What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

Correct. He does not have a network of assistant coaches at his disposal.

We should be prepared for whoever shows up to have a pretty questionable set of assistants, we should also be prepared for Tucker to try and raid more guys as a backup plan.

You are likely going to see a bunch of: retired retreads, current CU guys, dudes out of left field, and staff from that coaches current school.

Judging any coach on this year's assistants (as some of us did to mel) would be a mistake given the timing.

Just looking at his coaching staff, I can see why Calhoun has been successful at Air Force. His staff is loaded with guys who have deep ties to the Academy and many have been there 5+ years. There are two guys with extensive "outside" experience.

If we wind up with Calhoun I'd expect one of those guys to be promoted - further complicating the assistants thing.

We should be prepared for whoever shows up to have a pretty questionable set of assistants, we should also be prepared for Tucker to try and raid more guys as a backup plan.

You are likely going to see a bunch of: retired retreads, current CU guys, dudes out of left field, and staff from that coaches current school.

Judging any coach on this year's assistants (as some of us did to mel) would be a mistake given the timing.
I'm gonna disagree here. A guy like Sark (or Mel, we thought) should be able to pull some assistants from other schools that are not on the scrap heap.

I'm gonna disagree here. A guy like Sark (or Mel, we thought) should be able to pull some assistants from other schools that are not on the scrap heap.

IF we are in a normal time of year for hiring I'd agree but we aren't and that is going to change the narrative/effectiveness/results of any assistant search - just like its messing up the coaching search.

IF we are in a normal time of year for hiring I'd agree but we aren't and that is going to change the narrative/effectiveness/results of any assistant search - just like its messing up the coaching search.
Well then you can't say we should have gone easy on Mel since he got hired at a normal time last year.

Well then you can't say we should have gone easy on Mel since he got hired at a normal time last year.

I thought his assistant coaches were underwhelming at best, if I said otherwise at the time it was because I was sick of people always griping.

I thought his assistant coaches were underwhelming at best, if I said otherwise at the time it was because I was sick of people always griping.
I'm talking about this in your post: "Judging any coach on this year's assistants (as some of us did to mel) would be a mistake given the timing. "

Did you mean his hires THIS year? or Last year?

I'm talking about this in your post: "Judging any coach on this year's assistants (as some of us did to mel) would be a mistake given the timing. "

Did you mean his hires THIS year? or Last year?

Oh I meant it would be unfair and potentially a mistake to judge the new head coach on whomever the new coach hires as assistants this Feb/March.

Oh I meant it would be unfair and potentially a mistake to judge the new head coach on whomever the new coach hires as assistants this Feb/March.
Yea, that makes sense, the Mel () threw me off. I'd still expect Sark to potentially surprise us at a spot or two. His rolodex is deep.

Love a coach that’s willing and able to adjust his scheme fit the talent.

Be open minded. There are positives here if he’s the choice.

Love a coach that’s willing and able to adjust his scheme fit the talent.

Be open minded. There are positives here if he’s the choice.

None concerning recruiting, unfortunately.

I wouldn’t expect Sarkisian to hire a lot of coaches. He has only to replace the DL, oh well and offensive coordinator as a priority. Everybody else he could wait and see how they do this year and less he knows he has people he really likes that are willing to come right now.

You guys never, ever, ever, ever, never take the time to figure out what the sports media people are all about. They do not care if CU wins or loses. The best thing for the media is controversy. They stir the pot to generate viewership/readership and such. Most assuredly they don't even believe what they publicly promote because the best thing for them is chaos. This is not an indictment of sports media people, just insight.

So we might get-

The offensive coordinator at Alabama who previously coached USC and UW, who likely (hopefully?) has the ability to bring in a competitive, recruiting focused staff,

OR

The option running AFA coach who is largely an Academy lifer?

Sark, or Calhoun...

The dichotomy of that is insane.

Back