What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jay Johnson

Trump's Eunuch

I'm 6'4" and "own a gym" (not in my basement)
This Stanford game was his worst play calling all year. First series, Montez has success running the zone read and then Johnson doesn't call another one until the fourth quarter.

I'm no football expert but it's ****ing clear as day, the short down run play with the receiver in motion fake to him run up the middle with a kick out block by the te takes way too long to develop. Any decent defense should stop it and it really hasn't worked since ****braska.

Side note I think Summers called one of his better games. Different pre snap looks, new blitzes and even a couple stunts. Boys on d played great

I thought he improved as the game went along but way too many three and outs. Summers impressed me, D seems to be improving, slowly.

Also I can't remember who you are but whoever replied to me saying Mustafa Johnson was the best of a weak bunch, go **** yourself. Our d line boys showed up and we finally get some ****ing calls minus two clear holds against them

Brevity is your friend.

So the topic of that was I think the wr sweep fake run up the middle w kick out block takes too long to develop. U disagree or what?

Edit: it's a poorly design play for the way Jay uses it

Also I can't remember who you are but whoever replied to me saying Mustafa Johnson was the best of a weak bunch, go **** yourself. Our d line boys showed up and we finally get some ****ing calls minus two clear holds against them
That was probably me. The DL played well. Stanford O is not good. Their OL was decimated. CU needs to get better on the DL. Mel knows this. Thus the focus on this unit in their recruiting efforts.

It seemed like a very conservative game plan. Seems someone figured out relying on Montez to make big throws isn't going to happen, so we ran and dinked and dunked and played a Stanford like game. It worked!

It seemed like a very conservative game plan. Seems someone figured out relying on Montez to make big throws isn't going to happen, so we ran and dinked and dunked and played a Stanford like game. It worked!

Idk if cheat code viska doesn't completely truck that dude a la Chris brown and Lawrence Vickers on 4 and one it might not have worked

That was probably me. The DL played well. Stanford O is not good. Their OL was decimated. CU needs to get better on the DL. Mel knows this. Thus the focus on this unit in their recruiting efforts.
It was probably me. DL played their best game all year including he early games. First time all season we have had any kind of regular pressure generated by the defensive linemen without having extra men coming to confuse the OL.

Mustafa is going to be on an NFL roster next year (or the year after if he stays another year) but it won't be based on his pass rush abilities. Today he actually showed some effective moves but he wasn't beating a very good guy. Lang as well beat the OT one on one and got to the QB.

How many games have we moved “CU down the field” our first possession then nada the rest of the game? I’m sure it’s only been a couple but in my mind it’s like Ground Hog Day.
I guess you want your rocking chair to "move down the field "during the entire game, too, eh??

(Pssst! Rumor has it: Stamfurd also has some players on scholarship, who want to win! Even Valor Christian, with their 23 ex-NFL player/coaches and a hand-picked, recruited roster, doesn't score on every drive)

I guess you want your rocking chair to "move down the field "during the entire game, too, eh??

(Pssst! Rumor has it: Stamfurd also has some players on scholarship, who want to win! Even Valor Christian, with their 23 ex-NFL player/coaches and a hand-picked, recruited roster, doesn't score on every drive)
Pretty snarky response. I don’t expect them to score every drive. But against Air Force, for one example, we moved quickly down and scored on our opening drive and then didn’t score until the fourth quarter. Same with Stanford. I just would like to see more consistency. On paper we have pretty decent talent on the offensive side.

The jet sweep at the goaline takes too long to develop
If you're watching mnf the Ravens are running the play as cu should inside the 10. They're using the te motion as kick out or throw to the flat. Using a wr for a shovel pass with a read option is too slow inside the 10!!!! It needs to be a rpo to the flat. I'm done

You guys think we see a change here? A few weeks ago it seemed that staff changes would be mostly focused on defense, but that unit actually showed signs of life down the stretch.

I can’t really say the same about the offense. Even in the wins against Stanford and Washington, they weren’t super impressive.

I actually like Jay Johnson’s offense. He has a lot of well designed plays. The play calling however is a big problem. You know how coaches script the first 10 or so plays of the game? Well it feels like Johnson scripts the entire game and doesn’t deviate from the plan regardless of what’s happening on the field

Johnson will be back. Hopefully he adds that utah play to #80 to his play calling resume next season. That play to Viska would have been deadly.

The last 3 games the offense has score 16, 20, and 15 points. Given that CU scored more against Utah than almost every other team that played Utah, there certainly was a season long overall lack of production on the offensive side of the ball. The question that HCMT will be looking to answer will revolve around whether the fail was due to scheme, talent, execution, or coaching. The running game looked stronger than I expected, while the passing game was a major disappointment. We will see how HCMT feels the best solution for 2020 will be in the off season, but my guess is that he will give the staff another year to implement their plan and then make changes if there is another season of anemic offense.

Last edited:
This is an unpopular opinion to many ABers, but I think our offensive scheme and design was one of the best we’ve had in a long time. Multiple looks, commitment to the run, and well designed plays to get players open. There were stretches where the play calling was suspect (ala throwing the ball deep over and over while having the lead in the 4th), but we didn’t see those types of things become trends which tells me they are learning and adapting.

Best coached CU team we’ve had since Barnett overall. No concerns from me bringing them all back.

I wasn’t very impressed with the play calling. Our passing scheme lacks imagination. On a couple of passing down plays last night the field camera behind Montez showed absolutely zero receivers downfield over the middle. The middle of the field looked like a barren wasteland.

Of course mine is a very simplistic view based more on impression than analysis. Finally, I think Chev has the potential to be a better play caller. I think having been in that position then sitting out a year and observing will make him better if given another opportunity.

Back