What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

ITT: We Discuss Students & Mike Bohn (For Some Reason)

I have major issues with anyone telling anyone else how to enjoy a game. I won't even ask the person in front of me to sit down if they choose to stand the whole game -- I'll either stand up also or move if I'm feeling too tired/old/decrepit (now, at a concert, I will ask people to STFU if they're consistently talking near me and interfering with my enjoyment of the performance).

... there have been a couple times where a chant is done wrong or something and they turn around and just yell at people. .... When an opposing team is shooting a free throw they keep telling the student section to sit down, so the guys in the costumes will stand out to distract the free throw shooter.

The one link I found speaking to this says student seating is first come - first serve at Coors for MBB. I think you're right to challenge the usher asking you to move. The costumed fans had the same opportunity you did to lineup before doors open and get a better seat -- I appreciate the passion of those students, but wearing a costume shouldn't entitle you to a better seat, IMO.

... He says that the first three rows are reserved for people who come to every game. Well I go to every game, but since I don't have a costume apparently I can't sit where I want in an open seating section. We move back two rows and he says we have to move back still. ...

I have major issues with anyone telling anyone else how to enjoy a game. I won't even ask the person in front of me to sit down if they choose to stand the whole game -- I'll either stand up also or move if I'm feeling too tired/old/decrepit (now, at a concert, I will ask people to STFU if they're consistently talking near me and interfering with my enjoyment of the performance).

The one link I found speaking to this says student seating is first come - first serve at Coors for MBB. I think you're right to challenge the usher asking you to move. The costumed fans had the same opportunity you did to lineup before doors open and get a better seat -- I appreciate the passion of those students, but wearing a costume shouldn't entitle you to a better seat, IMO.
Since that's the case, I'll take back what I said before regarding the most loyal fans. You're just as entitled to the seat as Buff Man. If Buff Man wants X seat, Buff Man has to get to the arena first.

I disagree with some of you on this.

For the group of students who are active in the C-Unit, come to all the games, lead & teach the cheers, organize the students, promote the games, get dressed up, etc.... it's not only fair but logistically appropriate for them to have as many rows up front as their active membership requires.

For the group of students who are active in the C-Unit, come to all the games, lead & teach the cheers, organize the students, promote the games, get dressed up, etc.... it's not only fair but logistically appropriate for them to have as many rows up front as their active membership requires.

I'm not sure where I stand on this. But one thing to point out is that there are apparently claims that they are not organizing students at large and are instead driving them away by being unwelcoming and condescending. I'm not sure if the claims of such are true or not. It's also worth considering that FightCU was trying to bring his brother, who is not a student and not a regular attendee, to the game and occupy a prime spot in the section that is intended for students. Again, I'm not sure how I feel about this either as I think it's reasonable to allow non-students (ie visiting friends, etc.) to sit in the student section if there is room for them.

I guess I'm generally of the belief that if it is a GA section, it should be first come, first served, with no savesies. However, that would not preclude the university from designating the first row or whatever to the CUnit leaders, but I think that row would need to be officially designated as such in the seating chart so instances like the one FightCU described do not occur.

I'm not sure where I stand on this. But one thing to point out is that there are apparently claims that they are not organizing students at large and are instead driving them away by being unwelcoming and condescending. I'm not sure if the claims of such are true or not. It's also worth considering that FightCU was trying to bring his brother, who is not a student and not a regular attendee, to the game and occupy a prime spot in the section that is intended for students. Again, I'm not sure how I feel about this either as I think it's reasonable to allow non-students (ie visiting friends, etc.) to sit in the student section if there is room for them.

I guess I'm generally of the belief that if it is a GA section, it should be first come, first served, with no savesies. However, that would not preclude the university from designating the first row or whatever to the CUnit leaders, but I think that row would need to be officially designated as such in the seating chart so instances like the one FightCU described do not occur.
This is true, but I would argue that if I was with my friends who also regularly attend games the same thing would've happened and I purposely wasn't in the first two rows because I knew those kids who normally sit there would like to sit there. It's like a huge lecture you sit in the same spot every day. I don't want my message to come off like I am pissed off at the C-Unit or that those kids get to sit in the first rows. They should and I personally like being a little higher up or off to the side because I think its a better view. I was just giving an example or a couple examples where other students may feel a little excluded from the leaders of the C-unit. I like the C-Unit and don't have a problem with them at all.

I do have some ideas though to bridge the gap between the C-Unit and the rest of the student population. I get that if you suddenly have 500 people in the C-Unit and are able to go to meetings nothing will get done. The size of the actual C-Unit is just fine, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to get input from others. I think they can fall into the trap that what they want might not be what everyone else wants like the banana dancing while everyone sits down. On the gold pieces of paper that they put out before games, why don't they put their email address and take some ideas or concerns from the rest of the students. If they take the time to actually read the thing and send an email, they probably are passionate fans with good ideas. They can invite a select few (I don't think they will get a whole lot of emails) to their meetings and discuss this. From a business standpoint, the C-Unit needs to do a SWOT analysis. So many good things can come from that and they can continue on their strengths and revise some of their weaknesses and realize how big of an opportunity they have that really no other student group at CU has.

That's an ineffective stick, when a more effective carrot is probably the appropriate course of action. Seriously, you're going to tell the students "show up or we will sell your seats", when they don't use the seats anyway? That's just another "F you" to the students. Hardly what we need to be doing right now.

Exactly. Cutting student seats anyhow is a short-term answer that has negative long-term impact. Our student body aren't the types who respond well to move-it-or-lose-it demands.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this earlier in the thread, but did anybody happen to watch the CSU - Utah State game the other night? Attendance was absolutely pathetic. It was one of those broadcast where you could hear individual people yelling stuff from the stands, and the empty seats were apparent from every angle.

Not sure why I bring this up, except that it made me appreciate again how far we have come.

Uhhh... No. Why would I watch that game?

I actually try to watch Utah St. every time they are on TV. I love the way stew morrill teams play, he's a very underrated coach, he's got them playing pretty well in their first year in the MWC.

No excuses are being made for the students why cant anyone see that? thier effort realitve to last year sucks, but so does the admin. Which is controllable? the behavior of 2500 18-22 year olds? Or the behavior of a paid professional staff? Is it really that ****ign difficult to grasp that we arent Duke, Carolina, Arizona? or some other mythical NCAAM team? this is Colorado, as most of our opponents like to remind us we are fairly sure Tad invented basketball in 2010. Until the school realizes who we are and adapts to it to build the following then this will always be an issue unless we are surprisingly good.

I guess I must have imagined mid-terms, skiing, the cold, the Broncos, Christmas break, and traffic having been brought up in previous threads as well as in this thread.

I wholeheartedly agree with CU building and adapting, but those aren't mutually exclusive in regards to flighty students and the excuses that have been made on their behalf by people on this site.

Last edited:

Yeah that's fine, just put out there that it's not first come, first serve. As it's stated in the rules right now, they shouldn't get priority.

Agree with you here the thing is we need a budget to fund the CUnit to run promo's marketing etc. If we cut a few hundred seats and sell those we could have a self funding budget for the CUnit 2,000 fans that show up every game is better for the atmosphere than getting 1500 most games and the occasional 2500.

The CUnit has requested for a funding stream officially on multiple occasions and it has never been granted on a basis of “distracting donors from other avenues of donation"

Not surprised - CU AD (And general admin for that matter) is usually step behind and a dollar short of everything

Not surprised - CU AD (And general admin for that matter) is usually step behind and a dollar short of everything

Tru dat.

Like here’s another one: Why, after 10 years and a halftime ceremony done by CUMBB, is there not even ONE mention of the CUnit on CUBuffs.com. There is a real story here obviously, something that would at the VERY LEAST appear to suggest that the AD had an equity stake in the success of the CUnit long term but no. Nothing. I’d say thats a problem.

Also, in therms of the whole reserving seats in the first few rows. I have intimate knowledge that the CUnit leadership is opposed to this and is doing away with it next season for all the reasons mentioned. The kids in these seats are entitled for no reason other than building a relationship with the ARGUS security team to save them seats cause “thats the way it is.” The ONLY reserved seats in the student section will be reserved for the students that come 2hrs pre-tipoff (usually before the TEAM gets there) and sets up the student section with paper, buffchips, bigheads, etc...

Tru dat.

Like here’s another one: Why, after 10 years and a halftime ceremony done by CUMBB, is there not even ONE mention of the CUnit on CUBuffs.com. There is a real story here obviously, something that would at the VERY LEAST appear to suggest that the AD had an equity stake in the success of the CUnit long term but no. Nothing. I’d say thats a problem.

Also, in therms of the whole reserving seats in the first few rows. I have intimate knowledge that the CUnit leadership is opposed to this and is doing away with it next season for all the reasons mentioned. The kids in these seats are entitled for no reason other than building a relationship with the ARGUS security team to save them seats cause “thats the way it is.” The ONLY reserved seats in the student section will be reserved for the students that come 2hrs pre-tipoff (usually before the TEAM gets there) and sets up the student section with paper, buffchips, bigheads, etc...
Nice!!

CU athletics is in the ENTERTAINMENT business. They are a multi-million dollar business competing with all the other entertainment options available including pro sports, participation sports (skiing, etc.,) the movies, TV, etc. You would think that at some point somebody would recognize this.

Two issues they should realize in light of this. One is the the students and their enthusiasm is a part of the appeal to those who pay significant amounts of money for tickets, both basketball and football. Lots of people on this board go to both CU games and Broncos and Nuggets games. We know that the pros have better athletes, what the pros don't have is the college atmosphere and the students are a big part of that.

Secondly when the difference between customers returning or not is often customer service I wonder if they have closely evaluated the job the ARGUS does and considered alternatives that may be more customer friendly.

CU athletics is in the ENTERTAINMENT business. They are a multi-million dollar business competing with all the other entertainment options available including pro sports, participation sports (skiing, etc.,) the movies, TV, etc. You would think that at some point somebody would recognize this.

get's it

The CUnit has requested for a funding stream officially on multiple occasions and it has never been granted on a basis of “distracting donors from other avenues of donation"

I am not talking a donor funded stream, sell 500 of the students 2500 seats back to the school, create a self funding environment, meet business with business.

I am not talking a donor funded stream, sell 500 of the students 2500 seats back to the school, create a self funding environment, meet business with business.

The CUnit doesn’t own the seats. We “sell” them back to the school? huh. The AD owns them. They aren’t going to give that money to the CUnit, they are going to put it into the same pool of dollars that is funding only ONE thing - the excellence in sustainability epic cool we’re going to be so great in football lets not support college basketball program or whatever they are calling it.

Two issues they should realize in light of this. One is the the students and their enthusiasm is a part of the appeal to those who pay significant amounts of money for tickets, both basketball and football. Lots of people on this board go to both CU games and Broncos and Nuggets games. We know that the pros have better athletes, what the pros don't have is the college atmosphere and the students are a big part of that.

Secondly when the difference between customers returning or not is often customer service I wonder if they have closely evaluated the job the ARGUS does and considered alternatives that may be more customer friendly.

You are spot on my friend. In fact, if CU were smart than we would be having a 'Dave Matthew’s Live at Folsom Field’ sized event EVERY WEEKEND at CU do raise money. How has nobody thought of that? You know how much $$$ a concert like that can make a for school.

You are spot on my friend. In fact, if CU were smart than we would be having a 'Dave Matthew’s Live at Folsom Field’ sized event EVERY WEEKEND at CU do raise money. How has nobody thought of that? You know how much $$$ a concert like that can make a for school.

CU isn't interested in concerts at Folsom. There was a time when Folsom hosted a lot of concerts. The school views big concerts like that as a hassle and not worth the effort.

CU isn't interested in concerts at Folsom. There was a time when Folsom hosted a lot of concerts. The school views big concerts like that as a hassle and not worth the effort.

I went to a couple back when they were holding them. Good venue but the neighborhoods around made a lot of complaints because of noise, parking, trash, drunken concert goers, etc.

Don't remember exactly what the final resolution was but the result was an end to the frequent concerts there.

Back