What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Larry Scott: Pac-12 is not done expanding

I'm glad some degree of rational has caught up to this thread. Thanks Maxer. Absolutely agree that we need game breakers if we're going to expand.

There are currently no game breakers west of the Rocky Mountains that aren't already in our conference (suck it Mormons)

There are precious few game breakers west of the Mississippi that aren't already in our conference. I would say that Texas, OU and TardBraska are it. Maybe aTm....maybe...

If we're going to expand, either:
(1) Some other schools west of the Mississippi need to step up in a BIG way
(2) We need at least 2 game breakers west of the Mississippi to validate expansion
(3) We go further East to find our schools.

I was kind of shocked that last time around, Larry Scott would have agreed to take the Texas leftovers to get Texas. Hopefully this time, we'll be in more of a position of power so we won't have to take nearly as much garbage.

But yeah, I'm currently pretty stoked at 12.

We don't need any more people in the PAC 12. Why take anyone at all.

because Larry Scott says the Pac won't stick at 12. that in the article and the title of the thread. i think most would be happy with the status quo in the Pac....but, that doesn't appear the way the future will take shape.

because Larry Scott says the Pac won't stick at 12. that in the article and the title of the thread. i think most would be happy with the status quo in the Pac....but, that doesn't appear the way the future will take shape.

well, I do hope Larry Scott has higher aspirations for admission now that we are up to 12. Last thing we need is a bunch of mouth breathers from the B12 S to come clinging on to Texas. Or to waste a bunch of money on Boise with their 1 million tv sets.

Texas had no counter balance in the SWC or the Big 12

While we may not yet know much about the Pac 12, this statement shows a serious lack of understanding of both the SWC and Big 12. There was counter-balance, it just got overwhelmed. UT is a conference killer. Plain and simple. We don't want anything to do with them. Ever.

Agree its quite obvious that Scott will expand if he can increase revenue for the member schools.

At least we have a vote now. UT can come in as long as they keep a level playing field.

They won't. Latest buzz with their network is broadcasting high school games. They already have one signed that features schools with both UT and A&M committed recruits. Mack Brown's selling point is that most of the kids that will be seen on t.v. won't be going to the D1 level and this gives them their 15 min of fame. Really what this would be is a recruiting nightmare.

Here's my take on it... http://undergroundrecruit.blogspot.com/

I think we have a harder time recruiting against UT when we're in the same conference as them. I've made my feelings clear about that school. I want nothing to do with them in my conference.

We are soooooo on the same page. As I've watched the recruiting of UT first hand, I have to give them props, Mack Brown is really good at what he does. The first out of city camp Jeff attended was UT and I promise you it was a site to see. ALL HANDS are expected to contribute when recruiting is involved. Coaches, coaches wives, players, committed recruits.......it is something to see. And only if you can step back and look at the bigger picture of depth of position (doing research) can you see whether the school fits for you. But they do a good job of getting you to look past that and feel like you are the best thing since sliced bread. Add the possibility of "momma's baby" playing a televised high school game on their network as a selling point for committing.....dangerous combination. Its better than the tactics I've seen in corporate america!

Maybe I didn't phrase my comments correctly. Texas had no counter balance like that of the State of California in the SWC or Big 12.

Are you familiar with how the Big 12 was formed? In 1996, when the conference was formed, all the power, and I mean ALL of it, was in the North. If anything, the "balance" was against UT. That changed. It will always change in any conference they are affiliated with. I can't stress this enough. UT is a cancer. They are to be avoided at all costs. DO NOT LET THEM IN THE PAC 12.

The delusion is strong in this thread ("we can vote to keep them out," etc).

Here is what we know:
The Big 12 is not long for this world. FACT.
As much as we may hate it, Texas is a valuable media commodity. FACT.
When the Big 12 fails, Texas will have a number of options. FACT.
Texas is not going to the SEC (academically they feel they are superior, and athletically they don't want to dive into the deep end of the "sketchy recruiting practice" pool). FACT.
Texas is not going to the Big 10 (a fit academically but not geographically). FACT.
That leaves 2 options - PAC-12 or Independent.
I don't think Independent is viable (although they are clearly testing the waters on that now).
That means they'll be interested in the PAC-12 and the PAC-12 will be interested in them. FACT.

We may not like it, but when the next conference realignment happens, and that's going to happen sooner rather than later, adding Texas to PAC-12 is a likely outcome.

We may not like it, but when the next conference realignment happens, and that's going to happen sooner rather than later, adding Texas to PAC-12 is a likely outcome.

You shut your dirty whore mouth this very second. I'm perfectly happy in a 12-school conference. CU and UT in the same conference is BAD for CU. It's BAD for the whole conference. BAD I say! BAD!!!!

Sacky, I'm unclear on your point regarding UT in the Pac 12. Good or bad, in your opinion?

You shut your dirty whore mouth this very second. I'm perfectly happy in a 12-school conference. CU and UT in the same conference is BAD for CU. It's BAD for the whole conference. BAD I say! BAD!!!!

I agree with you 100%, but I'm worried that the dominoes are lining up that direction. And as someone who spends all day around these "classy" Whorn fans, I don't like it one bit.

I agree with you 100%, but I'm worried that the dominoes are lining up that direction. And as someone who spends all day around these "classy" Whorn fans, I don't like it one bit.
then our AD needs to be in the ears of the other ADs in the conference explaining the true facts of tEXas to them. Make the ADs understand an perhaps they can influence the presidents.

If only the UAF Nanooks had a football team, then I'd say add them and Hawaii. It's all about cool vacation destinations.

then our AD needs to be in the ears of the other ADs in the conference explaining the true facts of tEXas to them. Make the ADs understand an perhaps they can influence the presidents.

I'm thinking the same thing. I think Mike Bohn can be a little tone deaf on certain issues. I think this may be one of them. I hope I'm wrong.

And that's even before you get into the negligible media markets they are in. What would be the point of splitting the pie further for schools that bring no value? If the PAC is going to continue to expand, it's going to be for a HUGE school -- Texas or Notre Dame or the like. If some dregs (like Texas Tech) need to be taken to make it work, the presidents will probably hold their noses and do it, but not for anything other than a school that increases the revenue by a HUGE degree.

Agreed. They only way further expansion makes sense is for a school like UT or ND along with some stragglers. No sense in adding Tech to take their share of the pie while bringing literally hundreds of TV sets with them...

Adding UT doesn't make sense under any circumstances. Haven't you people been paying attention?

You have to look at where major college football is going. There is a prevelent belief out there that, eventually, there will be four 16 team super conferences. Hell, the NCAA may cease to exist. These super conferences would form their own association. From there, it would be easy to have a sort of playoff system.

I guess I shouldn't say "prevelent." I've heard guys like Gary Barnett say that he believes that is what is going to eventully happen.

You have to look at where major college football is going. There is a prevelent belief out there that, eventually, there will be four 16 team super conferences. Hell, the NCAA may cease to exist. These super conferences would form their own association. From there, it would be easy to have a sort of playoff system.I guess I shouldn't say "prevelent." I've heard guys like Gary Barnett say that he believes that is what is going to eventully happen.
That doesn't mean we need to take UT. There's other schools that deserve a BCS bid more than UT deserves to ruin a third conference.

Adding UT doesn't make sense under any circumstances. Haven't you people been paying attention?

If Larry Scott is being honest, then he does not agree with your assessment, Because Texas is I believe one of the few schools that can increase revenue. Now if Scott believes he can raise revenue without UT..by adding some form of Oklahoma/Kansas combo, then I would be for that.

That doesn't mean we need to take UT. There's other schools that deserve a BCS bid more than UT deserves to ruin a third conference.

Larry Scott is in the business to make money for the conference, not act as a charity to give BCS bids to 'deserving' schools.

If UT wants to join they will. I just hope they dont want to.

Yep. That basically sums it up.

Actually every CU fan should want the Longhorn Network to be a success (or, at least not fail). As long as UT has the LHN, in my opinion the Pac 12 wouldn't accept them.

Yeah yeah, everyone points to the quote from Larry Scott where he said the potential (at the time) UT network would not have been an impediment to acceptance in the conference. But that was before ESPN paid UT $300M. That is a very high hurdle to cross.

The LHN is almost like a firewall that would prevent UT from coming to the P12. And without UT, the Pac doesn't expand. I can't see how the other conference schools would allow Bevo TV in its current incarnation. Hell, Bevo TV is already causing the havoc in the B12.

so I did a little digging and it looks like everything from pac-12.org to pac-18.org is owned by the same registrar, so it is just some hedging by Scott. It is interesting that pac-20.org is owned by a different registrant

Back