What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ladies and gentlemen, the Prime effect

I often (more often then I'm proud to admit) wonder what is going through Plati's mind.
mood scarecrow GIF

Plati cared deeply about CU and cared deeply about our players. His protectiveness came from a place of concern. Was he misguided in his attempts to control every detail that was released? Was he gruff to me and sometimes frustrating to deal with? Yes. He got left behind in the modern age of information. But it came from a place of deep love for this university. I can't be angry at him. Only sad.

Plati cared deeply about CU and cared deeply about our players. His protectiveness came from a place of concern. Was he misguided in his attempts to control every detail that was released? Was he gruff to me and sometimes frustrating to deal with? Yes. He got left behind in the modern age of information. But it came from a place of deep love for this university. I can't be angry at him. Only sad.
This. I spent a little bit of time with Dave and I also found him to be fully devoted to CU and the athletic department. I have nothing but good things to say about him.

This. I spent a little bit of time with Dave and I also found him to be fully devoted to CU and the athletic department. I have nothing but good things to say about him.
So does Chris Fowler ... he was a student intern under Plati and gives him credit for educating him about sports information and helping launch
his career.

Me too. Met 4 guys at the Harvest House who came in from Mississippi. One of them was a JSU grad and seemed a little bitter because he said there is an 80% chance Prime leaves this year. I said no way and he said Prime is about helping the black athlete and you can’t do that in Boulder. Nice guys but they really questioned how Boulder can attract black athletes long term.
But one of the things that Prime said attracted him to Boulder was the challenge of bringing more racial equity and harmony to a historically white school and city. That doesn’t happen in a season. It takes time.

Last edited:
The point is that you could substitute DiStefano's name in that and it would be just as true.

The OP was about how damaging he was with the decades of mishandling the media and not embracing & adapting to change.
Exactly

No one can doubt that Plati loves CU - but he smothered it for nearly 20 years.

It isn't any wonder to me that we're seeing a turn-around as a lot of the old guard finally leaves. Fresh, modern views from Saliman have unshackled Rick George. Plati leaving has unshackled Curtis Snyder and Lindsay Lew. Just imagine what will happen when DiStefano finally hangs them up (which I thought was going to be last spring, so it is disappointing he is still around)

I agree. I just think he didn't have the vocabulary to explain what he wanted to bring about, *and* his audience didn't necessarily want to hear what he had to say on that matter either.
I don’t think Boulder was ready in 1990. I think Boulder is now.

Good article talking about all the $ CU and Boulder have been making this season. Including this nugget- Now, in the fiscal year of 2023, alumni have donated $52,8 million compared to the total of $50.8 million during the entire fiscal year of 2022

I'm pretty sure that $28 million of the $50 mill in 2022 came in after Prime was hired.

https://www.outkick.com/deion-sanders-colorado-nebraska-college-football/

Good article talking about all the $ CU and Boulder have been making this season. Including this nugget- Now, in the fiscal year of 2023, alumni have donated $52,8 million compared to the total of $50.8 million during the entire fiscal year of 2022

I'm pretty sure that $28 million of the $50 mill in 2022 came in after Prime was hired.

https://www.outkick.com/deion-sanders-colorado-nebraska-college-football/
I remember reading something that quoted someone in Michigan leadership years ago about the impact of football on overall donations. He said that for one of its schools, donations were much less the year they had a professor from it win a Nobel Prize that how much they raised off the last UM national championship.

Some more updates on Prime talk from work, and I only point out race since it's been a big part of the Prime Effect discussion:

Ran into a young black guy who I've talked with here and there in the past but haven't seen in a few months and he said hey what's up, Colorado! He was super excited about what was going on. He took note of my last name and said he'll have to ping me so we can talk more.

Another black guy who I occassionally have breakfast or lunch with and he congratulated me on the CSU win and said he never watches a full game since he's always doing stuff around the house or whatever, but he watched that whole game. And he couldn't believe that he was able to stay up until 2:30 am but he did.

Another guy who I've worked with for years (also black) who hates college football but has been watching CU. He thinks Prime is talking too much and he says Oregon is gonna put up 60 on us. Whatever. But then he went on to say if we beat Oregon he is gonna have to go to Boulder next week. I told him I'm gonna hold him to that!

Then ran into another guy on my way out last night who is a Bronco fan and we said hi, and he was with another guy (not black) who started asking me about CU. I went on to tell him I was at the first 2 games, turns out he went to The U and is a big fan and also a big college football fan in general and wanted to hear everything about CU. I was supposed to pick up dinner at like 5:45 and didn't even end up even leaving work until after 6:30 because we were talking. Needless to say my wife wasn't thrilled.

I went on to tell him I was at the first 2 games, turns out he went to The U and is a big fan and also a big college football fan in general and wanted to hear everything about CU. I was supposed to pick up dinner at like 5:45 and didn't even end up even leaving work until after 6:30 because we were talking. Needless to say my wife wasn't thrilled.
I mean seriously, but this was about the the Buffaloes! didn't hold water?

Back