What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

So from what I heard it really is a reset:

RG has a multiple senior events to attend.
Calls will be made.
Official interviews will being again Monday and Tuesday.

I think names safe to scratch off the list include: Sark, EB, Calhoun and Bielma. I think if it were any of the three they would be coach now.

Weren't you the guy saying EB was assembling his staff and prepared for an announcement this week? No offense but stick to Twitter Klis

I'm really starting to see the logic in making Jim Mora our next coach. There are others that I like (Calhoun, Blake Anderson) but Mora brings name recognition, he loves Boulder, and he sees the potential at CU. He's old enough that he could make this his last job and stay here for quite a while if successful. He's been successful in the Pac 12 before and I think he has a chip on his shoulder and something to prove. I don't think he would use CU as a stepping stone. He had a 46-30 record at UCLA and two bowl wins. I never was a Sarkisian guy (nothing against him though) and I'm not a big fan of Bielema because I think we'd be a stepping stone for him. Please, no Alex Grinch. I watched his OU defense (filled with great recruits) get torched repeatedly last year. They allowed 60+ once, 40+ two more times, and 30+ three more times. No thanks. That being said, I'll support whoever gets hired because I'm a Buff and I'll always love and support the Buffs.

I'm not by any means embarrassed by our situation. Almost every college football program would be in the exact same situation if their coach left when ours did. Also, I don't give a **** what other people think anyway. I care about my program, that's all. Let's get a coach in here who will bring us back to where we should be as a program. Go Buffs!

I'm really starting to see the logic in making Jim Mora our next coach. There are others that I like (Calhoun, Blake Anderson) but Mora brings name recognition, he loves Boulder, and he sees the potential at CU. He's old enough that he could make this his last job and stay here for quite a while if successful. He's been successful in the Pac 12 before and I think he has a chip on his shoulder and something to prove. I don't think he would use CU as a stepping stone. He had a 46-30 record at UCLA and two bowl wins. I never was a Sarkisian guy (nothing against him though) and I'm not a big fan of Bielema because I think we'd be a stepping stone for him. Please, no Alex Grinch. I watched his OU defense (filled with great recruits) get torched repeatedly last year. They allowed 60+ once, 40+ two more times, and 30+ three more times. No thanks. That being said, I'll support whoever gets hired because I'm a Buff and I'll always love and support the Buffs.

I'm not by any means embarrassed by our situation. Almost every college football program would be in the exact same situation if their coach left when ours did. Also, I don't give a **** what other people think anyway. I care about my program, that's all. Let's get a coach in here who will bring us back to where we should be as a program. Go Buffs!

We need more than a one year fix. Who would he get to fill out the staff knowing it was just a year?
Understood, but why not give him a trial run? Don't tell him "this is it", tell him "here's your chance". For all you know, he does halfway decent and could be a long term solution. I think the results of the search show how difficult it is to hire a coach this late in the cycle...even Tucker, who by all accounts is being called a sleaze for leaving like he did, needed to get $5 million+ to leave for Michigan State.

At this point you guys are reduced to looking at coaches like Bret Bielma because the pool of available coaches is so small...he was also pushing to get the Michigan State job and any other job opening that was mentioned recently. If he goes to CU, it's not because he believes in the program, it's because he just wants to coach again and he'll take anything. If he's successful, he's liable to jump ship for greener ($) pastures once any larger program comes calling.

Understood, but why not give him a trial run? Don't tell him "this is it", tell him "here's your chance". For all you know, he does halfway decent and could be a long term solution. I think the results of the search show how difficult it is to hire a coach this late in the cycle...even Tucker, who by all accounts is being called a sleaze for leaving like he did, needed to get $5 million+ to leave for Michigan State.

At this point you guys are reduced to looking at coaches like Bret Bielma because the pool of available coaches is so small...he was also pushing to get the Michigan State job and any other job opening that was mentioned recently. If he goes to CU, it's not because he believes in the program, it's because he just wants to coach again and he'll take anything. If he's successful, he's liable to jump ship for greener ($) pastures once any larger program comes calling.
What assistant coach in their right mind would want to work under him in a situation like that?

I don't have a problem with giving him a shot, but it can't be on an interim basis. Do you really want to do this again in November? Give him the contract Melvin had-but keep the buyout if we want to move on from him at $3m. That covers our asses if Chev's Embree 2.0.

At this point, how do you even hand the keys to Chiv and say “well, we tried to get 4-5 other guys instead of you, but they didn’t want the job ... so here you go.”

The only thing we can hope for with this **** show is that the players and coaches left after all this feel so ****ed over that they come out with a giant ****ing chip on their shoulder.

True, but there are always fans whose identity is just a little too tied to the team they root for. CU's coaching search is less than a blip, even for a rabid CFB fan. There's nothing embarrassing about making an offer that's not accepted and few will even remember the story 3 months from now. All that matters is getting the right coach (or at least the best available.)

This whole thing just happened to MSU as well. They are stuck in a scandal, are in EAST LANSING aka a CRAP HOLE, apparently however they have a ton of money and don't mind being morons with it. I think they look like idots.

We will get some one hired, but we are not going to be idots.

The timing of this is brutal, killing any chance for a decent HC and staff. Asst. coaches jumping ship, who knows how many cu loses from this class.

CU has had enough crap the last 15 years to reach Pikes Peak.

Jim Mora is terrible. We’d absolutely be scraping the bottom of the barrel hiring him. Like Lame Kiffin, he’s failed up his whole career until now all because his daddy was an nfl coach.

I’ve loved CU all my life but attended Hawai’i and Missouri St respectively for college. Both hired coaches this offseason. UH got Todd Graham (formerly of ASU) and MoState got Bobby Petrino.
Pretty sad that CU far outshines both institutions but is coming up so short in the coaching search, can’t even hire guys on par with these schools.

I don’t want Air Raid at CU and I thought that’s what Harrell would run. But SC’s offense was fairly balanced. 514 PA vs 391 RA. Wash St., on the other hand, was 710-210.

Jim Mora is terrible. We’d absolutely be scraping the bottom of the barrel hiring him. Like Lame Kiffin, he’s failed up his whole career until now all because his daddy was an nfl coach.

I’ve loved CU all my life but attended Hawai’i and Missouri St respectively for college. Both hired coaches this offseason. UH got Todd Graham (formerly of ASU) and MoState got Bobby Petrino.
Pretty sad that CU far outshines both institutions but is coming up so short in the coaching search, can’t even hire guys on par with these schools.
You're just going to ignore the difference in timing? Both those dudes would give their left nut to coach CU if we were interested. Its always been Graham's dream school.

Graham Harrell, really? Navy had a more productive offense than USC under Harrell - might as well reach out to the academies to fill out the staff. PASS!
giphy-downsized.gif

I don’t want Air Raid at CU and I thought that’s what Harrell would run. But SC’s offense was fairly balanced. 514 PA vs 391 RA. Wash St., on the other hand, was 710-210.
You do know that despite its name air raid coaches often have surprisingly even run-pass numbers, right?

Edit to add: one of the big things with air raid is the wide OL gaps. Power running it is not. And that's why I don't want it at Boulder, power running is in our DNA and plays to the altitude advantage in ways other philosophies /strategies do not.

Rick: "Hey John, do you have Kube's phone number?"
John: "Sure, Rick. Gimme a minute. Nice pass by Kin. He's the real deal..."

That would be a neat scenario and nice you're playing along. But Kubiak has already left us at the altar -- took the HC job and then backed out within a couple days.

My donor buddy talked to RG a bit last night and got the impression that Rick is going thru a process still of determining who is available and may be a fit. None of the b.s. of a hard reset as noted above. Rick indicated we had some guys in mind that we were interested in feeling out and that others contacted CU, that were interested. He also indicated to not believe much of anything being printed, as folks were grasping at straws. RG seems assured we have some interesting candidates that we are currently talking to.

And way too much is being made about the timing. A coach who may have interest in the CU job is interested 365. Same for assistants. While there are some challenges (spring ball), there are also some benefits. Coaches at this point are simply going to evaluate is CU better than their current situation, not the other gazillion of actions happening on the carousel, because the carousel is currently empty.

Breathe.

You do know that despite its name air raid coaches often have surprisingly even run-pass numbers, right?

Edit to add: one of the big things with air raid is the wide OL gaps. Power running it is not. And that's why I don't want it at Boulder, power running is in our DNA and plays to the altitude advantage in ways other philosophies /strategies do not.
Leach doesn’t.

He goes round and round, almost messing with the interviewer and refusing to answer a direct question about his interest or possibility of having interviewed at CU.

Excerpts:

Gazette: Did you not talk to your staff yesterday and tell them that had happened?
Calhoun: That what?

Gazette: That you had interviewed?
Calhoun: Did I?

Gazette: That’s what I’ve heard?
Calhoun: Well, write that then. If that’s what we did. If we told our staff that, then write that. If you think that’s accurate and that’s what you heard, write that. I wouldn’t say just a source, if that really is the truth, we told our staff, there’s freedom to write whatever we want to write.
I’m all about football. That’s what we’re doing. We’re all about Air Force football and what we did today.

Gazette: OK, here’s a football question. Will you be his football coach in the fall?
See, you’re asking about Air Force football, what happened in practice today?

Local TV reporter: Coach, would you say you’re happy at Air Force right now, because I know there was discussion about…
Calhoun: What’s that have to do with practice? Honestly? What do we have in regards to Air Force football today, practice-wise?

Local TV reporter: Right, I think there are people that have been asking us whether or not you will be here long term. There was talk of an extension, I think that’s something…
Calhoun: I said Air Force football. What happened at practice today? Do you want to talk about our personnel and team and whatnot.

Local TV reporter: There’s no other inclination about interviewing for other positions or other opportunities?
(Pause) Guys? What do we got about practice today? Our guys and the way they moved today and the way they worked. Do we have anything that way?

[The interview continued for an additional 2 minutes, 45 seconds with questions about practice, players and assistant coaches and not the Colorado job speculation]

THAT is vintage Troy Calhoun RE: the media. He would be like that wherever he was. Kind of refreshing; I hate butt-kissing coaches who pander for affection....

Back