What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Long-term plan for CU facilities upgrades

Playing to win - Indoor baseball practice facilities:
Arkansas - Fowler Family Baseball training facility.
2016-10-13-14.39.16-1200x675.jpg

Mississippi State - Palmeiro Center
3-16-2006.jpg

TCU - G Malcolm Lauden Player Developmentt Center
batting_cage_render2.0.jpg

Wichita State - Bombardier Learjet Indoor practice facility.
wsublipf_2.jpg

Playing to win - Indoor baseball practice facilities:
Arkansas - Fowler Family Baseball training facility.
2016-10-13-14.39.16-1200x675.jpg

Mississippi State - Palmeiro Center
3-16-2006.jpg

TCU - G Malcolm Lauden Player Developmentt Center
batting_cage_render2.0.jpg

Wichita State - Bombardier Learjet Indoor practice facility.
wsublipf_2.jpg
And all of these are in climates where you can play baseball outside close to 12 months a year. It took us years to get an indoor practice facility for frickin football in Colorado, dealing with nothing for too long and then that temporary bubble thing... but folks think we could support a baseball program and compete against this stuff?

And all of these are in climates where you can play baseball outside close to 12 months a year. It took us years to get an indoor practice facility for frickin football in Colorado, dealing with nothing for too long and then that temporary bubble thing... but folks think we could support a baseball program and compete against this stuff?
Also Wichita State is in a baseball/basketball city with no major sports teams (pro or college) within 2 hours to compete against for fans and has no football program to skew Title IX numbers. Even with all that and their history (national championship) they still have a hard time competing to make the NCAA'S these days.

After having seen the condition of the women's soccer facility during their youth camp I think that should be on the list of upgrades before we're spend on adding new sports.

Yep, **** baseball.

We have kind of beaten this subject to death at this point. Baseball at the major school D-1 level requires a substantial initial and ongoing investment that we simply do not have. Short of a well heeled benefactor who endows the entire program, I just don’t see it happening anytime in the next 20-30 years. Maybe never.

I'd love to have baseball but, from what I gather on here, it doesn't seem to be the time for it. Hopefully, that will happen in the future. I was watching Auburn and Florida play last night, that was awesome, accept for the ending. That poor dude had the ball in his glove, couldn't hold onto it, and it went over the ****ing fence. I wouldn't want to be him today. After watching that, I thought about how cool it would be for CU to be a part of it. Fix the more pressing needs like the women's soccer team facilities, geez.

I'd love to have baseball but, from what I gather on here, it doesn't seem to be the time for it. Hopefully, that will happen in the future. I was watching Auburn and Florida play last night, that was awesome, accept for the ending. That poor dude had the ball in his glove, couldn't hold onto it, and it went over the ****ing fence. I wouldn't want to be him today. After watching that, I thought about how cool it would be for CU to be a part of it. Fix the more pressing needs like the women's soccer team facilities, geez.
I agree.

Some people may have gathered from my posts that I'm anti baseball. I'm not.

What I want to see is Folsom and CEC built up and monetized to their greatest potential. From that, and while that's going on, I want to see a Soccer & Field Sports facility developed, a Lacrosse Stadium built, continued enhancements to the facilities & program support for T&F and XC, and the addition of some low-cost sports that would share these same facilities and give CU great opportunities to have more programs fielding Top 25 teams that can compete for national championships.

Once all of that is handled, then I think it would be time to talk about hockey and baseball/softball. I believe that we are more than a decade away from being able to start that conversation.

I agree.

What I want to see is Folsom and CEC built up and monetized to their greatest potential. From that, and while that's going on, I want to see a Soccer & Field Sports facility developed, a Lacrosse Stadium built, continued enhancements to the facilities & program support for T&F and XC, and the addition of some low-cost sports that would share these same facilities and give CU great opportunities to have more programs fielding Top 25 teams that can compete for national championships.

Once all of that is handled, then I think it would be time to talk about hockey and baseball/softball. I believe that we are more than a decade away from being able to start that conversation.
This. I actually really enjoy baseball, especially live baseball at the ballpark. The economics just don’t work for it now, and probably won’t for many, many years. If somebody went up to RG with $50Million and offered to pay for it, I’d hope his first reaction would be “can I convince you to donate for one of these other projects that are a more immediate priority?”

DMac was ripping CU yesterday for it as well, using Utah and Washington State as comparisons that do have it. These guys need Buffnik to hit them with some knowledge.
Utah's program sucks.
Wazzu's program hasn't had a winning conference record since 2010 and its AD is facing huge budget problems.

So, I guess the argument here is that loving baseball means that you'd love for CU to have a program even if the team would suck and cause financial problems for the AD that hurt all sports.

I agree.

Can't speak for everybody but I didn't take it that way. It doesn't make a lot of sense to add programs when the existing ones need upgrades. Get those programs the needed fixes and visit adding baseball, hockey, lacrosse, etc down the road. That does make sense. A metal shed as a locker room, wtf? Umm, yeah, might wanna look into that.

So, I guess the argument here is that loving baseball means that you'd love for CU to have a program even if the team would suck and cause financial problems for the AD that hurt all sports.

I don't think anybody's actually said that in all seriousness. The baseball proponents, myself included, are fully aware of the financial limitations facing the AD and agree that the money they're bringing in should be used primarily on football and on the facilities for the existing sports for the foreseeable future.

Wanting baseball back at CU is like saying "I should buy a boat!" It sounds fun in theory, but in reality, we know it's not smart or economically feasible. But, ****, just let us dream.

DMac was ripping CU yesterday for it as well, using Utah and Washington State as comparisons that do have it. These guys need Buffnik to hit them with some knowledge.

Someone should asking that ****ing dbag if his alma mater has a baseball team. It doesn't.

I agree.

This

CU has a lot of things to fix in terms of the entire athletic program before it is in a condition to maintain an even decent baseball program.

We still have title IX issues than need to be addressed, we have a number of other sports that would make more financial sense to add to the program and which would provide the opportunity for more on-field success.

I don’t know if this is something that just came in or if this is referencing a commitment from a few years ago. Obviously it would be great if this was a recent commitment.

In any event, the increased attention to fundraising under RG has been spectacular.

We used to be lucky to attract 2,000 people to the Denver Bears game at Mile High back in the day. You can’t judge the future from that kind of past. With people like you naysayers, we wouldn’t have the Colorado Rockies. Believe me, we heard the same arguments you are making here.

Just being as realistic as I can be. Baseball doesn't appear to be coming back anytime soon. The BuffZone article Nik posted did mention that CU is looking to build a new lacrosse only stadium and judging by that, it's more obvious what the next men's sport will be and it will be lacrosse. Also in light of the 2026 World Cup being awarded to the United Bid (US-Canada-Mexico), perhaps there might need to be discussions about men's soccer.

And the cost to build those facilities would make baseball a nonstarter for the time being especially after the difficulty of obtaining the money to build the Champions Center all these years.

And comparing Denver to Boulder isn't a good place to start. Denver was getting a MLB team no matter what due to its location and fast growing population.

Talk of bringing baseball back to CU needs to die already.

And yet, we have 200+ posts on the topic.

Back