What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

Yaaaaawwwwwwn! Sorry, just jumped over here after waking up, then catching up with all the basketball stuff. Glad to see the general panic here hasn't subsided much.

Anybody stop to consider that RG already has a head coach and the delay is to allow that guy to put together a staff, so they can collectively hit the ground running...........just sayin'..................silence is golden, right now.

No. Nobody considered that. Because it be would unlike literally every other coaching hire ever.

Not sure why he'd be interested but definitely intrigued after seeing what he did to revamp the Ravens offense to tailor it for Jackson and Ingram.

Jackson/Ingram...Lewis/Clayton-Johnson....just picture it......

Last edited:
Service academy coaches do the same recruiting as any other college staff. They have an evaluation system, a set of academic guidelines (as does most schools) and a peer group of institutions they compete with. Air Force isn't competing against Alabama and either is CU right now. So while there are differences in who Colorado is competing against vs Air Force's competition, the sell is largely the same. The benefits of each are a bit different, but it's still all about talent evaluation and sales.

And I say that because I'm a big Ken Niumatalolo fan and think he'd be a great coach anywhere, but especially in the PAC12.
But I have a feeling that he will likely end up at BYU one day if that job opens up.

And as Duff mentioned the other day, the success at Air Force is impressive compared to expectations, but Army and Navy have been pretty good recently as well. What does that really say?

Service academy coaches do the same recruiting as any other college staff. They have an evaluation system, a set of academic guidelines (as does most schools) and a peer group of institutions they compete with. Air Force isn't competing against Alabama and either is CU right now. So while there are differences in who Colorado is competing against vs Air Force's competition, the sell is largely the same. The benefits of each are a bit different, but it's still all about talent evaluation and sales.

And I say that because I'm a big Ken Niumatalolo fan and think he'd be a great coach anywhere, but especially in the PAC12.
But I have a feeling that he will likely end up at BYU one day if that job opens up.

And as Duff mentioned the other day, the success at Air Force is impressive compared to expectations, but Army and Navy have been pretty good recently as well. What does that really say?
Option football needs to be popular again!

It’s absolutely not the same sell. A program like CU should be able to sell making it to the NFL, yes the service academies have a bit more leeway of letting players go play as of late, but no service academy is walking into any 4 star recruits living room and selling them on pro potential. Yes there is a lot more that goes into recruiting than getting drafted, but service academies also recruit well over 25 players a year.

Yes they still have to evaluate talent just like any other staff does, but Calhoun does not exactly ooze charisma. Great coach, but he’s not a P5 fit.

It certainly doesn’t help that RG got caught scheduling back surgery during the “off season”. We are dealing with a highly qualified sports executive arguably at his worst dealing with, again arguably, the worst possible scenario in terms of trying to find a new head coach.

This really ****ing sucks.

How quickly do you think Chiavarini would get the job if he was an AHC/OC at another P5 school right now? I think he’d get it right away. I think it’s easy to be apprehensive to promote within, but maybe he needs a shot

How quickly do you think Chiavarini would get the job if he was an AHC/OC at another P5 school right now? I think he’d get it right away. I think it’s easy to be apprehensive to promote within, but maybe he needs a shot
With the same track record that he’s had at CU of one season as OC and being demoted? He would not be a serious candidate here, and the only reason he has been interviewed is because he’s the AHC and interim HC on the staff.

Because every other P5 AHC/OC is also under consideration?

You realize he's not the OC here though, right?

With that said, and with Schecks point well taken, Chev might be a home run. But it's early still in his career and a bit risky. No P5 school is taking that risk on him without more track record.

It’s absolutely not the same sell. A program like CU should be able to sell making it to the NFL, yes the service academies have a bit more leeway of letting players go play as of late, but no service academy is walking into any 4 star recruits living room and selling them on pro potential. Yes there is a lot more that goes into recruiting than getting drafted, but service academies also recruit well over 25 players a year.

Yes they still have to evaluate talent just like any other staff does, but Calhoun does not exactly ooze charisma. Great coach, but he’s not a P5 fit.
Same sell, a few different parameters. Selling is selling. It's what I do all day everyday. Calhoun convinces kids to go AF rather than Navy, but also to go AF rather than CSU. Pretty identical.

Back surgery, back smurgery. Now’s the time to buckle up. We couldn’t be in a better position. It’s gonna happen.

All I can say at this point is I hope all these Grinch, Harrel reports are bullsh*t. RG seems like a damn intelligent guy. When the smoke clears I hope its nobody anyone considers and blows us all away. Grinch is a POS and Harrel??? Not impressed. Its like this...Msu got nasty with $$$ and stole a coach away. Go steal a coach with thats better! Gimee a Kalen DeBoer type! Someone who can make an immediate difference. Tucker got a pass as most1st year coaches do BUT his cupboard was plenty good to compete in the Pac. **** Montez under good guidance could have dominated! Take your time, get a f*ckin powerful donor and get after it. Patr where the f*ck are you? Step up its not like you don't have it!

Back