What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Long-term plan for CU facilities upgrades

We have an alumnus with the same money as Solich, if not more, who is a fan. CU is failing in not engaging him.

Care to say who you're referring to? How sure are you that CU hasn't tried many times to engage him? I'm not wealthy by any means, but I do donate to the school. I feel that they engage me the right amount, and one of their reps once told me how difficult it is to engage some potential donors.

Care to say who you're referring to? How sure are you that CU hasn't tried many times to engage him? I'm not wealthy by any means, but I do donate to the school. I feel that they engage me the right amount, and one of their reps once told me how difficult it is to engage some potential donors.
No, if he wanted to be known here, he would be. I know that he hasn't been contacted to the level that he should be because he is a friend.

No, if he wanted to be known here, he would be. I know that he hasn't been contacted to the level that he should be because he is a friend.
Well until he is named, he shall be known as John Joseph Lynch IV, complete savage, takes big chops. That should be how we refer to all anonymous super rich potential donors and secret commits.

There is no good argument for baseball over lacrosse for CU other than “I like baseball”.
Disagree. Two schools west of the Mississippi have it. Our primary conference doesn't have it-which means that program could be competing as an independent a la Arizona State's men's hockey team (Utah's lacrosse team might wind up in that spot too) or in a conference like the Big East a la DU or Southern a la Air Force. That's before we talk about a permanent stadium or any other expense with this. The travel is too much, but I'd rather not add either right now. Get Folsom and CEC completely done before any conversations about new sports.
Yeah Nik I know baseball is a long shot, but there's plenty of reasons for baseball over lacrosse. Besides the above, we are the only Pac 12 school without baseball - that's weak. Plus it's dramatically more popular and has far better participation at the youth levels in Colorado than lacrosse.

Yeah Nik I know baseball is a long shot, but there's plenty of reasons for baseball over lacrosse. Besides the above, we are the only Pac 12 school without baseball - that's weak. Plus it's dramatically more popular and has far better participation at the youth levels in Colorado than lacrosse.

I wouldn't agree with you dramatically more popular statement in Colorado.

Colorado produces a lot of quality LAX talent, comparatively more than baseball. DU won a NC using a number of CO players, D1 players from CO are spread out in D1 LAX nationwide. You can build a decent core of players in LAX recruiting CO, hard to say the same for baseball.

I like baseball but in comparison there is no way I would add it at CU instead of a MLAX team.

See, I don't get why it matters what other Pac-12 programs do for non revenue sports. Does it bother you that Utah is the only member of the Pac-12 that doesn't play women's golf?

And, yes, more people play baseball than lacrosse. More people also watch baseball. But it's nowhere close to being able to give bang for the buck. Maybe draw 500 more fans than lacrosse (???), but start every season on long road trips because - unlike lacrosse - you can't play baseball in Colorado when the weather's ****ty (college baseball season starts in February), that same season demands indoor practice facilities on top of a stadium that can only be used for baseball, very few schools in the vicinity play so it would be harder to find opponents for non-conference, and it would be really difficult to ever be good at it and compete for a national championship.

Adding baseball would be a monumental mistake for CU.

If you want a sport that will sell tickets, hockey is the best choice. Seeing as that’s not a realistic choice, I don’t think potential fan support and ticket sales will be a deciding factor in whatever sport gets added, if any sport is added at all.

I wouldn't agree with you dramatically more popular statement in Colorado.

Colorado produces a lot of quality LAX talent, comparatively more than baseball. DU won a NC using a number of CO players, D1 players from CO are spread out in D1 LAX nationwide. You can build a decent core of players in LAX recruiting CO, hard to say the same for baseball.

I like baseball but in comparison there is no way I would add it at CU instead of a MLAX team.
That's all great, but lacrosse participation is still only about half that of baseball in Colorado.

See, I don't get why it matters what other Pac-12 programs do for non revenue sports. Does it bother you that Utah is the only member of the Pac-12 that doesn't play women's golf?

And, yes, more people play baseball than lacrosse. More people also watch baseball. But it's nowhere close to being able to give bang for the buck. Maybe draw 500 more fans than lacrosse (???), but start every season on long road trips because - unlike lacrosse - you can't play baseball in Colorado when the weather's ****ty (college baseball season starts in February), that same season demands indoor practice facilities on top of a stadium that can only be used for baseball, very few schools in the vicinity play so it would be harder to find opponents for non-conference, and it would be really difficult to ever be good at it and compete for a national championship.

Adding baseball would be a monumental mistake for CU.
I didn't attend Utah so I couldn't care less if they have a women's golf program. I did go to CU and think it's pathetic that we are the only school in our conference without a baseball team - a sport that is significantly more popular than lacrosse.

Utah manages to field a D1 baseball team despite having cold winters. So does Minnesota, The University of Maine, Boston College, University of Hartford, University of Michigan, and others. Hell, Air Force has a D1 baseball team so I'm not buying the weather as a legitimate excuse.

And if you're concerned about finding schools in the vicinity to schedule non conference games, how is that any easier for lacrosse?

Edit: even Northern Colorado has D1 baseball

Last edited:
I'd actually like to add both plus one, hockey. Yall know more about how CU works than I do but I think adding some we don't have would be great in terms of fans, especially kids. That's probably a dream but it would be cool to see. Anybody want to tell me how CU could market themselves better? From the outside looking in, I think they could be as successful as they wanted in just about anything they tried. Is it just the general attitude or what? I'm watching Oregon State slap around LSU right about now.

I didn't attend Utah so I couldn't care less if they have a women's golf program. I did go to CU and think it's pathetic that we are the only school in our conference without a baseball team - a sport that is significantly more popular than lacrosse.

Utah manages to field a D1 baseball team despite having cold winters. So does Minnesota, The University of Maine, Boston College, University of Hartford, University of Michigan, and others. Hell, Air Force has a D1 baseball team so I'm not buying the weather as a legitimate excuse.

And if you're concerned about finding schools in the vicinity to schedule non conference games, how is that any easier for lacrosse?

Edit: even Northern Colorado has D1 baseball
How is it easier? Lacrosse teams play about 20 games in a season. Baseball teams play about 55. It is much more manageable.

And to the point I was making about being a cold weather program, take a look at Utah's 2018 season: http://utahutes.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=424

29 road games, 4 neutral site games, 22 home games. The entire first month of the season was away from home. That's brutal and a huge competitive disadvantage. http://utahutes.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=424 And they're a bad team with almost no hope of challenging to win in the Pac-12.

While LAX can practice in the IPF if the weather's really bad and play outside during the winter, baseball is going to practice where before the season starts and in the beginning of the season when they're in town? Then baseball's going to do like Utah and play 20 games in 30 days on the road in the middle of the spring semester to start their season? Unless you build a dome that can host both baseball and softball along with indoor training facilities, I have no idea how CU would have a competitive program that wasn't too expensive on travel and wasn't too burdensome on the student athletes on their academic schedules. It just doesn't work well for CU.

How is it easier? Lacrosse teams play about 20 games in a season. Baseball teams play about 55. It is much more manageable.

And to the point I was making about being a cold weather program, take a look at Utah's 2018 season: http://utahutes.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=424

29 road games, 4 neutral site games, 22 home games. The entire first month of the season was away from home. That's brutal and a huge competitive disadvantage. http://utahutes.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=424 And they're a bad team with almost no hope of challenging to win in the Pac-12.

While LAX can practice in the IPF if the weather's really bad and play outside during the winter, baseball is going to practice where before the season starts and in the beginning of the season when they're in town? Then baseball's going to do like Utah and play 20 games in 30 days on the road in the middle of the spring semester to start their season? Unless you build a dome that can host both baseball and softball along with indoor training facilities, I have no idea how CU would have a competitive program that wasn't too expensive on travel and wasn't too burdensome on the student athletes on their academic schedules. It just doesn't work well for CU.

Baseball would also have a huge disadvantage because the PAC includes some of the top programs in the country. Why are they on top? In part because they sit in the middle of some of the richest recruiting areas in the country.

Those kids aren't coming to Colorado and the state doesn't produce enough talent to even give you a core. Bottom line is that without massive dollars which isn't going to happen CU cannot hope to compete in baseball.

Meanwhile DU is nationally ranked in LAX and has a national championship. We can win at LAX.

Spring weather in Colorado sucks for a sport like baseball. Random snowstorms and constant wind are a nuisance to play in and reschedule games around. I love baseball and miss playing, but let's add Women's and Men's Hockey first and then Men's Lacrosse and Field Hockey.

It's easier because baseball plays 3-game series, not one-off games in the early season and there a just 2 lacrosse programs west of the Mississippi. UNC played 11 of their first 15 at home so it's possible.

Have you seen DU's lacrosse schedule? They only played 5 home games and 12 road games which we're almost exclusively on the east coast. Oh and it's an outdoor sport that plays the same season as baseball, so you know, weather.

DU has a great hockey and lacrosse program because that's what they focus on. Football will always be the dominant program in Boulder so this idea that we'll be a good lacrosse program because DU is good - I don't buy it.

Spring weather in Colorado sucks for a sport like baseball. Random snowstorms and constant wind are a nuisance to play in and reschedule games around. I love baseball and miss playing, but let's add Women's and Men's Hockey first and then Men's Lacrosse and Field Hockey.
Lacrosse plays the same season as baseball, so unless we're playing indoors...

Back