What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jon Embree fired as CU Football HC

Thank god we have no Auburn fans here ...

So...how much do you have to spend on a new coach and staff? Which staff remains for now?

BTW, enjoy the hundreds of new threads that this will spawn ranging from donors, recruits, team uniforms, and whether or not CU is already in contact with coaches. Congrats on pulling the trigger and enjoy the ride.

So...how much do you have to spend on a new coach and staff? Which staff remains for now?

BTW, enjoy the hundreds of new threads that this will spawn ranging from donors, recruits, team uniforms, and whether or not CU is already in contact with coaches. Congrats on pulling the trigger and enjoy the ride.

We know how this goes as we did it 2 years ago. It's you pansy bears who are the n00bs here.

Thank you, Thank you CU Administration for showing a commitment to football.

Great work everybody involved in letting the administration know that the state of our football program was unacceptable.

Good luck to Embree and staff in their future endeavors. I know that they cared, and I am still proud to call them great Buffs.

Don't forget to go back to the Regents and let them know you are on back on board, and that the check is in the mail. :thumbsup:

I'm glad it was done now. Next year would have gotten ugly. I didn't want to see that happen with JE and EB.

I've been selling software for a long time and if ANYBODY performs at 16% of quota over a 6 month period, let alone 2 years, you get fired. Management does not want to hear excuses; my territory sucks, my clients don't like me, etc. If you do not produce you get fired. That's called life.

Yeah, glad we got them out of here before things got ugly...

Yeah you guys are happy embo is gone but the players are not and from what I heard a lot of the players told bohnhead he was full of **** so expect a lot of tranfers cause a lot of parent put their trust and got familar with the coaching staff CU will never get it right when they keep changing coaches period ...........NO Continuity things have been ugly for some years now!

Yeah you guys are happy embo is gone but the players are not and from what I heard a lot of the players told bohnhead he was full of **** so expect a lot of tranfers cause a lot of parent put their trust and got familar with the coaching staff CU will never get it right when they keep changing coaches period ...........NO Continuity things have been ugly for some years now!

Give us a break....this is part of the deal that the players signed up for....a deal that gives them a full ride. Coaches get fired all of the time. So suck it up or get lost.

I remember when John Blake was fired. OU players were outraged. Swore they would transfer.

2 years later they hoisted BCS crystal football.

Football players know how this works. Don't perform, get fired. This is not a surprise for them.

Like many I saw the writing that this change had to be made - but I do want to credit JE and his staff for their effort to pass the tradition and character of the CU Football Program on to a new generation. Regrettably they were unable to instill the winning part of that tradition. I am guessing that the young men who played for coach Embree will take away lessons of seeing a man put all of his passion into his work, and whatever the failings that is worthy of respect. All the best to all the members of the staff. I sincerely hope that the new staff will continue to foster the support of the Buffs alumni that has grown in the past two years. It would be a shame to see the alienation return.

Go Buffs!

Good luck to Embree and Bieniemy. They did not work out, but they are great Buffs. And though a change was definitely necessary, they did make many improvements to the team, including bringing in a strong freshman class and improving academics and restoring traditions. It would be great to keep them involved with the program or more realistically, get them back involved some day.

Sorry Embree is gone but as an ex player and a parent I understand just hate that we really grew to like the coaching staff and they are gone already.

Yeah...like most everyone, I am sorry it came down to this with one of our own. It would have been much easier to have made this decision had the staff not been made up of our heroes. I have to say though, even with all the obvious uncertainty and learning curve a new coaching staff brings to the situation, it provides immediate hope for the future. I thought we were likely looking at another bad year next then and THEN firing Embree (and if that had turned out to be the case, it almost certainly would have been worse in every possible respect).

It sucks. This is a guy that had it been able to work would have stayed until his dying day. But you really had to have rose-colored glasses to have seen any progress to this point (and while he might have pulled it out next year...the odds were against it. How would everyone feel if he had won 4 games next year? Joyful at the "progress"? Or ready to start afresh?).

I feel for Jon and I hope he doesn't hold it against us. There's really no way to defend the worst season in CU history though (especially when last year was so bad as well). Usually if you DON'T fire a coach after the school's worst season ever it's a bad sign...

Good luck Jon...and EB, and KB...(and Cabral too?). We will always love you guys. This ain't a Hawkins situation in that respect. We appreciate you trying...

Last edited:
I'm not cheering or mourning the departure of Embree. I would never question his commitment to CU; he gave far more than I could ever give to the school in a 1000 years. Thank you, Jon.

I'd be more than fine with Calhoun. Knows how to coach to his talent, no matter how you measure his recruiting. There is no equivalent to recruiting outside a service academy, so I think that's a false comparison. Not many better options that are *reasonable* given where we are in administration support, facilities, and alumni donations.. Sure I'd rather have Les Miles, but I'd also rather have invisibility powers too.

Last edited:
Good lord, no more I-25 hires. Calhoun would be an epic fail.
:yeahthat: I really think we need to go the BCS head coach/coordinator route. I ache for Jon, his staff, and the kids, but this was a very necessary move.

The thing that is hard to remember in all this is; this isn't Jons fault. We all hated that Hawk destroyed the CU traditions, and the push to bring back those traditions almost...or did....overrode the fact that we brought in a HC, OC, and DC with no experience. It wasn't Jons fault that he took the job. He was hurting for CU under the thrashing that was it took under Hawk, and would die to bring it back to prominence.

If sheer desire and will could resurrect a program, Jon and Eric would have done it. But CU hired them on the cheap to see if they could do it, even though they had not aquired the skillset to do so. This choice was on the CU admin. Maybe not Bohn, but someone.

My sincere hope is that Jon and EB humble themselves and do what it takes to get back in the fray and rightfully earn the OC positions they need to hold, and gain that experience. Mid major or lower, kick ass, then be a Second or third stop here or another BCS program.....and then be a rightful candidate for CU down the road. Maybe even be a HC at a lower level and kick ass there.

With the proper experience and success at a lower level, I would welcome them back. Because I don't look at there time here as a failure just on them; rather, they failed only because we put them in a situation where the odds were heavily stacked against them..

I am sorry that we put our heroes in a position to fail us as mere mortals. I sincerely hope that their careers recover from the bad position we put them in and they have the chance to return someday. (with a new upper management team that fully supports football).

I also hope that we don't go with the easy I-25 hire. I would like Stitt more than Calhoun, but want ten other people before either one of those. Now the ND defensive coordinator, with Stitt as the OC....all over that team.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Back