What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Long-term plan for CU facilities upgrades

I'm a season ticket holder for years and have donated I'm the past. I've literally never been called to donate and I'm quite sure if they asked me to donate even $100 I would.

And I fit right into the demographic they are trying to reach
Really? I get calls from the ad all the damn time and the most I have ever donated is 200 with my general donation seats.

Back to the beginning of BuffNiks post ----

Based on RG's quote;
"We really need to fix the west side of the stadium; we need seating, we need bathrooms; we need more functional space,"
One might assume that doing something with Balch Fieldhouse, could be the #1 priority?

As for the 10 year plan, it's anyone's guess as how they will prioritize the wishlist. The number of goals he mentioned are sometimes moving targets. $$$$

Interesting to me is that RG specifically said adding seats is important to the west side plan.

The same article said that CU is down on overall ticket renewals for football compared to last year's pace, but that it is actually ahead of pace with the premium Club seats which are about sold out. That strongly suggests to me that what I've been talking about is the wave of the future: increase the number of premium seat offerings and then offer the rest of the seats on the cheap to pack the house and create the atmosphere that the premium seat buyers want and will add value to their purchase. Chairbacks, food & drink service at the seats, cup holders, better sound system, wi-fi, nice bathrooms and other concourse amenities. That should be the case for a lot more seats, people sitting in those seats should pay a serious premium, and the rest of the stadium should get a significant price reduction - particularly the upper half of the 100 level. Look at any game and what seats are available, it's the top 15 rows of 100 that cost as much as the first row. (This assumes we keep the current configuration.)

I'd actually like to see the students stretched across the length of the east side with a divider halfway up the section that makes the rows in the 100 and 200 levels above them chairbacks. Would make Folsom much louder all the way across. Give the students 214 & 215 in the SE corner, too. Then make the south end zone value seats for paying fans. When the west side is re-done, field level (100s) becomes more like a club level, Flatirons Club gets re-worked to be smaller box seats that seat 4-8 people, a 200 level gets added above sections 101-104 where we stick visiting fans, the NW corner gets enclosed to make a full bowl with more seating, and the SW corner gets a beer garden patio deck like the NE corner has but would have even better views.
cf240d27-06a3-42ea-a488-50870c93c15e.jpg

If I’m understanding you correctly, you want the student section to be sections 110-121 with the sections cut in half at the middle row mark?

If that’s the case, I actually don’t think that will improve volume. You see that layout a lot in basketball stadiums, and it’s hard for students to coordinate chants and cheers. Whereas if the section is how is is now and is more packed than stretched out across the east side, chants are easier to catch on, and the volume increases.

My number one priority would be completely re-vamping the sound in Folsom. The sound is crap. I went to the Utah game this past year in Rice Eccles, and their sound was incredible. Really made a difference for the game day experience. I think it also made the fans louder because the in-game hype was better.

Back to the beginning of BuffNiks post ----

Based on RG's quote;
"We really need to fix the west side of the stadium; we need seating, we need bathrooms; we need more functional space,"
One might assume that doing something with Balch Fieldhouse, could be the #1 priority?

As for the 10 year plan, it's anyone's guess as how they will prioritize the wishlist. The number of goals he mentioned are sometimes moving targets. $$$$
Yep, **** baseball.

I'd like to see a long-term play to push Folsom capacity over 70k.

That may seem crazy to people considering the historical attendance, but I believe in big goals.

I'd like to see a long-term play to push Folsom capacity over 70k.

That may seem crazy to people considering the historical attendance, but I believe in big goals.
Depends on how long term you’re thinking. I can’t see that being approved until they can consistently get to the 45k-50k number for all home games. I know they should be forward looking, but the ROI on adding that much capacity in the near future isn’t good

Depends on how long term you’re thinking. I can’t see that being approved until they can consistently get to the 45k-50k number for all home games. I know they should be forward looking, but the ROI on adding that much capacity in the near future isn’t good
I'd definitely stage it. And my first stage may actually be another capacity reduction resulting from chair back/ cup holder seats to create more premium seats in the 100s and differentiate the value of those seats versus the 200s that may be only 10 feet above and have a better sight line.

Lower capacity (by a bit), but more revenue generation and an opportunity to increase demand by shrinking supply (creating scarcity). That, I think, would be something that could be done without a capital raise and would set the stage for a major project on Balch, the west side - including a full upper deck, and the NW/SW corners.

I'd definitely stage it. And my first stage may actually be another capacity reduction resulting from chair back/ cup holder seats to create more premium seats in the 100s and differentiate the value of those seats versus the 200s that may be only 10 feet above and have a better sight line.

Lower capacity (by a bit), but more revenue generation and an opportunity to increase demand by shrinking supply (creating scarcity). That, I think, would be something that could be done without a capital raise and would set the stage for a major project on Balch, the west side - including a full upper deck, and the NW/SW corners.

They could redo the west side maintaining the general structure of Balch but providing some premium seating that is covered and somewhat protected from the wind and allowing easy access to the inside of Balch with concessions, RRs, etc. Do it in seatbacks and I think you could get some serious revenue in seat licenses from some of the older fans who aren't quite in the luxury box category but who are willing to pay for added comfort.

They could redo the west side maintaining the general structure of Balch but providing some premium seating that is covered and somewhat protected from the wind and allowing easy access to the inside of Balch with concessions, RRs, etc. Do it in seatbacks and I think you could get some serious revenue in seat licenses from some of the older fans who aren't quite in the luxury box category but who are willing to pay for added comfort.
I don't think you can mess around there unless it's a stage in a larger plan. Can't be putting stuff in only to rip it out later or it would be poor planning and use of funds. If you're doing stages on the west and the university isn't ready to tackle Balch (not just an AD project), then I'd focus on the NW corner to enclose that end and add an upper level of 200 seats. That would probably be my first project to increase capacity, fwiw. I like that it would make Folsom louder while also pushing visiting fans off the field level unless they went outside of their team allotment.

**** the old AD for giving visiting fans good seats. It’s honestly incredible.

**** the old AD for giving visiting fans good seats. It’s honestly incredible.
I think we're used to it at this point and most CU fans don't realize how different it is from the seats that visitors get at other college stadiums. Or how crazy unusual it is to allow visitor fans to control the noise levels for one of the two end zones. It's absolutely bizarre that Folsom is set up as it is.

I think we're used to it at this point and most CU fans don't realize how different it is from the seats that visitors get at other college stadiums. Or how crazy unusual it is to allow visitor fans to control the noise levels for one of the two end zones. It's absolutely bizarre that Folsom is set up as it is.

Agreed, it’s asinine. Stick them on the upper reaches of the stadium. We don’t have to cater to other teams fans, they’re lucky we give them any tickets.

Again, his mind is so fascinating to me. Dude leaves no stone unturned.

My favorite part of that video was the whole: "You wear the BLACK, as a tribute. You wear the BLACK not when you die, you wear the black to a funeral. You wear the BLACK as a tribute to the one that is in the ground"

LOVE IT!!

They look happy and giddy about what they see and what they’re about to build. Cannot get enough of it.

SIAP. Great news about the endzone for the Nubs game. It's been needed for a while:

When are they going to replace the fading, odd colored turf around the perimeter of the grass field? With what, I don’t know but that stuff is 30 years old.

I took a tour of the Champion Center today (and got to see Shedeur, Kordell Stewart, Michael Westbrook, and Terrell Owens) and they mentioned that the west side renovation is being planned, $150 million is the price tag. They are definitely trying to strike while the iron is hot and get these projects moving.

Last edited:
I took a tour of the Champion Center today (and got to see Shedeur, Kordell Stewart, Michael Westbrook, and Terrell Owens) and they mentioned that the west side renovation is being planned, $150 million is the price tag. They are definitely trying to strike while the iron is hot and get these projects moving.
We’ve got the best stadium and location. Can’t wait to see what they’ve got planned for the west side. Any idea what kind of reno we might see there?

Back