What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

That might also be the main reason why I'm fairly pessimistic right now and don't really see a good way out of this mess. Being forced into making a hire in mid February is very, very challenging. The only pro I see here is that 2020 class has been signed, sealed and delivered.

The timing argues for not making a long drawn out HC hiring process. Which means that RG is going to have to take somewhat a hiring risk. Which, as it turns out is what he unknowingly did anyway with Tucker. CU dipped its toe into big time college football and got big time "college footballed". You're right about the upside 2020 class. The new coach is going to have some very good true freshmen.

Chev is the right choice for many even deeper reasons, such as how long it will take to do the infamous CU Background Checks, winning over the BoR on a new contract, and the fact that if another coach is hired, I am not sure that Chev would even consider staying as an assistant because that it too much risk to his future. He just watched a guy F over his alma mater for $5.5 million bones. He has been loyal and successful at his tasks, give him the shot. I think that Lance Carl is one of the keys to this move, in that he can fill in the Booster Role and mentor Chev on that front, and Barnett is around to Mentor Chev on the other things.

Why the hell is Graham Harrell more qualified or ready than Chev???
You really asked that question?

1) This is NOT it for Chev.
2) Why do you say that Rick George, Lance Carl, all the other people that work in the AD and the other 10 assistants and lower level coaches are not fighting for the players?
3) Yes, he'll likely be gone.
Except for Hagan and Chev, the other staff members are thinking about themselves and whether or not they go with Tucker. Chev is the lead recruiter and the recruiting coordinator, so he is essentially 100% responsible for these kids with their parents. MM screwed the pooch and was fired, Chev kept whatever he could together. MT screws the program, and Chev is standing in the gap trying to hold it together again. RG and LC are fighting for the program, and the rest of the staff is looking for a leader, so yeah this is IT for Chev cause he truly truly truly LOVES these kids.

Except for Hagan and Chev, the other staff members are thinking about themselves and whether or not they go with Tucker. Chev is the lead recruiter and the recruiting coordinator, so he is essentially 100% responsible for these kids with their parents. MM screwed the pooch and was fired, Chev kept whatever he could together. MT screws the program, and Chev is standing in the gap trying to hold it together again. RG and LC are fighting for the program, and the rest of the staff is looking for a leader, so yeah this is IT for Chev cause he truly truly truly LOVES these kids.
This is nice. Doesn’t make HC. Does t even make him HC material.

The timing argues for not making a long drawn out HC hiring process. Which means that RG is going to have to take somewhat a hiring risk. Which, as it turns out is what he unknowingly did anyway with Tucker. CU dipped its toe into big time college football and got big time "college footballed". You're right about the upside 2020 class. The new coach is going to have some very good true freshmen.

On the flip side, why rush it? You're not competing with anyone directly as you're the only P5 team hiring, you don't have another game for 7 months plus while recruiting never sleeps, there's enough time until the next signing day. If there is a time where you can take some more time than you otherwise would to hire a HC, mid-February is it.

On the flip side, why rush it? You're not competing with anyone directly as you're the only P5 team hiring, you don't have another game for 7 months plus while recruiting never sleeps, there's enough time until the next signing day. If there is a time where you can take some more time than you otherwise would to hire a HC, mid-February is it.
Umm, because spring football starts soon?

I don’t think anybody is going to put up a fuss if Spring ball starts three weeks later than originally anticipated.

Some good points here.

Calendar questions for those who track these things closer:

What are the open/contact/dead periods in recruiting over the next 5-6 weeks?

When are Spring practices currently scheduled, can they be rescheduled, and how late can you run spring practices? (Presumably you want your new coach in place a few weeks before they start, but if you can push them back, then FFS push them back.)

The calendar may actually be more relaxed now than it is at other times. The wares on offer in the marketplace may be different though.

Umm, because spring football starts soon?

For which you do have a coaching staff under contract. But would you rush making a coaching hire because of some spring practices?

I do realise there're cons and the coaching staff is a very legit concern as that picks up some steam post signing day, but if there is a time in the college football calendar to take a little more time than you otherwise would, this is it.

Meh. Chev obviously wants the job so I see no problem in making that known. RG will vet the process but I see no problem with what he is doing.

For which you do have a coaching staff under contract. But would you rush making a coaching hire because of some spring practices?

I do realise there're cons and the coaching staff is a very legit concern as that picks up some steam post signing day, but if there is a time in the college football calendar to take a little more time than you otherwise would, this is it.
Spring football is a very important step in developing players (we do have an early enrollee QB who is positioned to take over a P5 team btw) and we missed bowl practices again. There isn't anyone else looking for a coach so why in the world would it take long to find one?

If you name Chev HC, do the recruits stay?
I'm worried we're going to lose Alfano and the other top recruits....Chev is the guy who can convince them to stay, potentially.

I'd rather have EB, but I'm sure itwill be some guy none of us have thought about.

Yeah, they are already scheduled to go to the last week of school. Have fun rescheduling that.

I'd much, much rather try to reschedule spring practices or run those with a skeleton crew than try to salvage a recruiting class with a few weeks left until signing day or be in a situation where the whole hiring process affects fall camp or actual ****ing games.

None of this is ideal, the timing sucks ass and I am very concerned and pessimistic for a bunch of reasons, but I don't see anything on the college calendar for the next couple of months that should stop you from taking a week longer than you normally would. I am not implying we should drag this out until the summer, god forbid, but spring football wouldn't force me into making a decision.

I've been thinking about Chev as HC some more. I'm starting to come around to the idea. He can pull in an amazing assistant coaching staff.

OC/QB: Mike Moschetti
WR/RC: Chev will keep these titles too!
OL: Brad Bedell
RB: Hagan
TE: Russell is surely ready to be a player/coach (No Embree joke here, this is for real!)

DC/ILB: Cabral
Interior DL: Ty Gregorak (he is selling medical supplies in MT. Available!)
Edge: Kanavis McGee (again)
CB: DD Goodson (already on staff as S&C assistant, easy promo)
S: Hale Irwin

Spring football is a very important step in developing players (we do have an early enrollee QB who is positioned to take over a P5 team btw) and we missed bowl practices again. There isn't anyone else looking for a coach so why in the world would it take long to find one?

I think the main thing here is that we have a different understanding of the word "long". My point is: If this takes 3 weeks instead of 2 that's fine. We're losing very little in the grand scheme of things.

I've been thinking about Chev as HC some more. I'm starting to come around to the idea. He can pull in an amazing assistant coaching staff.

TE: Russell is surely ready to be a player/coach (No Embree joke here, this is for real!)

Just because Chev is a CU guy, does not mean he would fill his staff with CU guys. C'mon now.

I actually wonder how much turnover there will be with MSU’s entire coaching staff still in tact because the former head coach retired.

Chev should definitely be the interim HC, imo. But I’m not sure about long term.

Thanks for your input Scott Hastings. Try to not **** up tonight's game, ok?

I'd much, much rather try to reschedule spring practices or run those with a skeleton crew than try to salvage a recruiting class with a few weeks left until signing day or be in a situation where the whole hiring process affects fall camp or actual ****ing games.

None of this is ideal, the timing sucks ass and I am very concerned and pessimistic for a bunch of reasons, but I don't see anything on the college calendar for the next couple of months that should stop you from taking a week longer than you normally would. I am not implying we should drag this out until the summer, god forbid, but spring football wouldn't force me into making a decision.
Why even hire a head coach if you can just use a skeleton crew during one of the biggest developmental parts of the year? Just save the money and throw it at support staff and assistant coaches.

You can't reschedule spring practices, they already go through the last week of the school year. I get not wanting to rush things, but you should be able to conduct a swift, effective coaching search in a week when no other schools are looking for head coaches. He hired Tucker within two weeks of the end of the regular season and he was still coaching a team in a conference championship.

Back