced or something to that extent?
Yep. I just got the email. I made the top 50 so I have the ticket. Couple issues. Talked to my finance professor and he refuses to let me take the Finance midterm which is on that Wednesday early. None of my friends went to enough games. And the expense of paying for a plane ticket and having a room by myself because I know no one causes some financial issues. Plus I'm 19 (late birthday) so the excitement of Vegas isn't quite there yet.

Yep. I just got the email. I made the top 50 so I have the ticket. Couple issues. Talked to my finance professor and he refuses to let me take the Finance midterm which is on that Wednesday early. None of my friends went to enough games. And the expense of paying for a plane ticket and having a room by myself because I know no one causes some financial issues. Plus I'm 19 (late birthday) so the excitement of Vegas isn't quite there yet.
your friends suck. make new ones from those chosen. I'm sure they will be putting the 50 in touch with each other.

your friends suck. make new ones from those chosen. I'm sure they will be putting the 50 in touch with each other.
Getting a 0 on the midterm is the biggest issue... Why professors cannot be accommodating for me to support CU can be frustrating.

Getting a 0 on the midterm is the biggest issue... Why professors cannot be accommodating for me to support CU can be frustrating.

I dont know who it is but I was told that one of the biggest dicks in regards to accommodating athletes schedules is a former athlete who is a teacher at CU.

I dont know who it is but I was told that one of the biggest dicks in regards to accommodating athletes schedules is a former athlete who is a teacher at CU.
That's ridiculous. No its a rich jewish guy from New York that teaches Intro to Finance ha.

Back