What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

Unless EB comes in it Chevs job for a year... keeping him for 1 year at least will keep the class and roster together and can do a full search next year if it all goes horribly wrong.

CU football has been a dumpster fire for 15 years another year of smoldering embers wont make much difference
In your scenario, how in the world does CU recruit well, for, you know, next year's class? A "one year" head coach = worst 2021 class in the P5, and probably competing for worst in all of FBS.

Recruiting for 2021 doesn't magically start at the of the 2020 season and end on signing day.

2x top 25 recruiter nationally. Current roster, almost to a man, has been advocating for him. Least amount of disruption to the current program/culture. Familiarity with CU's recruiting footprint.

I understand the hesitation. He hasn't done ANYTHING at the college level that identifies him as the next up and coming guy at this point. But sometimes a guy just has "it" and you make the rest work. You have obviously had guys like Dabo, Fleck, Orgeron, etc. that have made it work, so it can.

At the time the current basketball roster didn't want us to hire Tad Boyle for many of the reasons above.

If CU is going to go with Chev, they have to go all in on him. No 1 year trial nonsense.
I don’t see any issue with naming him the interim to keep the ship afloat while they do a thorough search for the full time HC. Probably give Chev a chance to interview for it and see how he handles the situation. Ultimately, though, RG needs to hire the beat possible candidate, and I have doubts that Chev is that guy.

Go with inexperienced alums in key positions and spend the money on the coaching staff (assuming they have enough pull to do that, of course)? Someone help me, where have I heard that before?

No one is talking about putting first time head coach Embree with first time OC EB and 2nd year DC Greg Brown.

In your scenario, how in the world does CU recruit well, for, you know, next year's class? A "one year" head coach = worst 2021 class in the P5, and probably competing for worst in all of FBS.

Recruiting for 2021 doesn't magically start at the of the 2020 season and end on signing day.

Yeah, if they want Chev to be the coach next year they have to commit to him long term. You really can’t afford to have a lame duck coach in college football.

Just go with Chev and surround him with very good coaches.
OK, could you pay Chev $2 Million with a lot of performance incentives related to recruiting, wins, and other things???

ADD $2 million more to the Assistant Coaches pot and let him lock in the best coaches, or keep the ones he really wants to and compete with Tucker for them in a way that either keeps them or makes them pay up.

OK, could you pay Chev $2 Million with a lot of performance incentives related to recruiting, wins, and other things???

ADD $2 million more to the Assistant Coaches pot and let him lock in the best coaches, or keep the ones he really wants to and compete with Tucker for them in a way that either keeps them or makes them pay up.
Jonathan Smith at OSU is making $1.9 Million and they like the trajectory they are on

I know it isn't football but we need to look at Tad Boyle for inspiration on the next hire. Boyle has been much more clear about what kind of team he wants in Boulder and recruits the players to play for that team.

My big question for Chev is what kind of team does he want? The recruiting part already answers for that.

I say give him a $1 salary and $250,000 a win.

I'd like to try to steal Narduzzi. I also like Grinch. Bohl may sound like an uninspiring hire, but he could have the Buffs playing good football and could win more in Boulder than Wyoming...I also think Bill Clark has done an amazing job with what was shut down at UAB. Not splashy, but solid...

$2M sounds right for Chev and the more the assistant coach pool gets, the better. Chev will get a pay raise if he at least maintains the trajectory CU is on and goes bowling.

Just because Chev is a CU guy, does not mean he would fill his staff with CU guys. C'mon now.
giphy.gif

$2M sounds right for Chev and the more the assistant coach pool gets, the better. Chev will get a pay raise if he at least maintains the trajectory CU is on and goes bowling.
Good OC and DC pay is in the $750,000 range and we are only $200k behind that. Ryan Walters makes $800k at Missouri in the SEC. If our pool could get to $5mil then all good. Chev would coach with incentives.

Good OC and DC pay is in the $750,000 range and we are only $200k behind that. Ryan Walters makes $800k at Missouri in the SEC. If our pool could get to $5mil then all good. Chev would coach with incentives.

HC: Chev
DC: Walters (Current Mizzou DC)
OC/Asst HC: Eric Morris (Current HC Incarnate Word, Former OC at TTU 2013-2017)

I think CU could do much worse.

Back