What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lookalike & Game thread - RV (AP poll)/ #23 (NET rankings) Men's bball hosts #4 (AP)/ #11 (NET) Oregon (Boulder, Thursday, 1/02, 7:00 PM MT, ESPN2)

The officials tonight were fine. There was some questionable ****, but there is in every game. For those who don't know, I officiate at the high school level in Denver, and I want to try and get to that level.....so I watch officials because it helps me get better as much as I do the teams when I watch college games-Mike Reed's one of the better referees in this part of the country. Bo Boroski's one of the best in the country-but he works mainly Big 10 games (way more physical basketball for the most part). I've heard Dave Hall (one of the assignors I work for and a referee out of Denver) talk about how college officiating works-its not uncommon for a guy to come work a game from another part of the country (we see John Higgins 4-5 times a year as an example) for a game as big as this one was, but they're still referring a style of ball they don't see that much. DG Nelson's okay, but that technical he stuck Bey with was bad I thought.
Good insights, much appreciated.

Duck fan is gonna Duck fan.

I had a particularly obnoxious one behind me tonight. He just kept going with the stupid takes. Every missed shot by Oregon should have been a foul, every foul on Oregon was a bull**** call, and every foul on CU was met with a "finally!". The best was the signature superfan comment of exasperation as the game wound down, "These guys aren't even good!". LOL

It was good to see him and his obviously mortified wife rushing towards the exits as the clock expired.

Duck fan is gonna Duck fan.

I had a particularly obnoxious one behind me tonight. He just kept going with the stupid takes. Every missed shot by Oregon should have been a foul, every foul on Oregon was a bull**** call, and every foul on CU was met with a "finally!". The best was the signature superfan comment of exasperation as the game wound down, "These guys aren't even good!". LOL

It was good to see him and his obviously mortified wife rushing towards the exits as the clock expired.
I thought they were a whiny team, almost as bad as ASU. Pritchard can go home now having never won in Boulder.

The officials tonight were fine. There was some questionable ****, but there is in every game. For those who don't know, I officiate at the high school level in Denver, and I want to try and get to that level.....so I watch officials because it helps me get better as much as I do the teams when I watch college games-Mike Reed's one of the better referees in the sport. Bo Boroski's one of the best in the country-but he works mainly Big 10 games (way more physical basketball for the most part). I've heard Dave Hall (one of the assignors I work for and a referee out of Denver) talk about how college officiating works-its not uncommon for a guy to come work a game from another part of the country (we see John Higgins 4-5 times a year as an example) for a game as big as this one was, but if you're a Big 10 (primarily) guy like him working a big Pac 12 game, its a bit different. DG Nelson's okay, but that technical he stuck Bey with was bad I thought.
The one that bothered me was the call on Battey where the Duck player lowered his shoulder and kept driving into Evan’s chest while all Evan was doing standing his ground. I see the offensive player get that call all the time and it drives me nuts. And Evan gets called for a lot of ticky tack stuff because of perception IMO.

Last edited:
Only 8 turnovers. Nice. And as bad as our 3 point shooting seemed, we shot 32%.
Took care of the ball, hit big shots, rebounded better, and most importantly, played D like a mofo. That'll win you games right there. Battey set some big time screens, I love it, he just has to be careful with how soft the game is now. Plus, he's a big dude and won't get the benefit of the doubt, most of the time. It was textbook screen work, though. Proud of that young man, he's been through plenty and came out swinging. The game was hardly the best game our guys could play, they got the W though. Plenty to work on, but plenty to work with. Great win fellas.(y)

The officials tonight were fine. There was some questionable ****, but there is in every game. For those who don't know, I officiate at the high school level in Denver, and I want to try and get to that level.....so I watch officials because it helps me get better as much as I do the teams when I watch college games-Mike Reed's one of the better referees in the sport. Bo Boroski's (he worked the TT-Sparty game at the Final Four LY) one of the best in the country-but he works mainly Big 10 games (way more physical basketball for the most part). I've heard Dave Hall (one of the assignors I work for and a referee out of Denver) talk about how college officiating works-its not uncommon for a guy to come work a game from another part of the country (we see John Higgins 4-5 times a year as an example) for a game as big as this one was, but if you're a Big 10 (primarily) guy like him working a big Pac 12 game, its a bit different. DG Nelson's okay, but that technical he stuck Bey with was bad I thought.

**** YOU ZEBRA!!!!!!

BUFFS WIN!!!!! BUFFS WIN!!!!!

Beating the #4 team in the country and we only get 9 pts between Gatling, Kountz and Daniels. If we can just get one of those guys going, how unstoppable would this team be?

One really great day for me!!!
Had sex with my wife around 1am
Harris Commits in the afternoon
Porter Jr breaks out for Nuggets win
Buffs look dynamic in team win over Ducks
Phillip Lindsay and Mel Tucker chilling at BBall game getting national run
Damn what a great day!!!
Go Buffs
Go Me
giphy.gif

The officials tonight were fine. There was some questionable ****, but there is in every game. For those who don't know, I officiate at the high school level in Denver, and I want to try and get to that level.....so I watch officials because it helps me get better as much as I do the teams when I watch college games-Mike Reed's one of the better referees in the sport. Bo Boroski's (he worked the TT-Sparty game at the Final Four LY) one of the best in the country-but he works mainly Big 10 games (way more physical basketball for the most part). I've heard Dave Hall (one of the assignors I work for and a referee out of Denver) talk about how college officiating works-its not uncommon for a guy to come work a game from another part of the country (we see John Higgins 4-5 times a year as an example) for a game as big as this one was, but if you're a Big 10 (primarily) guy like him working a big Pac 12 game, its a bit different. DG Nelson's okay, but that technical he stuck Bey with was bad I thought.
Officiating wasn't horrible, but at least 4 bad calls/non-calls in the last 10 minutes, favoring 'o'. Refs tend to favor the marquee teams.

Ah, to be a fly on the inner cranium of Dana Altman today. He had to be questioning everything about himself on the flight back to Eugene.

One really great day for me!!!
Had sex with my wife around 1am
Harris Commits in the afternoon
Porter Jr breaks out for Nuggets win
Buffs look dynamic in team win over Ducks
Phillip Lindsay and Mel Tucker chilling at BBall game getting national run
Damn what a great day!!!
Go Buffs
Go Me

I appreciate you letting us know the time as well, that would have been my follow up question for sure.

One of the most fun games in recent memory....and man am I paying for it now. Ugh, but worth it, great win by the Buffs. A typical Taf team would get ahead of themselves and drop one of the next two home games. Can't let that happen and I don't see Kin or Battey letting this team relax.

One of the most fun games in recent memory....and man am I paying for it now. Ugh, but worth it, great win by the Buffs. A typical Taf team would get ahead of themselves and drop one of the next two home games. Can't let that happen and I don't see Kin or Battey letting this team relax.

Yep. Two huge games coming up. We can't afford a home loss to middle of the Pac teams.

I would say they were just okay. The thing that was disappointing about this crew was there was a point in the second half where you could actually see/feel the moment getting to them. Their calls became inconsistent and delayed.

What a total ass: not 1 word of praise for Tad or the team. 'They lost due to O rebounding and TOs'. No mention of our D at all.

I would say they were just okay. The thing that was disappointing about this crew was there was a point in the second half where you could actually see/feel the moment getting to them. Their calls became inconsistent and delayed.

That was the way the 2nd half played out-the bigger the margin, the more they're bound to let things go. I see that all the time. Ducks rally and all the sudden youve gotta change the way you call the game.

Agreed Coach.....

Stop talking about just the conference. I've been saying this group needs a body of work that would put them in the 3-6 seed range on Selection Sunday. Games like Oregon, Washington, and Stanford (who the NET loves) are huge. No letdowns though. If we're seeded 3-6 or even higher, theres no reason this team can't make it to Atlanta.

Said this in a tweet to Rothstein-He talked about Dayton as a final four possibility. Could happen-they're a damn good team. Time to include us in that same convo given we beat them on a neutral floor.

That was the way the 2nd half played out-the bigger the margin, the more they're bound to let things go. I see that all the time. Ducks rally and all the sudden youve gotta change the way you call the game.

Really? You change the way you call the game during the game? As a player, how the **** are you supposed to know what is what? I ask as basketball observer, not hard-core fan.

Really? You change the way you call the game during the game? As a player, how the **** are you supposed to know what is what? I ask as basketball observer, not hard-core fan.

Let me respond this way-Did you watch the Iona game Sunday? I did. I thought the officiating was pretty good, but they also let a lot go in the second half. If it doesn't create an advantage or isn't egregious (hand-checking on the perimeter), it either doesn't need to be called, or you can try to make more of an effort to talk kids out of things before you call it. That's kind of what I'm talking about-parents or casual fans like you probably are don't notice it.

Last edited:
Back