What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

J-Fly Bye Bye?

I love that commercial where the hot chick can't reach the chips and the guy asks her if she needs help and she says yes and he hands her his beer then climbs up on the first shelf and jumps and knocks all the racks down like dominos then has this stupid look on his face and says to her, "you all right?" :lol: :huh:

yeah some threads on rivals have posters who are "in the know" and their track record speaks for it, thats why people pay for it (wow!). and you said "So yeah, playing time is part of both guys' decisions." i'm not going to argue with you, think believe know what you want. have a good night z.

"think believe know what you want"

what the hell does that mean? :lol:

if it means I'd rather have my 100 bucks and suppose rather than "know" I'll keep the money, thank you very much

"think believe know what you want"

what the hell does that mean? :lol:

if it means I'd rather have my 100 bucks and suppose rather than "know" I'll keep the money, thank you very much

forgot the commas.

no problem at all. 9 bucks a month to me is smoking two less packs of cigarettes. im doing myself a favor AND knowing. :smile2:

I get it that josh should be able to transfer to any school but for people here to act like this isn't a bunch of crap by Josh then take off the blinders. You are a starter you're going into your junior year and NOW you want to leave to pursue a music degree to rap at another school?

Let's come up with something better than that and I doubt many starters going into their junior year transfer to another school.

Bohn may be acting butt hurt , but this decision by josh is a joke and makes no sense, especially when he starts and will be a junior.
I understand josh is a kid, but he made a decision and while Clemons had a coach leave and does not fit the team play any longer, Josh was brought here by this coach for this style of play. All he has to do anyway is stick with it for a year and a half and then go pursue rap.

You missed your chance to call Sacky an 'Idot'. Jus' sayin'.:smile2:

Complete speculation here but I wonder if Bohn has some reason to believe that someone is tampering with Josh, a little "talk to your friend and tell him that he is more than welcome here" stuff.

If that is the case then Bohn would be very justified in what he is doing.

I think Bohn is trying to avoid him leaving and dragging Five Star with him.

You don't know that a rap music degree will do nothing for him. It's not like the only thing you can do with that degree is perform. You can produce, too. I'm sure that USC, being at ground zero for that industry, is a good place to learn. Lots of contacts to be made there.

If that is truly what is behind all this, then he should have no problem whatsoever with what Bohn proposed. However, he has appealed it, which leads me to believe he wants to play football somewhere else - namely ASU.

This whole thing has Dennis Erickson's stench all over it, the more I think about it.

I agree with the D.Eck part. It smells fishy.

I think it is pretty clear that they are limiting the release to USC because USC is the one school he is interested in where he has very little chance of getting a scholarship offer. That is too much to be coincidence.

It is also extremely tasteless, IMO, to **** with a young man's future to prove a point. It is clear that CU is not working out for Josh, and I suspect, as I'm sure many of you do as well, the reason has nothing to do with his hip hop aspirations.

By limiting his release to USC only, Bohn is effectively attempting to kill his football career and, potentially, his ability to get a college degree. Basically, he could be ruining Josh's entire future. Is this what we want our AD doing? Look beyond the program, it's just a ****ty thing to do to another person, and I'm shocked that any of you support it.

Bohn is calling BS to JS. Good for him. Quit the team and go transfer somewhere else. Play DII ball where he can pursue a rap degree. But tell us where he is going to go before we release him.

Stop it with the "ruining Josh's entire future" garbage. He's gone to a great university for 2 years for FREE because he can run fast an catch a ball...sometimes. Now he wants to go somewhere else, and he's free to go - all he has to do is pay his own way (or get loans) like the rest of us for 1 year before he can be put back on scholarship.

Poor guy, I wish I had it as tough as he does when I went to school.

Yep. he can pay, get student loans like most kids have to do for one year. Then he can sign with whoever he wants to.

Oh, please. :rolleyes:

If this is all about getting a degree in rap, then Josh shouldn't have any issues with it at all. But that's not the case, is it? He's appealing the ruling to some kind of academic board. It's clear to me that there's a lot more to the story than what is being let out. What that is I'm not sure, but I'm certain that there's more to the story. I suspect the rap thing is a ruse to get an easy out, and Bohn called him on it. Good for Bohn. Bohn ain't running a charity here. Josh Smith is, in my opinion, a talented football player who would continue to grow here. He's decided this isn't the place for him. Fine. But if you're going to do that, you need to be prepared to face the consequences of your actions.
This

Does anyone for a moment suspect that Darrell Scott is the mastermind behind all of this transfer drama?

Darrell was pretty good about playing up the NLOI drama between CU and Texas.

Maybe I'm a pollyanna. But if Darrell is anything other than a harmless bystander in Josh's transfer journey, then I'm buying it hook, line and sinker.

No, I don't think this is brought about by DS. I think JS is kind of a primadonna-- crying 'look at me' for attention. I think if he would just be completly honest (just my gut feeling that he isn't at this point) with Hawk and Bohn, he would get a release.

As many others have said, there is more to this story that we aren't hearing. ADs just don't do this sort of thing for no reason.

You betcha. He's getting a great education and he doesn't have to pay a dime for it.

damn straight...I am tired of everybody talking about how a) these guys need to make money...which would copletely ruin college football btw...and b) that it isn't actually free.

Alot of these guys are coming from out of state and would have to pay out of state tuition which, according to the CU website is as follows:

Tuition and Fees$26,756
On-Campus Room and Board $9,860
Books/Supplies$1,749
On-Campus
Estimated Total2
$38,365

All free for the athlete. Not to mention that the individual is also receiving one of the best eduacational opportunities one can receive from a public institution. Oh and, BTW, the average income for a CU graduate in 2009...$49,624. Sounds like a pretty ****in good deal to me!

There has been some comparison between Josh and Matt Ballenger.

I've read that Matt's father was involved in the decission and engaged in communication with the program prior to the transfer.

It makes me wonder who is there to be an adult advocate, counsellor and facilitator for Josh. It would be easier to choose a side if I knew there was a parent or guardian standing up for Josh in a similar way that Matt's dad did for Matt. Maybe there is, and I just don't know about it.

There has been some comparison between Josh and Matt Ballenger.

I've read that Matt's father was involved in the decission and engaged in communication with the program prior to the transfer.

It makes me wonder who is there to be an adult advocate, counsellor and facilitator for Josh. It would be easier to choose a side if I knew there was a parent or guardian standing up for Josh in a similar way that Matt's dad did for Matt. Maybe there is, and I just don't know about it.

I think I can see Dennis Erickson raising his hand to volunteer for that position...

All free for the athlete. Not to mention that the individual is also receiving one of the best eduacational opportunities one can receive from a public institution. Oh and, BTW, the average income for a CU graduate in 2009...$49,624. Sounds like a pretty ****in good deal to me!

Not if you're a big time rapper....:smile2:

i was talking to one of my brothers about this circumstance and that is exactly what he said. he is a season ticket holder, parks in the gold lot and is a grad of the CU dental school.

my thing was that JS could play out his time at CU and get some sort of business/management degree with his scholarship and play ball. the USC rap degree is going no where. after school/ball at CU, he could go to SC, get that rap/music degree and move on from there. however, he would still have the benifit of a business/managment degree from CU, played ball and be an impact player, fulfill he agreement to CU and move on to his next step in life afterwards to SC for the rap/music degree.

he basically said that is what he would tell his kid and probably what our dad would have told us. however, we can not assume that josh has that sort of guidance in his life. my brother said most of these kids dont come from the same atmosphere that we did and dont have those benifits. i suppose there is some truth to that and i agree with him.

my point is not to imply that my brother, my dad nor my take is any better than the path JS has chosen. only he will know that. the point was to agree with skids take as i too wonder if he has that sort of influence like that in his life. he may and they are in complete agreement with his path. if that is the case. that is great.

i dont know the answer. as with skid, i do wonder though.

Last edited:
Just heard an interesting discussion about JFly on the radio. At lunch, I listen, don't ask why, to that moron, Gil Whitely on 1510. He had the Post's Chris Dempsey on. Whitely LOVES to bash CU. He kept claiming that Smith is leaving because CU doesn't have a QB that can get him the ball.

Dempsey, who must cover the Buffs, said that aside from the music thing, JFly frustrated the staff because of his lack of work ethic. Not only did he struggle a bit in the classroom, but he didn't put in the effort in studying film or the play book. Last season, he went to the staff and told them that the offense was too confusing to him and he wanted them to simplify it. From then on, JFly only ran out of one set rather than multiple sets. So Dempsey argued that the reason JFly didn't get the ball much was that he became easy to defend. The other team always knew where he was going to line up and could put their best CB on him.

Dempsey, who must cover the Buffs, said that aside from the music thing, JFly frustrated the staff because of his lack of work ethic. Not only did he struggle a bit in the classroom, but he didn't put in the effort in studying film or the play book. Last season, he went to the staff and told them that the offense was too confusing to him and he wanted them to simplify it. From then on, JFly only ran out of one set rather than multiple sets. So Dempsey argued that the reason JFly didn't get the ball much was that he became easy to defend. The other team always knew where he was going to line up and could put their best CB on him.

If this is true, I think maybe it is for the best he finds another place to play.

I really wanted to see a Hawkins pass hit Josh in stride. Other than the WVU TD reception, there are few memorable catches where Josh and Cody were on the same page. Josh frequently had to slow down or come back for passes. These mid-throw adjustments cost the CU offense much YAC from throws to Josh. That could either be on Cody or on Josh.

McKnight was consistenly in the right place at the right time to convert a on a clutch 3rd down play.

Because of the chemistry between McKnight and Hawkins, I tend to believe that a lot of Josh's troubles have to do with not consistantly running crisp routes. He was also not able to pull off any tippy toe catches on the sidelines or in the back of the endzone, which was a frustration to me.

IMO, Josh shoulders more responsibility than Cody when it comes to steping up and making plays. But that does not excuse Cody from all those batted passes and interceptions.

Should Josh end up with a different team and a different QB, I would like to see how he does. If he finds great chemistry with the ASU QB or with some other program, I'd be delighted to change my opinion.

I really wanted to see a Hawkins pass hit Josh in stride. Other than the WVU TD reception, there are few memorable catches where Josh and Cody were on the same page. Josh frequently had to slow down or come back for passes. These mid-throw adjustments cost the CU offense much YAC from throws to Josh. That could either be on Cody or on Josh.

McKnight was consistenly in the right place at the right time to convert a on a clutch 3rd down play.

Because of the chemistry between McKnight and Hawkins, I tend to believe that a lot of Josh's troubles have to do with not consistantly running crisp routes. He was also not able to pull off any tippy toe catches on the sidelines or in the back of the endzone, which was a frustration to me.

IMO, Josh shoulders more responsibility than Cody when it comes to steping up and making plays. But that does not excuse Cody from all those batted passes and interceptions.

Should Josh end up with a different team and a different QB, I would like to see how he does. If he finds great chemistry with the ASU QB or with some other program, I'd be delighted to change my opinion.

He won't do any better anywhere else. he wants it to come easy to him, he does not want to work for it. Nobody is interested in dumbing down a college playbook for him. A lessor talent WR will be better than the talented one who is not willing to work for anything. The more I hear about this, the gladder I am that he is gone. Get people who are willing to work hard.

He won't do any better anywhere else. he wants it to come easy to him, he does not want to work for it. Nobody is interested in dumbing down a college playbook for him. A lessor talent WR will be better than the talented one who is not willing to work for anything. The more I hear about this, the gladder I am that he is gone. Get people who are willing to work hard.
Damned straight. :thumbsup:

Too bad we can't clone Parker Orm's attitude. The opposite of everything above.

I'll admit it: I'm still holding hope that this whole Josh thing will turn out differently than it looks. That he'll explore his options and say, wow, I had it pretty good at CU wearing my nifty #1 jersey and playing with some good guys. That he would come back with the will to work hard and win. Yeah, it's unrealistic, but stranger things have happened.

Even the Rockies went to the World Series once. Never saw that coming.

That's why Bo Pellini told QB patrick witt to hit the road. These kids need to learn that hard work benifits the whole team because if the leaders are working hard the others usually follow.

That's why Bo Pellini told QB patrick witt to hit the road. These kids need to learn that hard work benifits the whole team because if the leaders are working hard the others usually follow.

No.... Witt left because he wanted a better education that Nebraska can't offer

Wait, didn't Smith say that was the reason he left? I like to hurl stones at huskers as much as the next guy, but they've got to be credible stones.

Wait, didn't Smith say that was the reason he left? I like to hurl stones at huskers as much as the next guy, but they've got to be credible stones.

No that's actually why Witt left... hence the move to the Ivy League

No that's actually why Witt left... hence the move to the Ivy League

Fair enough. For some reason I thought it was a situation like Josh's where he said he left for reasons surrounding education, but issues with team/work dynamic were truly at the heart of the problem.

i hope jfly comes back and makes you all eat your ****ing words.

Hey, man, some of us are true believers...

I'll admit it: I'm still holding hope that this whole Josh thing will turn out differently than it looks. That he'll explore his options and say, wow, I had it pretty good at CU wearing my nifty #1 jersey and playing with some good guys. That he would come back with the will to work hard and win. Yeah, it's unrealistic, but stranger things have happened.

Even the Rockies went to the World Series once. Never saw that coming.

So when witt and his dad met with pellini and told him that he wanted to be named the starting QB before the start of spring practice that had to do with education?

So when witt and his dad met with pellini and told him that he wanted to be named the starting QB before the start of spring practice that had to do with education?

From what I've read that's nothing more then pure speculation. The fact of the matter is he transferred to an Ivy League program (Yale).

In this article he flat out denies your claim that Witt and his dad met with Pelini (Umm you might want to spell your own coaches' name right Bug Boy). He also acknowledges it as an academic decision. From the World-Herald Exclusive:

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/...elini,-and-transferred-for-academic-reasons.-

Last edited:
i hope jfly comes back and makes you all eat your ****ing words.
Me too. I'd gladly have him back. But if he comes back, I hope he grows up in the process. Hey, I was a dumbass kid once myself. I also have a couple of 'em. Nothing wrong with growing up.

Back