What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Larry Scott Gets Contract Extension Through 2022

Having Larry Scott as the commissioner of our conference surely is better than having Dan Beebe as the commissioner of our conference?

Here's an outside-the-box idea:

Invite a couple MWC schools as non-football members similar to the deal Notre Dame has with the ACC.

We get their basketball programs, particularly along with their other sports. They get a revenue bump out of that along with a path toward Pac-12 membership. The MWC would keep them for football because they really have no choice.

Stronger conference in the short-term and builds toward a long-term possibility.

Nik, really really,....

REALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreallyREALLYreally

really wants to expand the conference. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Here's an outside-the-box idea:

Invite a couple MWC schools as non-football members similar to the deal Notre Dame has with the ACC.

We get their basketball programs, particularly along with their other sports. They get a revenue bump out of that along with a path toward Pac-12 membership. The MWC would keep them for football because they really have no choice.

Stronger conference in the short-term and builds toward a long-term possibility.
Get back in your box!!

TV distribution to Directv is really the biggest issue I see with Scott. He probably overplayed a bit and thought they would be crawling to him. Otherwise, he has done what the Presidents have asked him to do.

At this point, the conference will have to expand and expand to a bigger tier east of the conference to keep up the pace with the SEC/BIG. Some of the School names are laughable being thrown out there and doesn't do anything for the conference. It's all about money. Unfortunate situation, but at some point the Pac will be at a competitive disadvantage by standing still.

With the new AP Top 100 (historical performance and, therefore, prestige) of college football programs having come out, I think a strong case can be for a Pac-14 through Houston + SMU.

Some programs that have been mentioned as Pac-12 targets in expansion (not in P5 and available are bolded):
2. Oklahoma
8. Texas
18. Texas A&M
34. BYU
39. TCU
42. Oklahoma State
44. Kansas State
46. Baylor
48. Houston
55. SMU
58. Texas Tech
59. Boise State
64. Kansas
****Mendoza Line (Oregon State is lowest Pac-12 at #65)***
67. Air Force
69. Rice
70. Tulane
71. Wyoming
72. Fresno State
77. Colorado State
94. Hawaii
98. San Diego State
100 (tie). Nevada

Looks to me like Houston + SMU deserves a real look for a Pac-14 move.

Dallas is #4 population metro in the US
Houston is the #5 population metro in the US

The Texas markets are the only path toward increased carriage and revenue for all. Why not do it through 2 programs that got left out of the Big 12 due to politics instead of a lack of athletics success or resources?

AP also did an all-time Basketball Top 100.

Pac-12 schools (plus outsiders available, in bold):
4. UCLA
8. Arizona
25. UNLV
39. Utah
40. Stanford
50. USC
52. Washington
55. New Mexico
56. Houston

60. Oregon State
63. BYU
66. Oregon
77. Cal
79. Arizona State
86. SMU
92. San Diego State

*Colorado & Washington State didn't make the Top 100.
BYU is the clear and obvious choice for expansion if this was only about athletics and politics wasn't involved. But politics is involved and there's also a question about whether it does anything significant to the Pac market.

Assuming that can't happen, then I don't know of a better option than Houston + SMU. And I strongly believe that the Pac-12 needs to make a move. Gets us into those cable tv households in Texas while enhancing our pitch to DIRECTV. Also, AAC schools are worth the risk since that conference only pays $2MM a year, making it very easy to do a financial deal with them that doesn't immediately give a full & equal share (like what was done with Utah).

Long-term, we'd still have an opportunity if the Big 12 broke up to snag a couple teams. Or, if 16 became the magic number, we'd have time to give a look to other schools in the west from the host of MWC schools that would love to join the Pac. (As I've posted before, UNLV and New Mexico are where I'm looking most closely at for future potential, should we need to go that direction instead of with Big 12 schools in the 2021-2025 time frame.)

I know this is an unpopular view but I would love to see Oklahoma, Texas, Houston and SMU join. Or we could exchange OSU for SMU if need be. Probably won't happen but I think that would be the best thing for the Pac12. I hate Texas with a passion but you can not deny what they bring to the table and I think we need that to keep up with the Jones'.

I think adding only SMU and Houston could continue the current issue of having a university with a smaller following in a heavily diluted sports market. Austin and Oklahoma City and even Tulsa to an extent are huge for the Pac12. Houston/SMU can only be added if they are part of a package.

Back